The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
With so much drama in the C-A-G, it's kind of hard being cheap like Cheapy D, but somehow, some way, I keep coming up with cheap shit to buy like every single day.

Thoughts on shogun skullgirls?

Daily Deal:

Skulls of the Shogun = 50% off.

1 pack = $7.49

4 pack = $22.49
Skulls of the Shogun impressed way more than I expected. I knew the game got some good reviews but I ignored most of them since I didn't have a Windows 8 machine or an xbox 360. Skulls seems like a natural evolution of the strategy genre in an aesthetically simple yet deceptively complicated manner that gets rid of all the tiles and sub menus I'm normally used to (having been raised on Disgaea, FFT and the like). The game continues to throw new mechanics and objectives at you til the very end, and I found myself laughing at the story and surprise wrinkles in my strategy the whole game. I highly recommend this game at $5... $7.50 is a good price if you're going to play it immediately, but either way this was one of my surprise favorites of the year.

Shad'O... Opinions? I like TD games. Besides defense grid, the best one I've played is Defender's quest (ok, PvZ is a great one too xD). I like them to have a "twist", something unique. DQ is über-addictive!

omg

YOUR MOTHER LUBES UP A BROOMSTICK AND BECOMES INTIMATE WITH IT AND PRETENDS IT'S LOST PLANET CUZ IT'S SO GOOD!!!!!

DAS IT, SCREW YOU GUYS I'M GOING AFK

damn I knew you could masturbate

Master_Splinter.gif

but I ain't never tried to mastersplinter

I play most games on higher difficulties, but it depends on the genre and game. Strategy games I play on lower stuff and work my way up. Starting at middle difficulty levels on a game like Civ IV/V is fucking brutal. Starting at the lowest difficulty, learning how to manage things, and working your way up is much more proactive and fun.

As for shooters, usually put those on max difficulty. I'm not amazing at shooters, but devs seem to love to make the easy difficulties just turn you into a bullet sponge. I'd rather die and learn from my mistakes, rather than run through the room shooting randomly, taking 20 shots to the head, and still winning no problem. That's really no fun. Tomb Raider felt like this to me. Normal is laughably easy. Even hard is pretty damn easy, considering you can boost your health and whatnot with upgrades.

On game that I played on "insanity" difficulty, that I WOULD NOT recommend anyone else to attempt, however, is Mass Effect 2. That shit was unbelievably hard in certain spots, but I did that back when I was an Xbox achievement whore. It was satisfying, but good God was it difficult to beat the game on that.

I'm currently neck-deep in Eador, and I'm only playing on the "skilled" difficulty. Contrary to what it sounds like, it's the second easiest difficulty setting, and it's still pretty damn hard. No matter how many times I kill the opposing lord's heroes, he just rebuilds his armies in a few turns and continues his attack (silly, since resurrecting heroes and rebuilding armies costs a good bit of gold). Now I have three heroes, and since there are three access points to my kingdom, I basically HAVE to keep my heroes on each point. If I don't, and simply leave those provinces "guarded" by AI province guards, the enemy heroes ALWAYS beat them (even though they lose some troops in the process) and I have to reconquer the province. As awesome as this game is, it seems needlessly frustrating on some levels.

It's interesting that they are going back to the top down view again with Divinity: Original Sin after having Divinity 2 be essentially like an Elder Scrolls game.
*sudden divinitygasm*

I'm out for a while.
oqxFe.jpg

Some good advice for all of you is to stop taking internet discussions so seriously. Arguing about opinions online is like choosing which STD you'd rather have. The viewpoint of one 37-year-old/one hipster from Hawaii ( ;)) should have zero impact on your life. If they want to argue meaninglessly regarding your opinion, that's their problem. Be the better person.
Hey now, I may be from Hawaii, but I ain't no hipster. Unless... you also live in Hawaii. *chill goes down spine*

Modern Warfare 2 has a story :error: I guess some games just don't click with me.
I'll actually chime in and say that MW2 did indeed have a pretty solid story. It's the only COD game story that I've ever enjoyed and connected with.

On game that I played on "insanity" difficulty, that I WOULD NOT recommend anyone else to attempt, however, is Mass Effect 2. That shit was unbelievably hard in certain spots, but I did that back when I was an Xbox achievement whore. It was satisfying, but good God was it difficult to beat the game on that.
I avoided Insanity for the longest time out of fear of frustration. After all my playthroughs now, I can say that I actually appreciate ME2's hardest difficulty level. I like the way it makes you change your play style and strategy a bit, unlike ME3 or even ME1's Immunity abusing bullet sponges. Now, because I've played them so much, I can't imagine going back to Hardcore or below. But, for the most part I usually pick one step above whatever the default difficulty is for most of my preferred genre games.

I enjoyed Skulls of the Shogun.  Not a particularly deep strategy game but fun enough to do a campaign map every once in a while.  And while I doubt you'd find many multiplayer matches the single player takes around ten or so hours, more with the free 'DLC' included.

I enjoyed Skulls of the Shogun. Not a particularly deep strategy game but fun enough to do a campaign map every once in a while. And while I doubt you'd find many multiplayer matches the single player takes around ten or so hours, more with the free 'DLC' included.
Who are you and what have you done with Mooby :whistle2:#

On the difficulty level thing.  One thing I liked way back when was how GoldenEye and Perfect Dark handled difficulty settings.  Sure the enemies got a bit more aware and accurate and you took more damage (I think, it's been so long) the biggest thing was there were just many more mission objectives.  The first level went from simply jumping off a dam, to infiltrating the dam and then escaping.  GoldenEye was so far ahead of it's time in single player campaign construction that it's kind of sad that it only really gets remembered for multi-player (which was admittedly awesome).  

Anyway, I can't think of any other games that really do that these days.  Really it's just either more enemies, enemies with improved aim/vision, lower health/supplies and the player deals less damage.  Anyone know of any that I'm just missing?  I would definitely be interested in higher difficulty play throughs if the games gave an appreciably different experience each level.

On the difficulty level thing. One thing I liked way back when was how GoldenEye and Perfect Dark handled difficulty settings. Sure the enemies got a bit more aware and accurate and you took more damage (I think, it's been so long) the biggest thing was there were just many more mission objectives. The first level went from simply jumping off a dam, to infiltrating the dam and then escaping. GoldenEye was so far ahead of it's time in single player campaign construction that it's kind of sad that it only really gets remembered for multi-player (which was admittedly awesome). Anyway, I can't think of any other games that really do that these days. Really it's just either more enemies, enemies with improved aim/vision, lower health/supplies and the player deals less damage. Anyone know of any that I'm just missing? I would definitely be interested in higher difficulty play throughs if the games gave an appreciably different experience each level.
I never was a big Goldeneye fan (I know, burn the nonbeliever), but I totally agree on Perfect Dark. That game was hard as balls, but the added objectives and overall mission structure was amazing.

I almost always play on normal and here's why: I'm old and grouchy.

I don't have the time or patience to master every complex game mechanic each developer dreams up. I play games because I want to enjoy the gameplay, story, and just the overall experience. If I end up feeling like a badass because it's just a tad easy, well I'm okay with that.
+1

I've even been known to play entire games on "easy."

Re: Dragon Age

DA2 isn't actually a terrible game experience; it's just terrible relative to DA:O. If you find it at a sub-$10 price, it's worth playing.

I was pretty happy that the dev was selling steam keys for Skulls of the Shogun for $4.99 at the PAX Prime Indie Megabooth.  Only picked up a single copy, but I'm quite pleased!

DA2 isn't actually a terrible game experience; it's just terrible relative to DA:O. If you find it at a sub-$10 price, it's worth playing.
Me and Merrill agree w/ this. ;)

DAO is a masterpiece and one of the best RPG's ever made, IMHO...

...meanwhile DA2 is just good, even despite its numerous issues.

So all the talk about Dragon Age Origins finally broke me down and I started it up.  I put the DLC key in the bioware website and then I start the game, try and log in, presumably to validate said DLC in game, and it claims I am not connected to the internet.  Set the firewall to allow all connections for DAO, no dice, turn off the firewall entirely, no dice, forward all the ports on the router, put machine in DMZ... nothing.  Anyone run into this before?  Because the game sounds neat but if I'm going to be unable to access some of my content because the game is being stupid about my internet connection that's kind of a major turnoff.

So all the talk about Dragon Age Origins finally broke me down and I started it up. I put the DLC key in the bioware website and then I start the game, try and log in, presumably to validate said DLC in game, and it claims I am not connected to the internet. Set the firewall to allow all connections for DAO, no dice, turn off the firewall entirely, no dice, forward all the ports on the router, put machine in DMZ... nothing. Anyone run into this before? Because the game sounds neat but if I'm going to be unable to access some of my content because the game is being stupid about my internet connection that's kind of a major turnoff.
Do you have the Steam version? I think this is the fix: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680583

So all the talk about Dragon Age Origins finally broke me down and I started it up. I put the DLC key in the bioware website and then I start the game, try and log in, presumably to validate said DLC in game, and it claims I am not connected to the internet. Set the firewall to allow all connections for DAO, no dice, turn off the firewall entirely, no dice, forward all the ports on the router, put machine in DMZ... nothing. Anyone run into this before? Because the game sounds neat but if I'm going to be unable to access some of my content because the game is being stupid about my internet connection that's kind of a major turnoff.
Common DAO Ultimate issue.

Patch it up to 1.05.

1.05 fixes the DAO authorization issue.

If you still have problems after trying that, do this:

1. Go into My Computer/Windows Explorer.

2. Hop into DAO folder.

3. Jump in _INSTALLER sub-folder.

4. Run DAUServiceSetUp.EXE - this INSTALLS the DAUService you need running in the background to authorize the DLC.

5. Run DAO; log-into your BioWare Social account while in-game; check DLC section and see if it got authorized.

EDIT:

Do you have the Steam version? I think this is the fix: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680583
It is more than a Steam-version issue.

It's a DAO Ultimate Ed issue - even from Retail or Origin, too.

(I have it on Steam just to get the key - but activated that key on Origin; and have Origin version installed)

DAO Ultimate Ed NEVER-EVER installs the DAO Updater service (to the Services section of your MSConfig) that you need to have run in background at all times to authorize the DLC.

DAO Ultimate fails to install this, yet DAO base game DOES install this - go figure.

Good job when setting up the what EXE's to install, BioWare. :p

Patch 1.05 supposedly fixes it.

I can't speak on Patch 1.05 fixing it, b/c I had to do it manually back when Patch 1.04 was out.

I installed Patch 1.05 afterwards.

I remember I fixed the issue by just opening a notepad config file and just replacing a bunch of FALSEs with TRUEs.

This vague, relatively unhelpful message was brought to you by Idiotekque©.

Anyway, I can't think of any other games that really do that these days. Really it's just either more enemies, enemies with improved aim/vision, lower health/supplies and the player deals less damage. Anyone know of any that I'm just missing? I would definitely be interested in higher difficulty play throughs if the games gave an appreciably different experience each level.
Something kind of similar is games having different levels of mission success. I'm thinking largely of some Assassin's Creed games where you can succeed at a mission normally or meet certain extra requirements for 100%.

Divine Divinity did have a bit of that Ultima feel to it in terms of top down view large world to wander around in and interact with all sorts of people.

It's interesting that they are going back to the top down view again with Divinity: Original Sin after having Divinity 2 be essentially like an Elder Scrolls game.
Even though Divinity: OS seems to be going more back to the old-school original Divinity roots (going isometric - and even going further old-school by going turn-based), I just don't see Divinity: Original Sin as a "numbered" Divinity game.

Same goes for Divinity: Dragon Commander, as well.

I see these as games that fit in the Divinity universe/world - as side games, more or less, just like Beyond Divinity.

SIDE NOTE: BD is the worst game in the franchise, I think - and that game is actually VERY good, IMHO.

I expect any numbered Divinity game to be a current-style AAA-style RPG game w/ major changes in the franchise that takes YEARS for these guys to make, that maybe a bigger-time publisher will want to fund/publish.

EDIT:

BTW - I think Divinity: OS and Divinity: DC look awesome. :D

I'm so waiting for a good deal on those games.

I <3 Larian.

+1
I've even been known to play entire games on "easy."
Is it narcissistic to quote yourself?

Ironically, DA2 is one of those rare games I'd have considered playing on "hard" because most of the combats were ludicrously easy--throughout the entire game.

Common DAO Ultimate issue <snip>
I remember having problems with this on my retail CE of the base game. At least EA/BioWare figured this out, more or less, by the time Mass Effect 3 came out.

I think Mass Effect 2 was the last game that I played more than twice (Guacamelee is the last game I played twice, and heck, I have trouble playing games even once now). I fell in love with the game early on and beat the game first with a Vanguard on Hard. Then I wanted to try Insanity but was having some trouble with the increased shields/barriers so I used Soldier (ez mode). Next I wanted to try using an Adept on Insanity since most people agreed it was the 2nd hardest class when all enemies have extra shields/barriers, and unlike ME3 I think most biotics and all biotic combos only worked on enemies without shields/barriers. This was much harder but I loved the extra challenge. Finally, I tried my Vanguard again on Insanity and was amazed at how much better I was at the game than my first play through (in which I died many times on Hard difficulty); I guess it's natural when you love a game enough to beat it four times, but I was breezing through Insanity like butter. I tried Sentinel for a while but it bored me and I gave up.

A year or two later, I started the game up to play some of the DLC. The Kasumi DLC kicked my ass because I wasn't used to the game anymore and it forced you to solo the entire DLC... with Vanguard this was a recipe for disaster. I ended up playing all the DLC (my favorite being Shadow Broker) on Normal because I just wanted to enjoy the story before ME3 haha. How the mighty had fallen.

I typically start on whatever the default difficulty is, but lately I've found I enjoy the hard/second hardest setting more in many games. I find that if I stick to normal in shooters especially, it doesn't force me to think outside the box or try different strategies, and as such they often feel overly similar to each other which causes me to burn out pretty quickly. In most other genres though I almost always choose default, and very rarely I will even switch down to easy if a game is just too challenging for me *cough*Megaman 10*cough*. I guess it's on a game by game basis for me, but more often than not I share the mindset of Utopian and Hal and simply like to play through a game without having to experience hundreds and hundreds of deaths (Super Meat Boy is the obvious exception ;) ).
hell yeah, I die on purpose on Super Meat Boy trying to get the most hilarious deaths. On the other hand, I die every 2 seconds on Hotline Miami because well I just suck at it.

Some good advice for all of you is to stop taking internet discussions so seriously. Arguing about opinions online is like choosing which STD you'd rather have. The viewpoint of one 37-year-old/one hipster from Hawaii ( ;)) should have zero impact on your life. If they want to argue meaninglessly regarding your opinion, that's their problem. Be the better person.
Chlamydia, please. :wave:

Hey guys. I just wanted to chime in. Lost Planet sucks.
Sucks-how-you-really-feel.jpg

I almost always play on normal and here's why: I'm old and grouchy.

I don't have the time or patience to master every complex game mechanic each developer dreams up. I play games because I want to enjoy the gameplay, story, and just the overall experience. If I end up feeling like a badass because it's just a tad easy, well I'm okay with that.
5 years ago I would have agreed with you but today...well, today is just a different story entirely as the difficulty setting has been so skewed towards the easy side, to make the games more accessible for the general population, that playing games on difficult now is basically akin to playing them on the normal setting, at least the normal setting we all grew up playing. I for one have seen a significant difference in the normal difficulty setting over the last 4-5 years and I think the reason they did this is because they didn't want to make the general population have to turn down the difficulty, and in so doing make them feel like they were inadequate gamers who couldn't handle the "normal" difficulty setting. Better to have the experienced gamers turn up the difficulty as that is only going to make them feel better about their level of play. Regardless of why they did it, there is a significant difference between the normal difficulty setting from 5 years ago and the normal difficulty setting we are seeing today. There has been a systematic dumbing down of the normal difficulty setting.

Like you, I play games becasue I want to enjoy the gameplay and the story. I have never been an extremely competitive gamer. Hell, the adventure game genre is my favorite genre of games and I very rarely ever played the difficult setting for games. That said, I started noticing a significant difference in the difficulty of games I was playing and a game that is too easy is just as bad as a game that is too hard, at least in my book. Have you even tried the difficult setting with the games your playing? If not, I bet you would be surprised at how NOT difficult it really is. Either way, to each their own. If you find today's difficult setting too difficult then you should stick with normal. Whatever difficulty setting works best for you. I have always played games on normal difficulty but the normal difficulty now is just too easy for me. It winds up negatively effecting my overall game experience.

hell yeah, I die on purpose on Super Meat Boy trying to get the most hilarious deaths. On the other hand, I die every 2 seconds on Hotline Miami because well I just suck at it.
I also died A LOT on Hotline Miami, but the game is so good I came back for more everytime. I really liked that game. I couldn't stop until I finished it

Gaming is about fun, and fun is a relative thing. For me, it's fun for me to be challenged. I feel accomplished when I overcome an obstacle that had a level of difficulty to it. If I just blow through things, the game might as well be one big fetch quest with some clicking and button pushing in between the start menu and ending credits.

I guess I understand about people just being in it for the story and whatnot, but honestly... I'll watch movies for that, personally. I love stories in games, but when they become interactive movies, mechanically, I'm not going to be that interested unless they're superb.

Shifty x5

WJKBT-RH6RC-XH93J-3TJ3B-35963

Also there was a new patch on friday making available (from the black market) Ammo, Backpack, & Bank upgrades.

I also died A LOT on Hotline Miami, but the game is so good I came back for more everytime. I really liked that game. I couldn't stop until I finished it
It was designed for that really. One hit-death but insta-restart.

Gaming is about fun, and fun is a relative thing. For me, it's fun for me to be challenged. I feel accomplished when I overcome an obstacle that had a level of difficulty to it. If I just blow through things, the game might as well be one big fetch quest with some clicking and button pushing in between the start menu and ending credits.
Well, yes, but what you consider somewhat challenging is not what some of us older folk might call somewhat challenging.

Well, yes, but what you consider somewhat challenging is not what some of us older folk might call somewhat challenging.
Well, if easy mode is somewhat challenging to someone, then that still follows the same train of thought that I'm talking about. Like even for me, I'm no good at RTS games (and most tower defense too), so easy/normal is "somewhat challenging" for me, and that's what I'll play it on and enjoy myself.

I just don't quite understand if someone is playing on easy mode when it's not a challenge whatsoever. I do, but I don't.

Generally I figure the game was balanced with "normal" in mind and it should be the most "fair" difficulty and I do my best to stick with it. Even when Spec Ops: The Line was telling me to lower the difficulty for some of those annoying late game shoot outs I stubbornly stuck with the standard difficulty.
What is really annoying is working on your last FUBAR level (the pit) and dying who knows how many times, and being told that again and again. No I do not want to lower the difficulty, I already beat it on the lower hard difficulty.

Which 1?

LP1, 2, or 3?

I still ain't touched LP: EC - Colonies Ed.
I didn't like colonies that much. I never though I would buy LP 2, but I did recently when it was on sale. With the ambiguity of GFWL, I am working through my GFWL backlog and picking up a few things to try to finish quickly. Now if only the Dead Rising 2 and off the record pack would go on sale for $10 again.

Just collected my first set of cards and crafted it. Got a Divekick background, emoticon, badge and a 75% off coupon for Droid Assault. Lol, is the game even good?   

Save up 50-75% on new Week Long Deals on Steam, available now until September 2nd at 10AM Pacific time!

this was posted in the news section today at 13:11 CST, silly Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back