The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. As for the i7, I'm not only going to use this computer for games, I was planning on using it for audio and video production as well, should have specified. The graphics card isn't so important to me because, being a CAG and all, I don't really have anything new unless it's been 7.50 or less because I'm cheap lol. So I probably wouldn't need something that can play skyrim or bf3 on ultra because I don't plan on getting them for a while anyway. I do however plan to get a 2nd graphics card down the line to crossfire. And I have a 2TB drive laying around I'm going to use, also planning on getting a 2nd SSD at some point and trying to dual boot into OSX for the music production end of things.

Hey guys seeing as everyone is now talking about Greenlight I feel like I found a gem in terms of games that I think people would like to see come to Steam, I hope you guys will vote for them.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198070961165/myworkshopfiles/?section=greenlight

They are DTP Entertainment AG, they are looking to bring Gray Matter, Black Mirror II, Black Mirror III, Venetica, and Crash Time 5, all to Steam, I hope you guys will vote for them, they are quality games, and have very little votes thus far. I know a lot of folks here like Gray Matter, and Venetica and the others I'm sure as well so please vote so we can see them on Steam.

[quote name='monkeyz']Hey guys seeing as everyone is now talking about Greenlight I feel like I found a gem in terms of games that I think people would like to see come to Steam, I hope you guys will vote for them.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198070961165/myworkshopfiles/?section=greenlight

They are DTP Entertainment AG, they are looking to bring Gray Matter, Black Mirror II, Black Mirror III, Venetica, and Crash Time 5, all to Steam, I hope you guys will vote for them, they are quality games, and have very little votes thus far. I know a lot of folks here like Gray Matter, and Venetica and the others I'm sure as well so please vote so we can see them on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'd love for Gray Matter to come to Steam.

[quote name='monkeyz']Hey guys seeing as everyone is now talking about Greenlight I feel like I found a gem in terms of games that I think people would like to see come to Steam, I hope you guys will vote for them.

They are DTP Entertainment AG, they are looking to bring Gray Matter, Black Mirror II, Black Mirror III, Venetica, and Crash Time 5, all to Steam, I hope you guys will vote for them, they are quality games, and have very little votes thus far. I know a lot of folks here like Gray Matter, and Venetica and the others I'm sure as well so please vote so we can see them on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Voted for'em! I almost bought Gray Matter, and the Black Mirror games from GG. I'd love to see them on Steam.

[quote name='Seraphym']Sleeping Dogs for $25 at Nuuvem if anyone's interested.[/QUOTE]
Picked the game up for $35 recently and I have a little over 6 hours in it. So far I am liking it a lot.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Thanks for the responses. As for the i7, I'm not only going to use this computer for games, I was planning on using it for audio and video production as well, should have specified. The graphics card isn't so important to me because, being a CAG and all, I don't really have anything new unless it's been 7.50 or less because I'm cheap lol. So I probably wouldn't need something that can play skyrim or bf3 on ultra because I don't plan on getting them for a while anyway. I do however plan to get a 2nd graphics card down the line to crossfire. And I have a 2TB drive laying around I'm going to use, also planning on getting a 2nd SSD at some point and trying to dual boot into OSX for the music production end of things.[/QUOTE]

In that case do what you want haha. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but it sounds like you already made up your mind about this. If you ask about PC building in the CAG Steam thread, I just assumed you are building the PC for gaming and want to get the most for your money. I honestly don't know too much about A/V editing and production (though perhaps other people might), so I can't help you there. Good luck!

[quote name='Seraphym']Sleeping Dogs for $25 at Nuuvem if anyone's interested.[/QUOTE]

Nuuvem removed Paypal last month for fraudulent accounts and solely use their own digital payment service to verify now. No more international buyers unless you have a CPF for now. They're in talks with Paypal to get it back online.

Here's the post.

[quote name='imac2much']In that case do what you want haha. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but it sounds like you already made up your mind about this. If you ask about PC building in the CAG Steam thread, I just assumed you are building the PC for gaming and want to get the most for your money. I honestly don't know too much about A/V editing and production (though perhaps other people might), so I can't help you there. Good luck![/QUOTE]
Haha I get what you're saying and its understandable, probably could have and should have been more specific with what I wanted to do. I like the build I set up but to be honest I'm still kind of new to all this (2nd build, and my first was recommended by CAGs) I just didn't know if these parts would work well together, if my power supply is good enough, etc. Or if I could get things just as good / better for less. Just figured I'd get the OK from people that know more bout this stuff than I do before I pulled the trigger on it. Thanks CAGs!

[quote name='pantsattack']The Basement Collection's fan discount was a limited time thing apparently. I wish I would have known.[/QUOTE]

Oh darn. I put it in my basket to purchase the next time I bought another Steam game. Oh well, it'll be on sale another time.

[quote name='monkeyz']http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198070961165/myworkshopfiles/?section=greenlight

Excellent! Thanks for the heads-up.

Gray Matter and the Black Mirror games have been on my "please come to Steam" list for a while. Vote them up!

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Haha I get what you're saying and its understandable, probably could have and should have been more specific with what I wanted to do. I like the build I set up but to be honest I'm still kind of new to all this (2nd build, and my first was recommended by CAGs) I just didn't know if these parts would work well together, if my power supply is good enough, etc. Or if I could get things just as good / better for less. Just figured I'd get the OK from people that know more bout this stuff than I do before I pulled the trigger on it. Thanks CAGs![/QUOTE]

Go to reddit and vist the r/buildapc subreddit. Post your build and what you want to do with it and they'll help. Thats where I went for help when I built mine.

hey guys; quick question:

i have portal 2 for steam, which i play on my account; i've installed it on two computers, and i'd like to play with my son on his account, however, when i try to load the game on his name it just takes me to the steam page of portal 2. is there any way to play on his name and mine at the same time without having to buy the game again?

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']hey guys; quick question:

i have portal 2 for steam, which i play on my account; i've installed it on two computers, and i'd like to play with my son on his account, however, when i try to load the game on his name it just takes me to the steam page of portal 2. is there any way to play on his name and mine at the same time without having to buy the game again?[/QUOTE]

No, it's tied to your account. He can play it but steam would have to be in offline mode as you can't be online on two pcs.

i have portal 2 for steam, which i play on my account; i've installed it on two computers, and i'd like to play with my son on his account, however, when i try to load the game on his name it just takes me to the steam page of portal 2. is there any way to play on his name and mine at the same time without having to buy the game again?[/QUOTE]

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847904

[quote name='Blade']Not related to the current topic, but everyone must vote for Shantae: Risky's Revenge on Greenlight.

Vote for it, please! :D[/QUOTE]

This would mark both the first and second time I read about a Greenlight applicant in this thread and went immediately to vote for it. Thank you both for making me aware of these. :D

I was tempted to buy Grey Matter the last two times Amazon had it on sale for five bucks, but I figured I was more likely to play my Steam backlog than to get around to it. Buying it on Steam would be ideal.

I've come to realize a major issue with Greenlight: I'll buy just about anything on Steam, so the voting mechanic effectively means little to me :lol:

Edit: If you're a boardgamer, Zooloretto is on Greenlight. Not sure if the licensing is legit, but if it is, I would love to see it come to Steam.

[quote name='DPsycho']This would mark both the first and second time I read about a Greenlight applicant in this thread and went immediately to vote for it. Thank you both for making me aware of these. :D[/QUOTE]
I, too, feel quite enthusiastic about sending these two games through. Sadly, both Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Gray Matter currently have only 1% of the votes necessary to run them through.

CAG's, look into your hearts, not your wallets, and vote for these two titles.

I think my 75% off portal coupon is still valid, I can gift it to you if so. PM me if you want it.

Edit: My bad, sorry about that. The coupon must have expired because it's not in my inventory anymore.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I, too, feel quite enthusiastic about sending these two games through. Sadly, both Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Gray Matter currently have only 1% of the votes necessary to run them through.

CAG's, look into your hearts, not your wallets, and vote for these two titles.[/QUOTE]

I haven't really been paying attention to Greenlight much, but it seems weird that both games are only at 1%. Even Black Mesa is only at 39% and I've heard a lot about that lately. Are they all low because a lot of people are voting "no"?

[quote name='suwillgetu']I haven't really been paying attention to Greenlight much, but it seems weird that both games are only at 1%. Even Black Mesa is only at 39% and I've heard a lot about that lately. Are they all low because a lot of people are voting "no"?[/QUOTE]

No's don't matter in that regard. They are low because they are older games that just got put on, and getting little to no promotion, whereas when Black Mesa is long awaited, free, and got a ton of push across the internet when it landed on greenlight.

TLDR, it's low because no one is really going to the pages yet.

Not to mention the amount of upvotes required is probably too high at the moment. Valve has said that the system isn't set yet, so we may see a change.

[quote name='suwillgetu']I haven't really been paying attention to Greenlight much, but it seems weird that both games are only at 1%. Even Black Mesa is only at 39% and I've heard a lot about that lately. Are they all low because a lot of people are voting "no"?[/QUOTE]

They're low because they just went up yesterday, and because there are 30 pages of Greenlight games to parse through, and because it takes a long time for these games to generate enough votes to earn a percentage point. Even popular games that went up the day Greenlight launched are hovering between 1 & 3%.

It'll take a while before anything gets accepted.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Not to mention the amount of upvotes required is probably too high at the moment. Valve has said that the system isn't set yet, so we may see a change.[/QUOTE]

There will have to be a change; there just isn't enough people with enough or willing to dedicate enough time to rate game on Greenlight. They'll definitely have to cut down the current requirement.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Someone said McPixel was at 11% which would be the highest number I've seen if its true.[/QUOTE]
Black Mesa is at 40% right now.

Either way, I think it's been said that a game does not actually require 100% to be accepted. It's just a gauge to see how much interest there is.

Also, a game reaching 100% doesn't mean that Valve is forced to accept it, either. It can still be rejected for other practical reasons. Though ideally. those reasons would see it removed long before they get that kind of voting power behind it.

They set a purposely high threshold because, well, setting one that proved too low from the start would have been a fiasco.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Black Mesa is at 40% right now.

Either way, I think it's been said that a game does not actually require 100% to be accepted. It's just a gauge to see how much interest there is.[/QUOTE]

I think Project Zomboid is at around 28%. I've decided Greenlight just annoys me. I see all kinds of stupid games with stickman, or skinnyman, or stupid tall gangly man, or whatever the heck that stupid flavor of the week character is with a bunch of upvotes, and then a classic like Silent Storm with no love. A game like Silent Storm shouldn't even have to on Greenlight, it should just be a no brainer.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Wrong topic, but can someone let me know what they think about this? I'm not looking to spend anything other than the current total though

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
$309.99

ASUS P8Z77-V ATX Intel Motherboard $189.99

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Free with mobo purchase

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W Power Supply $59.99

nMEDIAPC Black HTPC 6000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case $69.99 (for my old computer. Using that case for this one and turning that into an htpc)

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 100315L Video Card with Eyefinity $149.99

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-90G 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $69.99

Grand Total: $849.94

Also got a $15 gift card and $40 in rebates coming. Trying to take advantage of these weekend sales at newegg so I decided to post here looking for a quick response. I'm happy with all this stuff just checking if it will all work well together or if I can get something better/cheaper elsewhere. Thanks guys![/QUOTE]
You can save 306 by getting this http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P41700478&cat=CPU get some liquid nitrogen and overclock it to 7 GHZ.

[quote name='Blade']Not related to the current topic, but everyone must vote for Shantae: Risky's Revenge on Greenlight.

Vote for it, please! :D[/QUOTE]
done just because it's you.

loved black mirror would love to see their other stuff on Steam.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Wrong topic, but can someone let me know what they think about this? I'm not looking to spend anything other than the current total though

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
$309.99

ASUS P8Z77-V ATX Intel Motherboard $189.99

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Free with mobo purchase

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W Power Supply $59.99

nMEDIAPC Black HTPC 6000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case $69.99 (for my old computer. Using that case for this one and turning that into an htpc)

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 100315L Video Card with Eyefinity $149.99

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-90G 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $69.99

Grand Total: $849.94

Also got a $15 gift card and $40 in rebates coming. Trying to take advantage of these weekend sales at newegg so I decided to post here looking for a quick response. I'm happy with all this stuff just checking if it will all work well together or if I can get something better/cheaper elsewhere. Thanks guys![/QUOTE]
I just built a system, have some $$$ saving tips:

Get the i5-3570($230 on amazon) if your main use is gaming. you can research yourself, but there is only a few % difference in most games between the two and the 3570 will save you some cash. With the card you choose the i7 seems like an odd match anyway, I'd suggest using the money save on the i5 toward a better/newer card. The strides made in the current GPU generation with DX11 & tessellation are substantial. and I havent heard about any big new DX updates coming, DX11 could be like 9 and stay with us for a while, meaning a decent DX11 card will hold you over a bit longer. For $60 of the savings can net you a VisionTek 7850 instead at amazon, so you still come out ahead

Dump the Agility 3, when amazon has the 128GB agility 4 for $55 AR right now(are you a CAG or an imposter? really man, use a deals site). And if you can, look for or wait for a deal on a Samsung 830 SSD drive. its faster and more reliable, and on sale NO more than $20 more than that 3.

My new rig(Hadn't had one in YEARS, so I was tempted to go crazy until the CAg in me kicked in):
Corsair C70 Vengeance (drab green) case
(Extra two Corsair Performance AF fans in the side window)
P8z77-V
i5-3570
Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600 Memory
MSi GTX 660Ti Power Edition 2GDR/OC
Samsung 830 256GB
HSGT 7K3000 2TB
Corsair H100 CPU cooler

I had it run Folding at home for 8 hours, while lightly OC'd to 4.1, and the CPU never got above 38 degrees C running full throttle the entire time, so I like the cooler. Have a OC profile for over 4.3 MHz when I want to push it that far, but the system got unstable without overvolting at 4.4. Didn't want to overvolt so just stopped there

Hi all,

I have a stupid question. Hopefully there's a simple (maybe even stupid) answer.

I've seen some people selling several keys for one Steam game here in CAG's trading section and in the Steam forum trading section. People with something like 10 keys for a game not even out yet, or a game that is reasonably new. Doing the math, some of our fellow CAGs are carrying several hundred dollars of Steam keys. Crazy.

For preorders, are these people going to the same websites as the rest of us - GreenManGaming, GamersGate, Amazon - and just buying a dozen keys for one game when they think its at its lowest pre-order price and then treating those keys like some publicly-traded stock? Or are they small-scale merchants with access to keys directly from Steam because they buy so many?

I just don't get it. How is it that reputable members of CAG can sell pre-order Steam keys for $30 when GMG/GG/Amazon are selling them for $45 (or $38 if on sale) three months before launch? How is that profitable for them? Or have 8 keys for a game that's only been out for three weeks and sell the key at $25?

I'm just not understanding where the profit is.... I get the whole buy low, sell high mindset, but I wonder if there's more to it than that.
Thanks. :D

[quote name='Corpekata']No's don't matter in that regard. They are low because they are older games that just got put on, and getting little to no promotion, whereas when Black Mesa is long awaited, free, and got a ton of push across the internet when it landed on greenlight.

TLDR, it's low because no one is really going to the pages yet.[/QUOTE]

Hmm ok I think I get how it works now. It'll be interesting to see what gets chosen first.

[quote name='Woodlands']They're low because they just went up yesterday, and because there are 30 pages of Greenlight games to parse through, and because it takes a long time for these games to generate enough votes to earn a percentage point. Even popular games that went up the day Greenlight launched are hovering between 1 & 3%.

It'll take a while before anything gets accepted.[/QUOTE]

Ahh ok, I didn't realize they just started the other day. I knew it was recently but I thought it started earlier in the week. Hopefully more people start voting!

[quote name='lupe guillotine']They get them from Antarctica Wholesale![/QUOTE]
Don't forget the moon. Steam keys are so damn cheap up there.

[quote name='lupe guillotine']They get them from Antarctica Wholesale![/QUOTE]

Okay, two follow-up questions:

Generally speaking, what's the lowest price for a pre-order on a typical $50 retail game?
And, roughly, when is the best time to pull the trigger on a pre-order? Right when the game is first announced (i.e. 9 months before release)? Three months out? etc.

Thanks.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Okay, two follow-up questions:

Generally speaking, what's the lowest price for a pre-order on a typical $50 retail game?
And, roughly, when is the best time to pull the trigger on a pre-order? Right when the game is first announced (i.e. 9 months before release)? Three months out? etc.

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]
Best time to pick up a pre-order is when you find it somewhere for under $40. Generally speaking, that doesn't happen with every game (especially from companies like Activision), and you're not going to find it any lower. For example, Borderlands 2 was available for about $36 through a really good Amazon promotion. I don't think that has a lot to do with timing, you just have to keep your eyes open for the best promotion/price.

That said, pre-orders are only good if they come with bonuses that you're really interested in. Otherwise, if you can wait a year, you can easily get the game for 50% off or more (and obviously it doesn't always take that long; look at Spec Ops and Max Payne 3). Only pre-order games that you MUST play now; otherwise waiting will save you a lot of money.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Best time to pick up a pre-order is when you find it somewhere for under $40. Generally speaking, that doesn't happen with every game (especially from companies like Activision), and you're not going to find it any lower. For example, Borderlands 2 was available for about $36 through a really good Amazon promotion. I don't think that has a lot to do with timing, you just have to keep your eyes open for the best promotion/price.

That said, pre-orders are only good if they come with bonuses that you're really interested in. Otherwise, if you can wait a year, you can easily get the game for 50% off or more. Only pre-order games that you MUST play now; otherwise waiting will save you a lot of money.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

I understand with games that waiting is preferable if the consumer can wait. I was thinking more about a game I really want to have for release - like Dishonored ($60 retail) or Bioshock Infinite ($50 retail).

I have Dishonored pre-ordered at NewEgg for $45 and Bioshock Infinite pre-ordered for $38. Sounds like that's as good as their gonna get prior to release (and immediately after release), eh?

Thanks again.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Thanks for the reply.

I understand with games that waiting is preferable if the consumer can wait. I was thinking more about a game I really want to have for release - like Dishonored ($60 retail) or Bioshock Infinite ($50 retail).

I have Dishonored pre-ordered at NewEgg for $45 and Bioshock Infinite pre-ordered for $38. Sounds like that's as good as their gonna get prior to release (and immediately after release), eh?

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Pretty good deals. A couple other simple routes to deals are one building up credit at Green Man Gaming by trading in the free games they offer, and two, using an Amazon credit card to build up points and use the gift credit on games.

[quote name='pantsattack']Pretty good deals. A couple other simple routes to deals are one building up credit at Green Man Gaming by trading in the free games they offer, and two, using an Amazon credit card to build up points and use the gift credit on games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips.

[quote name='krevee']Borderlands 2 Pre-Order 40% off, $36 with voucher from Green Man Gaming (activates on Steam)
Not sure how long this lasts...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/borderlands-2-na/

Enter voucher code GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G at checkout.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up! It's still valid as of 5 minutes ago. I pulled the trigger making it around the 3rd pre-order I've done in the 5 years. I wonder if this counts as paying full-price... sure feels like it.

[quote name='dfg']Thanks for the heads-up! It's still valid as of 5 minutes ago. I pulled the trigger making it around the 3rd pre-order I've done in the 5 years. I wonder if this counts as paying full-price... sure feels like it.[/QUOTE]

I love borderlands but even at 36 dollars it felt like full price to me and I can't help but think that with the huge discounts it's getting pre release, and given 2k's track record on recent releases and their huge price cuts early on.....this is gonna bottom out quick.

I completely agree. I already have several friends who've pre-ordered though. I can resist their attempts to drag me into GW2, but I love me the wub wub.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']I love borderlands but even at 36 dollars it felt like full price to me and I can't help but think that with the huge discounts it's getting pre release, and given 2k's track record on recent releases and their huge price cuts early on.....this is gonna bottom out quick.[/QUOTE]
I tend to agree with that too, but the pre-order stuff seems worth it enough. I know I'm going to want the Mechromancer class the second it's released, so... :whistle2:#

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back