The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Nice! Companies need to do more stuff like that on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I love when you see that stuff.

THQ is pretty good about it, it seems.

Steam also added if you Preorder Necrovision Lost Company you get Necrovision free

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I heard Saints Row 2 had lots of problems on the PC, does that hold true for the steam version? Free is free, but just wondering.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm pretty sure no matter what version you get it will have some problems. I was thinking about buying it before but I've heard way too many bad things about the PC version.

My time wasters have been Aliens vs Predators (addicted to chucking grenades and disks everywhere), Killing Floor, and Natural Selection (old Half-Life 1 mod). All addicting and cheap. Also of course Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.

[quote name='DrFoo']Yeah I'm pretty sure no matter what version you get it will have some problems. I was thinking about buying it before but I've heard way too many bad things about the PC version.

My time wasters have been Aliens vs Predators (addicted to chucking grenades and disks everywhere), Killing Floor, and Natural Selection (old Half-Life 1 mod). All addicting and cheap. Also of course Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.[/QUOTE]

That use to be one of my favorite mods. I moved on to Tremulous. It's a free and legal stand alone version of Natural Selection.

[quote name='Megazell']That use to be one of my favorite mods. I moved on to Tremulous. It's a free and legal stand alone version of Natural Selection.[/QUOTE]
I'll have to try that game out sometime. Thanks for the recommendation. Also damn I really hope Natural Selection 2 comes out soon.

EDIT
You made me look at the NS2 website and I just found out the first in game footage was revealed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu23zfObtv4&feature=player_embedded

What this has to do with the steam thread I don't really know. I guess I'm waiting to buy it until it is released on steam if that counts.

^ Ya. I seen that before. I will stay with Trem though. NS was great but Trem has a larger player base and it's free.

I was curious about people's thoughts on NecroVision. If you preorder NecroVision: Lost Company ($29.99), you get the the first NecroVision included. The concept seemed pretty cool but the middling reviews tell me the execution is not so much.

[quote name='Mike UFC']I was curious about people's thoughts on NecroVision. If you preorder NecroVision: Lost Company ($29.99), you get the the first NecroVision included. The concept seemed pretty cool but the middling reviews tell me the execution is not so much.[/QUOTE]

I'm interested in it myself, but already figured I would just wait till there is a deal on it (holiday or otherwise).

Is it kinda sad that I look forward to Tuesdays and Fridays to know what the midweek and weekend deals are? Like I don't have enough of a backlog as it is.

And to top it off, I just got my copies of a bunch of old school RPGs I have been wanting to replay for ages (Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2, all the NWN) /facepalm

I too am interested in Necrovision. The original is on amazon for like 9.99 (retail box) and the concept seems cool. The fact there is a sequel is promising as well.

30 for the original isn't bad since I would likely pay 10 bucks each so this would be only 10 bucks more, but at the same time if I am not going to play and finish it right this moment I might as well wait.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Midweek madness is
Shadowgrounds Pack - 75%
Shadowgrounds - 75%
Shadowgrounds Survivor - 75%[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting, good deal considering only one of those costs 5 bucks at the local Half price books.

Anyone play these?

I heard that Survivor is a remake of the original and is much better overall. Any truth to that? Cause I'll just buy that one instead of both.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Sounds interesting, good deal considering only one of those costs 5 bucks at the local Half price books.

Anyone play these?[/QUOTE]
Yeah I played the original. I'd say it's definitely worth it at those prices. It's basically like a darker Diablo 2 with guns and no leveling.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I heard that Survivor is a remake of the original and is much better overall. Any truth to that? Cause I'll just buy that one instead of both.[/QUOTE]
From what I've heard it's very similar (with the same story and some of the same enemies) but has a new campaign and some new features.

I was just about to install my hard copy of the original Shadowgrounds tonight, because I'm #3 in the Goozex queue for it. This sale probably means I'll be #3 for a while longer...

I upgraded my PC recently, allowing me to play games in windowed mode, so pretty much any game that let's you window mode is a time waster for me. During the past few days, I've been replaying HL2 bit by bit in maybe 5-10 minute bursts. I also play Audiosurf, and it's usually only for one song, so that's a good 3-5 minutes. Street Fighter IV training mode is good for practicing links & etc to fill time, but I usually end up in there for too long. And, if my wheel is set up, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast is a fun time waster.

I love windowed mode.

[quote name='aTOH']I upgraded my PC recently, allowing me to play games in windowed mode, so pretty much any game that let's you window mode is a time waster for me. During the past few days, I've been replaying HL2 bit by bit in maybe 5-10 minute bursts. I also play Audiosurf, and it's usually only for one song, so that's a good 3-5 minutes. Street Fighter IV training mode is good for practicing links & etc to fill time, but I usually end up in there for too long. And, if my wheel is set up, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast is a fun time waster.

I love windowed mode.[/QUOTE]

Since you are going through HL2 again. Download the Fakefactory Cinematic 10 mod. Total remake of the game almost, all in hi res

Foreign Legion Buckets of Blood is a good time waster hehe.

Pirates Vikings and Knights II is a mod that was released on steam for HL2, that's a fun one too.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Since you are going through HL2 again. Download the Fakefactory Cinematic 10 mod. Total remake of the game almost, all in hi res[/QUOTE]

Oh, sick! Thanks for telling me about that, didn't know it existed. Perfect timing, too, I think. Just got to Ravenholm earlier today. Sucks that you need Ep1+2 though. 10+gigs to download tomorrow..

[quote name='aTOH']Oh, sick! Thanks for telling me about that, didn't know it existed. Perfect timing, too, I think. Just got to Ravenholm earlier today. Sucks that you need Ep1+2 though. 10+gigs to download tomorrow..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it uses a lot of graphic engine enhancements from Ep2 engine as well as some of both Eps assests.

Some of the stuff takes getting use too, like all the major characters have had their models redone and Alex especially doesn't look like she use too, but hey they put boob jiggle in lol

Fakefactory is fucking hideous. The new character models are just awful, and simply do not gel with Half-Life's art direction. It's interesting to look at for a few minutes, just to fool around and to see the Source engine really getting taxed, but if you ask me, anyone actually playing through the game with Fakefactory is doing themselves a disservice.

There is a far better, totally seamless HL2 update mod, that isn't horribly garish. It adds all of the extra graphical prettiness from the 360/PS3 version of HL2. The graphical update for the 360/PS3 version was created Valve themselves (but was simply never patched into the PC version), so it fits in perfectly with the game's art direction. It even adds the achievements support. It's available here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093025

[quote name='Mike UFC']Shattered Horizon $9.99 [...] Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Shattered Horizon fucking owns. It isn't for babby scrubs, though, so beware.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Fakefactory is fucking hideous. The new character models are just awful, and simply do not gel with Half-Life's art direction. It's interesting to look at for a few minutes, just to fool around and to see the Source engine really getting taxed, but if you ask me, anyone actually playing through the game with Fakefactory is doing themselves a disservice.

There is a far better, totally seamless HL2 update mod, that isn't horribly garish. It adds all of the extra graphical prettiness from the 360/PS3 version of HL2. The graphical update for the 360/PS3 version was created Valve themselves (but was simply never patched into the PC version), so it fits in perfectly with the game's art direction. It even adds the achievements support. It's available here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093025

Yeah, Shattered Horizon fucking owns. It isn't for babby scrubs, though, so beware.[/QUOTE]

Considering I've (and probably most others by now)played through HL2 a good half dozen times since it has come out as well as the 2 episodes it is nice to see a high def HL2. I don't care for most the new character models much myself, but after while I hardly notice anymore and couldn't care less.

Did anyone get Shadowgrounds, and if so, how is it? I was tempted to buy this, and I figured I would, but I procrastinated, and I wonder if I should be sad or not

It's funny, I was/am happy that this weekend deal was something I didn't want, but here I find myself wanting to buy a game cause I didn't get one now, wtf is wrong with me lol

[quote name='KaOTiK']The guy probably hasn't played Civ games, cause you always moved in a hex pattern but the grid just wasnt viewable[/QUOTE]

You don't move in hexes, you move in a square pattern.

The main difference is how many forces you can get in on one zone. In a square pattern, you can get 8 forces surrounding, in a hex you can only get 6.

To most people, this is minor at best. To a wargamer, I love that Civ moved to hexes.

[quote name='Logain8955']You don't move in hexes, you move in a square pattern.

The main difference is how many forces you can get in on one zone. In a square pattern, you can get 8 forces surrounding, in a hex you can only get 6.

To most people, this is minor at best. To a wargamer, I love that Civ moved to hexes.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why I thought that, you are right.

Might be due to ton of hours I've been putting into Kings Bounty, hex grid battles is all I can see now, and I swear I hear the games music when it isn't even on. /cry

Something I'm curious about. How many games do people have through Steam? I know my number almost doubled over the holiday sale. I have 123 games listed in my account, with 116 installed on my desktop and 102 installed on my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! I've got about 50, and I keep about half installed; something huge like Bioshock that I'm done playing I uninstall. 1 system—my desktop.

It is a good game at a fair price, but the DRM kills it. 3 install limit and you need to make a yuplay account to access parts of the game from what I have read.

I was wrong about the online having to be connected thing, I had gotten things a bit mixed up in my half asleep just waking up head. I was looking at a game called Rise of Flight that required online all the time, then I was reading a UBI hate thread and was posting this deal up at the sametime.

So totally my fault on that, my apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaOTiK']It is a good game at a fair price, but the DRM kills it. 3 install limit and you need to make a yuplay account and be connected to it at all times you play (single player as well).[/QUOTE]

I really think there should be huge warnings for crap like that.

On the subject of how many games I own...not about to count but I bet its around 70-100 now.

Different subject Psychonauts PC port has some horrid controls even with the 360 controller it takes a lot of tampering to get it to be even decent.

And finally awsome subject. Destructoid posted a story that a new 2D worms game is in development for steam!

[quote name='darthbudge']Steam fail. After Steam Friends went down just a few minutes ago, I lost my ENTIRE friends list. Apparently this happening to lots of people.[/QUOTE]

Just looked and lost my friends list too. Ah well didnt really talk to anyone other then Tekzor every now and then anyways. Besides this is the first big steam error I can think of.

[quote name='jp0213']I still have my list but maybe it was because I was logged in when it happened. Afraid to log out now.[/QUOTE]

I was logged in too soooooo

[quote name='jp0213']I still have my list but maybe it was because I was logged in when it happened. Afraid to log out now.[/QUOTE]

I was logged in as well... for some reason it only happened to certain people...

UI update announced. A beta is available already. You just have to opt-in. I'm going to give it a try and see what it's like.

Link

New Features Advance Leading Game Platform

February 23, 2010 -- Valve announces a new version of Steam which is immediately available in public beta.

In the last 12 months, Steam has grown 200%. There are now 25 million users, 1000+ games, 12 billion player minutes per month, and 75 billion Steam client minutes per month. To accommodate this growth, a new Steam client has been created.

This opt-in beta is available immediately to all Steam users. If users already have Steam installed on their computer, they can take part in the beta by clicking this link and then selecting "UI Update" under Beta Participation. If they don't have Steam installed, they can download it here. To preview the new Steam client without taking part in the beta, a complete rundown of the new features is available here.

Increasingly, the most effective way of reaching new gamers is through the existing players of a game. With the new Steam release, gamers will now be able to see which games their friends have purchased directly within the Steam storefront. 25 million gamers create a highly effective and knowledgeable source of purchase suggestions.

News outlets now have the ability to reach the Steam community through the new client's News aggregator functionality. Those organizations interested can contact Doug Lombardi at [email protected].

With users purchasing more and more games through Steam, new methods of library management were needed. The new client introduces library customization tools to help gamers sort, group, and find games in libraries which for some hardcore players contain hundreds of titles. In addition to having lots of games, gamers needed methods of tracking all of their achievements in a standardized cross-game fashion, which is now possible with the new release.

"We made hundreds of changes to the Steam client as a result of customer feedback on the interface, performance, and functionality," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development at Valve. "For example, we swapped out the Internet Explorer rendering engine with WebKit, which gives us a bunch of size, stability and performance benefits. This release of Steam leaves us well prepared for another year of strong growth."

About Steam
The leading online platform for PC games and digital entertainment, Steam delivers new releases and online services to over 25 million PC users around the world. For more information, please visit steamgames.com.

About Valve
Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based in Bellevue, Washington. For more information, please visit valvesoftware.com.

[quote name='Salamando3000']To anyone else already testing this - have you figured out a way to condense everything into just a small list, like Steam Current has?[/QUOTE]

view
games list

or

library
then on the right side, you have three options to the right of "view" above your games list
detailed/ list/ grid
click list

bread's done
Back