CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very, very good. I'd say that's an excellent price for a game with a LOT of content.

I did a mini-review of it a few hundred pages ago if you can find it. I can't re-type here as my son is asleep on my right arm and it's cutting off circu
Your son shut down an entire circus. Amazing.

omg coh 2 still has lot of dlc why u do this relic and sega why why fuck u i buy thee rest when it 75% off need some dlc bundle lol ccause there is so many that isnt even in collector edtion 

If anyone is on the fence about CoH2: buy it. It may not be as good as the original but the online multiplayer is a ton of fun. I've spent over 140 hours in it already!

I like how the commanders work although it's a shame they bring out expensive P2W commanders. Although none of them so far are SO overpowered that you're definitely going to lose if you don't have them. Although the Elite Troops Doctrine is coming pretty close...

Despite all that, super fun to play!

If anyone is on the fence about CoH2: buy it. It may not be as good as the original but the online multiplayer is a ton of fun. I've spent over 140 hours in it already!

I like how the commanders work although it's a shame they bring out expensive P2W commanders. Although none of them so far are SO overpowered that you're definitely going to lose if you don't have them. Although the Elite Troops Doctrine is coming pretty close...

Despite all that, super fun to play!
i have it thanks to friend and i was tlaking bout dlc so many need dlc bundle for faceplat skins and commander lol lthat lot of dlc and i cant add all of it wishlist quick even with enhanced steam loll. i thought was only few dlc but god damn it 3 category and loads of dlcc but only one bundle lol

It's very, very good. I'd say that's an excellent price for a game with a LOT of content.

I did a mini-review of it a few hundred pages ago if you can find it. I can't re-type here as my son is asleep on my right arm and it's cutting off circu

A few hundred pages ago in another thread. Props to him if he actually finds it, though I do remember reading it but had forgotten until just now.
After reading this I took it as a challenge. Didn't take more than a couple minutes:

**** Mini Game Review Time ****

This week I have been mostly playing Desktop Dungeons. It was released on Steam last week after something like 3 1/2 years in open beta.

It's basically a puzzler with a fantasy dungeon setting. Each "dungeon" has a boss to kill, but you need to level up sufficiently to kill him. For example, one of the tutorial levels has a goat boss. You need to kill three of the level 1 goats to advance to level 2 where you can maybe kill a level 3 goat and a level 2 warlock to give you enough XP to advance your character to level 3. The tricky part is that you can only regenerate health/mana through a) potions or b) unveiling undiscovered floor tiles in the dungeon. There's no "I'll kill way too many enemies so by the time I reach the boss I'll be stupidly overpowered" approaches here. Everything is finite: your health, your ability to gain XP, your resources.

What it boils down to is a thoughtful, if mathematical, exercise. It's not something you can absent-mindedly wade through. If you haven't leveled up cleverly enough by the end, you won't be tough enough to take out the boss (who is usually between level 8 and 10). So you end up second-guessing everything you're going to kill. This is good for those who like forward planning but bad for those OCD types who must insist on maxing out the most efficient levelling path.

Did I say that all dungeons are randomised? All dungeons are randomised. So the route you took last time damn sure won't work this time.

There's endless replayability (puzzle levels/class-specific levels) and some crafty tutorials which explain the finer points of maximising your potential so it's good value.

Do I like it? Yes.
Do I love it? No. Not yet.

Why? It's an exercise in mental maths and luck. You can spend ages clearing a level only to find out that you're not strong enough to defeat the final boss, meaning you need to start all over again. It can be frustrating. But it's kinda rewarding when you clear a level, too.

That said, each level takes roughly 10 mins or so to complete if you're successful so this is perfect for puzzleheads with limited time.

One for your wishlist. It's by no means easy, and requires a lot of thought and planning, but it's a very, very good game.

Desktop Dungeons is available now on Steam for £10.79/some other currencies.

Does infinite improve over the original game? I couldn't finish it out of boredom. I put about 4-6 hours into it and gave up. Love the concept, but I just can't get through FPSs unless they are truly special. Somehow Bioshock just didn't grab me. It probably doesn't help that I'm not a huge steampunk fan either.

Does infinite improve over the original game? I couldn't finish it out of boredom. I put about 4-6 hours into it and gave up. Love the concept, but I just can't get through FPSs unless they are truly special. Somehow Bioshock just didn't grab me. It probably doesn't help that I'm not a huge steampunk fan either.
I personally liked Bioshock 1 and 2 more than Infinite, but others will disagree to no end and Infinite is rather different, so you would probably have to try it yourself to see if you prefer the changes.

In my opinion it takes a step backwards in a lot of areas.

I crafted the holiday event badge and got some stuffz.  Sold almost all my other cards because money.  Then bought the cards to finish divekick and got the best emoticon ever: "Fraud"

Hilarious.  On the right day, that emoticon sells for over a buck.  I'll keep it just for those times I want to be a jerk.

it's complete personal opinion. some people love the first game best, a small minority (i think) would choose the second (although i thought the second was great), and some like infinite. that being said, if you:

1. Didn't like Bioshock 1
  2. Need your FPS to be "truly special" (this is subjective, so I'm not sure what you would consider special...although again, if you didn't like Bio1 it doesn't bode well for the rest of the series
  3. Aren't a huge steampunk fan

Then the Bioshock series probably isn't for you. If you really want to give it another shot...if you still own Bio1 i'd try that again.

Then again, videogames are a subjective entity...not everybody is going to like everything

Damn $5 season pass strikes back... not I'm tempted again to pickup BSI, despite BS1 & BS2 in ye olde backlog, and my prior notion to wait for BSI Complete cheap...

<what a way to start a new year...> <well of course after kittykuddling and coffee.>

I doubt anyone at Valve is there to fix it. Actually, I've never seen any glitches fixed in that time period.
TSW Massive was $20 for the first 6-7 hours of it's flash... then fixed up to $30 some time after midnight PST.

so if a game gets removed from Steam, updates no longer get pushed to it, right?
Sometimes.

I remember getting some updates to games that were removed from the store a few times.

Edit: I'd buy Bioshock Infinite, but I'll just wait until the game goes on sale at Amazon next year. You know it'll happen.

Edit 2: Oh hey, Sniper Elite V2's on a flash sale. Let's see that DLC IS NOT DISCOUNTED WHY GABEN

Sometimes.

I remember getting some updates to games that were removed from the store a few times.

Edit: I'd buy Bioshock Infinite, but I'll just wait until the game goes on sale at Amazon next year. You know it'll happen.

Edit 2: Oh hey, Sniper Elite V2's on a flash sale. Let's see that DLC IS NOT DISCOUNTED WHY GABEN
Gaben does not want you to kill Hitler!!!

Sorry for non-Steam talk, but I know people in the thread have been interested in the game:

The Secret World (physical copy) is on sale at the Microsoft store for $6.99 (should be free shipping, but you may have to pay tax).

(also posted in Amazon thread)

Weird, Steam's FP is showing:

Screen_shot_2014_01_01_at_8_59_39_AM.png
Screen_shot_2014_01_01_at_8_59_49_AM.png

but the discounts are still in place (and GRID 2 is a daily with 25 hours left..)

it's complete personal opinion. some people love the first game best, a small minority (i think) would choose the second (although i thought the second was great), and some like infinite. that being said, if you:

• Didn't like Bioshock 1
  • Need your FPS to be "truly special" (this is subjective, so I'm not sure what you would consider special...although again, if you didn't like Bio1 it doesn't bode well for the rest of the series
  • Aren't a huge steampunk fan
Then the Bioshock series probably isn't for you. If you really want to give it another shot...if you still own Bio1 i'd try that again.

Then again, videogames are a subjective entity...not everybody is going to like everything
I know. It's just hard for me to let a game go by the wayside if it's good just because I didn't care for it. I want to like it. I really do.

Visually, B:I is altogether different from its predecessors. That's easy enough to see from images and video. The game plays a bit differently, in my opinion. Infinite seems heavily focused on shooting, while the other two allowed you to rely more on plasmids and melee. There's also a fair bit more jumping about in Infinite, thanks to its skylines.

The basic premise is the same though: run about a mysterious place, search everything in sight for loot, pick up audio messages, and shoot stuff.

It's hard to say without more specifics about what you didn't like.

I know. It's just hard for me to let a game go by the wayside if it's good just because I didn't care for it. I want to like it. I really do.
I'm the same way, but there are some games that the majority will love and you'll hate and vice versa. That's the beauty of subjectivity, home slice. Ex: GTA IV---->96 on metacritic, a lot of people love it. I think that game's a steaming pile of digital poo.

Visually, B:I is altogether different from its predecessors. That's easy enough to see from images and video. The game plays a bit differently, in my opinion. Infinite seems heavily focused on shooting, while the other two allowed you to rely more on plasmids and melee. There's also a fair bit more jumping about in Infinite, thanks to its skylines.

The basic premise is the same though: run about a mysterious place, search everything in sight for loot, pick up audio messages, and shoot stuff.

It's hard to say without more specifics about what you didn't like.
For me, the biggest parts of a game are story and gameplay. The story in Bioshock just didn't grab me. I didn't care about the characters and the mystery wasn't enticing. Since I don't really care much for shooters I had to rely more on the story to push me through and since it didn't do anything for me I gave up and moved on. My sister-in-law raves about the series but it just didn't click for me. Should note she loves FPSs and is a huge steampunk fan so I'm sure that helped. She's got weird taste anyway since she didn't like Mass Effect(?!!!) and likes my brother.

I'm the same way, but there are some games that the majority will love and you'll hate and vice versa. That's the beauty of subjectivity, home slice. Ex: GTA IV---->96 on metacritic, a lot of people love it. I think that game's a steaming pile of digital poo.

You can't love it all, I agree. Same here, I don't like GTA much. Just not my thing. Even though I really digged SR3 :p

Bioshock took me a bit to get into but I was blown away once it finished. I also really liked the freaky atmosphere of an unkown world in ruins... it just gripped me. To a lesser extent that also happened with BS:I but the visual awesomeness of it had me staring at my screen drooling at some points. I never got to finish BS2 though... I don't really know why.

The snow globe market hasn't crashed as much as I expected it to, but with only a couple days left and 90,000+ of each card available people have to start decreasing their offers, right?

Agreed about GTAIV. That game ruined everything that was fun about the GTA series for me. The driving was unbearable.

GTA was awesome. Then they just had to go 3D and ruin it. I'm sure I'm in the super teeny tiny minority that preferred the original GTA games.

I've always considered myself to have very eclectic taste in games. I can enjoy a good game in just about any genre. Admittedly FPS is easily the hardest for me to enjoy.

First game of the new year....Morrowind!

Finally going to get around to playing this...my backlog is going to reallllly explode since I won't be playing anythign else for the next few months or so.

Agreed about GTAIV. That game ruined everything that was fun about the GTA series for me. The driving was unbearable @ 10-15 FPS
Driving got bearable/fine a couple years of patches, and a new PC later when I could stay above 30 FPS. Driving is nowhere near as good as it's predecessors or other games of the genre (Saints Row, Sheepy Dogs).

Oooo, bioshock infinite pass for just $5,  isn't that the glitch price?

I'm tempted to pick it up, I got the all the bioshocks now from this sale. Is it worth picking up the Season Pass for $5 if I don't play it for a couple months?

For me, the biggest parts of a game are story and gameplay. The story in Bioshock just didn't grab me. I didn't care about the characters and the mystery wasn't enticing. Since I don't really care much for shooters I had to rely more on the story to push me through and since it didn't do anything for me I gave up and moved on. My sister-in-law raves about the series but it just didn't click for me. Should note she loves FPSs and is a huge steampunk fan so I'm sure that helped. She's got weird taste anyway since she didn't like Mass Effect(?!!!) and likes my brother.
Well... the story is different from the first two. There are loose parallels, naturally, but that's about it. Different characters, different setting, different purpose, and you do have Elizabeth as a sidekick, of sorts, so that does change the narrative as well. Story is a highly personal thing.

I personally rank the gameplay at the bottom of the trilogy. I preferred the slower pace and heavier use of plasmids in the original two. That, again, is a matter of taste.

The snow globe market hasn't crashed as much as I expected it to, but with only a couple days left and 90,000+ of each card available people have to start decreasing their offers, right?
I would imagine a good chunk of people will just leave them listed and never bother (or realize that they are about to expire). I do expect it'll dip a bit more. It's dropped a few cents each day. They are selling at an incredible rate though, so who's to say where they will bottom out... and how big of a pain in the ass will it be to buy one when everyone is circling them like sharks?

First game of the new year....Morrowind!

Finally going to get around to playing this...my backlog is going to reallllly explode since I won't be playing anythign else for the next few months or so.
If you can stomach the old graphics a gameplay, its awesome and can consume you.

For Posterity: Community Vote Results

Thankfully less mercy killing was not on my list of New Year's resolutions...

Screen_shot_2014_01_01_at_9_30_07_AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back