CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
One Year Game Buying Sabbatical Update

Days until I can buy a game: 354

New Games played: 1

Games completed: 1

Far Cry 3 mini-review: As would be expected from a Far Cry game, the graphics are top notch. Sound effects and voice acting were good, I liked the selection of weapons and how they handled, and world in general was fairly interesting. Being an open world game could have added a lot, but there was a decent amount of repetition. Positively hated the plot and the main character, and all the stupid QTEs. The various ways to get stealth kills are a riot, but stealth in general is grossly overpowered as it requires hardly any skill to accomplish. The crafting system turned out to be a joke, and seemed like it was tacked on in order to create a marketing bullet point.

The worst part was that I started the game thinking I was going to be that badass on the cover with the Mohawk and dual pistols. Playing as a preppy emo who whines and cries the whole game was annoying as fuck, compounded by friends who whine like bitches as well. By the end all I wanted to do was kill my friends, the pirates, the natives and then myself. Oh, and having to climb a tower to turn off a 'jammer' to reveal the map was probably the stupidest game mechanic I have seen in a long time, especially since I had c4 and mines all the time. Shoulda done it like Just Cause 2.

Grade: C
What are you gonna do when this sabbatical is over? Are you just gonna buy all the games you would've bought this year anyway?

One Year Game Buying Sabbatical Update

Days until I can buy a game: 354

New Games played: 1

Games completed: 1

Far Cry 3 mini-review: As would be expected from a Far Cry game, the graphics are top notch. Sound effects and voice acting were good, I liked the selection of weapons and how they handled, and world in general was fairly interesting. Being an open world game could have added a lot, but there was a decent amount of repetition. Positively hated the plot and the main character, and all the stupid QTEs. The various ways to get stealth kills are a riot, but stealth in general is grossly overpowered as it requires hardly any skill to accomplish. The crafting system turned out to be a joke, and seemed like it was tacked on in order to create a marketing bullet point.

The worst part was that I started the game thinking I was going to be that badass on the cover with the Mohawk and dual pistols. Playing as a preppy emo who whines and cries the whole game was annoying as fuck, compounded by friends who whine like bitches as well. By the end all I wanted to do was kill my friends, the pirates, the natives and then myself. Oh, and having to climb a tower to turn off a 'jammer' to reveal the map was probably the stupidest game mechanic I have seen in a long time, especially since I had c4 and mines all the time. Shoulda done it like Just Cause 2.

Grade: C
The radio-tower reveal thing is the same mechanic as Assassin's Creed.

The thing that it took me a while to catch on to is how dumb the outpost-bad guys are... they don't panic and hit the alarm, like I was expecting when they find a dead buddy or see their buddy's head explode like a blood sausage in from of them. I was expecting better... more like Hitman Abs.

Yeah, I don't find myself siding with the pretty boy or his friends. The opening sequence makes me side with Vaas.

My goal this year is to try and not buy new launch games unless I can grab them for cheap (JRPGs Excluded because of rarity/special editions). I got Thief 4 for $30 so it's a good start. I really can't wait for Thief 4, just because I love Stealth games and well it's made by the guys who did Deus Ex HR and I love the hell out of Deus Ex HR.

My goal this year is to try and not buy new launch games unless I can grab them for cheap (JRPGs Excluded because of rarity/special editions). I got Thief 4 for $30 so it's a good start. I really can't wait for Thief 4, just because I love Stealth games and well it's made by the guys who did Deus Ex HR and I love the hell out of Deus Ex HR.
I only buy launch games if I REALLY want them. The only games I've pre ordered have been Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3. Dark Souls 2 will be the third.

I only buy launch games if I REALLY want them. The only games I've pre ordered have been Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3. Dark Souls 2 will be the third.
meh i only preordere two games acm not the worst i play right theree and then mll tho was supp0ose to preordeer from target but canceled and since then target lost me as customer with no compeestion

The thing that it took me a while to catch on to is how dumb the outpost-bad guys are... they don't panic and hit the alarm, like I was expecting when they find a dead buddy or see their buddy's head explode like a blood sausage in from of them.
Huh, I remember the opposite. Seeing someone die or stumbling over a body would give them the "What the hell!"s and send them towards the alarm. I haven't played in months though so you probably remember better than I. I'd give it well better than a C, more like a B+, but to each their own.

It's better than the base game but that's essentially like putting a hat on a turd.
Mr_hankey_the_xmas_poo.jpg

Huh, I remember the opposite. Seeing someone die or stumbling over a body would give them the "What the hell!"s and send them towards the alarm. I haven't played in months though so you probably remember better than I. I'd give it well better than a C, more like a B+, but to each their own.
I've been playing it off and on over the last few months and I'm with Mr Error. If they see a dead body, all hell breaks loose.

As a game to play in small doses I think it's excellent. If you're planning to burn through it I could see why you're not as enamoured.

Definite B+ from me so far.

I wasn't agreeing with the C.... B+ seems more about right...

If you're in the vicinity of the dead body... (and boy can they spot bodies out of their line of sight), then they run for the alarm without needing to spot you... If you snipe from a distance the most response you'll get is they leave the outpost to hunt you down.

I was/am pretty set on taking outposts undetected (and I just finally got chain-takedown) I was doing a lot of up-close-and-personal treatment, but my inability to hide bodies well enough escalated that into either protracted rock-throwing then stabby-stabby, or stealth lightning taking down everyone quick enough -quietly- before they could spot the bodies. I then decided to see how many I could eliminate from a distance with silenced M700 sniper rifle to thin the ranks before going all stealth-stabby on them. It was then that I discovered that it is fairly simple to silence-sniper a whole outpost while only needing to move sniper nests a few time.

Been repartitioning all my HDDs since Friday, have I missed any deals? I should grab that Burnout DLC from Amazon I guess.
Might as well grab it even if you don't activate it right away, imo. I doubt it's going to get cheaper on it's own, and if it gets bundled.... well I don't need yet another copy of BP.

Ah yeah, if you're low on coupons... see the $13 NFS Rivals in the Amazon thread? (Also $5 BSI)
I saw Bioshock and shed a tear, I learned Portuguese to buy it for $7 a couple weeks ago.

Is Rivals any good? I skimmed a review or something and was turned off but I don't remember why. I think I read the IGN review. Oh yeah I was turned off cause it sounded more like Hot Pursuit which I didn't like. No exploration.

I saw Bioshock and shed a tear, I learned Portuguese to buy it for $7 a couple weeks ago.

Is Rivals any good? I skimmed a review or something and was turned off but I don't remember why. I think I read the IGN review. Oh yeah I was turned off cause it sounded more like Hot Pursuit which I didn't like. No exploration.
I can't say yet. Ask again in the near future.

Ah yeah, if you're low on coupons... see the $13 NFS Rivals in the Amazon thread? (Also $5 BSI)
Did you buy NFS: Rivals for $13.xx, Ashes?

EDIT:

I can't say yet. Ask again in the near future.
I'mma wait - still need to buy NFS: MW 2012 ALL DLC Pack...and play the hell out of that.

EDIT 2:

Might as well grab it even if you don't activate it right away, imo. I doubt it's going to get cheaper on it's own, and if it gets bundled.... well I don't need yet another copy of BP.
Yeah, I probably should pick up the BO Paradise DLC - and backlog it until I finish the SP.

I played Most Wanted for 26 hours but I think I'm getting tired of it. I'll pass on Rivals, doesn't sound like my kind of game. If they make another one like Most Wanted or Paradise I'll buy that.

If you're worried about running into the 200 sale limit cap (ie, don't want to input your SSN onto Steam) sell it as a pack.  If you've already done it... might as well see if you get foils.

Yes. I'd wager a whole game for $13 is better value than DLC for $7.
Wow - looked at IsThereAnyDeal - $18.xx from Amazon DVG is cheapest for this by a MILE.

It'd be 13.xx after $5 EC and coupon.

Are there lots of DLC out currently and coming for this NFS Rivals game?

It's better than the base game but that's essentially like putting a hat on a turd. Sure it's better because it's a turd with a hat on it, but it's still a turd at the end of the day.
Exactly what makes it so bad? It's better than Prey and quite a few other games that have been discussed in the past few months. Halo 4 has over shields (Ego) and takes away all your shit after every level. COD doesn't have destructible environments. The game isn't actually that bad; it can even be fun in certain places, with various mini games and gameplay styles to change pacing. It's just common ground for elitist FPS snobs to shit on because it's not a tactical douchefest like the BF series. People only say it's a turd because of the power of influence those types of reviewers and vloggers have, despite the fact that it's more enjoyable than most of the Tom Clancy franchise, and despite the fact that there are much shittier games (Ride to Hell, Garry's Incident) out there. It's fucking Duke Nukem, not a squad-based, multiplayer Counterstrike clone.

Wow - looked at IsThereAnyDeal - $18.xx from Amazon DVG is cheapest for this by a MILE.

It'd be 13.xx after $5 EC and coupon.

Are there lots of DLC out currently and coming for this NFS Rivals game?
mysterd i saw u r ugly gf wrsltler brought to u by sunasun heh on gmg

If you're worried about running into the 200 sale limit cap (ie, don't want to input your SSN onto Steam) sell it as a pack. If you've already done it... might as well see if you get foils.
Can you change that sombrero for a tin foil hat please. I was under the impression that Mooby wasn't afraid to stick it to The Man.

I was grossly mistaken.

:nottalking:

But, but, but... there could be foil(s) in there, no?

Um, no. Probably I won't.
I've never gotten a foil from a booster pack, I know some people have had more luck though. What you should do really depends on the difference in cost compared to the individual cards. If the booster is worth like 20+ cents more than the total cost of the individual cards.. don't open it. If it's 5-10 cents more, you're not losing much by opening it.

[quote name="pasports31" post="11475402" timestamp="1390778915"]Guess your hopes were foiled

lolololol

sorry.[/quote]

I couldn't have said that better myself. Touché. Lol

I got a foil from a booster at least once, maybe two times. But I still don't open em if I can sell the pack for more than the individual cards. There's less than 1% chance you'll get a foil, not worth it.

I've never gotten a foil from a booster pack, I know some people have had more luck though. What you should do really depends on the difference in cost compared to the individual cards. If the booster is worth like 20+ cents more than the total cost of the individual cards.. don't open it. If it's 5-10 cents more, you're not losing much by opening it.
After Valve's "cut" there was less than 0.10 difference. Not a huge loss, considering I've, so far, already reaped nearly $80 from selling these things.

And to Mooby, I've already given Valve/Steam quite a bit of money, my social, my bank account #, my phone # and address, a lock of my hair, and a picture of me posing provocatively with little to no clothing on.

Exactly what makes it so bad? It's better than Prey and quite a few other games that have been discussed in the past few months. Halo 4 has over shields (Ego) and takes away all your shit after every level. COD doesn't have destructible environments. The game isn't actually that bad; it can even be fun in certain places, with various mini games and gameplay styles to change pacing. It's just common ground for elitist FPS snobs to shit on because it's not a tactical douchefest like the BF series. People only say it's a turd because of the power of influence those types of reviewers and vloggers have, despite the fact that it's more enjoyable than most of the Tom Clancy franchise, and despite the fact that there are much shittier games (Ride to Hell, Garry's Incident) out there. It's fucking Duke Nukem, not a squad-based, multiplayer Counterstrike clone.
I think the thing for me is it took over 10 years to release the game and well it wasn't anything special. I mean I love Duke, don't get me wrong but the only reason I kept interest in the game was there was so much Duke. I think the whole idea of Duke was represented well and that was good with all the minigames, huge bosses, etc to change pace, but if Duke was out, I feel it would just drop to a level of generic blandness. Although I do agree that DNF is better than the 18,000,000 every hallway hide behind wall fest being released today.

Also I find it hard to recommend Duke when Serious Sam 3 or even Borderlands/2 is there and way better.

Are the Sanctum 2 DLC any good??
Sort of wondering this myself since it's sub $2 for all of it but... I got tired of Sanctum 1 fairly fast and the demo of the first didn't impress me. It's like a more boring version of Orcs Must Die.

Re: Duke Nukem Forever... people are seriously considering that? Got it last year... (year before?) for $1 during Amazon's holiday promo. It's just a bad game. The shooting is... okay... but the four gun limit and being broken up by a bunch of awful driving and physics puzzle sections ruins it. The toilet humor is just not Duke. It's like a five year old's interpretation of Duke. The game is not worth $5. Not even fake Gabe money. Like Frag says you're better off with Serious Sam 3 which frequently dips to that price, too.

Come on, there's no way it was better than Prey.

Duke Nukem Forever would have been a great game........... in 2002-2004. After that, I have a hard time even considering that with the games that hit the market since 2005, that DNF would have been could have competed even then.

Just got back from skiing... didn't die.

bwU4r.gif

I'll never play a Winter Olympics game the same way anymore, and recommend all CAGs stay around the comfort of their cushiony backlogs at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back