The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='Cornkrise']No weekend deal this week?[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised. They DID just finish up with the Black Friday/Treasure Hunt/Holiday Sale. That was about a month of constant deals. I'm certainly not looking to spend any more money on games for a LONG time.

Looks like the deal is for Blacklight: Tango Down for half off which is pretty miserable since it was 99c on GFWL, and GamersGate and Impulse have had it for 3.75.

I hear the game is the pinnacle of bad ports too.

Oh, it is. It has the worst mouse control in any game I've ever played, and I've played some shitty games. Add to that the fact that there are only one or two people playing, it's probably one of the worst games to come out in recent memory. Just awful.

New DLC for Guardian of Light is out & Square-Eidos was nice enough to give the 'Kane & Lynch Pack' for free. I also have had 'Challenge Pack 2' free from the day I purchased the game, but if it is still free that why would there be a store listing?

Also, speaking of free DLC - anyone who picked up Railworks 2.0 this holiday sale should see the BNSF Railway addon (a $8.99 value) in their DLC tab.

[quote name='cheapo72']New DLC for Guardian of Light is out & Square-Eidos was nice enough to give the 'Kane & Lynch Pack' for free. I also have had 'Challenge Pack 2' free from the day I purchased the game, but if it is still free that why would there be a store listing?[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I also have Challenge Pack 2. Did they announce they would be giving that away or something? I could see it being given away if you pre-ordered it or bought it the day of release, but I only just bought it for $5 during the sale. I'm not complaining, but I'm confused.

Thanks to the steam sale and Indie bundle I've increased my games catalog by over 100%. Started playing Dead Space and my lord the game is awesome. Between the amazing visuals and the well designed user interface I now understand why it was praised so much.

So... I got so many games at such a good value between Thanksgiving & Christmas that I ended up blowing almost $800 on a brand new rig...

CURSE YOU STEAM

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Interesting. I also have Challenge Pack 2. Did they announce they would be giving that away or something? I could see it being given away if you pre-ordered it or bought it the day of release, but I only just bought it for $5 during the sale. I'm not complaining, but I'm confused.[/QUOTE]

Challenge Pack 2 is free to everyone who owns the PC version, as sort of a condolence for the DLC (and online play) coming to the PC version so late, compared to the console versions

Challenge Pack 2 is also free on PS3 and 360 (or it was, I haven't checked lately) so it's not super special that we get it free on Steam too. At least we do get it though, unlike the PC versions of Blur and some Burnout Paradise DLC.

[quote name='eastx']Challenge Pack 2 is also free on PS3 and 360 (or it was, I haven't checked lately) so it's not super special that we get it free on Steam too. At least we do get it though, unlike the PC versions of Blur and some Burnout Paradise DLC.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the DLC for NFS: Hot Pursuit.

I have 2 questions, Does anyone know why none of the older Call of Duty titles were on sale, this holiday sale. And one other question, why does steam not have Hitman 3? Was it developed by a different company?

New coming soon stuff:

About damn time, on The Sims 3. And lastly, Sega is FINALLY about to release some really awesome games for the SEGA Genesis Classics line-up. This is easily going to be the best batch of these released so far. They should have released these a long time ago. All killer:
  • Alien Soldier (YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSS)
  • Gunstar Heroes (OHHHHH GODDDDDDDDD)
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Shining Force (WOWOWOWOW)
  • Shining FOrce 2
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (FINALLY)
  • Streets of Rage (AWESOME)
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • ToeJam & Earl (HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT)
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Alien Soldier and ToeJam & Earl, on Steam. Amazing. I insist on buy Alien Soldier at every available opportunity.

[quote name='Cornkrise']I have 2 questions, Does anyone know why none of the older Call of Duty titles were on sale, this holiday sale. And one other question, why does steam not have Hitman 3? Was it developed by a different company?[/QUOTE]

No, we don't know, and no.

I'm hoping those Genesis games end up in a big sale at some point. And Sims 3 I wouldn't mind picking up, but I doubt that will see a good sale. Especially with how piss warm Spore sales have been. Still, if it hit a decent price I'd snap it up.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'][*]Alien Soldier (YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSS)
[*]Gunstar Heroes (OHHHHH GODDDDDDDDD)
[*]Streets of Rage (AWESOME)
[*]Streets of Rage 2[/QUOTE]

These were some great games. Gunstar Heroes was the first game I ended that no one in my circle could.

SoR was great until they added Kangroos and Robots. :lol:

[quote name='SqueeMK2']I'm hoping those Genesis games end up in a big sale at some point. And Sims 3 I wouldn't mind picking up, but I doubt that will see a good sale. Especially with how piss warm Spore sales have been. Still, if it hit a decent price I'd snap it up.[/QUOTE]

I thought the holiday sale on Spore was pretty nice. EA should definitely get more into the sale spirit in general though.

I'm not 100% sure that I understand this correctly, but it appears that soon you'll be able to subscribe to PC Gamer as a digital magazine, via Steam. Kind of like those Prima strategy guides, I guess.

[quote name='cheapo72']If Sega follows its pattern of 10 games/pack, I wonder which 2 (besides the Sonic games) would be left "loose".[/QUOTE]
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the Sega Genesis Classics 4 pack will have all 14 of the games I listed above. It will probably be priced a little higher than the $7.49 that the current other 3 Sega Genesis packs sell for, as a result. I could be wrong, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragon Age 2 is now available for pre-purchase. Bioware/EA are some clever bastards. Making you pre-order through retail to get the Signature Edition. Whatever, I'm not going to buy until the inevitable ultimate edition anyway.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']And lastly, Sega is FINALLY about to release some really awesome games for the SEGA Genesis Classics line-up. This is easily going to be the best batch of these released so far. They should have released these a long time ago. All killer:
  • Alien Soldier (YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSSS)
  • Gunstar Heroes (OHHHHH GODDDDDDDDD)
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Shining Force (WOWOWOWOW)
  • Shining FOrce 2
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (FINALLY)
  • Streets of Rage (AWESOME)
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • ToeJam & Earl (HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT)
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Alien Soldier and ToeJam & Earl, on Steam. Amazing. I insist on buy Alien Soldier at every available opportunity.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's already out on Gamersgate, seems they always got first dibs on these Sega classics. Still waiting for a sale for any of the packs.

Speaking of Sega, do anyone know why they remove some games from steam, like Outrun 2006 and Sega Rally Revo?

[quote name='didamangi']Speaking of Sega, do anyone know why they remove some games from steam, like Outrun 2006 and Sega Rally Revo?[/QUOTE]

Licensing problems related to the in-game real-world cars and ads and whatnot, most likely.

[quote name='didamangi']Yeah, it's already out on Gamersgate...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out. It seems that GGate is selling the TJ&E games for the "Sonic Price" of $4.99, so those two would probably be left out of a hypothetical 10-pack. (Hopefully, all 14 games are included...as long as we get a sale on the Sonic games already on Steam in lieu of a Sonic Pack.)

Am I missing something with the Sega Genesis Classic Packs? What makes them so special to own on steam vs. the 360 collection vs. the actual cart?

Don't you guys own a genesis? :)

Because it's real convenient to keep a Genesis around along with an old CRT TV to play it on, as well as finding all the carts for the games you want.

Also, not everyone has an Xbox, this is after all in the PC forum where I'd assume a lot of us mainly play stuff on the PC.

[quote name='SEH']Because it's real convenient to keep a Genesis around along with an old CRT TV to play it on, as well as finding all the carts for the games you want.

Also, not everyone has an Xbox, this is after all in the PC forum where I'd assume a lot of us mainly play stuff on the PC.[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering if there was any differences or additions to the steam version of the games such as achievements, steam cloud support, widescreen support, etc. I just tossed in the 360 version because it was well done and was wondering if it was similar to that.

I prefer the Genesis controller for these type of games.

[quote name='sp8001']I prefer the Genesis controller for these type of games.[/QUOTE]

You can get converters to play with Genesis gamepads on the PC if you already own them. They are called Retrokits. They range from $3.99 to $16.99.

So, Monday Night Combat.

I decided to pick it up on a whim and just go in blind. It was only 13.50, and the devs seem to be in touch with the community and willing to update fairly regularly so what the hell. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the game. I enjoy playing it, but it doesn't feel quite full (A beta of a 15 dollar game not being full? What a shocker!)

While the game is often considered DotA as a third person shooter, I'd say that on the surface that's probably true, but the game does not fully utilize the idea of lane pushing and leveling. The NPC 'creeps', or in MNC, robots, are pretty flimsy and push player-built towers very poorly, mostly serving as fodder to distract the other team. It's almost entirely centered around players killing each other in normal fashion, which sort of disappointed me. I expected to see some more strategy in the lane pushing tug-of-war, but it largely boils down to killing the other team, shooting at their towers from a distance and then stomping around in their base, not letting them set up more towers.

The games balance feels off though, too many classes have OHK's for my tastes but generally if you keep your wits about you, you can dodge/stay out of the line of fire of snipers, look around for assassins and avoid getting in to CQC with some of the heavier classes (Unless of course, you are the heavier class)

All in all, I'd say if you like the look of the game and the idea of it, go for it! I've enjoyed my time with it thus far and expect to be playing more in the weeks to come (Hopefully months with periodic updates). However, if you were on the fence about the game, I'd say wait for an inevitable sale.

[quote name='cheapo72']If Sega follows its pattern of 10 games/pack, I wonder which 2 (besides the Sonic games) would be left "loose".[/QUOTE]

Update on this: The pack won't have either of the Sonic or TJ&E games. Those will all be only available "loose," and $4.99 each.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']So, Monday Night Combat.

I decided to pick it up on a whim and just go in blind. It was only 13.50, and the devs seem to be in touch with the community and willing to update fairly regularly so what the hell. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the game. I enjoy playing it, but it doesn't feel quite full (A beta of a 15 dollar game not being full? What a shocker!)

While the game is often considered DotA as a third person shooter, I'd say that on the surface that's probably true, but the game does not fully utilize the idea of lane pushing and leveling. The NPC 'creeps', or in MNC, robots, are pretty flimsy and push player-built towers very poorly, mostly serving as fodder to distract the other team. It's almost entirely centered around players killing each other in normal fashion, which sort of disappointed me. I expected to see some more strategy in the lane pushing tug-of-war, but it largely boils down to killing the other team, shooting at their towers from a distance and then stomping around in their base, not letting them set up more towers.

The games balance feels off though, too many classes have OHK's for my tastes but generally if you keep your wits about you, you can dodge/stay out of the line of fire of snipers, look around for assassins and avoid getting in to CQC with some of the heavier classes (Unless of course, you are the heavier class)

All in all, I'd say if you like the look of the game and the idea of it, go for it! I've enjoyed my time with it thus far and expect to be playing more in the weeks to come (Hopefully months with periodic updates). However, if you were on the fence about the game, I'd say wait for an inevitable sale.[/QUOTE]

Don't suppose you have any experience with League of Legends?

If you do, don't suppose you can draw any comparisons/opinions on the appeal for a LoL fan...

Would have preordered already, but still recuperating from thanksgiving to treasure hunt to holiday steam sale...

As an aside, anyone have a particular favorite steam sale game? I was surprised just how addicting Super Meat Boy is, probably my favorite purchase

[quote name='VGmnk']As an aside, anyone have a particular favorite steam sale game? I was surprised just how addicting Super Meat Boy is, probably my favorite purchase[/QUOTE]

I haven't played many of my games yet, but I really enjoyed GTA4: EfLC and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. The GTA4 episodes are a lot more fun and they're the perfect length unlike GTA4 which drags on.

I also had a lot of fun with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. The levels were really well designed and the action was great. It also has plenty of unlocks and things to find which added a lot of replay value for me. I had to go back and complete every challenge for every level and find every single weapon/relic/artifact. Got the Tomb Raider achievement and apparently less than 2% of the people who own the game have gotten that!

[quote name='VGmnk']Don't suppose you have any experience with League of Legends?

If you do, don't suppose you can draw any comparisons/opinions on the appeal for a LoL fan...

Would have preordered already, but still recuperating from thanksgiving to treasure hunt to holiday steam sale...

As an aside, anyone have a particular favorite steam sale game? I was surprised just how addicting Super Meat Boy is, probably my favorite purchase[/QUOTE]

Never played LoL, but I've played DotA and HoN extensively. I suppose I'll make somewhat of a similarity/difference list, here goes:

Things that are the same

• Skills - each character has 3 active skills and 1 passive skill, not including the various weapons. You can level ranks of these to make them better
  • Lanes - Creeps will spawn in 1/2 lanes (Depending on the map size) and will play tug of war with enemy creeps.
  • Money - You gain money from killing players, creeps and towers which can be used to upgrade yourself, among other things

Things that are similar but different

• What you spend money on - There are no items in MNC. You spend your money on three things, more creeps, yourself, or towers.
  • Towers - While they do exist and are a big factor in holding off creeps, you get none for free. Players must choose between 4 to build and upgrade in designated tower spots.
  • Laning - While fighting creeps in the lane is a good idea to make a quick buck and push up, the bulk of the game is killing other players on the high ground. This gets you much more money.
  • Teamwork - While in any game it's important to have teamwork, the teamwork in MNC is not nearly as intense as in LoL/HoN/DotA. It's perfectly acceptable to lone wolf it, aside from pushing towers/killing their main base thing.

Things that are totally different

• Experience - Straight up doesn't exist
  • Length of fights - It's a shooter, so fights are usually over in 2-6 seconds with someone. There are also OHK's from some classes like the Sniper or Assassin.
  • Number of heroes - Only 6 classes, don't expect as much variety as LoL.
  • The community - People aren't raging assholes.

The bottom line is that the game is a shooter with DotA elements, not a DotA type game with shooter elements.

The game is really growing on me. I wasn't HUGE on it when I first started playing but I really like all the classes now, they all offer something interesting.

i dont have me desktop comp with me right now, so im stuck with my nongaming thinkpad until the end of the month. so ive only been playing deus ex and altitude. deus ex is a hell of a lot of fun. I tried it a long time ago, but i didint like it. im glad i gave it a second chance.
altitude is great for casual multiplayer. its fun regardless of whether you win or lose, since the rounds arent too long, and the maps/game modes are constantly cycling.
i cant wait to play Batman AA on my desktop though.

I finished Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Kane & Lynch 2 and Mafia 2 (vanilla) since the sale ended. Really enjoyed all of them immensely, especially Mafia 2. Just a beautiful game with superb voice acting and a story worth telling. I'll probably give it a few days before I hit the DLC packs and attempt to finish the Playboy achievement, though. Kane & Lynch 2 gets a lot of crap but I liked the dark style and I have a thing for cover shooters so the lack of variety in gameplay didn't bother me too much. The short length (just over four hours for me) was just enough for me not to get tired of it. Once I got SGW running right, I enjoyed it as well. I'm a sucker for games that take place in the jungle and the Chrome 4 engine replicated it nicely.

Forgot to mention in the aftermath of the holiday sale that Paradox/Fatshark was nice enough to give me a giftable copy of Lead & Gold (which I already owned) when I bought the pack. I know they can't always do this with packs (to prevent re-selling) but it's nice when it happens.

(I also owned the Penumbra games, but didn't get another copy of those, so the deal wasn't "pack-wide").

Currently, working on four games right now.

Borderlands co op with three other CAGs such an amazing game! Currently we are all at level 32 and are working on doing all the side missions before we finish the game. I completed the game co op with one other CAG but, heard it's even better with a full four player co op party.

To date I have sunk over 50 hours in Borderlands since I picked it up in August 2010.

I have to agree four player is the way to go if you can find three other people. Sadly, the other three CAGs don't own any DLC so we will have to wait for the next sale to complete the game.

Titan's Quest - I have been playing with two other CAGs since October when we all bought the game. Great Diablo Clone and we are currently in Act IV. We have sunk around 40 hrs so far in the game and have had a bunch of fun not bad for five bucks!

Torchlight - Played this for about two days straight while I didn't have internet back near the end of December. Because I was offline none of the achievements counted so I started with another character and I'm currently at level 10. Another fun action RPG and well worth the five bucks I paid during Holiday sale 2009.

Swords and Soldiers HD - I just started playing this a few days ago and had a good time. The strategy and micro management is fairly thin and I have found most battles are about getting your max gold diggers and then spamming the enemy with soldiers and the occasional spell. Just finished the Viking campaign and currently playing the Aztecs. I really like the art style of the game. Pretty easy to pick up and play was well worth the price I paid during Holiday sale 2010.

Hey evildeadjedi, I'm jealous that you've been able to get so much game time in on those games. I've played the first 3 enough to know they are a lot of fun, but not much more than that.

Though I did buy Bejeweled 3 (from Amazon DOTD) and played that over the weekend. Already got most of the trophies though most are Bronze, Silver or Gold, with a couple of Platinums and 2 of the Elites).

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I haven't played many of my games yet, but I really enjoyed GTA4: EfLC and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. The GTA4 episodes are a lot more fun and they're the perfect length unlike GTA4 which drags on.

I also had a lot of fun with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. The levels were really well designed and the action was great. It also has plenty of unlocks and things to find which added a lot of replay value for me. I had to go back and complete every challenge for every level and find every single weapon/relic/artifact. Got the Tomb Raider achievement and apparently less than 2% of the people who own the game have gotten that![/QUOTE]

I was really tempted to get the Tomb Raider spinoff, but I thought since it was a two-player ordeal, I thought I'd be missing out if I went it alone...guess I'll have to pick it up next time its out.

I have GTA4 still sitting in my games to play folder, and somewhat intimidated by the amount of stuff in it, not to mention the somewhat so-so opinions I've heard about it....but do plan on getting to it eventually. Probably would have tried Just Cause 2 as well, if not for the windows vista+ requirement (still chugging along on XP...).

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Killing Floor and Torchlight for me so far.[/QUOTE]
Hope you had a chance to do the XMas special event in Killing Floor--was a lot of fun picking up those achievements, and getting the drunk mall santa skin....hope/wish more games would do this....

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Never played LoL, but I've played DotA and HoN extensively. I suppose I'll make somewhat of a similarity/difference list, -snip-
The bottom line is that the game is a shooter with DotA elements, not a DotA type game with shooter elements.

The game is really growing on me. I wasn't HUGE on it when I first started playing but I really like all the classes now, they all offer something interesting.[/QUOTE]

Thats really great to hear...I really enjoy League of Legends. Was just blown away at how a *free* game could be so addicting, I imagine the devs are just making money hand-over-fist off of selling skins and other extra goodies. I'd like to get into MNC, but didn't want to preorder/beta without a little more info (as I've already seen the trailers and what not), and will probably get into it the next time I have the extra cash.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Hey evildeadjedi, I'm jealous that you've been able to get so much game time in on those games. I've played the first 3 enough to know they are a lot of fun, but not much more than that.

Though I did buy Bejeweled 3 (from Amazon DOTD) and played that over the weekend. Already got most of the trophies though most are Bronze, Silver or Gold, with a couple of Platinums and 2 of the Elites).[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize I had that much time sunk into them. I was glad to see that I'm not buying tons of games just to let them sit on my account. :lol:

The Bejeweled games can really suck you right into their addictive gameplay, I know I played the first one in short spurts all the time.

[quote name='VGmnk']
Hope you had a chance to do the XMas special event in Killing Floor--was a lot of fun picking up those achievements, and getting the drunk mall santa skin....hope/wish more games would do this....
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I didn't get the achievements or the drunk mall Santa skin. I hope they do it again next year, since I would have a better feel for the game. Overall, I really like the game it kind of reminds me of a mixture of Nation Red, Left 4 Dead and Counterstrike.

I finished Swords and Soldiers HD yesterday and I have to say that I think the Chinese are a little over powered compared to the other two races. Fun stuff and I can't wait to try some multiplayer.

So has anybody else noticed the Penny Arcade Adventures Double Pack that was just added to the store? I like how a few weeks ago, and for the past year or so before that, the games were $5 each, but now, they're $8 each, or $12 for both. This is one of the first notable examples of a price increase on Steam, that really stands out to me.

Yeah, I noticed that and the price increase too, since I had eyeballed the games a couple times in the past. Bit strange, but maybe since they're bundled they'll end up in a sale at some point.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
Borderlands co op with three other CAGs such an amazing game!

Titan's Quest - I have been playing with two other CAGs since October when we all bought the game. Great Diablo Clone and we are currently in Act IV.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like good times! I have yet to play either game as multiplayer, just not a lot of gaming time available.

Looking forward to clearing the backlog up a bit after I'm done with school in early April.

I've pretty much made it a rule to not buy anything new until I've played the games I own; my only purchase during the holiday sales was a copy of Plants vs Zombies for my girlfriend. She's not much of a gamer but it has throughly trumped Snood as her go to game.

Well, I rolled the dice and picked up Monday Night Combat. Bought a 4 pack so I got it at $11.25, and since there are/were around 1,500 people playing it today I'm going to hope that'll mean a decent playerbase. I don't recall other indie multiplayer shooters getting that high, but I guess I'll see what happens.

Plus, hats. An important feature in multiplayer shooters.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Well, I rolled the dice and picked up Monday Night Combat. Bought a 4 pack so I got it at $11.25, and since there are/were around 1,500 people playing it today I'm going to hope that'll mean a decent playerbase. I don't recall other indie multiplayer shooters getting that high, but I guess I'll see what happens.

Plus, hats. An important feature in multiplayer shooters.[/QUOTE]

I know Coffe's (And quickly becoming my) feeling on these hat promotions, but I'm glad Uber was able to cut a deal with Valve as I really want this game's MP community to stay strong.

bread's done
Back