The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Witcher 2 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The combat is really really fun for me (but please play on Dark Mode difficulty). Dragon Age Origins is still probably a little better =P

Also how in the shit did they quote a post before you made it. XCOM TELEPATH!

Me too, but that game is so damn intimidating to me. I paid $40 when I was new to PC gaming and then never played it.
I hear you. I bought it during the 2012 Steam Summer Sale for ~$16 and it's just sat there installed looking at me. Lots of guilt. All in due time I suppose, but the Fall is really difficult to focus on my backlog queue. I can be a sucker for new releases this time of year. PS3 & PC.

I'm still quite happy with my AMD 7950 w/ Boost from my Dec. 2012 PC build. I haven't really run into a problem playing any new games at 1920x1080 with high/ultra settings. For the upcoming generation of games I might have to scale some high settings back but I'm sure my card still has a nice lifespan ahead of itself. It's a really good bang for your $ gaming card and ranks as the #13 overall card on the current market.

The new R9 280x should be very good but I usually wait at least 2 generations above any current video card I have before upgrading. Any sooner and you really are not getting that much of an upgrade to really notice a big difference from my experience.

In AMD's Catalyst Control Center you can manage & force AA settings for gaming. I'm not familiar with what Nvidia allows the user to do but AMD can do a few:

AMD_AA_Settings_2.jpg

Dat Radeon R9 280x... matches and sometimes outperforms the GTX 770 for $100 less. And kicks my 560 Ti's ass. Can you force AA on AMD cards like you can through Nvidia Inspector? I think I could stomach spending $300 on that AC4 foliage.
You can do it either through Catalyst Control (AMD's proprietary software) or MSI Afterburner. I highly recommend MSI Afterburner for anyone using AMD gpus. It acts as a control centre for your gpu, displays framerates (no need for FRAPS), records videos and overclocks if you're into that.

I'm still quite happy with my AMD 7950 w/ Boost from my Dec. 2012 PC build. I haven't really run into a problem playing any new games at 1920x1080 with high/ultra settings. For the upcoming generation of games I might have to scale some high settings back but I'm sure my card still has a nice lifespan ahead of itself. It's a really good bang for your $ gaming card and ranks as the #13 overall card on the current market.
Yeah, I dont think there is any real difference between the current 7970 GHz edition and the new R9 280X other than some minor tweaks. However, the 280X is between $60 - 100 cheaper than the 7970. Not worth it if you have a 7950 or 7970, but a pretty good upgrade if you're coming from a lower bracket or older gen. Especially at $299

Well the older cards like the 7970 are getting price cuts and come with like 5 games, but I'd rather buy the latest thing for a similar price and I already have all those games.

I was just comparing my 560 ti to the 7970 ghz and the AMD was beating it by twice to 3x the performance in games, wow. And the Asus 280x I'd get beats that 7970 in some benchmarks so there'll be an ever bigger leap over my gtx. I'm still very hesitant to buy AMD but this looks like an amazing option otherwise. I think I'd even pick it up on day 1 this Friday if I can accept that it's not nvidia. I need to do some research on that. I was reading assassins creed 3 has bad performance issues on AMD and AC4 is a main motivation for upgrading, they use the same engine. Also not sure if AC4 has some nvidia exclusive features.

Thanks for all this advice and not complaining that I'm too off-topic guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm still very hesitant to buy AMD but this looks like an amazing option otherwise. I think I'd even pick it up on day 1 this Friday if I can accept that it's not nvidia.
When you think of Nvidia, just think of the extra $100 in your pocket instead, or the fact that the $100 will likely get you AC4 + 2 or 3 other games on release. :)

Oh Also, I've have all the AC games and have played 3 of them so far. Never had a problem with my AMD gpu.

If this AMD Mantle API thing catches on with console games then there could be an advantage with AMD. Seems like this past year AMD partnered with all the bigger games but Nvidia has deals with the next few upcoming ones including AC4. :/

Or think of the more potential driver issues you'll have with AMD ;).
They're much better with their driver updates now. It's coming out at a really fast pace. I think most of the issues that remain are to do with crossfire (and the 7990 which is basically a crossfire card).

Dunno. Never really had an issue on the driver front. Like with any drivers, make sure you clean uninstall the previous driver before you update, and update regularly. AMD has largely been great for me, at a much cheaper price.

They're much better with their driver updates now. It's coming out at a really fast pace. I think most of the issues that remain are to do with crossfire (and the 7990 which is basically a crossfire card).

Dunno. Never really had an issue on the driver front. Like with any drivers, make sure you clean uninstall the previous driver before you update, and update regularly. AMD has largely been great for me, at a much cheaper price.
I've had a lot of issues with drivers with my Radeon HD 7970. They are getting better with driver updates, but there's still a huge difference if you compare them to Nvidia's drivers.

It's not just drivers either, some games are just better optimized for Nvidia.

I can probably live without the AC4 nvidia exclusive features, I think it's just TXAA, HBAO, and maybe some kind of Nvidia tessellation. I assume AMD does tessellation and some type of standard SSAO and a decent AA. does anyone know if SweetFX works with AMD? I've never really used PhysX cause it kills my fps, and I think I read you can do PhysX on AMD.

I've had a lot of issues with drivers with my Radeon HD 7970. They are getting better with driver updates, but there's still a huge difference if you compare them to Nvidia's drivers.

Huh. I dunno. I guess just different experiences.

I would recommend this tool though: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

It cleanly uninstall every part of your previous drivers including the registry and all hidden files. Solves most problems. But I guess issues still remain. I just have been lucky not to have faced much I guess.

Huh. I dunno. I guess just different experiences.

I would recommend this tool though: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

It cleanly uninstall every part of your previous drivers including the registry and all hidden files. Solves most problems. But I guess issues still remain. I just have been lucky not to have faced much I guess.
Yeah I've been using that for a while now, has never solved my issues, but it's a nice utility.

I can probably live without the AC4 nvidia exclusive features, I think it's just TXAA, HBAO, and maybe some kind of Nvidia tessellation. I assume AMD does tessellation and some type of standard SSAO and a decent AA. does anyone know if SweetFX works with AMD? I've never really used PhysX cause it kills my fps, and I think I read you can do PhysX on AMD.
Penguin got you covered: http://www.radeonpro.info/features/post-processing/sweetfx/

Radeonpro incorporates a lot of those features.

Other software also work too.

Sweet! This RadeonPro tool sounds like the AMD equivalent of Nvidia Inspector.
It basically is. You can also use InjectSMAA injector, but I think RadeonPro is better. Plus, you can use RadeonPro to do things like cap framerates to improve performance and get rid of microstuttering in certain games.

Well if RadeonPro has SweetFX built in then it already has smaa injector. Glad to hear you can cap fps, sometimes I have to do that if I want higher graphics settings. That may not be an issue tho with a video card 2x as fast as mine.

Some store here in Canada is selling a regular 280x for $330, the Asus would be higher. That sucks, hope the price at other stores is closer to the msrp.

Well if RadeonPro has SweetFX built in then it already has smaa injector. Glad to hear you can cap fps, sometimes I have to do that if I want higher graphics settings. That may not be an issue tho with a video card 2x as fast as mine.
Yeah. InjectSMAA injector was what you had to use before RadeonPro, but you no longer need to rely on it. Afterburner also can cap fps. On newer games, especially FPSs, I recommend capping your framerate (I usually do 59fps) so you get a smooth experience.

Tip: Dont run Afterburner and RadeonPro together. Run one or the other depending on your needs. IF you need both (i.e. to video with MSI:A), start a game with RadeonPro, then Alt-Tab and start Afterburner while the game is running. Otherwise, there's usually no need to run both.

I voted in the Golden Joystick awards and CVG shows I voted but the link GMG sent me says that I have not voted yet. Anyone seeing this as well?
Yeah, same thing happened to me. It says it takes up to 24 hours for the results to take effect, so maybe it's nothing to worry about.

I was able to vote in all of the categories. But that was earlier today just as the site was really starting to get hammered.

It looked like it was possible to skip categories though. Which makes me wonder if you'd still qualify even if you only voted in one of the categories? I actually thought about skipping a few votes towards the end. But I decided against it because I was so close to the end and I didn't want to risk it. Given how fucked the site is now though, anybody just trying right now might wanna consider trying to only vote in one of the categories. Might be worth the risk.

Some of the categories are still working, so I've just been skipping around, trying to find the ones that work, and F5ing the shit out of the ones that don't.

I went through an HD7770, 7850, and now a 7970 and never had any driver issues.

The only issue I can think of was with Doom3 trying to detect my max resolution on my 7770. It always defaulted to 800x600.

The only current issue I have is with GTAIV. I can't set it to anything higher than the lowest resolution. I tried a bunch of solutions, but nothing helped. Apparently its because my card has 3gb vram, and that makes the game think that I have too little vram. I don't really care too much because I hated the few hours that I played of gta4 anyway. I just reinstalled it to mess around with some more visual mods.

I do wish I had physX effects, but the only games that I can think of that it would really apply to are Batman:AA & Batman AC.

I did complete my vote and submitted it. Received the GMG mail, clicked the link... And it says I haven't voted yet. I went again to the voting page and it says I already voted. The system is broken. Don't know why I cared

made it through two categories and then the site went down, meh already own both games anyways. The lack of CSGO as best multiplayer or online game is kinda bs though.

"please allow a minimum of 24 hours from when you register your votes"
GMG needs to put one of these disclaimers on their preorders. Any time I order anything through them, I expect to get it about a day later than advertised. So, in this case, I should be playing adding Mafia 2 to my backlog on Friday.

Finally made it through all of it.  Did skip a few categories.

Now which game to get.  I'm leaning toward Mafia II, since I have Civ IV and if I wanted Civ V, I'd prefer with all the of the extensions.

Awesome. Only learn about this free game hooplah 2 minutes before I leave for work. Chances are, there won't be any keys left by the time I get back and complete the voting. Damn NZ timezone...

Awesome. Only learn about this free game hooplah 2 minutes before I leave for work. Chances are, there won't be any keys left by the time I get back and complete the voting. Damn NZ timezone...
It don't matter - the server won't stay up for more than 30 seconds anyway...

That's assuming you can even get through voting. I've been at it for, hmm, a good several hours at least off and on and still have about 5-6 left :headache:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back