The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to get the Witcher Director's cut and To the Moon with Gabenz Fun Bucks. 

Decided to wait on The Witcher 2 till it gets sub $3. I'm such a CAG lol.

Yeah, to be fair, HP CS has been good so far. My issue is that I first had issues with it in April and this will now be the 4th time I've had to send it back since there has been an issue with it each time it came back. Mainly the LCD they replaced has dead pixels and damage to it. The turn around time is decent but that will still mean a full month since I sent it in that I will have been without my laptop. They have a lemon policy which should technically be in play right now, but from the time I first sent it in to now the warrant on my laptop expired so they keep trying to find a way to not honor it, even though this all stems from the original repair while it was in warranty. I think the end of my patience came when the CSR kept insisting I never mentioned an LCD problem any time I called in despite the LCD panel being replaced during the first repair.
Keep pushing for the lemon bit! I can't speak for HP, but my 2003 Powerbook developed a flaky USB port, near the end of it's three year warranty, and my repairs came up flawed three/four times (1 of 2 non-funtioning RAM slots, always crashed on battery, trying-to-remember)... anyhow when i explained this was the 3rd (4th?) time I'd had to bring it in due to faulty repairs, the Genius girl went to speak to her manager and it was replaced with a new (late 2006 model, then-current) MacBook Pro. At this point it was 6-7 months past the end of the 3-year warranty (but each repair added a 90-day extension iirc). I've also gotten batteries replaced under warranty.

so this isn't related to anything, but I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. I'm looking to get a new mid-tier (I think) laptop, and found this one on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKFFFXO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0PKXCNFY2QY9YFM1G68X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

It seemed a decent deal to me, but I couldn't find much about it so I was wondering if anyone could give me their take on it. I don't intend to play a lot of high end games on it, but want to get something decent anyway. This is pretty much my max budget, but I'm open to basically anything if you guys can find something better :)
Acer, as people have said, steer clear of. HPs are cheap, they're not all bad, but I couldn't recommend one of those either. Please, please, please do not buy a Dell. No matter how tempting it is because of cheapness and discounts over the phone, you WILL have problems with a Dell. Before I ponied up to buy my own laptop, by family always bought Dells (because we're piss poor and my parents don't know much about computers), and there are always problems. I mean, for the price, maybe one could argue that they last long enough, but really, it's not worth it.

Asus, I'll cautiously recommend them. I was seriously considering buying one when I was laptop shopping, but changed my mind when I found out that they moved their customer support to the Caribbean. No kidding, mon. People complain about long repair times, and even cases where they send their laptop out for repairs, and it comes back with NOTHING done to it. Seriously disheartening to hear that, since customer support is kinda a big deal.

Lenovo's aren't terrible options for the price, but as a general rule of thumb, their quality has dropped since IBM sold the company to China. More problems, worse construction, etc. They're still solid machines and better than a lot of their competitors, but they've been going downhill.

As for brands I'd heartily recommend, Sager and MSI. Both are very solid companies with very few complaints versus the competition, and they put together excellent laptops. They don't overcharge for the components you're getting (MSI may a tiny bit on the high end laptops, but Sager really doesn't), and they're just damned good laptops. If you're gonna cough up $500+, I must stress that you should really think about your purchase and buy something that's a solid, wise investment. It's seriously worth taking a little more time, saving up a little more money, and getting something that's going to last you, have less problems, and accomplish what you want it to do better. They both are supposed to have solid support too (Sager is lifetime labor, limited time parts).

Good luck in the laptop hunt!

Yeah, to be fair, HP CS has been good so far. My issue is that I first had issues with it in April and this will now be the 4th time I've had to send it back since there has been an issue with it each time it came back. Mainly the LCD they replaced has dead pixels and damage to it. The turn around time is decent but that will still mean a full month since I sent it in that I will have been without my laptop. They have a lemon policy which should technically be in play right now, but from the time I first sent it in to now the warrant on my laptop expired so they keep trying to find a way to not honor it, even though this all stems from the original repair while it was in warranty. I think the end of my patience came when the CSR kept insisting I never mentioned an LCD problem any time I called in despite the LCD panel being replaced during the first repair.
Are you dealing with them over the phone or over their HP support chat client?

I had a HP G6 and it's the worst investment ever made, such a bad laptop, overheating just by watching movies sometimes, I can't even tell you about games because almost none of them worked fine.

Now I have a Lenovo Y500 and it's just awesome, everything is fine, quality is pretty good, nice features, upgrade to SLI, I truly recommend it.

Nuuvem update, received a NA region key for SR4 today. I'd purchase from these guys again (but not pre-order) after they went the extra mile to fulfill international orders. :applause:

tumblr_m9y9hwfNmG1rrt6fjo1_500.gif

Acer, as people have said, steer clear of. HPs are cheap, they're not all bad, but I couldn't recommend one of those either. Please, please, please do not buy a Dell. No matter how tempting it is because of cheapness and discounts over the phone, you WILL have problems with a Dell. Before I ponied up to buy my own laptop, by family always bought Dells (because we're piss poor and my parents don't know much about computers), and there are always problems. I mean, for the price, maybe one could argue that they last long enough, but really, it's not worth it.

Asus, I'll cautiously recommend them. I was seriously considering buying one when I was laptop shopping, but changed my mind when I found out that they moved their customer support to the Caribbean. No kidding, mon. People complain about long repair times, and even cases where they send their laptop out for repairs, and it comes back with NOTHING done to it. Seriously disheartening to hear that, since customer support is kinda a big deal.

Lenovo's aren't terrible options for the price, but as a general rule of thumb, their quality has dropped since IBM sold the company to China. More problems, worse construction, etc. They're still solid machines and better than a lot of their competitors, but they've been going downhill.

As for brands I'd heartily recommend, Sager and MSI. Both are very solid companies with very few complaints versus the competition, and they put together excellent laptops. They don't overcharge for the components you're getting (MSI may a tiny bit on the high end laptops, but Sager really doesn't), and they're just damned good laptops. If you're gonna cough up $500+, I must stress that you should really think about your purchase and buy something that's a solid, wise investment. It's seriously worth taking a little more time, saving up a little more money, and getting something that's going to last you, have less problems, and accomplish what you want it to do better. They both are supposed to have solid support too (Sager is lifetime labor, limited time parts).

Have you tested all those brands?

I also recommend To the Moon. Its worth it even @ the regular price. You should play it in one sitting as you will enjoy the story that way. Also be careful of dusts in your room when your near the end of the game. It irritated my eyes when I finished it.
lol

thanks, I guess I will spend a bit more time looking around for a decent Lenovo or maybe Asus. I'd go for a Sager or MSi, but obviously they are way more than I want to spend (and I don't really need anything extremely powerful anyway).

And thanks for all the other responses too, got a lot of good advice which stopped me from purchasing what will likely be a headache waiting to happen :)

I got a Dell a few months ago after a Lenovo Laptop died after about 2 years. So far it is much better, but that might be because the newer one has Windows 8. W8>W7

AFAIK that is the lowest. That's my jump in price too so I'm tempted, but then there's the whole DLC thing. Is the DLC anything special worth waiting for a cheap GOTY version or no?
I thought the Captain Scarlett DLC was ok. The Torgue DLC was pretty funny, Hammerlock DLC was terrible, and Tiny Tina's DLC was pretty good.

Keep pushing for the lemon bit! I can't speak for HP, but my 2003 Powerbook developed a flaky USB port, near the end of it's three year warranty, and my repairs came up flawed three/four times (1 of 2 non-funtioning RAM slots, always crashed on battery, trying-to-remember)... anyhow when i explained this was the 3rd (4th?) time I'd had to bring it in due to faulty repairs, the Genius girl went to speak to her manager and it was replaced with a new (late 2006 model, then-current) MacBook Pro. At this point it was 6-7 months past the end of the 3-year warranty (but each repair added a 90-day extension iirc). I've also gotten batteries replaced under warranty.
I'll try, but after spending an hour on the phone with three different people, only one of which knew what she was doing but was from the wrong department, I'll be happy to just get it repaired at this point. I had a lemon replacement one, it was nice - Sam's Club actually just cut a check for what I paid for the laptop three years earlier which was nice since I got a better one for less money and pocketed the difference.

mooby he was paid to loves to windows 8

im sorry fuck windows 8. winddows 7 is greater than windows 8 by miles they went to tablet which im not tablet guy if i want it i use tablet but i use a laptop for work school gaming mostly but not to do tablet stuff it stays in tablet never tablet. microsoft worst mistake. reason i didnt tried to get a's because of windows 8 was the worst windows too tablety

Have you tested all those brands?
I've used Dells and HPs for years (there was a Compaq or two in there too... dark days). Acer I haven't, but I've heard almost nothing good about them. Asus, never even touched one, and by all counts I've heard tons of good about them, it's just the terrible support that puts up a big red flag. Lenovo I haven't had experience with, but I've used an IBM laptop before (old, but super solid), and I've heard on countless occasions how the quality has dropped off since the company sold. China isn't exactly known for taking products to the next level, quality wise...

As for Sagers, that's what I'm using now. My friend also owns a different Sager laptop than me, and he hasn't had any issues either. They're really, really good computers. My ex girlfriend has an MSI, and it's done great for her.

(Helps that I neurotically researched every laptop brand to death for months before I bought mine.)

thanks, I guess I will spend a bit more time looking around for a decent Lenovo or maybe Asus. I'd go for a Sager or MSi, but obviously they are way more than I want to spend (and I don't really need anything extremely powerful anyway).

And thanks for all the other responses too, got a lot of good advice which stopped me from purchasing what will likely be a headache waiting to happen :)
Sager and MSI do make cheaper models you know...

point me toward them then by all means, because I can't find anything under $600.
Probably nothing under $600. Prices are pretty much the same everywhere when it comes to Sagers and MSIs.

It's your money and your choice, of course, but like I said before, if you could wait a few months, save money, so that you can spend a couple hundred extra on a system that's going to last you 5+ years instead of 3 (worse quality, more dated components), that's really the best move. If you're already going to drop $500+, it would be good to get something that's going to perform well and last you.

dont u mean aj black widow my avatar and kaitlyn spear aj and then they both spear me and black widow i think that what u meean lol..
You watch wrestling, right?

Wrestlers been known to throw their opponent's own finishing move at them. ;)

EDIT:

Though, if AJ tried to Spear Kaitlyn, I think Kaitlyn might swat her like a fly!

As much as I liked AJ - AJ's nowhere as strong as Kaitlyn.

Probably nothing under $600. Prices are pretty much the same everywhere when it comes to Sagers and MSIs.

It's your money and your choice, of course, but like I said before, if you could wait a few months, save money, so that you can spend a couple hundred extra on a system that's going to last you 5+ years instead of 3 (worse quality, more dated components), that's really the best move. If you're already going to drop $500+, it would be good to get something that's going to perform well and last you.
well I would...but the thought of having to use this computer for a few more months...I'm not sure it's in me :-({|=

What if one dual-booted Win 7 + 8 on the PC? ;)
Y U DOO THIS?

well I would...but the thought of having to use this computer for a few more months...I'm not sure it's in me :-({|=
As someone who used a broken Dell laptop for years that couldn't even use the internet for the last 6 months or so, I feel your pain. It's seriously worth the wait if you can get something awesome, though.

You watch wrestling, right?

Wrestlers been known to throw their opponent's own finishing move at them. ;)

EDIT:

Though, if AJ tried to Spear Kaitlyn, I think Kaitlyn might swat her like a fly!

As much as I liked AJ - AJ's nowhere as strong as Kaitlyn.
yes i do iwatch like when 2006-2007 whenever my sister went to do surgery i was home alone bored and stumble upon it. it was better than al those other shows

Super late to the laptop discussion, but I have a Lenovo for college and those things are indestructible. It's had alcohol spilled on it more than once with no damage at all.

I've used Dells and HPs for years (there was a Compaq or two in there too... dark days). Acer I haven't, but I've heard almost nothing good about them. Asus, never even touched one, and by all counts I've heard tons of good about them, it's just the terrible support that puts up a big red flag. Lenovo I haven't had experience with, but I've used an IBM laptop before (old, but super solid), and I've heard on countless occasions how the quality has dropped off since the company sold. China isn't exactly known for taking products to the next level, quality wise...

As for Sagers, that's what I'm using now. My friend also owns a different Sager laptop than me, and he hasn't had any issues either. They're really, really good computers. My ex girlfriend has an MSI, and it's done great for her.

(Helps that I neurotically researched every laptop brand to death for months before I bought mine.)

Sager and MSI do make cheaper models you know...

That's cool, man.

But you're recommending -- or shitting on -- entire brands by conveying hearsay rather than personal experiences. That's one of the cardinal cancers of the internet.

Another question: When's the last time you used an HP? A Dell? Did you use them for (real) gaming?

:whistle2:x​

That's cool, man.

But you're recommending -- or shitting on -- entire brands by conveying hearsay rather than personal experiences. That's one of the cardinal cancers of the internet.

Another question: When's the last time you used an HP? A Dell? Did you use them for (real) gaming?
Not really shitting on brands. Warning of Asus' bad support (proven fact), saying that Dells and HPs are generally more about economy aren't the same quality as other brands (also fairly common knowledge), saying that Lenovo was sold by IBM to China (fact) and that the quality has dropped (fairly widely known), etc.

I haven't used an HP in awhile, but my cousin JUST bought a new one and is immediately having hardware problems with it, so there's that (though that's a chance happening for any brand). As for "real" gaming, not sure what you mean. I've never been a huge PC gamer until my current system. I forced my last Dell laptop to play some "real" games, but that kinda topped out at stuff like Torchlight, VtM Bloodlines, King's Bounty, etc. I doubt you could consider that "real" gaming.

I try not to spread hearsay when I'm talking about a more serious subject. I don't think anything I've said is really hearsay, I spent a lot of time doing the research I did, talked to a lot of people I know who are knowledgeable about computers, etc. And the only brands I've recommended have been ones I've had firsthand experience with, or I have trusted friends with firsthand experience.

Hell, Alienware is solid too, just outrageously overpriced.

Not really shitting on brands. Warning of Asus' bad support (proven fact), saying that Dells and HPs are generally more about economy aren't the same quality as other brands (also fairly common knowledge), saying that Lenovo was sold by IBM to China (fact) and that the quality has dropped (fairly widely known), etc.

I haven't used an HP in awhile, but my cousin JUST bought a new one and is immediately having hardware problems with it, so there's that (though that's a chance happening for any brand). As for "real" gaming, not sure what you mean. I've never been a huge PC gamer until my current system. I forced my last Dell laptop to play some "real" games, but that kinda topped out at stuff like Torchlight, VtM Bloodlines, King's Bounty, etc. I doubt you could consider that "real" gaming.

I try not to spread hearsay when I'm talking about a more serious subject. I don't think anything I've said is really hearsay, I spent a lot of time doing the research I did, talked to a lot of people I know who are knowledgeable about computers, etc. And the only brands I've recommended have been ones I've had firsthand experience with, or I have trusted friends with firsthand experience.

Hell, Alienware is solid too, just outrageously overpriced.
Alienwares are made by Dell

As someone who used a broken Dell laptop for years that couldn't even use the internet for the last 6 months or so, I feel your pain. It's seriously worth the wait if you can get something awesome, though.
While I'd love a super high end laptop with all the bells and whistles, I'm honestly not sure it would be the best thing for me. For one I really don't care about being able to max out graphics on the latest and greatest game, and if I did I would rather just buy a better desktop, and two because carrying around a 700-800 laptop would make me extremely nervous given my history of tripping at the worst times possible :whee:

Ultimately this is probably partly me rationalizing getting a cheaper model, but I can't see myself spending much more than what I'm currently looking to on a laptop, at least not until I'm done with school (if not for college I'd probably just get a desktop now, but it's kinda a prerequisite).

Super late to the laptop discussion, but I have a Lenovo for college and those things are indestructible. It's had alcohol spilled on it more than once with no damage at all.
better make it walk the line just to be safe ;)

I haven't dual-booted Win 7 and 8 on same PC.

I don't even have Win 8.

Only got Win 7 on this PC.
I guess what I meant was why would you even want to?

Alienwares are made by Dell
[customspoiler= Thank you. ]
captain-obvious.jpg
[/customspoiler]

And yes, they're made by Dell, but the quality is much better. There's a reason they overcharge for them.

While I'd love a super high end laptop with all the bells and whistles, I'm honestly not sure it would be the best thing for me. For one I really don't care about being able to max out graphics on the latest and greatest game, and if I did I would rather just buy a better desktop, and two because carrying around a 700-800 laptop would make me extremely nervous given my history of tripping at the worst times possible :whee:

Ultimately this is probably partly me rationalizing getting a cheaper model, but I can't see myself spending much more than what I'm currently looking to on a laptop, at least not until I'm done with school (if not for college I'd probably just get a desktop now, but it's kinda a prerequisite).
I dunno, spending an extra $200 isn't a "super high end laptop with all the bells and whistles". It's just paying a bit more for a better, more capable, quality system that's going to last you longer and be more enjoyable in the long run. You aren't going to be able to max out graphics on a $700-800 laptop, or even a $1500 laptop.

As I said before, your money, your choice, but I implore you to be patient and buy a better system for a bit more money. Sagers are also durable as fuck, so when you drop that $700-800 laptop it may not break... vs the $500 one that will (hypothetically speaking, of course, but you see what I'm saying).

So the Skullgirls dev turned off the coupons for the game that you get from crafting badges, after reading so many complaints about it. I managed to trade someone 3 regular Rome Total War cards for a 90% off coupon.. ended up getting Skullgirls for $1.50. Before anyone asks.. the coupon didn't work on the 2/4 packs.

I should make at least $2 back from selling the cards (there's 7 drops..). Sucks for anyone that preordered. Also, the dev stated that the coupons were completely intentional, but they didn't realize how high the drop rate would be. They thought it'd be like a 1% chance for the 90% off coupons. Devs/publishers have no control over the drop rate.

captain-obvious.jpg
[/customspoiler]

And yes, they're made by Dell, but the quality is much better. There's a reason they overcharge for them.

I dunno, spending an extra $200 isn't a "super high end laptop with all the bells and whistles". It's just paying a bit more for a better, more capable, quality system that's going to last you longer and be more enjoyable in the long run. You aren't going to be able to max out graphics on a $700-800 laptop, or even a $1500 laptop.

As I said before, your money, your choice, but I implore you to be patient and buy a better system for a bit more money. Sagers are also durable as fuck, so when you drop that $700-800 laptop it may not break... vs the $500 one that will (hypothetically speaking, of course, but you see what I'm saying).
With dell it depends on what you buy, if you but the 300 dollar this will get you on the Internet laptop. You're gonna get shit parts.

You can buy an xps, get better quality. To say dells are shit when you yourself said your parent didnt have much money, and most likely bought the get on the net for 300 dollar( with monitor included) systems isn't really a way to judge it

I myself have had many dells, never had issues. Bought an Alienware. Had huge problems.

With dell it depends on what you buy, if you but the 300 dollar this will get you on the Internet laptop. You're gonna get shit parts.

You can buy an xps, get better quality. To say dells are shit when you yourself said your parent didnt have much money, and most likely bought the get on the net for 300 dollar( with monitor included) systems isn't really a way to judge it

I myself have had many dells, never had issues. Bought an Alienware. Had huge problems.
We didn't only have bottom of the line Dells. You'll ALWAYS get a better laptop the more you spend regardless of the company, but if you're going to drop a wad of money and you're gonna drop it on a Dell? Have fun with that.

There are honestly such better options. I just mentioned Alienwares for the luls anyways.

We didn't only have bottom of the line Dells. You'll ALWAYS get a better laptop the more you spend regardless of the company, but if you're going to drop a wad of money and you're gonna drop it on a Dell? Have fun with that.

There are honestly such better options. I just mentioned Alienwares for the luls anyways.
So what you're saying is....Dells aren't bad. Just don't buy cheap ones.

captain-obvious.jpg
[/customspoiler]

ugh, being logical sucks. Everything was so much easier when I was about to ignorantly buy that acer :fridge:

I can see your point, waiting just sucks. You're probably right that it's what I should do though...

You couldn't by chance link me to a Sager/MSi that you have seem to be thinking of could you? Would certainly make holding off easier if I can compare it with some cheaper models and decide if the upgrade is worth it (in case it's not obvious I haven't bought a laptop in years, so I'm not exactly great at finding the best price to performance).

It all depends on what you need/want to spend.  I bought a 1500 laptop once with the "spend more get more" mind set that was supposed to be my everything computer.  Had a dedicated graphics card.  It was shit.  Never worked right, overheated, never even played any games because it overheated.  Seriously. Had it for three years and it would stutter during intro cut scenes. 

That finally got lemoned out after sending back over and over.

Since then I've had three laptops that in total cost me like $1300 for all three.  I average a laptop every 2 years but even then I have spent less than I spent on the $1500 machine and gotten 6 full years of use out of them.

I've had some issues, but overall I prefer my strategy.  Possibly down the line I might buy a pricier, higher quality machine, but with laptops I run them all day (leading to more likelihood they will mess up) and there's always the risk of damage/drop etc. due to portability. 

The one I have right now is:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-7010us-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0089KDD5C

It's not the best reviewed one, but it cost me around 400 after sales/rebates/etc. at Staples and has run most games I've wanted to play in a playable manner for me.  Sometimes the FPS might drop on some of the more intense games, but overall it runs games pretty well. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back