The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='freddy_']About that MNC game... dont get why ppl are excited about it, looks like just a tf2 copy :p[/QUOTE]

Why yes, a class-based game that isn't photo-realistic. Automatically a TF2 clone. Nevermind the fact that the gameplay is vastly different from TF2, because hey, everything is a TF2 clone, these days, right?

[quote name='freddy_']Yay Limbo ;D
About that MNC game... dont get why ppl are excited about it, looks like just a tf2 copy :p[/QUOTE]

Sure the art style may be very similar, but the gameplay is a bit different. It's basically a TF2-styled third person shooter version of DotA (or Demigod, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, whathaveyou). Watch some of the developer walkthrough vids. You'll see it's not quite the same as TF2. And it looks damn fun to boot.

Here, I'll even give you the links since I'm so nice:

Gametrailers: Developer Walkthrough Part I
Gametrailers: Developer Walkthrough Part II

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Why yes, a class-based game that isn't photo-realistic. Automatically a TF2 clone. Nevermind the fact that the gameplay is vastly different from TF2, because hey, everything is a TF2 clone, these days, right?[/QUOTE]

Lol, win.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, Knights of the Old Republic for $2.49 was pretty much irresistable, and I think both Empire at War and Battlefront II were great deals at $4.99 each.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks. I already have a hard copy of KOTOR and someone unexpectedly gifted me a copy of it. Wish we could re-gift, 'cause that's not the first time it's happened.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Why yes, a class-based game that isn't photo-realistic. Automatically a TF2 clone. Nevermind the fact that the gameplay is vastly different from TF2, because hey, everything is a TF2 clone, these days, right?[/QUOTE]

I hate these sweeping generalizations.

"durp dat game looks cartoony wat a tf2 ripoff"

*sigh* I saw one of the dev walktrough before I wrote it and no I dont think every class based game is a tf2 copy.
Sometimes you guys are fucking assholes.

Thanks for posting the upcoming release list Coffee. There are some really awesome games down the pipeline for steam. I hate it when these xbla exclusives never show up on PC even though they'd be perfectly suited but at least Limbo is going multi-platform.

[quote name='freddy_']*sigh* I saw one of the dev walktrough before I wrote it and no I dont think every class based game is a tf2 copy.
Sometimes you guys are fucking assholes.[/QUOTE]

The ":p" in your original post didn't give it away enough

[quote name='freddy_']*sigh* I saw one of the dev walktrough before I wrote it and no I dont think every class based game is a tf2 copy.

Well, it doesn't play like Team Fortress 2. What else do you want?

[youtube]rkPD1TXfEo4[/youtube]

Faerie Solitaire is a cheap like card game that's on sale for $3.49. It might be cool for people who like solitaire (barf) and would like it dressed up a little bit. And hey, Steam Achievements.

Also Puzzle Quest 2's regular price has dropped to $14.99, as it always should have been. This bodes well for future sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Then support your argument, don't call people assholes.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Sure the art style may be very similar, but the gameplay is a bit different. It's basically a TF2-styled third person shooter version of DotA (or Demigod, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, whathaveyou). Watch some of the developer walkthrough vids. You'll see it's not quite the same as TF2. And it looks damn fun to boot.

Here, I'll even give you the links since I'm so nice:

Gametrailers: Developer Walkthrough Part I
Gametrailers: Developer Walkthrough Part II

Lol, win.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I thought Duke's response was more helpful, and agree with freddy to a point...I too thought it was a TF2 clone too, but didn't see "Dota" tossed around anywhere, and that would have cleared up the confusion.

I've been a LoL junkie lately, going to have to check this one out...also have an Xbox360, but....not really interested in paying for Live anymore, when most of the great games have a way of finding their way onto steam, discounted, and without the fee for Live.

I'm getting more and more annoyed that MNC is coming to PC. Could have definitely waited since I'm building a new gaming pc next week (parts in the mail atm!). MNC on 360 will eventually fade into history while the PC version could potentially have a long time user base (no live sub, potentially cheaper at some point).

[quote name='iRent']I'm getting more and more annoyed that MNC is coming to PC. Could have definitely waited since I'm building a new gaming pc next week (parts in the mail atm!). MNC on 360 will eventually fade into history while the PC version could potentially have a long time user base (no live sub, potentially cheaper at some point).[/QUOTE]

MNC was going to have a finite life on 360 no matter what, since someday, the Xbox 360 LIVE servers will inevitably be shut down. I think it's great that it's coming to PC, where it could really have a chance to shine.

Uh, so... GOG just randomly shut down. Overnight.

No notice or anything.

I hope and pray some of those games, like Master of Magic, are going to make their way to Steam, because I never grabbed them.

Maybe you should also make a separate thread in the PC section for it as well (like you did in the deals forums)?

I thought GoG was a popular site and was doing well. Blame it on the economy.

[quote name='kilm']Maybe you should also make a separate thread in the PC section for it as well (like you did in the deals forums)?

I thought GoG was a popular site and was doing well. Blame it on the economy.[/QUOTE]

I was going to, but now it's apparently looking to be a PR stunt.

I'm glad Valve doesn't do this to its customers. Now I am hoping that some of these games make their way over to Steam... this has just shown me how quickly these sites can disappear, and I doubt Valve is going anywhere anytime soon.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']MNC was going to have a finite life on 360 no matter what, since someday, the Xbox 360 LIVE servers will inevitably be shut down. I think it's great that it's coming to PC, where it could really have a chance to shine.[/QUOTE]

Oh I definitely knew that going into it anyway. I thought it was just going to be an XBLA/console exclusive. I definitely could have waited for it had I known it was coming out on PC since I'm going to be building a very capable one in the next few days.

[quote name='animalspinners']I was going to, but now it's apparently looking to be a PR stunt.

I'm glad Valve doesn't do this to its customers. Now I am hoping that some of these games make their way over to Steam... this has just shown me how quickly these sites can disappear, and I doubt Valve is going anywhere anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm also thinking it's a PR stunt as they're supposed to be doing some event on the 22nd, pretty weak stunt though as I'm sure they'll have a lot of angry customers.

[quote name='animalspinners']Uh, so... GOG just randomly shut down. Overnight.[/QUOTE]

It's a PR stunt. They're just going out of "beta," finally.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's a PR stunt. They're just going out of "beta," finally.[/QUOTE]

A retarded PR stunt. Someone like me, who is already weary of digital distribution sites like them shutting down, may take it seriously and become confused.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think it's a PR stunt. From the tone of their letter, it's donesville.

If it's a PR stunt, they're going to lose a lot of customers, myself included. Maybe it's Polish humor. :)

Quick update: The unknown game from Digital Ranch I mentioned is Dino D-Day: Episode 1 (and I presume there will more episodes to follow). It's what it sounds like: a WWII FPS, but with dinosaurs. It started out as a short Source engine mod, which served as the prototype. The version coming to Steam is an all-new, full-blown, standalone game, with singleplayer campaign and multiplayer.

I know that "everything + zombies" is kind of the trend these days, but I'm definitely down to see more dinosaurs in games, just to have some variety. Also dinosaurs are pretty awesome.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Quick update: The unknown game from Digital Ranch I mentioned is Dino D-Day: Episode 1 (and I presume there will more episodes to follow). It's what it sounds like: a WWII FPS, but with dinosaurs. It started out as a short Source engine mod, which served as the prototype. The version coming to Steam is an all-new, full-blown, standalone game, with singleplayer campaign and multiplayer.

I know that "everything + zombies" is kind of the trend these days, but I'm definitely down to see more dinosaurs in games, just to have some variety. Also dinosaurs are pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Quick update: The unknown game from Digital Ranch I mentioned is Dino D-Day: Episode 1 (and I presume there will more episodes to follow). It's what it sounds like: a WWII FPS, but with dinosaurs. It started out as a short Source engine mod, which served as the prototype. The version coming to Steam is an all-new, full-blown, standalone game, with singleplayer campaign and multiplayer.

I know that "everything + zombies" is kind of the trend these days, but I'm definitely down to see more dinosaurs in games, just to have some variety. Also dinosaurs are pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

You ever tried 'Dinohunters'?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
I know that "everything + (zombies or bacon)" is kind of the trend these days, but I'm definitely down to see more dinosaurs in games, just to have some variety. Also dinosaurs are pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

I fixed that for you. And I concur: more dinosaurs would definitely be a good thing.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yes, and it's fucking awful, like so much freeware trash.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you've been hurt in the past. LOL

Episode 7 to 12 was pretty good though it can be a bit complex for some people.

[quote name='Megazell']Sounds like you've been hurt in the past. LOL

Episode 7 to 12 was pretty good though it can be a bit complex for some people.[/QUOTE]

Uh, I'm just saying that there are a lot of bad freeware games out there, so, no, it doesn't have anything to do with any "hurt." Look, I'm down with good freeware games, but seriously, Kuma makes nothing but garbage. I'm not going to play garbage just because it's free.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, there are a lot of bad freeware games out there,. so, no, it doesn't have anything to do with any "hurt." Look, I'm down with freeware games, but seriously, Kuma makes nothing but garbage. I'm not going to play garbage just because it's free.[/QUOTE]

Seriously.

I hear you. They did make some awful games in the beginning.

Some of their later episode of Dinohunters are really funny and have some great FPS moments. The chase down by the 3 T-rex is cool. Reminded me of an arcade game.

So I'm strongly considering buying Civilization V, even though I've never played a Civ game before. I have watched videos of it and it just looks like a ton of fun to me. I think the demo is supposed to come out tomorrow, hopefully it makes it out soon on Steam, I need to play it and make sure my PC can handle this game ok.

[quote name='cgarb84']So I'm strongly considering buying Civilization V, even though I've never played a Civ game before. I have watched videos of it and it just looks like a ton of fun to me. I think the demo is supposed to come out tomorrow, hopefully it makes it out soon on Steam, I need to play it and make sure my PC can handle this game ok.[/QUOTE]
from what i know, all of Sid Meier's games don't require hefty sys specs. I got Civ V preloaded the past 3 days and can't wait til it unlocks. :)

[quote name='henrylin22']from what i know, all of Sid Meier's games don't require hefty sys specs. I got Civ V preloaded the past 3 days and can't wait til it unlocks. :)[/QUOTE]

Well actually a lot of reviewers are reporting that Civ V is pretty system intensive. The Joystiq guys went so far as to say if you do not meet the recommended(not minimum but recommended!)specs that you are going to have problems. However on the bright side, the demo dropped today! So my suggestion is to do like I am doing if you are worried about your system not running Civ V and download the demo. Chances are if you run the demo well you will run the full game well ;)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']If you didn't already make the conclusion yourself, GOG's deal is a stunt.[/QUOTE]

Should have just released this with from the beginning with a blog post explaining the upcoming changes. Sure would be better than the, "Here's a confusing message! You figure it out!" tactic they employed.

Two questions.

1. Civ V is one of those games that you can buy a physical copy of and it comes with a code to register it for steam right?

2. If this is true, what stops people with games like this from buying the game, registering it on steam so they have it permanently on steam and then selling the Physical copy to recoup money?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Two questions.

1. Civ V is one of those games that you can buy a physical copy of and it comes with a code to register it for steam right?

2. If this is true, what stops people with games like this from buying the game, registering it on steam so they have it permanently on steam and then selling the Physical copy to recoup money?[/QUOTE]

1. yes, once you register the game on steam, you pretty much make the disk useless except for if you want to install the game offline.

2. Because it's fraud.

[quote name='kilm']1. yes, once you register the game on steam, you pretty much make the disk useless except for if you want to install the game offline.

2. Because it's fraud.[/QUOTE]

How is it fraud? Questionable? Yes. Wrong? Possibly. Fraud? Does not seem like it to me. You bought a game registered it then chose to sell it. Not saying I am planing on doing this(though its tempting)but it does not seem like fraud by any means.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How is it fraud? Questionable? Yes. Wrong? Possibly. Fraud? Does not seem like it to me. You bought a game registered it then chose to sell it. Not saying I am planing on doing this(though its tempting)but it does not seem like fraud by any means.[/QUOTE]

It would be fraud if you misled people into thinking they'd actually be buying a copy of the game that they would be able to register and play.

[quote name='Brownjohn']It would be fraud if you misled people into thinking they'd actually be buying a copy of the game that they would be able to register and play.[/QUOTE]

That part is indeed true. However, I never said resell or return the game and not state the code is used. So again, if you bought a copy of the game at retail then registered it on steam and finally sold it to someone else for $30 or something without the code(and them aware it has no code). How is that fraud?

Final question, where is the code located? I love having physical copies of things just to collect(and actually I am thinking of buying the Collectors edition which id never sell anyways)but I prefer playing through steam for ease of use.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How is it fraud? Questionable? Yes. Wrong? Possibly. Fraud? Does not seem like it to me. You bought a game registered it then chose to sell it. Not saying I am planing on doing this(though its tempting)but it does not seem like fraud by any means.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you're right. I assumed you were going to sell it as a full product.

If you told other people that you won't be able to actually play the game and they know full well of this and know what they're getting, then it isn't fraud.

To answer your question as to why people don't do this, it's because there is no (or an incredibly small) market for used PC games. People who are looking for used PC games typically know better than to just buy a useless disk.

Got my Lara Croft demo key today. Downloading it right now. After hearing so much positive stuff about this game, I'm pretty pumped to check it out.

OK i just played Civ V and from what I can tell it runs wonderful on a 8600GT 6GB RAM 2.6GHZ AMD Athlon X4 at high textures, medium fog and medium shadows, medium water, high detail terrain, no AA, medium detail leaders (i would say high, but the aztec leader has a bunch of fire going on so the fps drops.) The lowest it goes is about about 32-33 fps while it runs smoothly from 35-40fps.

[quote name='kilm']I suppose you're right. I assumed you were going to sell it as a full product.

If you told other people that you won't be able to actually play the game and they know full well of this and know what they're getting, then it isn't fraud.

To answer your question as to why people don't do this, it's because there is no (or an incredibly small) market for used PC games. People who are looking for used PC games typically know better than to just buy a useless disk.[/QUOTE]

Why is it a useless disk? If they can not install the steam version, but can still install the game and play it on their PC then how is it a useless disk? Selling a game to someone without the steam activation key is more akin to selling a collectors edition without one of the collectors items. That is unless when you activate the steam version you can no longer play the disk version.

[quote name='henrylin22']OK i just played Civ V and from what I can tell it runs wonderful on a 8600GT 6GB RAM 2.6GHZ AMD Athlon X4 at high textures, medium fog and medium shadows, medium water, high detail terrain, no AA, medium detail leaders (i would say high, but the aztec leader has a bunch of fire going on so the fps drops.) The lowest it goes is about about 32-33 fps while it runs smoothly from 35-40fps.[/QUOTE]

I will confirm this as well. My PC is about 3-4 years old and my CPU came in at under the min requirements to play Civ V yet it is still running very well for me. I had one or two spots where the FPS dipped for all of 4 or 5 seconds but in the last hour 59 mins of that has played flawless.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Why is it a useless disk? If they can not install the steam version, but can still install the game and play it on their PC then how is it a useless disk? Selling a game to someone without the steam activation key is more akin to selling a collectors edition without one of the collectors items. That is unless when you activate the steam version you can no longer play the disk version.[/QUOTE]

I said that the market for used PC games is small to non-existent. People who look for used PC games will see the disk as useless because they'll be more savvy and cautious about buying these products. They'll also be able to download it through Steam if they are at all familiar with PC games which they should be (and again no one is looking for used Steam-activated disks). What you're talking about is an unlikely scenario and if you're willing to waste time trying to hit a jackpot worth chump change, go for it. This is what stops people from selling and buying worthless disks.

What are you talking about Collector's Editions? Is that what you're selling? The extras? That's a whole different story than reselling the disk. So are you changing your story?

You can't play the disk version regardless because it requires Steam to play. The disk only acts as an install.

[quote name='kilm']I said that the market for used PC games is small to non-existent. People who look for used PC games will see the disk as useless because they'll be more savvy and cautious about buying these products. They'll also be able to download it through Steam if they are at all familiar with PC games which they should be (and again no one is looking for used Steam-activated disks). What you're talking about is an unlikely scenario and if you're willing to waste time trying to hit a jackpot worth chump change, go for it. This is what stops people from selling and buying worthless disks.

What are you talking about Collector's Editions? Is that what you're selling? The extras? That's a whole different story than reselling the disk. So are you changing your story?

You can't play the disk version regardless because it requires Steam to play. The disk only acts as an install.[/QUOTE]

*rolls his eyes*

I never said I was looking to sell my copy. If anything I stated from the start I was curious. I do not own a copy yet and the reason I mentioned the collectors edition was because it is the version I am leaning towards buying. Next time before you jump down someones throat for doing something you do not agree with make sure they are really doing what you think they are........assuming is a bad habit to get into.

[quote name='MSI Magus']*rolls his eyes*

I never said I was looking to sell my copy. If anything I stated from the start I was curious. I do not own a copy yet and the reason I mentioned the collectors edition was because it is the version I am leaning towards buying. Next time before you jump down someones throat for doing something you do not agree with make sure they are really doing what you think they are........assuming is a bad habit to get into.[/QUOTE]

So you originally asked what stops people from selling physical copies and then you started getting mad at me because what you really wanted to know was whether or not it was possible to sell physical copies + special edition extras. You asked the wrong question and you got mad at me for it?

lolumad

[quote name='kilm']So you originally asked what stops people from selling physical copies and then you started getting mad at me because what you really wanted to know was whether or not it was possible to sell physical copies + special edition extras. You asked the wrong question and you got mad at me for it?

lolumad[/QUOTE]

First off I am not mad. Second off you assumed I was looking to sell my copy. Asking about something does not mean you intend to do something. My father in law is a cop and I ask him questions all the time about legal things, he does not assume I am planning on breaking those laws the way you seemed to assume I was going to here.

As I said, next time do not assume things.

bread's done
Back