The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
It had to be done, welcome aboard the new thread, Steam Deal Thread V8!

You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Disclaimer: Because of the ridiculous number of games on sale and the speed at which sales change, it is likely I will not be able to catch everything . Be sure to check the update time for the OP, and visit the Specials Tab to see all current sales. If you see something not listed in the OP, please feel free to PM me and I will see that it is added. Thanks, enjoy the sale  :D

Before you buy anything be sure to check out both BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) and jshackle's Enhanced Steam Extension/Plugin for Chrome/Opera/Firefox!

Steam Summer Sale

Flash Deals

[*]Retro City Rampage - $14.99 $3.00
[*]Endless Space Gold - $34.99 $11.89[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Total War Grand Master Collection - $164.99 $41.24[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rome: Total War - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Empire: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Napoleon: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Total War: SHOGUN 2 - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Viking: Battle for Asgard - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
[*]SHOGUN 2: Rise of the Samurai Campaign - $9.99 $2.49[/customspoiler]

Expired

Community Choice

• Rage - $19.99 $4.99
Expired 

[*]​Round 2

[*]​Round 3

[*]​Rounds 4

[*]Round 5

[*]​Round 6

[*]​Round 7

[*]Round 8

[*]Round 9​

[*]Round 10

[*]Round 11

[*]​Round 12

[*]Round 13

[*]Round 14

[*]Round 15

[*]Round 16

[*]Round 17

[*]Round 18

[*]Round 19

[*]Round 20

[*]Round 21

[*]​Round 22

[*]Round 23

[*]Round 24

[*]​Round 25

[*]​Round 26

[*]​Round 27

[*]Round 28

[*]Round 29

[*]Round 30

[*]​Round 31

[*]Round 32

​​

Daily Deals

[*]Borderlands 2 - $39.99 $10.19 (4-Pack - $89.99 $30.59)[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Bioshock - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock 2 - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock Infinite - $59.99 $29.99
[*]Torchlight - $14.99 $3.73
[*]Torchlight 2 - $19.99 $4.99 (4-Pack - $59.99 $14.99)
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - $19.99 $4.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Tomb Raider Collection - $69.99 $17.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]The Walking Dead - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $13.79
[*]Dishonored - $29.99 $10.19[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Skyrim: Legendary Edition - $59.99 $36.00[customspoiler='Contents']

Yesterday's Deals

[*]Natural Selection 2 - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Worms Collection - $89.99 $22.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Worms Revolution - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Starforge (Alpha) - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike Complete - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed Pack - $169.95 $57.78[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed III - $39.99 $23.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic $9.99 $3.39
[*]Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - $9.99 $3.39
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $2.23
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $3.74[customspoiler='Contents']

Expired

Persistent Deals

(if you notice a daily/flash sale in here by mistake, please let me know)

-75% or More

-50% to -74%

[*]The Political Machine 2012 - $3.99 $0.99 (4-Pack - $9.99 $2.49)[/customspoiler]

[*]Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - $19.99 $6.79
[*]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $9.99
[*]The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Cut - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Dead Space - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Dead Space 2 - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Hitman: Blood Money - $8.99 $4.49
[*]Hitman: Codename 47 - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $14.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - $29.99 $14.99
[*]The Cave - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Hits Collection - $29.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $4.99

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $4.47
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $7.49

[*]Mirror's Edge - $19.99 $9.99
[*]McPixel - $4.99 $0.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator - $8.99 $4.49
[*]FTL - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Cart Life - $4.99 $1.99
[*]To The Moon - $9.99 $2.99
[*]VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $20.69
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Need for Speed: Undercover - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Need for Speed: Shift - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Shift 2: Unleashed - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Magical Diary - $14.99 $5.24
[*]Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 $2.37
[*]The Blackwell Legacy - $4.99 $1.99
[*]Jack Lumber - $7.49 $2.24
[*]Anna - Extended Edition - $9.99 $3.39
[*]The Bridge - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Alice: Madness Returns - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Payday The Heist - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike - $9.99 $2.49
[*]The Orange Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Half-Life Complete - $39.99 $19.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rockstar Hits Collection - $89.97 $44.98[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]LA Noire - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Max Payne 3 - $39.99 $19.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Starseed Pilgrim - $5.99 $2.69
[*]The Binding of Isaac - $4.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

All Current Specials

Preorder Deals - Updated 24/6

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="Free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition"]
    Digital poster (printable) 
  • Papercraft mask of The Raven (printable)
  • “Making of” booklet 
  • Story book (plenty of background info and artworks)
  • Soundtrack[/customspoiler]

[*]Europa Universalis IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="The 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC"]
  • This DLC adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the
    100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations,
    including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more! [/customspoiler]

[*]Saints Row IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="3 Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Weapon Costumes"]
  • Pre-Purchase Saints Row IV and get 3 exclusive Team Fortress 2 weapon costumes to use in Saints Row IV: The Rainblower, the Flamethrower and the Rocket Launcher, only with Pre-Purchases on Steam! [/customspoiler]

[*]Rise of the Triad - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler='The Apogee Throwback Pack']
  • The Apogee Throwback Pack is a collection of four classic Apogee
    Software titles all in one kick ass package. Blast your way across the
    galaxy as British Special Agent Blake Stone in "Aliens of Gold" and
    "Planet Strike", then take on an ancient evil menace as the H.U.N.T in
    "Rise of the Triad".[/customspoiler]

[*]Divinity: Dragon Commander - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler='Immediate access to the Divinity: Dragon Commander beta']
  • As an extra bonus, you will also receive a free upgrade to Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition.
  • The Imperial Edition includes a golden dragon skin, a Dragons On Earth
    campaign map, a digital soundtrack by award winning genius Kirill
    Pokrovsky, and behind the scenes information like concept art,
    classified design documents, confidential decision tree flowcharts and a
    unique documentary.[/customspoiler]

[*]Total War: Rome II - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="The Greek States Culture Pack"]
  • The Greek States Culture Pack includes three new playable Factions for use in Single or Multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles. These factions are the diplomatic Athens, shrewd Epirus and formidable Sparta as playable factions. Each offers range of special tactics to achieve cultural and martial victories, and lethal elite units to crush foes in battle.
  • The Greek States also share a number of common goals, philosophies and general diplomatic aims. However, they are defined by their fierce independence and between them demonstrate a huge variety in approach to civil and military challenges that often brings them into conflict with the wider world, and each other.
  • Plus, Pre-Purchase and receive the Greek Hellenic Armor for The Pyro & Egyptian Cheetah set for The Scout in TF2. More to come!  [/customspoiler]

Indie Bundle Threads

Groupees
Indie Gala
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle

IndieGameStand

Free Stuff

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
So let's talk Dawn of War 2. I've never played it but I'm downloading the demo, if someone who's familiar with them could tell me more it'd be appreciated.

Base game is $5 (Demo available)
Chaos Rising is $5
Retribution is $7.50

Gold pack (Base and Chaos) is $7.50
Complete pack is $15

From what I understand Base and Chaos Rising have better campaigns but they're only for Spess Mahreens, Retribution has campaigns for all races but they're not as good. Retribution also has the Last stand mode.

What DLC is worth getting? Is most of it cosmetic?
If you want to play single player, buy the gold pack. The gameplay and campaigns are awesome. Sadly, the MP seems to be dead

Retribution is the one to get for MP. I still didn't played the campaigns, but read they are almost the same for all the races.

Have Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Each copy is $7.50 each. PM me if interested.

Have Natural Selection 2. Each copy is $4.69 each. PM me if interested.

Yes and if you get one, get both, they are both amazing games.
I'd say get one. If you like it, which you should, then get two. Two gets a lot of flack, but it's still a good game on it's own. There's some mods for both which clean them up a bit. Both are about telling the story more than anything else - the gameplay is a mixed bag, some people like it some hate it. It's on a D20 system if I recall. Try not to read any spoilers.

Something weird happened with the group buys I hosted today. I believe I may have gotten extra copies of some. I'm trying to verify payment and confirm that everyone got their game and they've all done so with Castle Crashers, yet I still have a copy in my inventory. I'm waiting on a guy to confirm he received Trine 2, but he already left me feedback so I think he did. 

Ummm, I believe KOTOR II was $2.50 before this Flash Deal, since the summer sale started. I remember because I kept notice of how much it was, as I was planning to get it. I guess I'll get it now and lose 90 cents instead of risking it going up to $10 after the flash deal.

CAG decided to pull a steam and completely break for me while updating the OP. I feel like I need to kill someone now :bomb:

I know it is only 50% off, but I've said it once and I'll say it again, EVERYBODY buy Dust! It is amazing and the developer is a really nice and a fellow CAG :D

Something weird happened with the group buys I hosted today. I believe I may have gotten extra copies of some. I'm trying to verify payment and confirm that everyone got their game and they've all done so with Castle Crashers, yet I still have a copy in my inventory. I'm waiting on a guy to confirm he received Trine 2, but he already left me feedback so I think he did.
You got pretty lucky if you got extra copies.

CAG decided to pull a steam and completely break for me while updating the OP. I feel like I need to kill someone now :bomb:

I know it is only 50% off, but I've said it once and I'll say it again, EVERYBODY buy Dust! It is amazing and the developer is a really nice and a fellow CAG :D
I second this! I bought it full price and it was amazing! :D

Well it was $2.49 the past few days, I wouldn't have been interested at $10 otherwise, for I am an alpha cheapskate. Thanks for looking it up though spoderman.

My Walking Dead order just came through. Might wanna give it another shot.
Just called Gamestop, what lovely customer service, the reason they cancelled it was because my paypal email is different than the one I used at Gamestop.

If anyone is willing to help me out I'll send you paypal for a code.

I have to convince myself I don't need Castle Crashers, had it on xbox, might have played just a little too much.
Opposite for me. Had it on Xbox and barely got into it. But for this price I'm all for it.

If anyone's hosting a group buy or has an extra PM me.

So how is Dust, those that are saying buy it. Anything you could compare it to gameplay wise?

works if you type it out \\:D/
time_fo_day.jpg
\\:D/

So how is Dust, those that are saying buy it. Anything you could compare it to gameplay wise?
it's very much in the metroidvania style, I guess more castlevania than metroid as there are some light RPG elements mixed in. The real draw though is the absolutely phenomenal art and wonderful story. The voice acting is top notch and the dialog is extremely well written, never going to far into melodrama or sarcasm. It is one of my top 5 games from last year and easily worth full price (yes I'm saying that as a CAG), and at $7.49 is an absolute steal.

I really hope more people get a chance to play it because of this sale, it is simply marvelous :applause:

it's very much in the metroidvania style, I guess more castlevania than metroid as there are some light RPG elements mixed in. The real draw though is the absolutely phenomenal art and wonderful story. The voice acting is top notch and the dialog is extremely well written, never going to far into melodrama or sarcasm. It is one of my top 5 games from last year and easily worth full price (yes I'm saying that as a CAG), and at $7.49 is an absolute steal.

I really hope more people get a chance to play it because of this sale, it is simply marvelous :applause:
You left out the best part: just how ridiculously tight the controls are and how mechanically sound the game is. If you ever die, it's your own fault, never feel like the game cheated you

You left out the best part: just how ridiculously tight the controls are and how mechanically sound the game is. If you ever die, it's your own fault, never feel like the game cheated you
You're also leaving out the stellar Devil May Cry level of ridiculously high combo hits that comes from the awesome fighting abilities given to you (1000 hit combo anyone?)

I actually felt it was a tad easy (my ONE big complaint), so dying at all is really a fluke occurrence. Totally agree though, it feels fantastic to play :D

Wow you are wrong about so many things in this post I don't even know where to begin!

The equipment actually make a much larger difference than you give it credit for, with a wide variance in range, damage, speed, as well as damage types. The combat is far from shallow. Sure you can go in as a Vanguard and spam the left mouse button swinging wildly hoping you kill a few people (and you probably will), but you'll be stomped by anyone who knows what they're doing. Aiming, judging distance, energy management, friendly fire, comboing, timing parries, kicks, feints, pokes, overheads and alternate swings all lead to much more skill based combat than you're making it out to be (which I can't blame you since you say you didn't play it very long and some of this stuff is nuanced). There is actually more swing variance and more precision aiming than War of the Roses has with the only thing Chivalry lacks being the ability to adjust your swing strength.
To an extent there is a difference between the weapons, yes, but as I came from War of the Roses, the differences are quite minor between the weapons compared to WotR, as you more or less use them exactly the same way (a pole arm and a greatsword, for instance, function nearly identically). You can make the combat sound as complex as you want, but it really does boil down to "hit the other guy twice to win". Sure I didn't play the game that long yet, but I spent all last night playing, tested out different classes, played different games modes, used different weapons, and it's really not that complicated to explore all of the game's different aspects (because there aren't a whole lot of them).

And you either have not played War of the Roses, or you don't know what you're talking about. War of the Roses swing precision and swing/stab/push variety is EXTREMELY complex and varied. If an enemy is wearing heavy armor and you hit a pauldron, you may do a pitiful amount of damage, while if he's swinging and his midsection is left open, you may do a massive amount of damage. If you're using a halberd or something similar, and you're too close while attacking, you'll hit with the stalk of the weapon and do zero damage, while if you hit cleanly with the axe head on his neck, his head will come right off (very difficult to do). War of the Roses has the most complex precision hit zones and damage modifiers in any game of this type, hands down, so you're way off there.

The graphics...yeah...it's Unreal Engine 3, almost every game with that engine has that same drab look to it. And even taking that into consideration most of the maps still don't look great. But it is an indie game with a small team so there's that to take into consideration. The gameplay and animations are very smooth though, and responsive as long as you're not lagging.
Err... have you played Tera? It uses Unreal Engine 3 as well, and it's literally in the top three most gorgeous games I've ever seen.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153060489
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153060328

(I'd post more pics, but Steam servers are shitty right now and half of my screenshots aren't working.)

That said, the graphics are serviceable, just not great in Chivalry. Problem is that while they don't look amazing, they also hit your GPU hard. Chivalry makes my GPU run hotter than while running Tera, Skyrim, etc, which is pretty silly. I have the same problem with SWTOR, which has pretty awful graphics, but makes your GPU run pretty damn hot. It's not well optimized (and reading around, people have had dramatic problems with the how much it heats up both their GPU and CPU).

And honestly, if the game feels smooth and clean to you, that's great. To me it feels really choppy and messy, but I'm comparing it to its closest rival, WotR, which plays a lot smoother (even when there's lag).

And now we get to the biggest part of your problem with the game. Stop playing TDM! The game is balanced around Team Objective and that is the main mode that you should be trying. TDM and DM are just spamfests, with no regard for self or team preservation, teamwork or skill. Duel mode is good to practice in though, and Last Team Standing could be good if they had better maps for it.
I played a couple of one of the objective game types, and I'll try more of them, but regardless of what you're doing in the game modes, it really doesn't change things for me. It's still the same game with the same mechanics, you're just being more careful about going gung-ho and trying to kill everyone.

I have never had the rubberbanding lag issue you describe, so I'm going to assume it's either on your end or you joined a bad server. I mostly stick to the official servers though. The only lag issue I've ever had is once in a while there will be a de-sync between you, the server and the person you're attacking so an attack will go through them on your screen, but everyone else sees it as not hitting them. Basically the melee equivalent of when people complain about hit registration in FPS.
That's nice that you haven't, but I got this rubberbanding issue quite a few times, even when my ping was around 50 and my internet was running perfectly. Searching around Google, it looks like a lot of people have the same problem, while they have no internet problems and never have this issue in other games. I honestly don't run across this problem in other online games I play, so I can rule out that it's my connection (my connection has its own, different problems, lol).

Anyway I hope you give the game another chance and I hope your opinion doesn't dissuade anyone else from trying it. If you want to play together sometime let me know, even better would be if a group of CAGs wanted to get together to play.
I will play it again, I'm just a little disappointed in it. It's still "dumb fun" (no offense by that term) like CoD is, which I get tired of quickly, but enjoy jumping back into now and then for that arcadey multiplayer slaughterfest thing. I just wish it had the same amount of polish as CoD, which it doesn't. I know it's made by an indie studio, and I know it's much cheaper than CoD, so perhaps I'm being a little too picky, but in the end I just wanted to give my take on the game. I still think it's not a terrible purchase for under $5, but unless you're a big fan of medieval combat or of rage inducing random deaths from behind/from the side (FUUUUUUU), there really are better games to spend your money on, like War of the Roses (unless you don't have the patience to learn it).

MrNinjaSquirrel - Definitely sounds good, but still going to hold out for a bit because I still probably won't play it right away even if I do get it now. I really like the art style and was just curious how it played like. Love what I've seen so far so I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

How long is Dust anyway? I may pick up that one or Reus....or none....not feeling the discounts but they are newer. I'm dying for a Rogue Legacy discount if that one doesn't get one I pick it up at the end....really want to play it.

I am on the fence at picking up battlefront 2 for $3.39.  It was one of my favorite xbox games, but steam had it for $2.50 6 months ago, I don't wan't to pay the extra 90 cents.

I'd love to see jade empire show up cheap as well, I missed it at the winter sale.

Yay picked up Dishonored now for Skyrim to go on sale again so I can pick up the last dlc I need, and I'll be a golden giant miniature space hamster this sale.

Darn... Killing Floor DLC seems to be perpetually stuck at 50%. I'd feel slightly more charitable at 75%.

Very tempted on Reus. The game looks fascinating and the reviews are mostly good. If I buy at 50% it'll have to move into my "play" queue. Hmmm.

Very tempted on Dust as well. You guys raving about it doesn't help!

At last, Dishonored cheap on Steam. Sold.

How long is Dust anyway? I may pick up that one or Reus....or none....not feeling the discounts but they are newer. I'm dying for a Rogue Legacy discount if that one doesn't get one I pick it up at the end....really want to play it.
took me about 10-12 hours, but I also spent a lot of time running around finding collectibles and easter eggs. I'd say if you JUST did the storyline it would fall between 7-9 give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back