The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you people know how Bingo is played :D

You would mark off the games as they came up on Steam dailies, not if you already own them or not. Of course, we'd all have the same card so it wouldn't be a very interesting game.

Going off owned games, I'd have a bingo on the Metro 2033 to Torchlight row. I'll take my prize hot dog bun toaster now.
Unlike real bingo, Forum Bingo usually involves marking squares that applied to you prior to playing. ;)

tumblr_mb4orpiupi1r4sheao1_500.gif

RE: Bethesda Games, to Suck to Not to Suck?

MysterD has good advice saying to play it in manageable spurts, because the game can wear you out (especially if you don't stay focused). All Bethesda games have a feel were if you don't give them a decent amount of time and chance to grow on you, they won't. Give them some time, get the hang of things, and they can really grow on you.

That said, some people need more direction and a more focused, unique experience. Bethesda games are sandbox games with a ridiculous amount of choice and freedom... and they still do a pretty good job at making cool, interesting questlines. Anyone ever done the Pelagius quest in Solitude? That's some crazy stuff, awesome quest reward, super cool. How about the Wolf Queen quests there? Also awesome. The main quest? It's cool, but not the strongest. most interesting quest in the game, in my opinion. I don't see a whole lot of point of "winning" Bethesda games. I find more fulfillment, fun, and ironically direction in making my mark on the game world. I find there's more purpose in travelling, growing in strength and wealth, saving/slaying cities, aiding/destroying peoples' lives, etc.

I also have a wild imagination, so I like to make lots of characters, each with their own personalities, approaches to situations, skill levels, etc. I have a young half elf girl named Tyr that has a strong sense of justice, but is also wild and uncultured to an extent, and may even murder an adventurer if she needs their supplies to move on. I have mysterious, quiet fellow named Gideon, who may kill without reason, all the while passing up vital, powerful loot while he butchers a town with his great axe dressed in tattered rags, all the while having darker, personal motives behind his actions. I have a bright-eyed disciple of the Stendarr, who's sworn oath is to destroy the twisted abominations of Skyrim and protect anyone she can, but when difficult times fall upon her... perhaps even being tainted by a vampire... will her ideals stay so strong in her mind?

Anyways, droning on. Bethesda games are awesome, but they're not for everyone. And if you're fraught with game breaking bugs, that sucks, but you should look into user patches that fix many of these errors and are easy to install. And honestly, if you ever think these games are too generic or repetitive, use mods. They're really not THAT hard to deal with with Nexus Mod Manager, and the amount of content and customization added is virtually limitless.

Also, Fallout New Vegas has the most focus and is easily the best Bethesda game in my opinion (mostly because Obsidian is behind it). If you haven't played that and given it a fair chance, you're really missing out.
tumblr_m5bxbvyJor1ruw3edo1_500.gif

Why'd ya have to slash the warden's throat... You coulda been out a couple days ago for good behavior...

Jack-Nicholson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1658.gif

Oh, you know me. I'm just glad we have a busy as fcuk wise and just leader.
Welcome back, man.

Question for you all: I just wiped my hdd and did a clean install of Windows. Rather than hassling with Steam Mover again I thought I would create a new Steam library folder on my storage drive and copy all my installed games in there. Booted up Steam again, and it has recognized exactly four of the installs - Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Geometry Wars, Deadlight, and Rome: Total War - and none of the others.

Anybody know what that's about???

Welcome back, man.

Question for you all: I just wiped my hdd and did a clean install of Windows. Rather than hassling with Steam Mover again I thought I would create a new Steam library folder on my storage drive and copy all my installed games in there. Booted up Steam again, and it has recognized exactly four of the installs - Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Geometry Wars, Deadlight, and Rome: Total War - and none of the others.

Install the games you know you moved over. Steam will start trying to install like usual, notice there's a folder there, validate the files and mark it as being installed.

Welcome back, man.

Uh.

Please tell me you backed up your Documents and Settings folder... because that's where many games store their savegames...

sold my trading cards and got sleeping dogs for free :bouncy:
Bah trading cards.

Rabble!

In the good old days a foil would finance a two week cruise for a family of four!

Not even worth listing now that market sales don't come with complimentary puppies and scotch!

Install the games you know you moved over. Steam will start trying to install like usual, notice there's a folder there, validate the files and mark it as being installed.
Okay. That seems to work - sort of. Some games it recognizes and they then become ready to play immediately. Others have to download fairly substantial updates. I guess it's trying to get DirectX or something again? Sigh...oh well, I guess that's as good as I'm going to get. Thanks!

(Also, the demos I had previously downloaded don't appear listed in my library...argh)

Uh.

Please tell me you backed up your Documents and Settings folder... because that's where many games store their savegames...
Pfft, tell me about it. All those folders mixing with my actual documents aggravate my OCD. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I backed up the ones I cared about. But thanks for your concern. :)

Okay. That seems to work - sort of. Some games it recognizes and they then become ready to play immediately. Others have to download fairly substantial updates. I guess it's trying to get DirectX or something again? Sigh...oh well, I guess that's as good as I'm going to get. Thanks!
Fallen Enchantress has to download 3 gb?!!! What the fuck ??!!!!!!!

What is the difference between a game directly downloaded to PC and a game downloaded via Steam? Is there any benefit to having it on Steam instead? I just downloaded a bunch of humble bundle games directly to PC, not sure if I should also download them via Steam?

What is the difference between a game directly downloaded to PC and a game downloaded via Steam? Is there any benefit to having it on Steam instead? I just downloaded a bunch of humble bundle games directly to PC, not sure if I should also download them via Steam?
Steam games are usually updated faster than the humble builds, and Steam automatically updates games for you. You also get achievements and Steam cloud saving for some games.

Steam games are usually updated faster than the humble builds, and Steam automatically updates games for you. You also get achievements and Steam cloud saving for some games.
Well, all that as well as having a huge, awesome library to scroll up and down in grid view :bouncy:

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I am going to call in some CAG help here. I just want to bring awareness and stop a guy from ripping off a ton of indies and consumers alike.

I bought Brutal Legend from a seller on ebay earlier today with about 2000 feedback score. First he linked me to direct download of Roller coaster Tycoon and then eventually to the drm free copy of the game on humble bundle. Obviously, this isn't ok. I sent him an email demanding a refund and a response in one hour. He didn't respond so I called ebay and had them pull the auction which he had multiple items of and left him negative feedback. I also filed a claim. My money isn't the issue though.

What makes this worse is that he has tons of feedback that is positive from other buyers regarding these digital downloads that are essentially piracy. I've gone through and reported them all but id appreciate if any of you can do the same. You just go to the auction and right above the description click report item and mark that it is Copyright or Trademark infringement, Bootleg Records or Unauthorized Media, Unauthorized Copies of Media (software and games) and a brief description. Note the seller does have a lot of physical goods as well which i have no idea if it is legit or not but the digital only stuff is all suspect.

Here is a list of suspect items in the spoiler:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Coaster-Tycoon-Deluxe-PC-2003-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/190874930107
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neverwinter-Nights-Diamond-Edition-PC-2005-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/190824773213
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stronghold-Crusader-HD-PC-2012-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/190873696293
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shank-1-2-PC-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200926562845
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Total-Annihilation-Commander-Pack-PC-1999-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/190873694146
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Machinarium-PC-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200926562219
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cave-Story-PC-MAC-LINUX-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200924380121
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Braid-PC-MAC-LINUX-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200924261550
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Botanicula-PC-MAC-LINUX-GAME-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200924100898
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serious-Sam-The-Second-Encounter-PC-Game-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200922527715
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serious-Sam-1-The-First-Encounter-PC-Game-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200922526296
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blocks-That-Matter-PC-MAC-LINUX-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/190838818776
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquaria-PC-MAC-LINUX-GAME-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200912657196
http://www.ebay.com/itm/And-Yet-It-Moves-PC-2009-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/190820952325
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canabalt-Web-Games-2009-PC-MAC-LINUX-ANDROID-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/190839377468
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beat-Hazard-Ultra-PC-MAC-LINUX-ANDROID-GAME-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-ONLY-/200914927650
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atom-Zombie-Smasher-PC-Games-2011-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-/200912657381

If you don't believe me or don't agree with me morally that's ok but I couldn't stand by and let the folks at humble get ripped off and the indie devs. I also understand that ebay can be a sketchy site and isn't always a good place to buy items from but I've had some very good experiences there and totally legit ones. Again I just want to bring awareness to this if I can and stop them.

Cool. Does Steam allow you to redownload the games at any time so I do not have to make local backups?

Cool. Does Steam allow you to redownload the games at any time so I do not have to make local backups?
Yes. That's one of the main reasons people get attached to Steam. You can look at your full library of games in the Steam client, whether installed or not, and download them at any time, usually (unless it's during a major sale) at quite good speeds.

Yup - as long as Steam's servers are up, of course. ;)

If you really want, you can use Steam's Utility to compress and back-up files.

Or, just back up whatever you feel like in your Steam game directory, as it is.

Or, hell - copy your entire Steam-folder directory, if you feel so inclined.

Up to you.

Technically it's even against eBay's terms to sell game codes or digital goods. The buyer can say "I didn't get anything", and since eBay won't see that you "shipped" anything, they'll side with the buyer and the seller will get screwed every time. Even if the seller ships them the code through the mail on a piece of paper, the buyer can say "It didn't work" and again, eBay will side with them.

Pretty hilarious that people are selling DRM-free downloads now. If there's a douchebag way to make money, people will find it, milk it for as long as they can, then move onto the next thing. Nice find, though... Hope that guy gets in trouble.

Since no one's mentioned it yet, Gamefly has Dishonored for $8 after coupon code GFDAUG20. DLC is on sale too.
Not The Knife of Dunwall...for some reason. I just ordered the base game and 2 DLC's from Gamefly with the above code and picked up the Knife of Dunwall DLC from Steam for a grand total of $13.76. For anyone wondering about gamefly's process. They have a client that you have to download, for steam games, just click "quick view" and click the button to copy the steam code for that game/dlc to the clipboard, after your done pasting every code into Steam, go into the gamefly client options, uncheck startup with system, then close the client. painless.

Speaking of Dishonored, can anyone speak on Dunwall City Trials being worth $1.69?  I guess it's $1.35 on GameFly right now after discount. I've heard/read it's dressed up like Dishonored but revolves around luck & less skill with random AI spawning in trying to time trial across an area. I've kind of talked myself out of it, just looking for an opinion if someone has actually played it.

Using the Steam backup feature for more than a couple of games would be horrible. :shock:
IIRC steam's "backup" feature is fairly broken... you're better off copying/compressing the game's folder in /steamapps/

Honestly I've never bothered backing up steam games (though I've moved my steam folder between a few computers and a couple drives. I only bother backing up clientless games.

I just uninstall/reinstall when necessary.  Most games only take fifteen to thirty minutes unless you're talking some crazy 25+ gig interactive movie.

Using the Steam backup feature for more than a couple of games would be horrible. :shock:
It is horrible, they don't let you change the default backup location so I have to go through tons of steps redirecting it to where I want it every damn time. I've thought about backing up the entire steamapps but just haven't done it. You save some space by letting it compress, and it just feels more organized. It's harder to keep up to date though... pros and cons to either approach.

Mother of a fork spooning a freeze pop mid Saturday in Nevada, that scared the fuck out of me! Didn't expect that when catching up on CAG reading. Might as well throw in my 2 cents

You can't go wrong with a Bethesda game unless if you had RPGs or long games. I'm not a person for fantasy based games, so I can't attest well for TES, Fallout on the other hand I can say you really can't go wrong here, whether you want set piece moments or refined gunplay that surprisingly feels less like CoD and more roleplaying. Super great games, if not for the occasional bug. Save often!

I thought the most important part of the DLC was that you could roam the world after you finish the game, so I thought I could buy it and finish it... and then buy the DLC
When you finish the game and realize... that's it... you're going to RAGE and uninstall.

You should get Scorchers with the base game simply because a lot of that content is spread throughout the campaign. It's not an expansion pack of all high level content. If you go back to it after beating the game a huge chunk of it is going to be trivialized. I'd suggest getting it when you start the game or for a 2nd complete playthrough.
And this. :)

I was merely answering the question of RAGE + no DLC now .... or Quake 4. By all means buy RAGE -DLC and get it later if that floats your boat.

Yup - as long as Steam's servers are up, of course. ;)

If you really want, you can use Steam's Utility to compress and back-up files.

Or, just back up whatever you feel like in your Steam game directory, as it is.

Or, hell - copy your entire Steam-folder directory, if you feel so inclined.

Up to you.
Where are the files you need to copy on a PC for any specific game in your Steam directory? Would it be:

C: -> Program files(x86) -> Steam -> SteamApps -> common -> Metro 2033. Just copy that Metro folder? What if there is a Metro folder in my documents folder, would I need to copy that too or is that a file that appears after installing?

For anyone wondering about gamefly's process. They have a client that you have to download, for steam games, just click "quick view" and click the button to copy the steam code for that game/dlc to the clipboard, after your done pasting every code into Steam, go into the gamefly client options, uncheck startup with system, then close the client. painless.
Maybe it's different for you for some reason, but you shouldn't need to use GameFly's client to view Steam keys. GameStop...yes, GameFly...no. Just go into your account, click on purchase history, click on the order detail in question and your key will be there. It should also show up in your "GameFly Order Status Update" email.

Where are the files you need to copy on a PC for any specific game in your Steam directory? Would it be:

C: -> Program files(x86) -> Steam -> SteamApps -> common -> Metro 2033. Just copy that Metro folder? What if there is a Metro folder in my documents folder, would I need to copy that too or is that a file that appears after installing?
Lots of games use your documents folder for savegames and game config files, so ideally yes, you want to copy those too. You're correct though in that the steamapps folder is the primary game folder. Though I'm not sure why you'd only want to copy a specific game's folder.

Quick question about booster packs:

How easy are people finding them to sell? I've got a Krater pack on the market and it just won't budge (I've undercut the lowest price several times already).

I'm tempted to unpack it and just list the individual cards seperately, people don't seem to be willing to pay a premium for a shot at getting a foil card.

Thoughts?

How easy are people finding them to sell? I've got a Krater pack on the market and it just won't budge (I've undercut the lowest price several times already).
I'm tempted to unpack it and just list the individual cards seperately, people don't seem to be willing to pay a premium for a shot at getting a foil card.
Thoughts?
I haven't had a problem moving them when I get them. Usually takes a day max unless the market is artificially high.

Thoughts?

You have to factor-in fucks with a game like this.

Krater is probably in a fcuk recession. Perhaps there's a moratorium on giving fucks. An embargo possibly.

When you finish the game and realize... that's it... you're going to RAGE and uninstall.
LOL. The sad thing is, I don't think I'll be playing it that much until next sale xD

And this. :)
I was merely answering the question of RAGE + no DLC now .... or Quake 4. By all means buy RAGE -DLC and get it later if that floats your boat.
Quake 4 sale was over when I decided to buy it :(. That's why I later insisted on knowing more about RAGE

Technically it's even against eBay's terms to sell game codes or digital goods. The buyer can say "I didn't get anything", and since eBay won't see that you "shipped" anything, they'll side with the buyer and the seller will get screwed every time. Even if the seller ships them the code through the mail on a piece of paper, the buyer can say "It didn't work" and again, eBay will side with them.

Pretty hilarious that people are selling DRM-free downloads now. If there's a douchebag way to make money, people will find it, milk it for as long as they can, then move onto the next thing. Nice find, though... Hope that guy gets in trouble.
Welcome back man!

I sold a Binding of Isaac booster this weekend for something like 82¢, the average BoI card going for 20¢ or so. I've actually been listing stuff for a penny or two over the low price and just giving it time -- out of twelve cards listed over the weekend, eleven of them sold like that. Especially when you post at night, prices have ebbed and pick up again in the morning so your "expensive" cards start looking more attractive.

I've bought a number of Steamworks games from Gamefly and never once had to install the client. Gamesstop has a tedency to do that but Gamefly you should always be able to get your keys w/o the client.

I find when I backup C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/ and then restore it that Steam does detect the existing files and does not re-download. Usually. I've had a couple of exceptions for some reason or other.

Of course as was mentioned saves are stored elsewhere so you want to back those up too unless you have cloud save.

I'm actually glad Bethesda added cloud save to Morrowind and Oblivion a couple of years back in spite of their being old games. I'm pretty terrible at backing my stuff up and seem to always forget to back something, or multiple somethings, up and have lost saves for a number of games over the years.

You have to factor-in fucks with a game like this.

Krater is probably in a fcuk recession. Perhaps there's a moratorium on giving fucks. An embargo possibly.
Where there's a recession, there's a market in sub-prime opportunity. There's room for a leveraged fuck ETF out there, I can smell it. We just need some capture on downside fuck volatility and the earnings stream upload will be tangible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back