The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a key combination that launches the most recent game you've played? I was just sitting on the downloads screen and moved my keyboard & mouse to vaccuum my desk, and next thing I knew Splinter Cell Conviction was starting up!

Is there a key combination that launches the most recent game you've played? I was just sitting on the downloads screen and moved my keyboard & mouse to vaccuum my desk, and next thing I knew Splinter Cell Conviction was starting up!
Did you download it recently, maybe you hit the Play button on the download screen?

I compulsively click the margins of the Steam client sometimes and it's sent me to unexpected URLs twice -- the profile of a seemingly random manguy from outside the center of the universe (US) and an official TF2 pseudo-manual. I couldn't reproduce those happenings.

Did you download it recently, maybe you hit the Play button on the download screen?
No, but it was the most recent game I had launched. I've turned off my PC twice since then. The only download shown on the screen was a Saints Row 4 patch.

BTW They released the patch to un- fuck up Saints Row 4 finally!

Looks like Ubisoft finally added uPlay to the DRM list on the Steam page for Rayman Legends. Finally.
Probably because a bunch of people were complaining. Sometimes making noise helps. :p

I still think Valve should take some responsibility for checking the DRM of what they are selling though. Heck even Gamersgate as much of a mess as they can be sometimes is really on point with the DRM listings.

I figured this would be the best place to ask my question, so here goes nothing.

I'm new to the whole Steam, and I know what it does and how it runs. I just bought my PC today, and I already have a X360 and PS3 so I'm looking to play some PC exclusives.
Care to help me out, and give me some suggestions?

I figured this would be the best place to ask my question, so here goes nothing.

I'm new to the whole Steam, and I know what it does and how it runs. I just bought my PC today, and I already have a X360 and PS3 so I'm looking to play some PC exclusives.

Classics too? Much better on PC shit, too?

mississipp_279721_slide-77c92a0d840050466d13a161a72d596589eea128-s6-c30.jpg

That's a bit, err, vague. What do you like? There's a fair number of strategy games that are PC exclusive but if that's not your cup of tea suggesting it won't do much good.

Other than that, I guess check out indie games and various indie bundles. Some of those have been on consoles too but many haven't.

Most big budget, big hype release AAA action oriented games are going to be cross platform. That's just the way things are now, so I think if that's your thing you'll find few PC exclusives among that group.

That's a bit, err, vague. What do you like? There's a fair number of strategy games that are PC exclusive but if that's not your cup of tea suggesting it won't do much good.

Other than that, I guess check out indie games and various indie bundles. Some of those have been on consoles too but many haven't.

Most big budget, big hype release AAA action oriented games are going to be cross platform. That's just the way things are now, so I think if that's your thing you'll find few PC exclusives among that group.

Hmm, I've heard numerous things about "Gone Home" and that's a game I plan on playing. Amnesia is another one I was interested in, and Im noticing that there are many Indie games that are worth checking out. I'm more into RPG's and Adventure type games.

Hmm, I've heard numerous things about "Gone Home" and that's a game I plan on playing. Amnesia is another one I was interested in, and Im noticing that there are many Indie games that are worth checking out. I'm more into RPG's and Adventure type games.
First of all, welcome to PC gaming. ;)

Secondly, be sure to check out Enhanced Steam (see my signature). When browsing Steam it will give you the lowest current and historical price information, additional info, highlighting things you already own, etc. Very handy.

Thirdly - be sure to check out Terraria (although I guess it's not a PC exclusive now, but still) it's basically oldschool 16-bit RPG meets Minecraft and it's fantastic. You might also like Torchlight II, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, Titan Quest, and Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. All brilliant RPG / Action adventure PC games available on Steam.

Honestly, you're probably better off going with DRM-free games for a lot of your missed PC classics. GOG has plenty of Adventure and RPG games that can be, um, "purchased" for fairly cheap. Other than that, just buy bundled Steam keys and wait for biannual Steam sales. That's the only way you're going to get deals and be content with your purchases.

Here's a little list to build your Steam library:

Humble Weekly - $1 minimum for Dungeonland, War of the Roses Kingmaker, Europa Universalis III Complete, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, Leviathan Warships, and The Showdown Effect

Groupees Be Mine 9 - $1 minimum for The Whispered World, Mini Motor Racing EVO, Depths of Peril, The 39 Steps

Groupees Capsule Computers Bundle - $1 minimum for Super Sanctum TD, Transcripted, and Turba

Groupees Build A Meridian4 Bundle - $5.34 minimum for 20 Steam games (choose all games from Wasteland Angel to Scratches, and 4 bonus games are Steam)

So basically, you can just get 33 PC-exclusive Steam games for $8.34 and start your collection that way.

Hmm well just off the top of my head

Rogue Legacy - Addictive procedurally generated retro metroidvania where dying and passing the torch to descendants is part of the game.

Van Helsing - Well regarded Diablo style A-RPG (haven't played it myself but some people around here really sing its praises)

Inquistor - Really old school style RPG along the lines of Divine Divinity. Dark theme, lots of dialog and choices, might not be very forgiving for someone not used to old CRPGs.

For Adventure most of the Telltale games are pretty well regarded (especially The Walking Dead lately) also Daedelic and Pendulo tend to be liked if on the lighter end.

Note that some of these aren't on sale right now but will be eventually if you're patient and keep an eye out.

You might also want to just browse the indie sale going on right now to celebrate the Greenlight 1 year anniversary, though I think most people here will find most of those discounts underwhelming.

Lately, definitely keep an eye out for indie bundles as they are a very cheap way to get games.

The main ones are Humble (check the weekly for games, the main humble bundle currently is comedy), Groupees, Indie Gala and Indie Royale, but there are a few others. A site the maintains a list of bundles is here: http://www.indiekings.com/p/bundle-tracker.html

Honestly, you're probably better off going with DRM-free games for a lot of your missed PC classics. GOG has plenty of Adventure and RPG games that can be, um, "purchased" for fairly cheap. Other than that, just buy bundled Steam keys and wait for biannual Steam sales. That's the only way you're going to get deals and be content with your purchases.

Here's a little list to build your Steam library:

Humble Weekly - $1 minimum for Dungeonland, War of the Roses Kingmaker, Europa Universalis III Complete, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, Leviathan Warships, and The Showdown Effect

Groupees Be Mine 9 - $1 minimum for The Whispered World, Mini Motor Racing EVO, Depths of Peril, The 39 Steps

Groupees Capsule Computers Bundle - $1 minimum for Super Sanctum TD, Transcripted, and Turba

Groupees Build A Meridian4 Bundle - $5.34 minimum for 20 Steam games

So basically, you can just get 33 PC-exclusive Steam games for $8.34 and start your collection that way.
Not all those games in that Meridian bundle are Steam.

As for DRM free, I wish I could got back in time and tell myself not to buy all those DRM free and/or clientless games I bought when I first started getting into PC digital downloads. My collection is so large now it's just so much easier to have everything in one or two places that I just forget about and never mess with any of that GOG/GG/Amazon etc stuff. I make exceptions every now and again but yeah I bought way too much non client games when I started out that I wish I didn't.

GOG's sales aren't always that great either.

Deu Sex

The newer Total Wars aren't all that far from the RPG genre if you just play the campaign maps. Nowhere near Final Fantasy though.

shinier Fables

Fallout 1 & 2 & fcuk you even Tactics

more...

I'm hoping if Gone Home goes on sale on Steam at a nice price, they match it on their official website.

On their official website - when buying directly from them, you get both DRM-FREE version and Steam-key version.

I wish more game companies did that.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I downloaded Team Fortress 2...and I'm loving it haha! I'm definitely going to check out these other games. I appreciate it, and the humble bundles are definitely I have to look out for.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I downloaded Team Fortress 2...and I'm loving it haha! I'm definitely going to check out these other games. I appreciate it, and the humble bundles are definitely I have to look out for.
if you are looking for another Free2Play game I'd give PlanetSide 2 a look. Basically Battlefield on an even more ridiculous scale with some amazing graphics that won't cost you a dime ;)

There are a bunch of other cool F2P games on steam also, but I can't name too many off the top of my head.

$5 was my price to satisfy my curiosity about it. Supposedly they made a lot of patches to the game since release, so hopefully it's improved.

I think Counter Strike: Go is really good, the official servers are fun for some structure, but I also really find the huge 64 player gun game matches on the bizzare user made maps really fun too.

I think Counter Strike: Go is really good, the official servers are fun for some structure, but I also really find the huge 64 player gun game matches on the bizzare user made maps really fun too.

Did that go free 2 play yet, or was that all in my head?

Nope not F2P, but still very much worth buying. I guess if you play it enough and sell the cosmetic weapons that drop randomly, it would eventually be "free to play" (as in, you would make more on the market than the game cost).

Ok I'm not sure where I read it was F2P then, must have been really tired and took rumors as fact. I'm not really much of a multiplayer person so I've never taken much of a look at it, though I did download the demo and enjoy it. Question: is it easy for newcomers to jump into? I know CS is sorta known for its super hardcore fanbase, so I'm always cautious when looking at multiplayer only games.

Ok I'm not sure where I read it was F2P then, must have been really tired and took rumors as fact. I'm not really much of a multiplayer person so I've never taken much of a look at it, though I did download the demo and enjoy it. Question: is it easy for newcomers to jump into? I know CS is sorta known for its super hardcore fanbase, so I'm always cautious when looking at multiplayer only games.
It's kind of hit and miss. Like you said, it's got a reputation for it's more "intense" players. The most fun I have on it has been setting up a private server and hosting matches with me and my son and bots. Sometimes we get 4-5 others, but it's all people we know and the tone is understood to just be very casual.

Short of setting up a private server (which isn't user-friendly by a mile) you can also play solo games with just you+bots which can be kinda fun or at least good practice.

14 cents or bust.
Well I bought it at $7.49 and my first crate the game dropped I sold for a little over $5 (they're not worth that much now) so I'm doing pretty good. I could probably sell the few extra weapons I have that could close the gap and make up the difference, then anything else I get and sell is just free GabenBux.

Deadly Premonition's Steam Store page is live, mahfuckers!

Mahfuckers, it has cards!

Plus this PC version offers exclusive add-on content not found in the PlayStation 3 release of Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut! And only in the Steam version, earn achievements and collect Steam Trading Cards – complete the whole set before the Raincoat Killer gets you!

I tried out the new f2p-ww2-mmo plane-shooter-game War Thunder today. 

I actually didnt give a shit about the game when i first saw it show up in Steam, but I got interested when I watched this trailer for it by accident:

http://youtu.be/0sfA-NsbzJY

The game is still in beta, and seems to be pretty fun. I only tried one type of mission so far. The match lasted about 5 or 10 minutes. The ones I lost, i didn't really feel too bad about. Its a team vs team game. You gain experience whether you win or lose, but obviously you get more if you win. 

There is a whole lot that I haven't even looked at yet, like plane upgrades, new plane unlocks, differences between what country you are playing for. 

One thing I can say for sure is that the visuals are great. You cant really tell at first because you see all the terrain from the sky view. But once you swoop down there, everything looks real crisp.

I also tried out the alpha for Ridge Racer Driftopia.

I can't do shit. The game always crashes when I try to start a race.

From what I see so far though, it looks like they really want your microtransaction money. I hope I'm wrong.

Not all those games in that Meridian bundle are Steam.

GOG's sales aren't always that great either.

Yeah, there are 20 afaik. 16 to buy, then 4 as bonuses. At least the first 16 listed and the bonuses are ON Steam, so they should come with keys.

And I used quotes for a reason. ;) Something too pricey yet exclusive to GOG can be "obtained" easily since it's DRM-free. Same goes for the select few games that were released on GOG and then removed for whatever reason.

Being that my Uplay knowledge is limited, does anyone know if Far Cry/Far Cry 2 sold on Ubisoft's Store activate in the new updated Uplay client.  I ask because I had RS:V2 on the old client and after the 3.0 update, it's apparently not supported.

Edit: Apparently they are not Uplay enabled

Torchlight 2 is a good PC exclusive.
Absolutely.

If gamers ever wanted a true gameplay-style sequel to Diablo 2, but instead thrown into a steampunk setting - this is the ticket.

I should go back to it some-time.

A bit ago, I got burnt out on ARPG's & had to get away from it; since I do and have played TONS of these kind of games, over the years.

Absolutely.

If gamers ever wanted a true gameplay-style sequel to Diablo 2, but instead thrown into a steampunk setting - this is the ticket.

I should go back to it some-time.

A bit ago, I got burnt out on ARPG's & had to get away from it; since I do and have played TONS of these kind of games, over the years.
Torchlight II is a great ARPG. However, if you want a TRUE die-hard sequel to Diablo 2 you need to play Path of Exile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back