The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed the # of cards and # of games with drops remaining on the Steam badges page. Great add Enhanced Steam!

(Don't tell me if I'm late on this, I've been out of the card game for a couple months)

Just noticed the # of cards and # of games with drops remaining on the Steam badges page. Great add Enhanced Steam!

(Don't tell me if I'm late on this, I've been out of the card game for a couple months)
No, that's a recent addition (though still a few updates back since Shackles has been pumping them out like mad) :)

I'm so glad to hear the overhead tac-cam is back for Dragon Age: Inquisition:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127363-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Brings-Back-Tactical-View-PAX-2013

This time, the tac-cam will be on the PC and consoles.
hmm, I still haven't played any Dragon Age. Maybe the Humble Origin Bundle 2 can help rectify this ;)

No, that's a recent addition (though still a few updates back since Shackles has been pumping them out like mad) :)

hmm, I still haven't played any Dragon Age. Maybe the Humble Origin Bundle 2 can help rectify this ;)
Oh, DAO Ultimate + DA2 in a Humble Origin Bundle would be INSANE.

If you loved BG1 + BG2, I absolutely highly recommend DA:O Ultimate Edition.

DA2 is absolutely nowhere even remotely even close to DAO's level for many, many, many reasons - but, I still liked it.

Oh, DAO Ultimate + DA2 in a Humble Origin Bundle would be INSANE.

If you loved BG1 + BG2, I absolutely highly recommend DA:O Ultimate Edition.

DA2 is absolutely nowhere even remotely even close to DAO's level for many, many, many reasons - but, I still liked it.
Well um...I haven't exactly played those either... :whistle2:(

Well um...I haven't exactly played those either... :whistle2:(
How can I put this in consolese? It's an RPG, only without characters with huge spikey purple hair. ;)

Seriously though, Dragon Age Origins has been on sale cheap a number of times and is an excellent deal considering all the content you get with the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC. Don't expect EA to ever do that again either. Thing is though it's long, like 100 hours+ long so if you don't want to spend that much time in a game right now and/or still have designs on getting through your backlog (good luck!) then it may not be something you want to get and bump to the top of the play list right away.

As for Dragon Age 2, well some people seem to like it and I'll just leave it at that. I've ranted about that game so much that I don't even care anymore. I guess on the positive side for someone coming from the console world it's very consolized. :p

Every time I see anything about the GRID series, I can't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed TOCA and how GRID is supposed to be a continuation of that franchise.

Then I get really mad.

Every time I see anything about the GRID series, I can't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed TOCA and how GRID is supposed to be a continuation of that franchise.

Then I get really mad.
Grab GRID (1) next time you see it cheap (It's been $3.75 a number of times this year, $3 after 20% stacking). I'd advise snapping up Dirt 2 for the same price.

Forum-talk indicates that GRID 2 isn't quite as well loved as GRID 1... so I'm waiting for the totally-effin-complete version (and a healthy sale).

I'd also highly recommend TDU2 currently at it's (repeated) lowest price on Amazon - $5 (though the steam version has been $5 too). Turn off assists and have fun with controller or wheel. The open world map is huge.

How can I put this in consolese? It's an RPG, only without characters with huge spikey purple hair. ;)
LOL! :D Love the short description.

Here's my a bit longer-winded description -- Dragon Age: Origins on the PC is a strategic-style RPG. You have full-control of your party - normally, a party of 4 - and you issues orders; make moral decisions; do quests & things of that sort. You basically have to align a bunch of groups together to stop the Darkspawn from destroying the world.

It is not entirely traditional-fantasy here - it also has that higher dark-fantasy theme going on here.

Seriously though, Dragon Age Origins has been on sale cheap a number of times and is an excellent deal considering all the content you get with the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC. Don't expect EA to ever do that again either. Thing is though it's long, like 100 hours+ long so if you don't want to spend that much time in a game right now and/or still have designs on getting through your backlog (good luck!) then it may not be something you want to get and bump to the top of the play list right away.
100% agreed.

I believe IIRC from Tony's Spreadsheet, Amazon DVG will have DAO Bundle Pack (DAO Ultimate + DA2 base game - both use Origin) for $10 starting tomorrow.

As for Dragon Age 2, well some people seem to like it and I'll just leave it at that. I've ranted about that game so much but I don't even care anymore. I guess on the positive side for someone coming from the console world it's very consolized. :p
DA2 (on the base difficulty) is NOWHERE as strategic as DAO. While I do prefer the technical quality (DX10!) + less generic art style of the graphics of DA2, in just about every other single solitary regard - DA2 is just nowhere even close to being as great as DAO overall. DAO is just a much more epic game, as well - in terms of size and scope. There are more choices and they seem to matter way more often in DAO, as opposed to DA2.

Worst of all, IMHO - the next few things. Too much recycled environments are what really hurt DA2. Many of them are carbon-copies w/ roadblocks moved around in areas. And, this majorly hurts - customization of equipment is MUCH more restrictive in DA2; especially for your party members. Plus, you can only be a human in DA2.

Oh, so not like Kingdom Final Hearts Fantasy XXL? A JRPG without the "j"? Why didn't you say so? :rofl:
Yes that's exactly how it is. ;)

Dragon_Age_Origins___Leliana_by_Lyshantia.png

Dragon_Age_Origins_Morrigan_by_desfunk.png

Though actually, DA2 kind of seemed like a really crappy western attempt at a (newer, not classic) Final Fantasy game to me. :p

doesn't really apply to the pc version probably but with all the Dragon Age talk i figured id ask here: Does anyone know if Dragon age Origins ultimate edition has the same content as dragon age origins + Dragon age origins awakening? I got a copy of DAO durring gamestops 3 for $10 sale and found a new copy of awakening at Toys R Us for $9. Will that have everything the ultimate edition has or did they throw some extra stuff into the ultimate one?

BTW whoever said EA wont ever do a bundle like DAO:UE is right. Im still floored that the supposed collections for Mass Effect they released had absolutely no DLC on them. fuck you EA. Normally i dont sweat it too much but some of those for 2 have some important plot elements. Like Lair of the Shadowbroker.   Bioware has gone to crap since EA got ahold of them. I think Mass effect 1 was the last game they did  before the EA purchase and later the devs leaving. I cant recall if the original founders were still onboard through Dragon Age or not. Its really too bad because they used to be one of my fave devs. KOTOR was my fave xbox 1 game and Mass Effect 1 is my fave 360 game =(

doesn't really apply to the pc version probably but with all the Dragon Age talk i figured id ask here: Does anyone know if Dragon age Origins ultimate edition has the same content as dragon age origins + Dragon age origins awakening?
Nope.

You'd missing probably some of the 9 DLC's, since I think DAO base game only (new copies) came w/ actually 3 of them, IIRC. That might've just been a promo-thing.

And, I'm not even sure if the DLC codes from DAO base game anymore have expiration dates (if you buy the game new) and if DAO base game comes w/ those 3 DLC's in the box anymore.

DAO: Ultimate Edition = DAO base game + Awakening expansion + ALL of the 9 DLC's.

If you got Dragon Age Origins and then the Awakenings expansion separately you have the bulk of the actual content but you are missing the smaller DLC. Some people may disagree but most of it is pretty meh in my opinion. They're all really short and tend to reuse the same areas that the base game and/or Awakenings used. Some of them like the Feastday Gifts DLC are even kind of cheats.

I admit the storage in the Warden's Keep DLC is pretty handy, but overall if you have the base and then expansion I don't think it's worth buying the DLC separately or rebuying the Ultimate Edition personally.

The only important story DLC is The Stone Prisoner, but that's really a day 1 surgically removed from the base game DLC and all (first hand) owners of the original game can get it for free if they register the game with Bioware, or I guess EA now. As long as you didn't buy the game used you should be able to get it.

A list of the DLC is here: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_content_(Origins)

*Edit: All that promotional item DLC EA gave away for free a while back and I think you can still probably get it? you can apparently still get them here. Those items are pretty overpowered and kind of cheats almost though. I personally wouldn't mess with them. *shrug*

If you got Dragon Age Origins and then the Awakenings expansion separately you have the bulk of the actual content but you are missing the smaller DLC. Some people may disagree but most of it is pretty meh in my opinion. They're all really short and tend to reuse the same areas that the base game and/or Awakenings used. Some of them like the Feastday Gifts DLC are even kind of cheats.

I admit the storage in the Warden's Keep DLC is pretty handy, but overall if you have the base and then expansion I don't think it's worth buying the DLC separately or rebuying the Ultimate Edition personally.

The only important story DLC is The Stone Prisoner, but that's really a day 1 surgically removed from the base game DLC and all (first hand) owners of the original game can get it for free if they register the game with Bioware, or I guess EA now. As long as you didn't buy the game used you should be able to get it.

A list of the DLC is here: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_content_(Origins)

*Edit: All that promotional item DLC EA gave away for free a while back and I think you can still probably get it? Those items are pretty overpowered and kind of cheats almost though. I personally wouldn't mess with them. *shrug*
Shale (from Stone Prisoner DLC) is pretty cool, I must say. :D

Have you played Leilana's Song DLC, Warden Keep DLC, and Witch Hunt DLC?

I do have DAO Ultimate - and those are the main DLC's I'd tackle.

Shale (from Stone Prisoner DLC) is pretty cool, I must say. :D

Have you played Leilana's Song DLC, Warden Keep DLC, and Witch Hunt DLC?

I do have DAO Ultimate - and those are the main DLC's I'd tackle.
Yeah I played them all and aside from the Shale one, which everyone gets anyway because EA basically used it as a form of copy protection, and the storage chest in Warden's Keep (which should have gotten added to the base game) I was really unimpressed with them. You don't get anywhere near the amount of content of the base or the expansion and I just didn't really think they were up to the quality of the main game at all. It just felt like 'okay we have to make some DLC so let's just make some' to me.

Witch Hunt in particular I thought was exceedingly lame. They knew everyone wanted to know what happened to Morrigan but you literally just get seconds with her at the very end and they just pad the rest out by trudging you through the same areas you've already been through with some new random party members that no one cares about. As far as I'm concerned you're better off saving yourself the trouble and Youtubing the short convo with Morrigan.

Hmmm, with our backlogs and all - yeah, don't we all... ;)

What about Icewind Dale 1 and 2...?
why do you bother asking :whistle2:(

lol you sure like to keep rubbing it in don't you?

I wasn't trying to say that I'd ONLY pick it up in a dirt cheap bundle, but EA doesn't seem to keen on doing great sales anymore, and with the way they are with Steam now that's another avenue no doubt closed. The length is definitely something that is making me hold off, same as with Fallout. I just hate starting super long games because I feel the need to complete all the games I start. I also dislike playing too many different games at once, so you're probably right that I shouldn't pick it up just yet.

As for Dragon Age 2, well some people seem to like it and I'll just leave it at that. I've ranted about that game so much that I don't even care anymore. I guess on the positive side for someone coming from the console world it's very consolized. :p
The way you describe it makes it sound like EA would be better off calling it Dragon Age Babyz ;)

Grab GRID (1) next time you see it cheap (It's been $3.75 a number of times this year, $3 after 20% stacking). I'd advise snapping up Dirt 2 for the same price.

Forum-talk indicates that GRID 2 isn't quite as well loved as GRID 1... so I'm waiting for the totally-effin-complete version (and a healthy sale).

I'd also highly recommend TDU2 currently at it's (repeated) lowest price on Amazon - $5 (though the steam version has been $5 too). Turn off assists and have fun with controller or wheel. The open world map is huge.
I would have enjoyed GRID much more had it not been labeled with the Race Drive: Grid name. It was fine, as an arcade racer.

As for DIRT, well that was a continuation of the Colin McRae franchise...a series I loved almost as much as TOCA. Dirt 1 was good. Dirt 2 had me spewing Mountain Dew flavored rage out of my pores and throwing things at the television whenever anything X-Games related appeared.

In my eyes, Codemasters have done far more to ruin rock solid franchises than any other company, including what EA/Maxis did post-SimCity 4. They have turned a stable of accessible sim-lite racers into shiny Need for Speed/Burnout wannabees. I understand that arcadey stuff like that probably sells more copies, but I also reserve my right, as an internet complainer, to lament the complete lack of any type of game, from what used to be my absolute favorite developer, that resembles the games that made them my favorite developer.

No arguments about TDU2 though. Much fun out of that franchise, probably because I never expected them to be something other than what they are, unlike <repetive Codemasters bastardization rant snipped>.

edit: feel free to edit out Codemasters and various game names and insert Bioware and related game names to make this post more relevant to the other topic of the day.

Lots of discussion...

Re: arpgs

One of my least favorite genres. Even TLII I don't like too much. I prefer arpgs when they have more involved action elements. Stuff like darksiders.

Re: kickstarters

I don't do them. I prefer being sold an alpha like the early access or igs/desura model where I have something to play/see.

RE: Dragon Age Origins.

It's a spectacular game that I think most people would enjoy. Just get it already.

Better yet, make it the Ultimate Edition because... well just because. While the DLC doesn't add a whole lot, there are a few nuggets of fun to be found if you're just itching for a little more and don't feel like starting the game all over again (which is entirely possible as the choices you make change the game in many ways).

I loved me some Leliana so I was okay with the little bits of story they tossed in that DLC. I thought playing as the enemy in the final battle was amusing, so I enjoyed that one as well.

I would have enjoyed GRID much more had it not been labeled with the Race Drive: Grid name. It was fine, as an arcade racer.

As for DIRT, well that was a continuation of the Colin McRae franchise...a series I loved almost as much as TOCA. Dirt 1 was good. Dirt 2 had me spewing Mountain Dew flavored rage out of my pores and throwing things at the television whenever anything X-Games related appeared.

In my eyes, Codemasters have done far more to ruin rock solid franchises than any other company, including what EA/Maxis did post-SimCity 4. They have turned a stable of accessible sim-lite racers into shiny Need for Speed/Burnout wannabees. I understand that arcadey stuff like that probably sells more copies, but I also reserve my right, as an internet complainer, to lament the complete lack of any type of game, from what used to be my absolute favorite developer, that resembles the games that made them my favorite developer.

No arguments about TDU2 though. Much fun out of that franchise, probably because I never expected them to be something other than what they are, unlike <repetive Codemasters bastardization rant snipped>.

edit: feel free to edit out Codemasters and various game names and insert Bioware and related game names to make this post more relevant to the other topic of the day.
Perspective is such a funny thing. I've never played TOCA and I love GRiD. I didn't play Colin McRae until DiRT and I love the first two of those.

I need to play the GoW games. Just feels like I'm just blindly button smashing when I play most arpgs. Maybe I suck at them.
Well I must be playing them wrong too because all I did in Torchlight 2 was click everywhere until everything died. I'll admit it was great to relax with after work though.

why do you bother asking :whistle2:(

lol you sure like to keep rubbing it in don't you?
Not to rub it in further, and this may be nostalgia talking, but Baldur's Gate 2 is still my favourite RPG of all time. It was so good that I had to pick it up on GOG when they had their summer sale (along with every other D&D title)

Well I must be playing them wrong too because all I did in Torchlight 2 was click everywhere until everything died. I'll admit it was great to relax with after work though.
What difficulty did you play on? Normal difficulty is way too easy in TL1 and TL2. IMO it isn't worth playing on "Normal" unless you don't want any challenge at all.

Not to rub it in further, and this may be nostalgia talking, but Baldur's Gate 2 is still my favourite RPG of all time. It was so good that I had to pick it up on GOG when they had their summer sale (along with every other D&D title)
I meant the console part.

I might pick up Baldur's Gate or it's sequel in one of the next GOG sales. The only problem is when I would actually play it. I'm nothing against older games, but it's kinda hard for me to jump into one when the latest shinny new game is staring me in the face :joystick:

If any regulars want a Warlock: Master of the Arcane or Europa Universalis 3 Complete Steam key for free, shoot me a PM.

If you want to avoid re-downloads, you can back-up most of these files yourself - whether onto DVD discs; BR discs; external hard-drive; and/or internal hard drive; whatever. Up to you.

For GOG games -> just back up your game installer folders & patch files somewhere.

On a reinstall of a game - run EXE file from game installer folder; then run any patches you have.

For Steam games -> Either...

1) Use the Steam back-up utility and copy those game-folder files wherever.

On a reinstall, just run the EXE file in the game-folder; run Steam; and let the game update (if it needs one).

2) OR just back-up your actual game-folder somewhere.

When reinstalling a game, just copy game back to its location in the Steam folder and run Steam program. Verify game's cache, if it won't update.

NOTE: More detailed info here on Steam's website on all of this.

Many prefer to just back-up their actual game-folder.

Steam back-up utility doesn't always work, when reinstalling.

For Origin games published by EA -> For games you download from them, just back-up your actual game folder, wherever you have it installed.

On reinstall - copy game-folder back to where you have Origin games installed; run Origin; game should be on your list; then click Install.

Good advice! Thanks for the heads up!

So weird, I've been looking at this for the past 20 minutes, lol.

This deserves the support so damn much. Fuuuuck Capcom, yo.
While I really have no interest in the game, I try and back as many gaming related Kickstarter campaigns as I can as each game that gets made through Kickstarter is just one more blow to the standard publisher/developer system of making games, which has been strangling developers for FAR too long. Long live Kickstarter!!!

If any regulars want a Warlock: Master of the Arcane or Europa Universalis 3 Complete Steam key for free, shoot me a PM.
Kudos to specifying "regulars"... we should take care of our own and speak negatively about the lurkers who cannot defend themselves. :joystick:

RE: Dragon Age Origins.

It's a spectacular game that I think most people would enjoy. Just get it already.

Better yet, make it the Ultimate Edition because... well just because. While the DLC doesn't add a whole lot, there are a few nuggets of fun to be found if you're just itching for a little more and don't feel like starting the game all over again (which is entirely possible as the choices you make change the game in many ways).

I loved me some Leliana so I was okay with the little bits of story they tossed in that DLC. I thought playing as the enemy in the final battle was amusing, so I enjoyed that one as well.
DAO has so much content - yeah, if anybody buys that, they probably should just go w/ Ultimate to get it all. I spent like 105 hours w/ DAO and around another 30 hours w/ Awakening.

Since we're on the DA discussion...

Here's 3 parts of Dragon Age: Inquisition footage:

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate is one of the best RPGs I have ever played in my life. I think I got like 130+ hours in with the expansion. If anyone is on the fence please buy it for your own sake. Do not bother with Dragon Age 2 as it shits on the legacy of the first game -_- (You stay in one town/area the whole fucking game and you will notice very quickly all the dungeon areas are copy pasted. That whole game reaks of ohh shit lets cash in and shit out this bastard sequel ASAP.)

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate is one of the best RPGs I have ever played in my life. I think I got like 130+ hours in with the expansion. If anyone is on the fence please buy it for your own sake.
Can't argue w/ this.

EDIT:

DA:O is phenomenal, highly recommended. Though I may be a bit biased since I'm a mod developer.
Metacritic (91 score) and PC gamers are on the same page w/ DAO, I think... ;)

Me too. Let me say though that I think DAO is a good game. Its just I was disappointed in the RPG elements, and few other areas. A number of places characters would react with the same dialogue to any of your responses. I rather have less spoken dialogue and more realistic reaction. This is especially disappointing when that dialogue adds to the game's 30 gigs (a big pain to download on Origin).

I was also disappointed in the battle system, but that probably is just because I prefer the great variety of spells, effects, etc of D&D.

Finally, I felt they tried too hard to make it "adult". It might have just been a carryover from the marketing, but the focus on sex and violence approached almost comedic levels. Its not that I have a problem with either, I think Bioware handled this type of stuff better in Mass Effect. The world in DAO, while being well fleshed out, wasn't interesting to me. It was standard high fantasy with not a lot of original elements. The story itself was okay.

When it comes to recent RPGs that stick in my mind, I personally found the setting, ambiance and story of the Witcher 1 more interesting, and for all its flaws, the RPG elements of Alpha Protocol much more interesting.

But as I said I think DAO is a good game. Most of my problems are probably just too high of expectations. It just didn't grip me enough to have played Awakening yet, especially since I just installed the Baldur's Gate: Reloaded mod for NWN2. ;)

It might have just been a carryover from the marketing, but the focus on sex and violence approached almost comedic levels.
Eh? The game is definitely violent and graphic (though many games have much, much worse gore), but sex? I wouldn't call sex a focus at all. At the very most, that brothel place was kind of just a joke and a ridiculously tiny part of the game. The sex at the end of character romances is a simple fade-to-black, more or less, and honestly it fits well into the game without being graphic at all.

To call that a "focus on sex" seems like huge exaggeration to me.

Eh? The game is definitely violent and graphic (though many games have much, much worse gore), but sex? I wouldn't call sex a focus at all. At the very most, that brothel place was kind of just a joke and a ridiculously tiny part of the game. The sex at the end of character romances is a simple fade-to-black, more or less, and honestly it fits well into the game without being graphic at all.

Yeah, "focus" might not be the best word for the game itself (especially compared to say the Witcher), I just found portions of it funny. Probably what my problem is, is I didn't really like most of the characters, so that romance seemed blah just for the sake of it.

DA:O is amazing. I will leave it at that.

DA 2 is like taking a well crafted burger but replacing the meat with a patty made of crap.

The more I hear about Dragon Age 3, the more I become cautiously optimistic. After DA2, ME3, and TOR, my thougs of Bioware have become pretty much hatred for ruining franchises. DA 3 might be their saving point though.

Also I am a whore for Megaman. I immediately backed the kickstarter for Mighty 9 and have been excited ever since. Megaman is one of my favorite franchises.

bioware has been awful since ME2 

i have no faith in them anymore. A lot of the talent left for other studios.

If anything I would almost say it's sort of Waifu-ism (or I guess hazubando-ism if you go for the men).

Pretty much.

I'm not buying the 'we've learned our lesson and are going back to what made the game great' spiel either. EA claimed that in the 90s with Ultima which was excellent before they came along and turned it into a dumbed down action game with Ultima 8, then they pulled the 'we've learned our lesson yadda yadda' but they couldn't resist meddling and Ultima 9 still sucked.

Also this Bioware quite literally is not the same Bioware that made DA:O or all the games that came before it great.

Sorry but when it comes to the new Bioware I am also
photo-thumb-200695.jpg

Not only that, they can't even program their games. I don't know if they fixed TOR but when I first got into TOR at launch the game was so poorly optimized it just eat up everything my PC gave it (I have a core i5 so it shouldn't just max it out 100% all the time with TOR being the only thing running).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back