The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='VGmnk']With all the games I've gotten, I'd consider buying an authenticator...although I'd wonder if there would be the same incentive for hackers to hack a steam account compared to an MMO account for gold selling...I'm not sure how you would sell games by gifting from someone's account and not get caught and its not like currency/goods which can go through many hands, you can only gift to the one account.[/QUOTE]

If there was a Steam authenticator like the Blizzard one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I love my Blizzard one, sure it's an extra step and a pain in the ass when I want to log in on a friends comp, but so far almost everyone I know has been hacked except me.

On another note, anyone know how to turn down the god damned fucking strobe in Beat Hazard? I swear, one of the patches turned the damn thing up and now I can't play more than 2 songs without my eyes being on fire.

Yeah, hoping for a daily deal. :) Downloading the demo and will probably buy it at the sale price on the last day tho.

True, maybe there is no incentive to jack a Steam account. Hadn't thought of that!

[quote name='Gorregisguy']Are we talking 48 hours here? Do you live here?

a1379_1921.jpg
[/QUOTE]

About download speeds. I hear people talk a lot about The Witcher and its 14 gigs. "It took me two days to download it!" someone said. I am just baffled by all of this. Maybe I have a fast connection. That's fine. I'm not trying to be like "yo, my connect is LEET brah!" or anything. If I have a good connection, cool, I'm lucky and happy. But two days for 14gb? The Global Agenda demo is about 10gb. I've got almost 7gb left, and it'll be done in 3 hours. This is while downloading other stuff, too, and on a day when the servers are getting hammered. Maybe people are just impatient.

Sorry, I'm rambling here about stuff so as not to clutter the deals thread with my jabber.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Yeah, hoping for a daily deal. :) Downloading the demo and will probably buy it at the sale price on the last day tho.

True, maybe there is no incentive to jack a Steam account. Hadn't thought of that!

About download speeds. I hear people talk a lot about The Witcher and its 14 gigs. "It took me two days to download it!" someone said. I am just baffled by all of this. Maybe I have a fast connection. That's fine. I'm not trying to be like "yo, my connect is LEET brah!" or anything. If I have a good connection, cool, I'm lucky and happy. But two days for 14gb? The Global Agenda demo is about 10gb. I've got almost 7gb left, and it'll be done in 3 hours. This is while downloading other stuff, too, and on a day when the servers are getting hammered. Maybe people are just impatient.

Sorry, I'm rambling here about stuff so as not to clutter the deals thread with my jabber.[/QUOTE]

it probably depends on some variables. there are soe days where itll just crawl so ill pause it and start it later and itll be flying.

add me for global agenda. id love some cags to play with. maybe we can start a group if enough of us play.

Hey, I'm relatively new to having the PC and Steam as my mainstay for gaming instead of consoles. (Not necessarily new to -using- Steam, though.)

If anyone is up for playing any of the multiplayer games I own, just add my Steam name: mistbandit

I currently own: Lead and Gold, Serious Sam HD: First Encounter & Second Encounter, Left 4 Dead 2

I will probably soon own if they go on sale: Team Fortress 2, Borderlands, Global Agenda

I'm still beating myself up over not picking up Killing Floor.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Global Agenda goes no subscriptions forever, going to do a Guild Wars type thing with expansions

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/gablog/index.php/2010/06/23/ga-now-sub-free/

If it goes on sale, I full well endorse the game. It's like Tribes meets TF2.[/QUOTE]

Knew that they would. It's only a matter of time before the game goes completely 'F2P.'

If you were in the beta and still have the installation you can just login and play. I think you had to have 10+ hours in beta though...not completely sure.

[quote name='Megazell']Knew that they would. It's only a matter of time before the game goes completely 'F2P.'

If you were in the beta and still have the installation you can just login and play. I think you had to have 10+ hours in beta though...not completely sure.[/QUOTE]

I doubt a full F2P system will come in to play considering they already have an extensive demo. I just feel bad for them not doing this sooner, they've probably lost a huge amount of customers over the original monthly fee.

I really don't like monthly fees. Don't mind paying $10 or $20 (uh, I'm cheap), or even $40 or more if I REALLY want something, but monthly fees kill it for me.

Don't suppose WoW will ever nix the monthly fee... Warhammer On-line, Conan... There are a few I'd enjoy playing. But never paying!

Hey, I have a question. Is it possible to remove and/or block a Steam friend (hopefully just block) without him knowing I blocked him? It's NOT a CAG, just fyi. :) Someone I know in real life :p uhhhh and he's just kind of a dick. Not a bad dude, but I don't wanna play with him and don't really wanna talk to him either, and I'm tired of hiding in offline mode :p

Is that why I never see you online, Jesse? I'd love to play sometime, but you're never there. :p

I'd just remove him, but you can actually block him and then I think he wouldn't know.

[quote name='Logain8955']
On another note, anyone know how to turn down the god damned fucking strobe in Beat Hazard? I swear, one of the patches turned the damn thing up and now I can't play more than 2 songs without my eyes being on fire.[/QUOTE]

It's either an option, or just the lowest difficulty. I forget.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I doubt a full F2P system will come in to play considering they already have an extensive demo. I just feel bad for them not doing this sooner, they've probably lost a huge amount of customers over the original monthly fee.[/QUOTE]

When they do I will send a zombie horde of roamers saying 'Told ya soooo...brains!' You will then have to fend for yourself ;)

Agreed.

does anyone know if the Meridian4 Complete Pack is worth $20 im not expecting any masterpieces but im hopeing ill be able to get my moneys worth also does anyone know if they fixed the lfd2 splitscreen water problem

[quote name='gamez79']does anyone know if the Meridian4 Complete Pack is worth $20 im not expecting any masterpieces but im hopeing ill be able to get my moneys worth also does anyone know if they fixed the lfd2 splitscreen water problem[/QUOTE]

If you think about it as

Okay, moving this TFU discussion to the Steam topic. Which is more than I can say for the other posters after that mod or whoever said so.

[quote name='Teeheehee']When was the last time you played the game at that point? Was it after the latest posted update (Mar. 10)?

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_updates&appids=32430

EDIT: Latest and only patch?[/QUOTE]

I booted it up a few hours ago. It's still got sound issues.

The game is still broken. I know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='Zyrin']I bought the game during it's weekend sale on Steam, beat it twice and all the DLC once. I did not have the sound problem you're describing at any point.

I had the left channel surround sound problem, which I "fixed" by switching to two channel and my headset, along with a couple bugs here and there (worst being the game not transitioning to a cut scene properly, leaving me running around the end of Shaak Ti's level confused until I reloaded to a checkpoint), and being firmly annoyed by the 30 FPS cap.

I'm sorry you got stuck with that sound problem, I really am, but the attitude you're bringing into this thread is a little much. It's a terrible port (really, just saying it was done by Aspyr gives THAT one away) but for this price there's no need to rage on people for wanting to play it regardless.

It also probably hasn't been mentioned, but stay far away from TFU unless you have a 360 controller. Aspyr did the smallest amount of work possible and didn't even add the option to rebind keys in game and stuck it on the loader. In addition, the default controls are awful and when you *do* change the keys they don't update to the new ones for the QTEs. There's also a specific section of the game that's significantly harder with KB/M. It's reeeeally bad.

360 controller works perfectly though.[/QUOTE]

Then maybe you've got a particular sound hardware configuration that agrees with the game. Or maybe you just got lucky. I think it might be some sort of random glitch, actually. The first time the sound acted up for me on the final level, it did so in a slightly different way than it did ever since. Among other things, there was music. After I tried restarting the game in an attempt to fix it, even more sounds were missing, and there was no music.

Hardware configuration or dumb luck, it's a crapshoot, it's a terrible port, and it's broken.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']To be fair, many of the comments on the Steam boards praise this game, and not everyone is having this problem from the comments I have been hearing.[/QUOTE]

Did they even bother playing the game beyond the extent of the first 15 minutes? I doubt it. They probably impulse bought it, played it for a little bit, posted that they had no problems, and forgot the game ever existed. You know how Steam causes us to have backlogs.

Figured I'd better follow suit, although all I wrote was, "For the record, I didn't think Chuplayer was being a troll... Maybe he could have phrased things in a less incendiary fashion, but he didn't mean any harm and was in fact trying to help. He seems a passionate fellow."

Well, assuming he's a he, but either way.

haha sorry! Yeah, that's why I'm always offline. That and I'm always doing laundry and dishes and stuff, back and forth from the PC, and people were getting annoyed at me for weener-teasing.

Or did I not answer you about something else?? I'm frazzled between all the threads.

I beat Chandra just now. WHAM YEAH grizzly bears.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Don't suppose WoW will ever nix the monthly fee...[/quote]
Well, yeah, because a ton of people actually play and remain subscribed to that game, enough for Blizzard to pull in well in excess of a hundred million dollars a month (which represents over half of the entire MMO market). So, Blizzard doesn't have to resort to these stupid measures like going free-to-play-with-premium-items or whatever like all these other shitty MMOs have to do in desperate bids to try and counteract their dwindling player counts.

Not that I don't wish that WoW would die, but, yeah, MMOs that start out with monthly subscriptions never go free-to-play because they want to, or out of the generosity of the operator's hearts.

Hey, I have a question. Is it possible to remove and/or block a Steam friend (hopefully just block) without him knowing I blocked him?
It doesn't send them a big message saying "Hey jesse dylan removed you!" or anything, but all they have to do is notice they you aren't on their friend list anymore.

[quote name='Megazell']When they do I will send a zombie horde of roamers saying 'Told ya soooo...brains!' You will then have to fend for yourself ;)[/QUOTE]
What are you even doing in this thread, exactly? We're talking about buying PC games, in here.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']What are you even doing in this thread, exactly? We're talking about buying PC games, in here.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect.

[quote name='Megazell']Incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Okay, we're talking about a service used to buy games (save for literally just a couple unique freebies).

The conversion is complete. Looks like many of you have accepted the way and are on the path! :lol: Good work! Your decoder rings are in the mail!

Last edited:
Got a couple extra L4D2 games from the 4-pack, if anybody wants in. I'd also be willing to just swap one of them for a L4D1, if for some reason somebody has an extra one from some old 4-pack deal and they'd rather swap it then pay.

Okay I think I have a problem.

Since the sale started I have already bought Zeno Clash, SSHD Double Pack, Ghostbusters, Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000, Cryostasis, Introversion Complete Pack, Overlord Complete Pack, Killing Floor and the Unreal Pack.

I want to pick up the iD pack, Call of Duty pack, Telltale Everything pack and Fallout 3 but waiting to see if any of them become a daily deal. Also want to pick up Batman:AA + Just Cause 2 if either of them goes on a daily deal or the Square Eidos pack if it gets further reduced.

I only got started with Steam back in the last holiday sale. Between that and some of the midweek and weekend sales since then I had about 70 games in my account . Of these I've probably got around to playing 30% for any length of time. I've completed much less than this. To be honest, Civ 4 has got more attention than anything else. I could have probably just bought Civ 4 and the Orange Box and been just as entertained but when I see a good game for $1.50 - $7.50 that I think I might want to play one day I just can't say no. According to Steam Calculator I now have 92 games for a total value of $1443.96 in my account and it's likely to go up most days for the next week or so.

I just added up what I've spent on Steam Games so far. It comes to about $280. That's probably a fair bit more than I would have spent buying old fashioned retail in the same amount of time but it's awesome having a big list of quality games ready to go whenever I want and it makes me feel better about all those games on floppy disk and later CDs my friends and I used to share.

Buying games on Steam has almost become a game in itself - trying to get the maximum amount of gaming goodness for the lowest price possible. Packs, daily deals and other non-holiday sales make for some difficult decisions.

What are the chances of that Call of Duty pack getting any cheaper? It's already 75% off but it's normally a bit overpriced I reckon. The possibility that there might be some crazy 80-90% off deal has made me hold back until now. I'll probably wait until the last day just in case but given how stingy Activision can be at times and how big the discount is I'm a little worried they'll pull the pin on the deal before then.

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']Got a couple extra L4D2 games from the 4-pack, if anybody wants in. I'd also be willing to just swap one of them for a L4D1, if for some reason somebody has an extra one from some old 4-pack deal and they'd rather swap it then pay.[/QUOTE]

Can I get in on this one as long as you aren't in Australia like me? We only get a crappy censored version if we buy from the AU store.

EVE is a great buy for $2. I played through my 2 weeks of the demo and decided it wasn't for me considering the monthly fee but it's good fun if you've got a good corp to roll with.

Nothing for me today though.

EDIT: Neat trick from the Reddit comments.

I haven't played EVE in a while, but if this Steam sale works like the previous ones, I'd like to point out that this allows you to effectively get as many months of EVE as you'd like for your existing accounts for $2/month. Just use the refer-a-friend program to invite a junk email account, then activate the account by purchasing through steam. The referring account will get a month of free game time, and as an added bonus, you get a 45-day alt as well. Once your throwaway account has subscribed, your main account gets its referral program invites back, so you can do this as many times as you like.

So I bought the Civ IV pack, just to have it on Steam instead of Impulse (...... don't look at me like that). But now I see that Steam has put a bunch of extra, greyed out Civ items on there. Multiples of each of them, I think. An extra Beyond the Sword, extra Warlords, etc. Why? They don't do anything. They just sit there, cluttering my list. Any ideas?

Also, YES, Gothic bundle! This is hilarious to me, because I almost bought them both at their sale prices. Now I got them for $2 total. And Flotilla. Hope I like it, but if not, eh, $2. Pardon my paragraph of blah blah, please.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']So I bought the Civ IV pack, just to have it on Steam instead of Impulse (...... don't look at me like that). But now I see that Steam has put a bunch of extra, greyed out Civ items on there. Multiples of each of them, I think. An extra Beyond the Sword, extra Warlords, etc. Why? They don't do anything. They just sit there, cluttering my list. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure those extra greyed out ones are the mac versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buncha crap on sale today. Why OG HL isn't free at this point I have no idea. It was a great game, but I don't think I'd ever pay for it in 2010 (assuming I didn't own it).

[quote name='El Gray']Anyone wanna vouch for KANE & LYNCH being worth $5?[/QUOTE]
I would grab it for $5 but its 7.5€ here so i'm kinda doubting...

[quote name='SEH']Why OG HL isn't free at this point I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not exactly standard industry practice for games to go freeware after hitting 10+ years of age, or anything. Why should HL be any exception?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, it's not exactly standard industry practice for games to go freeware after hitting 10+ years of age, or anything. Why should HL be any exception?[/QUOTE]

Because Megazell compels it to?

[quote name='El Gray']Anyone wanna vouch for KANE & LYNCH being worth $5?[/QUOTE]

Buyer beware regarding it working on your rig. My system SHOULD run it pretty well but it's near unplayable and abandoned by the devs, so don't expect any patches either. Disappointing because it seems like fun.

[quote name='theGieche']Pretty sure those extra greyed out ones are the mac versions.[/QUOTE]
Ah, okay! Thanks. Kinda obtrusive, though. It won't let me install them, so obviously it knows I don't have a Mac... so I wonder why they show up at all? Oh well.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Ah, okay! Thanks. Kinda obtrusive, though. It won't let me install them, so obviously it knows I don't have a Mac... so I wonder why they show up at all? Oh well.[/QUOTE]

It's a glitch, basically. For some reason, they weren't able to get both the PC and Mac versions of the CivIV games in a single Steam AppID entry, so, as a (hopefully) temporary solution, they've had to make them entirely separate entries, meaning that for now, they show up twice in your games list.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, it's not exactly standard industry practice for games to go freeware after hitting 10+ years of age, or anything. Why should HL be any exception?[/QUOTE]

It just seems odd that HL wouldnt be something that Valve would give away just for creating a Steam account. It's old, cheap, and like THE game that launched Valve, it seems like a prime candidate to be a freebie. Don't act like they haven't been known to give away some of their games before.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Any thoughts on the Space Rangers games, particularly the second one? Got shockingly good reviews.[/QUOTE]

It's shockingly good.

I better wait til the last day anyhow. Never thought Gothic would be a daily, but there it was, by gum, and I'm glad I waited. Not like I'll have time to play any of these anyway.

Tho Space Rangers 2 looks so cool I just might. What about the first one?

If anyone has an extra copy of Left 4 Dead 2 from a 4-pack, I'd like to take it. Forgot to get one for somebody.

Today's deals aren't bad. But I really wish the Half Life 1 expansions were on sale for less too.

[quote name='theGieche']
Buying games on Steam has almost become a game in itself - trying to get the maximum amount of gaming goodness for the lowest price possible. Packs, daily deals and other non-holiday sales make for some difficult decisions.
[/QUOTE]

I hear you on that--I have all these games I've installed, but never ran, and games I haven't even installed yet. I used to pick up oldies like AvP for the cheap price, but now I think why bother? there are plenty of recent hits that go on sale for a couple bucks more, not to mention indie games...its the reason I skipped on iD pack--doubt I'd play more than an hour of any of the dooms combined.

bread's done
Back