The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on what you need/want to spend. I bought a 1500 laptop once with the "spend more get more" mind set that was supposed to be my everything computer. Had a dedicated graphics card. It was shit. Never worked right, overheated, never even played any games because it overheated. Seriously. Had it for three years and it would stutter during intro cut scenes.

That finally got lemoned out after sending back over and over.

Since then I've had three laptops that in total cost me like $1300 for all three. I average a laptop every 2 years but even then I have spent less than I spent on the $1500 machine and gotten 6 full years of use out of them.

I've had some issues, but overall I prefer my strategy. Possibly down the line I might buy a pricier, higher quality machine, but with laptops I run them all day (leading to more likelihood they will mess up) and there's always the risk of damage/drop etc. due to portability.

The one I have right now is:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-7010us-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0089KDD5C

It's not the best reviewed one, but it cost me around 400 after sales/rebates/etc. at Staples and has run most games I've wanted to play in a playable manner for me. Sometimes the FPS might drop on some of the more intense games, but overall it runs games pretty well.
this is also very good logic. I would probably have it on all day as well, and know heating can become a problem (I'm sure there are ones that don't, but I've heard a lot more stories of ones that do). The laptop you linked is actually almost identical to one I was thinking to get a few months back, and if it can run games decent enough for your standards (which are probably higher than mine to be honest), I expect a $500-550 model would be enough for me. If it lasts 3 years that's good enough for me, and if nothing else I will at least have something that was made in the last decade (I wasn't joking when I said my current PC was bad).

The one I have right now is:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-7010us-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0089KDD5C

It's not the best reviewed one, but it cost me around 400 after sales/rebates/etc. at Staples and has run most games I've wanted to play in a playable manner for me. Sometimes the FPS might drop on some of the more intense games, but overall it runs games pretty well.

AMD Radeon HD 7640G Discrete-Class graphics and up to 3060MB total graphics memory

ok

Screen Resolution 1366 x 768

LIQIz.gif

this is also very good logic. I would probably have it on all day as well, and know heating can become a problem (I'm sure there are ones that don't, but I've heard a lot more stories of ones that do). The laptop you linked is actually almost identical to one I was thinking to get a few months back, and if it can run games decent enough for your standards (which are probably higher than mine to be honest), I expect a $500-550 model would be enough for me. If it lasts 3 years that's good enough for me, and if nothing else I will at least have something that was made in the last decade (I wasn't joking when I said my current PC was bad).
Yeah, I pretty much have opposing thought processes on desktops vs laptops. My desktop I'll try to maximize parts quality/longevity and minimize future upgrades. Laptops I look at like long term leases. I'll spend low to moderate funds ($500-$600) and be willing to replace them after two to three years. selling my previous model each time recouping some costs. However, I'm not a heavy laptop user (aside from work) as I have a desktop for my gaming and whatnot.

Yeah, I definitely think 500 to 550 is more than enough to get a good laptop.

People joke about integrated graphics, but with the speed processors are today and the large amount of RAM a lot of these machines come with, integrated graphics can actually pull a fair amount of power from the processor and RAM. I think the A8 and A10 series from AMD are integrated, but work really well. I've been surprised. I've run into a few games that just stutter a but too much, but most older and indie games have been no problem and I've been able to play stuff that came out last year (Sleeping Dogs, NBA 2K13, EuroTruck Sim 2).

I think if you get the right integrated graphics or a dedicated card you'll be fine. You could even invest in an extended warranty if you wanted to guarantee you'll have a laptop for three years or whatever.

My strategy for laptop buying is to stalk the ads of Bestbuy, Staples, Officemax, and Office Depot every Sunday for a month or two until I find one that fits what I wanted at a discounted price. They always have a few each week to try to bring in people so if you find one, go that Sunday and you can usually find it. Use your rewards cards and get $5-$15 bucks back in points too.

It's cool that they allowed the existence of the 90% off coupon.  If more devs/pubs would do this, something that would require Valve to give them control over drop chances, there would again be incentive to craft badges.

It seems to me that the ideal scenario would be for coupons to be the best deal available, but extremely limited so people would most likely have to trade for them and they'd actually have value.  Every time a game reaches a new sale threshold, a newly-attainable coupon for 5% better is added to the drop table.  People craft badges, cards become more valuable, and Valve and devs/pubs make more money.  The only losers are those who obsessively MUST get the best deal.

Remember the rare Skyrim coupon the winter after its release that brought the price down to... half was it?  And how it was the holy grail of coupons?  That needs to happen again on occasion.

So what you're saying is....Dells aren't bad. Just don't buy cheap ones.
Do you have to argue? Just about every PC company's products in existence are generally made of the same exact parts by the same exact people. The difference 1. is support, which Dell is really spotty on, and 2. the construction and reliability of the system. Dell isn't very good there. What the hell is the point in spending $1000+ on a Dell that will be a little better and more reliable when you can spend less on another system and have it be just as reliable? I don't even see what you're arguing about.

EDIT: If you're arguing about Alienwares being good or not, I wasn't really even getting into that. They're not worth the money. That said, Dell didn't always own the Alienware name. They bought it and have generally kept the quality close to where it originally was at. Any company could have done this. Hell, Acer probably could have done this and kept the quality generally the same. For that reason I don't really consider Alienwares the same as Dells, regardless of who owns the name.

ugh, being logical sucks. Everything was so much easier when I was about to ignorantly buy that acer :fridge:

I can see your point, waiting just sucks. You're probably right that it's what I should do though...

You couldn't by chance link me to a Sager/MSi that you have seem to be thinking of could you? Would certainly make holding off easier if I can compare it with some cheaper models and decide if the upgrade is worth it (in case it's not obvious I haven't bought a laptop in years, so I'm not exactly great at finding the best price to performance).
Well, this is pricier, but it's a worthy investment. Go to the tech spec page and compare it to cheaper laptops you're looking at, for reference.

You could always sell your body on the street for some spare change.

Do you have to argue? Just about every PC company's products in existence are generally made of the same exact parts by the same exact people. The difference 1. is support, which Dell is really spotty on, and 2. the construction and reliability of the system. Dell isn't very good there. What the hell is the point in spending $1000+ on a Dell that will be a little better and more reliable when you can spend less on another system and have it be just as reliable? I don't even see what you're arguing about.

Well, this is pricier, but it's a worthy investment. Go to the tech spec page and compare it to cheaper laptops you're looking at, for reference.

Not arguing just wondering where you are coming from here.... You said earlier Dells are more economy than quality....now they are more expensive but with bad support.

I got this

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwn24s&model_id=inspiron-17r-se-7720&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

For 550 after tax 5 months ago.

Works for me to game on when I'm not at home with my desktop. No issues other than with optimus and thats just with shitty Sega games for the most part...even when the 650m doesnt kick in...like Fox was saying earlier with on board graphics card does well enough to run things

Do you have to argue?
Seriously, dude, when someone distills one of your lengthy posts into a single-sentence summary, that's not them arguing with you. And when you take offense and go on to repeat your previous post, it's still not an argument. It's you making the same point with unnecessary venom added against the imagined adversary.

(Of course, when you take offense and go on to make a longer post making the exact opposite point as done previously, then it's /popcorn time.)

Screw you all and your trivial laptop bullshit. You want gaming and performance and customization, you get a desktop. You want portability, you get a tablet. You want to write a shitty literary fiction on your intelligentsia-geared blog in a coffee shop where everyone can see that you didn't even need to proofread it before posting, you get an attachable tablet keyboard.

Not arguing just wondering where you are coming from here.... You said earlier Dells are more economy than quality....now they are more expensive but with bad support.
I honestly don't even know how you got that out of anything I said. Most companies have expensive high end models. I'm not really gonna go look, but there are probably high end Acers that perform alright too. Is Compaq still around? You can probably buy a $3000 Compaq and it will probably perform fine (who knows, right?).

I never said Dells were expensive... But yes, generally Dells are economy systems that aren't going to burst into flames when you open the package, but aren't amazing. Support? Yeah, myself and my parents have dealt with crappy support many times over the years. Any PC you're gonna buy is still running on Windows 7/8 with generally the same components, just in different "clothes". You can buy anything and quite possibly have no problems and everything will be great, whether you're buying a Dell, Lenovo, Clevo, whatever. Doesn't mean that certain brands are smarter purchases, but at the same time I'm not saying you're terrible for buying a Dell. I just, in my experience with them, have had a lot of annoyances and disappointment. I never said every single instance was hell.

Seriously, dude, when someone distills one of your lengthy posts into a single-sentence summary, that's not them arguing with you. And when you take offense and go on to repeat your previous post, it's still not an argument. It's you making the same point with unnecessary venom added against the imagined adversary.

(Of course, when you take offense and go on to make a longer post making the exact opposite point as done previously, then it's /popcorn time.)
Snarky post in question: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/317429-the-steam-deals-cards-thread-v9-hidden-total-war-deals/page-150#entry11006049

I'm not angry. There's no venum- er, venom or "adversary". It's just a contrarian reply that's kinda putting words in my mouth and is a little snarky. And really, when you're trying to explain something in detail and someone generally debates the point with one liners, slightly annoying.

Always happy to provide entertainment, though.

I have gone through 4 PC laptops in the past 9 years. I loved my Toshiba, Lenovo, and my current Asus, The only brand I had a problem with was my HP which was sent back to them 4 times before I gave up on it. My current Asus is great for the price point. It has few problem playing most games and if it has problem, if you lower the settings, they usually go away.

At $400 right now, it is a steal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COR29XI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^^

Was on my radar, but I think I'm settling on the Lenovo I linked earlier. Fits my needs and budgets, Lenovo's build quality seems to be decent, and I won't have to meticulously hunt around waiting for a deal to drop. That's pretty much all I want :)

^^

Was on my radar, but I think I'm settling on the Lenovo I linked earlier. Fits my needs and budgets, Lenovo's build quality seems to be decent, and I won't have to meticulously hunt around waiting for a deal to drop. That's pretty much all I want :)
I doubt you'll be too disappointed with that (not to mention you should be able to run games pretty well at 1366x768 with that card). I was close to pulling the trigger on a Lenovo before I decided to say "fuck it, money is no option!" Granted I'll probably never be able to say that phrase again.

I have gone through 4 PC laptops in the past 9 years. I loved my Toshiba, Lenovo, and my current Asus, The only brand I had a problem with was my HP which was sent back to them 4 times before I gave up on it. My current Asus is great for the price point. It has few problem playing most games and if it has problem, if you lower the settings, they usually go away.

At $400 right now, it is a steal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COR29XI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That one looks similar to the one I currently have so it should run games pretty well.

I think the problem with this situation is when people come in asking for a decent laptop/desktop/etc/ at a certain price, you always have the flood of "just spend more to get something better." It's logical advice, but when someone is looking to spend 400-500, spending 200 more is spending 1.5 times what they were planning.

I honestly don't even know how you got that out of anything I said. Most companies have expensive high end models. I'm not really gonna go look, but there are probably high end Acers that perform alright too. Is Compaq still around? You can probably buy a $3000 Compaq and it will probably perform fine (who knows, right?).

I never said Dells were expensive... But yes, generally Dells are economy systems that aren't going to burst into flames when you open the package, but aren't amazing. Support? Yeah, myself and my parents have dealt with crappy support many times over the years. Any PC you're gonna buy is still running on Windows 7/8 with generally the same components, just in different "clothes". You can buy anything and quite possibly have no problems and everything will be great, whether you're buying a Dell, Lenovo, Clevo, whatever. Doesn't mean that certain brands are smarter purchases, but at the same time I'm not saying you're terrible for buying a Dell. I just, in my experience with them, have had a lot of annoyances and disappointment. I never said every single instance was hell.

Snarky post in question: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/317429-the-steam-deals-cards-thread-v9-hidden-total-war-deals/page-150#entry11006049

I'm not angry. There's no venum- er, venom or "adversary". It's just a contrarian reply that's kinda putting words in my mouth and is a little snarky. And really, when you're trying to explain something in detail and someone generally debates the point with one liners, slightly annoying.

Always happy to provide entertainment, though.
So what you're saying is...Dells aren't that bad and good deals can be found with them.

I dont know how current dells are, but when I got my inspiron ~7 years ago, nothing could match it on price/performance, especially grabbing it during a holiday sale.  It was even able to still play most new-ish games up until about 2 years ago but is still kicking along just fine.  It really came down to part choice, I chose a higher spec c2d than what most laptops came with because it doubled the cache size.  That along with having a gfx board vs onboard gave it a whole lot longer longevity.  I still use it all the time but have a desktop for real gaming, because lets face it, a laptop just wont compare. Still good for travel, plus when I need mobile compute power or to be able to do real work that a toy like a tablet wont do

You will always find anecdotes for both sides though, just go find one of those sites that has the actual ratings of laptop brands based on servicing over thousands of units, that will give you a real perspective.

-Now for my anecdote, this one is anti-hp

My girlfriend bought one hp, within a year or so its screen crapped out and had all sorts of issues and they wanted hundreds to repair it because it was just out of warranty, it just wasnt worth it.  Recently she got a free HP from a parent, an i3 so not the highest end but good enough for most stuff, and within 2 months it started making a horrible rattling noise.  We decided to open it up and the spot where there are supposed to be 2 screws holding the cpu fan down only had one.  Turns out this is a common occurrence on that model, so we super glued the fan down and now it runs fine, but since I have seen that same issue posted in multiple places it makes me wonder about their quality overall

I dont know how current dells are, but when I got my inspiron ~7 years ago, nothing could match it on price/performance, especially grabbing it during a holiday sale. It was even able to still play most new-ish games up until about 2 years ago but is still kicking along just fine. It really came down to part choice, I chose a higher spec c2d than what most laptops came with because it doubled the cache size. That along with having a gfx board vs onboard gave it a whole lot longer longevity. I still use it all the time but have a desktop for real gaming, because lets face it, a laptop just wont compare. Still good for travel, plus when I need mobile compute power or to be able to do real work that a toy like a tablet wont do

You will always find anecdotes for both sides though, just go find one of those sites that has the actual ratings of laptop brands based on servicing over thousands of units, that will give you a real perspective.

-Now for my anecdote, this one is anti-hp

My girlfriend bought one hp, within 6months its screen crapped out and had all sorts of issues and they wanted hundreds to repair it, it just wasnt worth it. Recently she got a free HP from a parent, an i3 so not the highest end but good enough for most stuff, and within 2 months it started making a horrible rattling noise. We decided to open it up and the spot where there are supposed to be 2 screws holding the cpu fan down only had one. Turns out this is a common occurrence on that model, so we super glued the fan down and now it runs fine, but since I have seen that same issue posted in multiple places it makes me wonder about their quality overall
Yeah, sometimes anything will work just fine. On an anecdotal note from me about my Dell, part of the plastic housing the screen of my Inspiron just totally broke (and I never took the laptop anywhere, it was just cheap construction), the charger died, the hard drive died, and the battery crapped out (silly considering it didn't' get heavy use), all within 2-3 years. Relatively common problems, but within a worrying short window of time, and those weren't the end of the issues of course.

I still have it, and I still have a love/hate relationship with it, but it hasn't painted a very positive picture of Dells for me. We've had a bit pricier nicer Dell desktops over the years and some of them have performed alright, but in general there are just lots of problems. There are stories good and bad for every company, I've just had a lot friends with terrible Dell issues and many of them myself. I tend to base my opinions off of firsthand or secondhand experience, but only from friends I know well as far as secondhand goes. The internet is full of people complaining about issues when they either don't know what they're talking about or caused the problem themselves...

^^

If I were you, I would go and look at the laptop before buying it. Non FHD screens on 15" and up sometimes are crappy. And believe me, you don't want to end with a "washed" screen. You'll eventually calibrate it, but it's a pain in the...

Or just read what reviewers say about the screen. You don't loose anything.

My (now dead) dell xps 17" had that problem, I bought it online without looking at it or reading much reviews. People even make tutorials on how to change the screen with another equivalent but good one

If I were you, I would go and look at the laptop before buying it. Non FHD screens on 15" and up sometimes are crappy. And believe me, you don't want to end with a "washed" screen. You'll eventually calibrate it, but it's a pain in the...

Or just read what reviewers say about the screen. You don't loose anything.

My (now dead) dell xps 17" had that problem, I bought it online without looking at it or reading much reviews. People even make tutorials on how to change the screen with another equivalent but good one
I would, but no stores around me carry it (to my knowledge) and I likely won't be able to get to one anyway before monday when the $30 off promo ends. There also aren't any reviews of this model, though I found a few for some of the rest of the series, and the verdict was it's not great but not terrible either. I'm not to picky about screens really (I'm starting to sound like a broken record), and it can't possibly be worse than my last one ;)

I'm incredibly indecisive, but there's a reason I typically don't ask others for their opinions. Especially on the 'net.

...or, maybe I am just that anti-social. :p
You should've seen when I posted here asking for laptop advice. People practically burned me at the stake for not wanting a desktop.

I still have nightmares...

I'm incredibly indecisive, but there's a reason I typically don't ask others for their opinions. Especially on the 'net.

you should have seen me as a kid in the dollar store, I'd spend a good 15-20 just trying to decide between two near identical pieces of plastic...and then wind up getting cassette tapes of classical piano music :whistle2:

Here are the laptop brands that have been used in my household:

Acer, Compaq, Dell, HP, Asus.

Here are the laptop brands of those I have had trouble with:

I'm with Fox. Scan the Sunday ads and look for stuff in your price/spec range. Then go to the store and actually put the thing in your hands and see how you like it.

Just be sure you know exactly what you want and what you'll get from a laptop. Laptops are great for buyer's remorse if you don't get those two things in harmony.

Any good sites to get up to date info on new games coming out and coming soon?  They usually just spring up on Steam before I know about em, so I'd like to get a little more up to date on things.

Also, League of Legends got hacked so they are as good as dead to me now. 

well...I almost did something really stupid. Somehow I confused the graphics card in the Lenovo I was planning to buy for the 8750M, when in fact it is the weaker 8570M. So that ones out...back to square one :oldman:

I would, but no stores around me carry it (to my knowledge) and I likely won't be able to get to one anyway before monday when the $30 off promo ends. There also aren't any reviews of this model, though I found a few for some of the rest of the series, and the verdict was it's not great but not terrible either. I'm not to picky about screens really (I'm starting to sound like a broken record), and it can't possibly be worse than my last one ;)
notebookcheck, opinions

All in All, for that price is a nice deal... or if you want to sacrifice GPU, this one, with i5 CPU ;)

Not trying to throw down the hammer on ya, my man, but the graphics card in that Sager is comparable to the one in the Lenovo that MackerelNettingSchool has his creepy-fucking-eyes on.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M - Idiot

AMD Radeon HD 8750M - MNS

They were tested on similar hardware although the 740M was occasionally tested with a slightly better processor and double the RAM.

All tests were conducted at 1366x768. I chose to compare what each card can do on preset high settings.

5ccf1156-02d8-4ed4-8c61-58cc8fb9ecc1_zps6bc698c1.jpg

4514ea21-9a0c-4bc2-bf7a-7920357a820e_zps91ef6460.jpg

4321a503-4874-4129-a1f4-aab336a86ff2_zpsf65cd325.jpg

0036e6fc-5048-44de-a19a-9aa3614a6b5c_zpsb3b60446.jpg

0e9dc094-e633-48ab-8b41-ef24abfdba96_zps247f102f.jpg

159fb980-a678-483b-96fa-f1c214fdcc92_zps0da493ee.jpg

^^
  • Same screen size but Sager's res is 1920x1080 compared to Lenovo's 1366x768
  • Sager has a 4th gen Intel i7 quad core processor
  • The Sager is a modular mahfucker -- in the Lenovo, only RAM can be upgraded
  • Sager GPU 1GB VRAM -- Lenovo GPU 2 GB VRAM
  • Sager's GPU can't be upgraded apparently and that's critical because it's incongruously weak compared to the other parts in this $900 laptop
  • Sager 750 GB HD 7200RPM -- Lenovo 500GB 5400RPM
  • Sager 8GB RAM and upgradeable to 16 -- Lenovo has 4GB and can upgrade to 8
  • Sager has a 6-cell battery and Lenovo has a 4 cell
  • Sager 5.9 pounds -- Lenovo 5.3 pounds
  • Sager features a handful of gimmicky extras that might be helpful
  • Sager doesn't include an OS -- Lenovo includes Windows 8
  • CAG 3.0 can and should my balls. I insist.

The Lenovo is $500. The Sager is $900 + extra $ for an OS unless you have a wooden leg.

What do you do?

Any good sites to get up to date info on new games coming out and coming soon? They usually just spring up on Steam before I know about em, so I'd like to get a little more up to date on things.
To my knowledge there is no one site that does this well, you have to mix and match sites.

http://kotaku.com/the-week-in-games-help-is-on-the-way-1161074717

Kotaku does a 'The Week in Games' post every Sunday where they post the major new releases for that week.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/releases

If you scroll down to the bottom of each console section in gamefaqs you'll see a small snippet of upcoming games and their release dates.

http://www.giantbomb.com/new-games/

GB has a decent database of new games and their dates.

Any good sites to get up to date info on new games coming out and coming soon? They usually just spring up on Steam before I know about em, so I'd like to get a little more up to date on things.

Also, League of Legends got hacked so they are as good as dead to me now.
I use this Wikipedia page as it's simple to scroll through and has good information.

One thing it lacks is being able to sort the list by platform, but it's not bad for a quick view.

Have you scoped out those indescribably stupid answers-sites (e.g. Yahoo!)? You get points for responding to questions but you don't have to provide valid answers.

The joker who popped the question picks a "top answer" which is the one that seems most correct to them.

AIDS.

Have you scoped out those indescribably stupid answers-sites (e.g. Yahoo!)? You get points for responding to questions but you don't have to provide valid answers.

The joker who popped the question picks a "top answer" which is the one that seems most correct to them.

AIDS.

I used to be big into Yahoo Answers...I have no idea where my brain was at that time. Its not even a joke, just sad, how bad some replies are...

Not arguing just wondering where you are coming from here....
Man don't argue 'not argue' with him just be his BFF. It's way less exhausting plus you get the occasional LOL link on IM.

Finally figured that out after a lots of :headache:

[customspoiler= I'm out. ]
MHuW96t.gif
[/customspoiler]
There's a first time for everything.

You should've seen when I posted here asking for laptop advice. People practically burned me at the stake for not wanting a desktop.

4xkl.jpg

And now on a completely unrelated, but sorta kinda on topic note (hey it's 10% off. On Reddit that counts as a "deal" :p), I'm super proud that I got an achievement by emailing a lesbian indie game developer a cell phone pic of a mug cake I made in the microwave because my game AI Waifu, who is also a mass murderer, told me to.

kl1q.jpg

To my knowledge there is no one site that does this well, you have to mix and match sites.

http://kotaku.com/the-week-in-games-help-is-on-the-way-1161074717

Kotaku does a 'The Week in Games' post every Sunday where they post the major new releases for that week.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/releases

If you scroll down to the bottom of each console section in gamefaqs you'll see a small snippet of upcoming games and their release dates.

http://www.giantbomb.com/new-games/

GB has a decent database of new games and their dates.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I tried Gamespot's news section, but found it pretty useless. I will check those out.

I use this Wikipedia page as it's simple to scroll through and has good information.

One thing it lacks is being able to sort the list by platform, but it's not bad for a quick view.
This one sounds promising!

Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior (expansion) announced - more details on Monday

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpynx151S_k[/youtube]
This looks cool. I know it amounts to new skins, but still looking cool. War of Roses is getting a vikings expansion.

On the Laptop discussion. I recently had really good luck with Lenovo and their prices are great. My issue is I needed something moderately powerful but still portable. If you watch slickdeals etc you can get a nice deal on a Lenovo. I think I paid around 1100 last september for a y580 w/ 1080p 15 inch, i7, GTX660m, 1gb hdd with solid state cache, 8 gb of ram, and a full service 3 year accidental damage warranty. It's been a great laptop for me but my first order of business was adding a 256gb msata ssd, 16gb of ram, custom unlocked bios, and 5ghz wifi card.

The 5ghz wireless card was the biggest deal to me since most consumer laptops ship with only 2.4 for some reason now. Lenovo is annoying because they lock down their laptops to only work with certain hardware. So you have to buy a specific card or unlock the bios.

That being said I play most of my games on my HTPC so this is only used for things like civ, crusader kings, starcraft, diablo, etc. It can get a bit hot but all laptops can. Battery life has been great as well.

On the other side I bought an ASUS for my wife 4 1/2 years ago. core 2 duo, geforce 9200m, 4 gb ram, etc. I replaced the hdd last year with a solid state because she was complaining about boot time but otherwise that thing is going strong and still works great for her needs.

This looks cool. I know it amounts to new skins, but still looking cool. War of Roses is getting a vikings expansion (which I have an extra beta code for if anyone has a home for it).
Ill try it out.

We got an Acer for my wife recently. Similar price range, but with AMD in it, the A8 series. We hate it. lol. We actually need to send it in for repairs, but it's been nothing but blue and green screens, random shut downs, keyboard squeals, etc. I'd heard nothing but good things about Acer so we likely just got a dud, but it's been annoying.
How's it feel calling her the wife now? :p Congrats BTW to you and Mrs. Fox.

I know the deals aren't terribly exciting now, but can someone change the thread title to Laptop Deals Thread Also Some Steam Talk for now?

Interview: Humble Bundle On Humble Bundles

RPS: There’s a lot of cynicism regarding EA’s involvement in a bundle. I think, from the perspective of what looks likely to be well over $10m going to various charities, at this point it comes down to a big fat who cares about the motivation, when the results are so amazing. But still, was there a hesitation for you guys when starting to take on some of the biggest publishers in the world? While EA’s non-profit approach certainly earns the “humble” mantle, companies like Deep Silver don’t seem to fit that bill.

Humble's John Graham: Our goal is always to make promotions that people want. When we see opportunities to celebrate great content, delight customers with a massive deal and raise tons of money for charity all at once, we have to try. Major credit should be given to Origin and EA for being awesome enough to allow this to happen: not only going the extra mile to offer Steam keys where possible but foregoing a cut in order to raise tons of money for worthy causes. We’ve done many different promotions now that don’t strictly adhere to the original Humble Indie Bundle framework (from eBook bundles to Deep Silver bundles) and have been pretty pleased with everything we’ve tried so far. And rest assured, we are constantly pursuing more Humble Indie Bundles. Opportunities like the Humble Origin Bundle are simply neat things we can do in addition to traditional bundles.
RPS: I think a lot of people assumed the Bundle idea would be relatively short lived. That’s certainly proved not to be the case. Did you always have expectations of things lasting?

John Graham: The gaming industry moves fast and it’s surfing on the technology wave at the exponential speed of Moore’s law. I don’t think any business can survive very long by just doing the same thing. Jeff and I didn’t know if the Humble Bundle concept would work in the first place but we had to find out. When it exceeded our expectations grossing 1.2 million dollars in 10 days, we wanted to know what else we might be able to do with our model. Three years later we have evidence that what we thought originally might only apply to indie gaming seems like it may apply to many shapes and sizes of digital content. We’ve now done over 50 million dollars in bundle revenue, raised over 20 million dollars for charity and I think we still have a lot more work left to do.

There's more...

Ill try it out.

How's it feel calling her the wife now? :p Congrats BTW to you and Mrs. Fox.
Sent and thanks! It's taken some getting used to, but I'm getting the hang of it. Never wore rings before either so remembering to put it on is the biggest thing right now. Good thing she doesn't get offended when I forget.

I silently supported you. I'm still using my Lenovo Z580 with Intel HD3000 graphics although I keep thinking I will move up to a y510 so I can play the other half of my Steam backlog.

Hi my name is Palinn and I am a laptop gamer...

Sent and thanks! It's taken some getting used to, but I'm getting the hang of it. Never wore rings before either so remembering to put it on is the biggest thing right now. Good thing she doesn't get offended when I forget.

Congrats!

About the ring... You're not supposed to take it off! LOL

Congrats!

About the ring... You're not supposed to take it off! LOL
I guess we both need to start doing that. We take it off at home. Don't want to lose it washing dishes/hands/etc so we put it in a place when we get home and wear it out in public. Mine is a little tight so it makes it feel weird when I type.

Angry Nerd Video Game Adventures @ $14.99 retail.

Hahaha good joke. Now what's the real price?

RPS: There’s a lot of cynicism regarding EA’s involvement in a bundle...

Okay I'm just going to stop right there. I think they are just being sensationalistic journalists. I've read threads and posts about it at quite a number of places and the vast majority of the responses have been positive with a few being cautiously optimistic and a spattering others here and there feeling that EA is doing it for PR but the end result is still postive so it's a good thing.

I've seen very few people that were completely negative about this bundle (now the WOT POPULOUS? I DESERVE BETTER FREE GAMES THAN THIS *RAGE* is a different story, but I'm talking about just the general reaction to the bundle here) and those few that were were all quickly shot down by multiple people telling them to STFU.

The negativity is in the minority. It's hard to argue with dirt cheap games that come with Steam keys and raise millions for charity without looking like a total dick.

Toilet Tycoon (Crapsule) - $2.48 ($1.98)
:lol: How fitting.

Ok, in the name of putting deals in this thread, I am going to blatantly copy and paste Neuro5i5's post from the GMG thread:

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition (Steam) - $10.20 ($8.16)

Reus (Steam)- $4.99 ($3.99)

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Steam)- $7.50 ($6.00)

Puddle (Steam) - $3.06 ($2.45)

Toilet Tycoon (Crapsule) - $2.48 ($1.98)

20% off voucher: GMG20-KCDKK-H4TPB

Also Indiegala has yet another Tropico bundle. Yawn.
Updated the quote with the new voucher code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back