The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
It had to be done, welcome aboard the new thread, Steam Deal Thread V8!

You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Disclaimer: Because of the ridiculous number of games on sale and the speed at which sales change, it is likely I will not be able to catch everything . Be sure to check the update time for the OP, and visit the Specials Tab to see all current sales. If you see something not listed in the OP, please feel free to PM me and I will see that it is added. Thanks, enjoy the sale  :D

Before you buy anything be sure to check out both BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) and jshackle's Enhanced Steam Extension/Plugin for Chrome/Opera/Firefox!

Steam Summer Sale

Flash Deals

[*]Retro City Rampage - $14.99 $3.00
[*]Endless Space Gold - $34.99 $11.89[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Total War Grand Master Collection - $164.99 $41.24[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rome: Total War - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Empire: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Napoleon: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Total War: SHOGUN 2 - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Viking: Battle for Asgard - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
[*]SHOGUN 2: Rise of the Samurai Campaign - $9.99 $2.49[/customspoiler]

Expired

Community Choice

• Rage - $19.99 $4.99
Expired 

[*]​Round 2

[*]​Round 3

[*]​Rounds 4

[*]Round 5

[*]​Round 6

[*]​Round 7

[*]Round 8

[*]Round 9​

[*]Round 10

[*]Round 11

[*]​Round 12

[*]Round 13

[*]Round 14

[*]Round 15

[*]Round 16

[*]Round 17

[*]Round 18

[*]Round 19

[*]Round 20

[*]Round 21

[*]​Round 22

[*]Round 23

[*]Round 24

[*]​Round 25

[*]​Round 26

[*]​Round 27

[*]Round 28

[*]Round 29

[*]Round 30

[*]​Round 31

[*]Round 32

​​

Daily Deals

[*]Borderlands 2 - $39.99 $10.19 (4-Pack - $89.99 $30.59)[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Bioshock - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock 2 - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock Infinite - $59.99 $29.99
[*]Torchlight - $14.99 $3.73
[*]Torchlight 2 - $19.99 $4.99 (4-Pack - $59.99 $14.99)
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - $19.99 $4.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Tomb Raider Collection - $69.99 $17.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]The Walking Dead - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $13.79
[*]Dishonored - $29.99 $10.19[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Skyrim: Legendary Edition - $59.99 $36.00[customspoiler='Contents']

Yesterday's Deals

[*]Natural Selection 2 - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Worms Collection - $89.99 $22.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Worms Revolution - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Starforge (Alpha) - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike Complete - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed Pack - $169.95 $57.78[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed III - $39.99 $23.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic $9.99 $3.39
[*]Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - $9.99 $3.39
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $2.23
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $3.74[customspoiler='Contents']

Expired

Persistent Deals

(if you notice a daily/flash sale in here by mistake, please let me know)

-75% or More

-50% to -74%

[*]The Political Machine 2012 - $3.99 $0.99 (4-Pack - $9.99 $2.49)[/customspoiler]

[*]Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - $19.99 $6.79
[*]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $9.99
[*]The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Cut - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Dead Space - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Dead Space 2 - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Hitman: Blood Money - $8.99 $4.49
[*]Hitman: Codename 47 - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $14.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - $29.99 $14.99
[*]The Cave - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Hits Collection - $29.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $4.99

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $4.47
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $7.49

[*]Mirror's Edge - $19.99 $9.99
[*]McPixel - $4.99 $0.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator - $8.99 $4.49
[*]FTL - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Cart Life - $4.99 $1.99
[*]To The Moon - $9.99 $2.99
[*]VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $20.69
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Need for Speed: Undercover - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Need for Speed: Shift - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Shift 2: Unleashed - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Magical Diary - $14.99 $5.24
[*]Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 $2.37
[*]The Blackwell Legacy - $4.99 $1.99
[*]Jack Lumber - $7.49 $2.24
[*]Anna - Extended Edition - $9.99 $3.39
[*]The Bridge - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Alice: Madness Returns - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Payday The Heist - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike - $9.99 $2.49
[*]The Orange Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Half-Life Complete - $39.99 $19.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rockstar Hits Collection - $89.97 $44.98[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]LA Noire - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Max Payne 3 - $39.99 $19.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Starseed Pilgrim - $5.99 $2.69
[*]The Binding of Isaac - $4.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

All Current Specials

Preorder Deals - Updated 24/6

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="Free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition"]
    Digital poster (printable) 
  • Papercraft mask of The Raven (printable)
  • “Making of” booklet 
  • Story book (plenty of background info and artworks)
  • Soundtrack[/customspoiler]

[*]Europa Universalis IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="The 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC"]
  • This DLC adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the
    100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations,
    including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more! [/customspoiler]

[*]Saints Row IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="3 Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Weapon Costumes"]
  • Pre-Purchase Saints Row IV and get 3 exclusive Team Fortress 2 weapon costumes to use in Saints Row IV: The Rainblower, the Flamethrower and the Rocket Launcher, only with Pre-Purchases on Steam! [/customspoiler]

[*]Rise of the Triad - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler='The Apogee Throwback Pack']
  • The Apogee Throwback Pack is a collection of four classic Apogee
    Software titles all in one kick ass package. Blast your way across the
    galaxy as British Special Agent Blake Stone in "Aliens of Gold" and
    "Planet Strike", then take on an ancient evil menace as the H.U.N.T in
    "Rise of the Triad".[/customspoiler]

[*]Divinity: Dragon Commander - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler='Immediate access to the Divinity: Dragon Commander beta']
  • As an extra bonus, you will also receive a free upgrade to Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition.
  • The Imperial Edition includes a golden dragon skin, a Dragons On Earth
    campaign map, a digital soundtrack by award winning genius Kirill
    Pokrovsky, and behind the scenes information like concept art,
    classified design documents, confidential decision tree flowcharts and a
    unique documentary.[/customspoiler]

[*]Total War: Rome II - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="The Greek States Culture Pack"]
  • The Greek States Culture Pack includes three new playable Factions for use in Single or Multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles. These factions are the diplomatic Athens, shrewd Epirus and formidable Sparta as playable factions. Each offers range of special tactics to achieve cultural and martial victories, and lethal elite units to crush foes in battle.
  • The Greek States also share a number of common goals, philosophies and general diplomatic aims. However, they are defined by their fierce independence and between them demonstrate a huge variety in approach to civil and military challenges that often brings them into conflict with the wider world, and each other.
  • Plus, Pre-Purchase and receive the Greek Hellenic Armor for The Pyro & Egyptian Cheetah set for The Scout in TF2. More to come!  [/customspoiler]

Indie Bundle Threads

Groupees
Indie Gala
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle

IndieGameStand

Free Stuff

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Seconded. I simply cannot justify spending over $10 for DLC no matter how badly I want it. I'd rather backlog the game until I can get everything for 66-75% off.

On another note, could someone hook me up with a guest pass for TSW? I'm certainly not buying it off steam at that price, but between asheskitty and Idiot bringing the damn thing up numerous times a day, I have to give it another try.
Send me your email address, so I can send the 72-Hour guess pass.

On a related note, I meant to send this through a PM, anyone know how to delete a post on CAG 3.0??

Actually, anyone who wants a guess pass to The Secret World is free to PM me their email..

I think it was true until recently, I researched it when Blood Dragon came out.

Maybe I was reading outdated information then. Wasn't trying to spread bad info.
I'm not sure the horse is dead, so...

They changed it 12-14 months ago. They did a big Uplay revamp that among other things eliminated the 30-day download window. A little after that they did their 4-day $1 sale. For a while there was a script-based way to activate keys on Uplay. The steam/origin like key box is newer (probably did it for the AMD promo).

They changed it about a year ago, way before Blood Dragon came out. It used to be that way and it sucked, but when they relaunched UPlay last year it is just like Steam now. I have Blood Dragon on Uplay with no issues. I can redownload and play whenever I want. They give you points for playing using UPlay and u can actually use them to buy DLC and stuff so they actually have some really cool features.
There really aren't enough uPlay defenders/people out there. It's not a bad service and it's not really any worse/better than steam.

Just caught up on the thread. Everyone that wants skyrim DLCs for more than 50% off go to Nuuvem. They have them at 55% off until tomorrow

They changed it about a year ago, way before Blood Dragon came out. It used to be that way and it sucked, but when they relaunched UPlay last year it is just like Steam now. I have Blood Dragon on Uplay with no issues. I can redownload and play whenever I want. They give you points for playing using UPlay and u can actually use them to buy DLC and stuff so they actually have some really cool features.
I'm familiar with the Uplay system, just not had much experience purchasing from their store. I guess the info I found while researching was out of date and I didn't realize it. I think I looked at their official documentation and it confirmed you can only download within 30 days, so their own information may be outdated. I'm glad to hear that's the case.

The official help page on the Uplay store right now discusses their Extended Download Service where you pay extra to allow redownloading for up to 2 years. I'm not saying this to suggest you guys are wrong, I'm trying to show why I believed there was a limit.

There really aren't enough uPlay defenders/people out there. It's not a bad service and it's not really any worse/better than steam.

Just caught up on the thread. Everyone that wants skyrim DLCs for more than 50% off go to Nuuvem. They have them at 55% off until tomorrow
Now to find out how to buy something from Nuuvem or what prices is what.

hmm, I guess that's an option. Does gamestop still charge tax on them like they do XBL/PSN cards?
The last time I bought one from there they did not charge tax on the Steam cards.

With 6/10ths of the sale done, a few questions:

1. Can we officially call this sale another failure?

2. Is there anything that could save it?

3. Are we doomed with silly gimmicks from Valve from now on to mask the fact their discounts are nothing great?

My prediction? Steam Portal Starter Packs by December with Skylanders styled Avatars for your profile.
1. It's been "ok". I wouldn't label it a failure. I did feel that several titles weren't priced as low as I would have expected.

2. Eliminate Community Choice votes - they've consistently disappointed. Add three or four more titles to the Flash Sales instead. Fewer repeats.

3. Yes, as long as they make money.

The cards drop just by idling, really not encouraging you to play. You get nothing of real value out of crafting. Do you still get coupons when crafting? I don't know, but even then they don't stack so they are worthless. Allowing you to sell backgrounds and emoticons is nice I guess, but it would probably be nicer had those not been marketable, that way at least you would be getting something of unknown/relative value out of it. Nothing feels worse than spending a dollar to craft a badge and get a background people are selling for .05 cents.
I don't dislike the cards as they have made me a few bucks which = games of my choice. That coal thing was just a fiasco from top to bottom.

The thing is... you don't have to idle while you're getting cards. I did a bit, but I also took the time to play a few new ones as well as a few I hadn't played in a while. Your choice, right?

The worst offense is that selling the stupid cards is a pain in the neck. GabeN cash bucks are great, but there are far too many hoops to make them attractive at this point.

I guess not too many people check Nuuvem, but I actually think their Summer Sale was the best out of any that I checked this year. Waaaaay better than Steam

Just to add to the uplay-ness

Grabbed ACB and ACR and just used the cdkeys from steam, activated in uplay just fine.  Only thing is I got the gold pack of revelations and it didnt recognize the dlc keys, I assume those get added when I launch from steam

Just to add to the uplay-ness

Grabbed ACB and ACR and just used the cdkeys from steam, activated in uplay just fine. Only thing is I got the gold pack of revelations and it didnt recognize the dlc keys, I assume those get added when I launch from steam
With the AC games, you generally add the DLC keys in the game menu under extras I think. The crappy thing about the AC games is that copy/paste doesn't work.

Does anyone have a Killing Floor guest pass they can spare? Would like to try the game out before deciding whether or not to purchase it. Thanks in advance!

I wasn't implying that it's the scariest game out there. It's more unnerving and troubling than scary, because it takes using your head to progress since there's zero combat in the game.

I also call bullshit, because you are nowhere near the "creature thing" 10-15 minutes into the game. That comes far, far later.
May have been later. It's probably been over a year since I've played it at this point, so my memory is most likely off. Still, once I saw the creature, I lost all sense of fear.

[quote name="Cheaplikeafox 3.0" post="10912142" timestamp="1374011029"]
They changed it about a year ago, way before Blood Dragon came out. It used to be that way and it sucked, but when they relaunched UPlay last year it is just like Steam now. I have Blood Dragon on Uplay with no issues. I can redownload and play whenever I want. They give you points for playing using UPlay and u can actually use them to buy DLC and stuff so they actually have some really cool features.[/quote]Instead of gimmicky crap, this is what Steam needs to do. Reward gamers for gaming so they can game even more. Pretty simple concept.

May have been later. It's probably been over a year since I've played it at this point, so my memory is most likely off. Still, once I saw the creature, I lost all sense of fear.
Well, yeah. People hype it up to be the scariest game ever, but really it's just challenging and can be stressful in sort of a scary sense (the first water part, for example). It's just an awesome game, besides being a relatively unnerving horror game. It's not about jump scares like some other games, it's more psychological.

That said, you HAVE to play it in the dark with your headphones cranked up to max volume, and you have to be alone. It's not necessarily a shit-your-pants thing, but it's quite an experience.

For some stupid reason, steam just categorized my games into two categories - steam games and non-steam games (games bought on origin, gamefly, etc.). How the fuck do I get rid of the filters/categories and just have it be one big list in alphebetical orider?

2M6tm1w.jpg

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864973577738079827/

Looks like a know issue, anybody find a fix for it?

I'm thinking about the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim. But I saw this on a Brazilian site through enhanced Steam. Anyone ever get anything through Nuuvem? They've got Dragonborn for 19.99 Real which come out to be around $9. Do I get a Steam Code I can activate? Anyone have any experiences with this place?

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1102-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-dragonborn
Yeah Nuuvem is fine. It's a legitimate site. Me and some others here buy from it all the time.

Btw: if you just read the last 2 pages we actually talked about this deal.

The worst offense is that selling the stupid cards is a pain in the neck. GabeN cash bucks are great, but there are far too many hoops to make them attractive at this point.
The market is pretty much of a mess whose design only works to encourage undercutting. If I see 15 pages of items listed at 50 cents, why would I ever list my item for the same price or higher - especially when it just seems to randomly place you within that list? That's part of the reason we've seen costs driven down so fast. Anyone who wants to sell their item as fast as possible is going to undercut everyone else, and then the next person who comes along and wants to sell their item is either going to list even with the new low or undercut that person.

Since this is, to some degree, a virtual economy, Valve would've been well served to research MMOs and how they set up their auction houses to prevent price deflation. A blind system (similar to what FFXI has) would've worked much better than a system which basically just results in you going to the first page and setting your price for a penny lower.

We got spoiled by the beta launch of cards and some of us made some serious money out of it. It was fun while it lasted, remember the good times, no point in moping about the present :)
I think the problem with the cards is that there really isn't much worth getting out of them to keep the price high. Most people are just selling them off, which is driving the prices way down. You can get emoticons and wallpapers from combining the cards, but if you really want either of those, you could sell a card or two and likely make more than enough to afford which ones you want, even if the cards sell for a dime each. Then you have the coupons which are just a grab-bag with odds against it being anything you'd use. Then you have the badges, which I suppose, are the real goal of the cards, but those are basically a gimmick which don't really give you anything aside for a shiny graphic on your page.

If they did something like gave a small chance of getting a free game with a set of cards (with an increased chance with foils), I bet we'd see cards go back up in price again since more people would combine them with the hopes of coming out ahead. There really is no "coming out ahead" when it comes to the cards and badges currently.

Yeah Nuuvem is fine. It's a legitimate site. Me and some others here buy from it all the time.

Btw: if you just read the last 2 pages we actually talked about this deal.
Well, crap. Sorry. I hate posting questions when something has already been covered. But who can keep up with this thread during a summer sale?

And can I just say how happy I am that this hasn't turned into a Coconut Queen thread yet? That makes me happy.

For some stupid reason, steam just categorized my games into two categories - steam games and non-steam games (games bought on origin, gamefly, etc.). How the fuck do I get rid of the filters/categories and just have it be one big list in alphebetical orider?

2M6tm1w.jpg

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/864973577738079827/

Looks like a know issue, anybody find a fix for it?
Two ways: Right click on each game, and click Category. Set (or create and then set) the category you want. If you don't want any categories, make sure nothing is checked.

Second way: https://code.google.com/p/depressurizer/ - I personally use this, and is great for setting up categories in any fashion you desire.

Well, yeah. People hype it up to be the scariest game ever, but really it's just challenging and can be stressful in sort of a scary sense (the first water part, for example). It's just an awesome game, besides being a relatively unnerving horror game. It's not about jump scares like some other games, it's more psychological.

That said, you HAVE to play it in the dark with your headphones cranked up to max volume, and you have to be alone. It's not necessarily a shit-your-pants thing, but it's quite an experience.
I played the demo of Amnesia and just couldn't identify with the love the game gets. I mean, I kinda felt like it was my fault for not liking what little I played. Example, the water stuff in the beginning for me felt more frustrating than unnerving. Granted, I have a relatively high bar/tolerance for psychological thriller material. I have around 700+ movies and probably 75% would fall into that type of category one way or another. ( I think I own maybe 3 comedies.) Am I really missing something? I feel I should have liked it as I enjoy the genre and enjoy adventure-type games.

Well, crap. Sorry. I hate posting questions when something has already been covered. But who can keep up with this thread during a summer sale?

And can I just say how happy I am that this hasn't turned into a Coconut Queen thread yet? That makes me happy.
ah no problems. If you need any help with nuuvem, PM me. I buy from them quite often.

videogames in general don't scare me because i'm older than 12
You haven't played the right games then. There are plenty that use a variety of methods to successfully invoke fear. If you can somehow play them and not feel it, then I can't help but think you are playing with the gamma cranked up in an overly lit room, sound off, and listening to your mp3 collection.

I played the demo of Amnesia and just couldn't identify with the love the game gets. I mean, I kinda felt like it was my fault for not liking what little I played. Example, the water stuff in the beginning for me felt more frustrating than unnerving. Granted, I have a relatively high bar/tolerance for psychological thriller material. I have around 700+ movies and probably 75% would fall into that type of category one way or another. ( I think I own maybe 3 comedies.) Am I really missing something? I feel I should have liked it as I enjoy the genre and enjoy adventure-type games.
I don't think the demo does the actual game justice. If you like that genre of movie or style of game, you should drop the $4. Definitely one of my favorite games in the genre.

Well, I dunno. I'm not a fan of adventure games all that much, but I enjoyed the suspense of Amnesia as well as the mystery and story telling. There may have been a couple times that got my blood pumping, heart racing, but that will happen with me on games that are just difficult when I'm close to completing a challenging spot, in those do or die situations. I can't say Amnesia ever really "scared" me, I just think it's a really, really well done game with a unique story and approach to things.

Video games scare me all the time... at the end of the month.. when I'm counting my pennies hoping I can make rent... and wondering if I could get a loan against my Steam account...

I called hoarders n told them I had 1000s of video games.. they came to my house I showed them my laptop and they told me not to waste their time...

I've been out for a while, does anyone know when Amazon pricematches daily steam deals? I'm hoping TSW will be pricematched and be able to use GoonCave code. Thanks in advance!

3. Are we doomed with silly gimmicks from Valve from now on to mask the fact their discounts are nothing great?

My prediction? Steam Portal Starter Packs by December with Skylanders styled Avatars for your profile.
I wasn't planning on commenting, but I did...

1. I think I'll reserve judgement until the 22nd as I have mixed feelings about the 2013 Summer sale so far. On one hand it's been great to have gimmicky card profits pay for 100% of my Steam purchases (14 games + 6 DLCs @ a combined 71% Off MSRP). And on the other hand, I have been disappointed with the same song and dance of artificial scarcity1 in the Flash Sales and (usually poor) Community's Choice voting. Especially since they become recycled later in the sale. It's just an old approach without true scarcity and without a deeper one-time limited discount.

2. Can it be saved? Maybe if there was some super-awesome-surprise at the end of the sale then hell yeah that would save it! ;) I don't think it needs a ton of saving, but one thing I'd like to see is have Valve include an Indie Highlight section (maybe 3-4 games) that changes every twelve hours. It would highlight lesser known gems that rarely, if ever, see the light of day in Steam sales. Maybe even have a bonus day on the 23rd dedicated to those games. It would be great to see Valve included "something" that people would not expect, I think that could do wonders in the long run2.

3. Yes, without a doubt. Gimmicks are the distraction that allow prices to seem like a good value. Valve has always tried to rope people in with a side-show to accompany their sales. I doubt that ever changes, because it does set them apart from other online retailers.

1 As brought up in a Psychology of Video Games piece.

tumblr_mjcfnl6sGa1r1mr1po1_500.gif

did you mean to say can't
Yes, I did. The joys of mobile browsing.

I am a very difficult person to scare; my wife will take me to "scary" movies and I'll end up laughing and embarrassing her. With that said, here are a few games that got the better of me; at least increasing my heart rate and making me jump or giving me chills on numerous occasions.

F.E.A.R.* (haven't played 2 or 3 yet)

Dead Space* (1 and 2, haven't played 3 yet)

Don't Starve (different kind of scare... like "Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, WHERE'S MY DAMN CAMPFIRE!?"

Silent Hill 2*

Resident Evil (the older ones moreso; 5 and 6 didn't do much for me)

Left 4 Dead* has made me jump numerous times...it certainly doesn't help when people over voice chat are freaking out too

Payday (more "Oh shit!" moments)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R* series, mostly indoors

* denotes the need for surround sound being cranked up. Being an audio technician and sound designer for film, I can testify that 50% of any digital media's spook factor is from good sound design and soundtrack. You can put on the most frightening movie in the world on mute and it will have at least half the impact it would have on you should you be in ideal settings for game/movie-only sound.

Granted, none of these titles (well, except Dead Space and Silent Hill 2) made me get the point of actually having to stop playing due to fright factor, but there's enough creepiness/sense of urgency/very uncomfortable atmosphere that I file them under "scary." Amnesia is creepy, and I believe I jumped a few times, but my lasting impression of the game wouldn't have me call it a scary title.

I can't think of many more examples at the moment, mostly because few titles actually do manage to scare me, and the ones that claim to be I'm typically not interested in from a gameplay standpoint.

1 As brought up in a Psychology of Video Games piece.

tumblr_mjcfnl6sGa1r1mr1po1_500.gif
Thanks for the link. Good read.

Between all the sales this summer, I'm wondering if the era of the huge "event" sale is over and it'll be finding the here-and-there great deals throughout the year from now on. Amazon, Steam, GMG, GG -- none of them really did much to make me say "Wow", even for games I already own.

Anybody else having trouble getting cards to drop? I've been running Mark Of the Ninja for a couple of hours and I only have 2 of the 5 drops.

Between all the sales this summer, I'm wondering if the era of the huge "event" sale is over and it'll be finding the here-and-there great deals throughout the year from now on. Amazon, Steam, GMG, GG -- none of them really did much to make me say "Wow", even for games I already own.

Sadly I think this is the new reality we live in. Amazon's summer "sale" was even worse than the Steam sale. I really don't mind since I know I'll find what I am looking at eventually, but for those who like to wait to splurge on the sales it can be a little disappointing.

Edit:

I haven't gotten card drops in like 5 hours.

All-in-all, every sale had it's strengths and weaknesses, but between them all I'm definitely satisfied with what will ultimately cause me to file for bankruptcy.

Card drops have been slow for me today too.
Yeah, I've been having the same problem with Mark of the Ninja. I know I'm at least 2-3 hours in and at 3 drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back