CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:

Isn't having the best price the only point of a sale? So if they don't, it's basically a failure? This isn't a brick and mortar where they can count on lazy people not wanting to drive to another store or wait in line elsewhere. I can just go to another URL just as easily.
Depends. From Valve's perspective, the point of a sale is to generate dollars. Price versus volume.

From a consumer perspective, it's about hitting those pleasure centers in the brain. Getting the rock-bottom price is important to some. Having a good experience and feeling "good enough" is enough for others.

Many of us here obviously fall into the former category, rather than the latter, but not everyone feels this way. Lots of people can't be bothered to scour the 'net or virtually "drive" to another storefront. Also, don't discount the importance of familiarity (branding) with the Steam store and things like the Steam Wallet and Trading Card money.

And how many people does it need to fail in the "me factor" before it starts being a more general failure?

That was kind of just my attempt at humorous commentary. Don't read too much into it.

We all have the Me Factor happening. For some it is more often than others.

WHO?? Tell me who these people are so that we can drive them out! :twoguns: :boxing:
Kill-Infidels.jpg

All this chatter about weak sales...how about something for free?  I'm going to switch things up and have a guessing game.  

Those that are involved in Late Night with tebow are unfortunately excluded as they may already know the answer.
Please only guess if you can use all or most of the gift.

Question: What primary ethnicity/ethnicities am I? (Sorry, changed to use the proper terminology. 8-[  )

Reward: Valve Complete Pack (Steam Key)

Gone.

It isn't any mystery here.  The stores that offer the biggest discounts are the ones that are fighting for customers.  Those stores that don't fight for customers like that don't need to put on as big of a show.  It is like people on this board getting disappointed at Amazon's video game gold boxes.  Amazon didn't feel like they needed to blow away our crowd to get the business, because they already had it for the most part.  The smaller discounts still attracted people and still makes them money.

Same goes with Steam.  Valve has the customer base already, and further discounts won't grow their customer base all that much.  Meanwhile, Amazon and GMG are trying to grow their piece of the pie.

All this chatter about weak sales...how about something for free? I'm going to switch things up and have a guessing game.

Those that are involved in Late Night with tebow are unfortunately excluded as they may already know the answer.

Please only guess if you can use all or most of the gift.

Question: What primary nationality/nationalities am I?

Reward: Valve Complete Pack (Steam Key)
Serbian

Any opinion on Lost Planet 3? I am a huge fan of the first and enjoyed the second one but the critic reaction to the third was kind of brutal :S

It isn't any mystery here. The stores that offer the biggest discounts are the ones that are fighting for customers. Those stores that don't fight for customers like that don't need to put on as big of a show. It is like people on this board getting disappointed at Amazon's video game gold boxes. Amazon didn't feel like they needed to blow away our crowd to get the business, because they already had it for the most part. The smaller discounts still attracted people and still makes them money.

Same goes with Steam. Valve has the customer base already, and further discounts won't grow their customer base all that much. Meanwhile, Amazon and GMG are trying to grow their piece of the pie.
That's what everyone is saying (except those who say Steam has nothing to do with their pricing): Steam's gotten popular so their sales are worse since they don't have to try.

Can you please illustrate with an example? I'm genuinely curious if your statement is true. I'm not trying to be confrontational, [customspoiler='but...'](It has already been established that you have presented hearsay as fact.)[/customspoiler]
Okay in this sale yes you win. I suppose I was just thinking of years back but that isn't the argument and I just still am holding out hope for cheaper games haha

Well, you've just helped explain why Steam's sale pricing is getting progressively weaker :D

I'm not blaming you directly, of course. But Steam has found other ways to entice consumers to stay in their system even with sub-standard sale pricing. Cards are genius. I buy a card from you for $5.25 and Valve takes 25¢ of that and gives you $5 in credit. Which you use to buy a $5 game. Valve just made 25¢ over the sale price of the game just by flagging a cheap .jpg image to Account B instead of Account A. And you think you got a "free" game so you love it and some other chump has... a badge.

(prices and percentages for illustration purposes)
Valid points.

It isn't any mystery here. The stores that offer the biggest discounts are the ones that are fighting for customers. Those stores that don't fight for customers like that don't need to put on as big of a show. It is like people on this board getting disappointed at Amazon's video game gold boxes. Amazon didn't feel like they needed to blow away our crowd to get the business, because they already had it for the most part. The smaller discounts still attracted people and still makes them money.

Same goes with Steam. Valve has the customer base already, and further discounts won't grow their customer base all that much. Meanwhile, Amazon and GMG are trying to grow their piece of the pie.
QFE

Dutch-Lithuanian

Also: Anyone got anything positive/negative to say about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? Worth the five dollahs?
I enjoyed it for a bit. I got in on XBLA on sale and is fun and entertaining as quick arcade style FPS go. For $5 it is okay but honestly I would wait for it to be even cheaper haha.

If you want a quick pick up and play FPS game then it is a good buy though. It was pretty silly too, the story and what not poked fun at videogame clichés and stuff here and there. I just couldn't stay entertained with it for too long.

That's what everyone is saying (except those who say Steam has nothing to do with their pricing): Steam's gotten popular so their sales are worse since they don't have to try.
But this implies that Steam hasn't been popular the last few years which is pretty much the opposite of the truth. If anything these other stores are cutting into their income and Steam is LESS popular now than ever.

Also: Anyone got anything positive/negative to say about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? Worth the five dollahs?
Gunslinger was one of my biggest surprises of 2013. I don't even like FPS games in general, but for some reason I could not put this game down. It helps that it's pretty tightly paced, but I really enjoyed the creative "dynamic narration" with both the immediate and overarching story. I had a great time playing Gunslinger and I'd like to play it again sometime... if I can find the time :) The shooting mechanics and skill trees were tight and enjoyable, the music and atmosphere were good, but again I think I liked the unique narrative style the best. I think it's definitely worth $5 (I paid $12 or so).

Yeah, I corrected my original post. Ethnicity is what my original intentions were. I was born and raised in the US.

No, but getting closer?

No.
Chinese/Mongolian? (This would be a neat coincidence since my wife and I are moving there next year)

Yeah, I corrected my original post. Ethnicity is what my original intentions were. I was born and raised in the US. No, but getting closer?No.
I don't know. You cleverly traded with me outside of Paypal. Also, I have to stop buying things from this djcomplejo guy.

Maybe you're Korean and French.

I hear he's half man half machine.  Check to see if his foot's stamped "Made in Taiwan".

Another vote here for Gunslinger. It's one of the most fun shooters I've played recently. Great voice acting, fun story, good shooting, nice skill tree. I played the demo and immediately bought it at its release. The demo actually is a pretty good representation of the full game, give it a shot and if you enjoy it get the game.

Italian/Korean? Which is more dominant? Or is that getting to in-depth?

I was going to ask if you're of the 6 continent ilk or the crazy 7 I was taught in school

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back