The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
probably a stupid question.  what's the difference between rising storm/ red orchestra 2 multiplayer and rising storm?  I have rising storm/ red orchestra 2 multiplayer in my library but rising storm (3.75 in the 4 pack) according to the steam store I don't have.   I bought rising storm but don't want to activate it if they are the same. 

never mind, figured it out

Am I one of the few that enjoyed the hell out of Dead Island: GOTY here?

I still think it's the best zombie-game out there, even despite its issues (the story & characters never lived-up to the original amazing slow-mo backwards trailer; gunplay isn't spectacular; game has some technical glitches & issues). A great flawed gem, if you ask me - just like the original Borderlands.
I enjoyed the hell out of Dead Island GOTY as well. I picked it up last Fall and plugged 51 hours into it apparently (wow, that's more than I would have guessed). I found the co-op feature to be pretty good although I mainly played solo. The zombie smashing, weapon wielding, and fairly open maps were very satisfying in my opinion. It had quirks sure, but unless there are large bugs/issues/save file corruption then I tend to over look the small stuff.

I played Dead Island right after Borderlands GOTY which I also loved immensely. Good times.

Gotta say, Dead Island definitely is not a game for everyone. I found it intensely dull and boring (no story, gameplay meh) and I really did want to enjoy it since I picked it up on sale on the recommendations of some friends who really liked it.

I tried it again recently and just didn't like it at all. Went straight back to playing FTL and the Walking Dead lol. 

Edit: On the other hand, some of my friends really enjoyed it. They even picked up DI: Riptide on release... and then declared it the worst piece of crap sequel they've ever played

I loved Castlevania games on NES, SNES and Genesis. Symphony seems to be great (never played it, SNES and Genesis were my last consoles).
Dude...you never played Symphony? I highly recommend you drop whatever else you're doing and rectify that ASAP. Especially since you like CV music - this has some of the best in the series. Not to mention the game itself is one of the best Metroidvanias ever made.

I haven't played it in years, but I imagine that one could emulate it on the PC with some kind of hi-res filter to make the graphics a little less pixely. In fact, I think the last time I played it it was on the PC through Bleem or PSXEmu or one of those. I'd bet it's held up very well.

You might also want to check out some of the Gameboy CVs; those were pretty good too, although Symphony remains the peak of the series, IMHO.

probably a stupid question. what's the difference between rising storm/ red orchestra 2 multiplayer and rising storm? I have rising storm/ red orchestra 2 multiplayer in my library but rising storm (3.75 in the 4 pack) according to the steam store I don't have. I bought rising storm but don't want to activate it if they are the same.

never mind, figured it out
The version you have is from Red Orchestra 2...Rising Storm is an "free" expansion to RO2. You get all the maps, play on the same servers, but you only get to play as the Rifleman class.

I had to google it, because confusion.

The version you have is from Red Orchestra 2...Rising Storm is an "free" expansion to RO2. You get all the maps, play on the same servers, but you only get to play as the Rifleman class.

I had to google it, because confusion.
I did too lol, found the answer on the steam forums. I felt stupid for a minute because I thought I had bought a game I already had that I didn't remember ever buying.

ok, back to idling for cards

as much fun as

i__d_rather_watch_paint_dry_by_springz10-d2zxnd8.jpg

Dead Island is far from perfect, but I really enjoyed it. I want Riptide but I don't know what I'd pay for it since it sounds like more of the same. It'd have to be under $10, closer to like $5-6.

Damn, just bought DI during the SS from GG.

Not only can I not buy indie games without fear of them being bundled now I can't buy AAA titles without that same fear.
This! Damn. >.< Probably tossing a buck in for Risen 2 (thankfully I passed that up recently) and a steam copy of Sacred 2 Gold. (own drm-free).

40185648.jpg

Dude...you never played Symphony? I highly recommend you drop whatever else you're doing and rectify that ASAP. Especially since you like CV music - this has some of the best in the series. Not to mention the game itself is one of the best Metroidvanias ever made.

I haven't played it in years, but I imagine that one could emulate it on the PC with some kind of hi-res filter to make the graphics a little less pixely. In fact, I think the last time I played it it was on the PC through Bleem or PSXEmu or one of those. I'd bet it's held up very well.

You might also want to check out some of the Gameboy CVs; those were pretty good too, although Symphony remains the peak of the series, IMHO.

yea, probably my favorite soundtrack in a videogame

I have virtually all of those bundled games, but I would pay a few cents for Saints Row 2 if they'd issue steam keys under $1.

I don't feel too bad about paying nearly full price for Dead Island and Saints Row 3 cause I got my money's worth and didn't have to wait, but I feel a bit shitty about buying the SR3 season pass when I could have had all the DLC from the super duper edition for under $5 from there. That's the name of the game I guess.

Aria of Sorrow was a really good one.. i actually liked it a bit more than SotN. i felt like it had a little more story than your average CV game, and the ability system was cool. awesome ending too.

Ya, I opened an FTL booster and in disbelief it was 3 stealth cruisers, I didn't think boosters could have duplicates, I haven't opened a booster since. It's better to sell it off and buy the cards you want.

Am I one of the few that enjoyed the hell out of Dead Island: GOTY here?

I still think it's the best zombie-game out there, even despite its issues (the story & characters never lived-up to the original amazing slow-mo backwards trailer; gunplay isn't spectacular; game has some technical glitches & issues). A great flawed gem, if you ask me - just like the original Borderlands.
Yeah, like you, I'm one of the one's on the other side of the fence that loved DI. It had just the right combination of gameplay elements that I find personally addictive to completely overlook the story and sameyness of side quests. I never thought of likening it to BL1, but yeah, that fits. First person combat, random loot drops, upgrade system...MMmmm, yummy. I'll probably throw DI back up in early October, before I pick up DI:R. I have probably 150 hours between PC and console...still not bored of it.

Ya, I opened an FTL booster and in disbelief it was 3 stealth cruisers, I didn't think boosters could have duplicates, I haven't opened a booster since. It's better to sell it off and buy the cards you want.
I've only gotten one booster so far, for Sleeping Dogs, and it was three Family cards. Maybe most booster packs consist of duplicates.

I am lucky I did not buy Risen 2 during the SS. Was debating it but I decided for the $2.50 Risen. Now I own Risen 2, Sacred 2, SR 3 DLC and Dead Island DLC for $5.

I don't care if Humble has AAA games in bundles. As long as Humble still keeps the idea of giving you the best quality games (well at least most of the time).

I think DI is better played with a friend; at least that's how I did it (on 360).  Running solo through that big world would probably get dull.  Nothing like having your friend cut off a Thug's arm after you've smashed all the bones with your electrified sledgehammer.

The weapon crafting in that game is super cool, as is the inventory management (I KNOW WHAT).  Kind of looking forward to screwing around with it on PC.

I own almost all castlevania soundtracks, even the wii one (I forgot my kids own that game on their wii). Even have the tribute ones (Dracula perfect battle is awesome, and the One Ups and House the Crate versions too)

But to play symphony I need to get a PS one CD game... Will search for it on ebay

I own almost all castlevania soundtracks, even the wii one (I forgot my kids own that game on their wii). Even have the tribute ones (Dracula perfect battle is awesome, and the One Ups and House the Crate versions too)

But to play symphony I need to get a PS one CD game... Will search for it on ebay
Do it man! I feel bad for you you've been missing it all these years. You might also want to look into Rondo of Blood. A neutered version of that was available for the SNES as Dracula X, which doesn't really compare to the original PCE version. It was both the true successor to the 8-bit games and precursor to Symphony, and when I played it post-Symphony it was a revelation. Konami basically took its art assets, which hadn't seen widespread release outside Japan, and then just reused them for Symphony, so the two share a similar look if somewhat different gameplay. It also has more of the classic music. It sounds like it is available for download as Wiiware these days; not sure which version it is.

Aria of Sorrow was a really good one.. i actually liked it a bit more than SotN. i felt like it had a little more story than your average CV game, and the ability system was cool. awesome ending too.
I played all the GBA CVs, and by Aria of Sorrow I felt the formula was getting a little stale, although it was still better than Harmony of Dissonance (worst title ever!). My favorite was actually Circle of the Moon, though I know I'm somewhat in the minority on that one. I remember thinking at the time that was the only one that felt like it was trying to do something really new.

Am I correct that the much-reviled Bloodsucker Pack is *not* part of the Saints Row the Third: Complete Package that's in the current Humble Bundle?  I don't see it in the Complete Package list on Steam.

Am I correct that the much-reviled Bloodsucker Pack is *not* part of the Saints Row the Third: Complete Package that's in the current Humble Bundle? I don't see it in the Complete Package list on Steam.
No. The 2 "bad" DLCs are not included. At least I didn't see them

No. The 2 "bad" DLCs are not included. At least I didn't see them
That's correct; this contains these DLCs: Shark Attack Pack, Z Style Pack, The Trouble With Clones, Genkibowl VII, Gangstas in Space, Penthouse Pack, Invincible Pack, Genki Girl Pack, Funtime! Pack, Explosive Combat Pack, Special Ops Vehicle Pack, Moneyshot Pack, Steelport Gangs Pack, Witches and Wieners, Warrior Pack, Nyte Blayde Pack, Horror Pack.

Personally, I bought a la carte all the SR3 DLC I have any interest in aside from the Season Pass content.

I will say that I don't mind at all these big Humble bundles. I think this one is a fantastic bargain for folks that don't have even two of the main offerings (and $5 for Risen 2, Sacred 2 Gold, Dead Island, and SR3 + DLC is a great value--I paid $5 just for Sacred 2 Gold on sale at Gamersgate earlier this year). Because as CAGs we're likely to have scavenged most of these things on the cheap elsewhere, most of us already have everything we're interested in here (except maybe Riptide, and this isn't a terribly good price for it). I tossed in a buck just for the soundtracks.

I bought the bundle, even though I literally own everything in it...  I even BTA... I don't know why.  I rationalized it with saying "well SR3 DLC" but really wtf Izod.  At least the bonus games will give me Risen 1.

I bought the bundle, even though I literally own everything in it... I even BTA... I don't know why. I rationalized it with saying "well SR3 DLC" but really wtf Izod. At least the bonus games will give me Risen 1.
Looks like baby mcdickface goes hungry this week

if you have a vita or PSP there's a great port of rondo of blood that comes with symphony of the night as an unlockable

it's aged well, i just beat it again last year

THe Castlevania demo is working now... having beat the game on the 360 it runs damn good on the PC. Looks like Konami didn't botch the port. I look forward to re-buying it during a Steam sale.
I installed the demo, it plays very similar do Devil May Cry IV... is that a fair assessment of the whole game?

Patricians and Merchants box is back on sale over at Indiegala for $.99.

Patrician III is a solid trading/economic sim, still one of my all-time favorites. Highly recommended if you have any interest in German econgames (Anno, Settlers, Port Royale, etc). Plus, you get 2 other games with it (comes as one key).

I might grab this for TGAR (reminds me of Chocolatier which I really liked). I already have Patrician IV from a groupees bundle, so is there any reason to play III?

Wow, I thought mine was a fluke. I did the same. But then in the next pack I pulled 2 foils. SOOOOOO.... the Steam gods have a sense of humor.

if you have a vita or PSP there's a great port of rondo of blood that comes with symphony of the night as an unlockable

it's aged well, i just beat it again last year
Even BETTER... if you buy Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles... I believe you get an updated graphics version of Rondo AND SOTN. :p (including better voice acting updates...)

Patricians and Merchants box is back on sale over at Indiegala for $.99.

Patrician III is a solid trading/economic sim, still one of my all-time favorites. Highly recommended if you have any interest in German econgames (Anno, Settlers, Port Royale, etc). Plus, you get 2 other games with it (comes as one key).
Muchas gracias Señor. I've had my eye on this for a while and had planned to pick it up during the summer sale, but it slipped my mind. Good thing it did, because I'm sure I would have ended up paying more than $0.99 for it.

Muchas gracias senor. I've had my eye on this for a while and had planned to pick it up during the summer sale, but it slipped my mind. Good thing it did, because I'm sure I would have ended up paying more than $0.99 for it.
Apparently they were int he Strat First pack JakeNome sold during the Winter Sale, so FYI in case anyone bought that.

Apparently they were int he Strat First pack JakeNome sold during the Winter Sale, so FYI in case anyone bought that.
I passed on the Strategy First pack, so no worries for me. But I know a lot of other CAGs bought one of those packs and I'm sure they'll appreciate the head's up.

I might grab this for TGAR (reminds me of Chocolatier which I really liked). I already have Patrician IV from a groupees bundle, so is there any reason to play III?
I did not like Patrician IV at all. The Econ genre reached its peak around 2005, and most sequels took on a lighter sim aspect in exhange for improved 3Dish graphics, and in doing so most successive games felt more shallow than their predecessors.

Sim City, Settlers, Port Royale, Patrician...all of these franchises removed incredible depth and micromanagement in favor of making things more streamlined and pretty. Specifically to Patrician, your options are much more "tree" oriented and limited in IV (to accomplish X, you must first build Y and Z, making all your settlements virtual clones of each other), whereas in III, if you gots the money you can do build it. Plus, I found the sea combat to be more tactical and satisfying in III.

Patricians and Merchants has been cheap on Steam, too, and 3 games for less than $2 is hard to pass up. This is the lowest they've been on Galastore, however; the bundle was $1.85 this past winter.

Today's deal is Frozen Synapse at 80% off ($4.99)

The game is only sold as a 2-pack, so you'll get a second copy in your inventory, but that doesn't matter because you probably already have it from a bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back