The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

First console port in a LONG time that's actually been handled very well. The devs actually listen to PC users when it comes to patching the game and giving us what we want. My only big gripe is the fact that the game runs at like 40-50fps with a sound card enabled. If I turn the sound off I get like 150+fps. They have acknowledged this though, so hopefully it gets fixed soon.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am guessing MNC does not have any sort of offline play?[/QUOTE]

It does. Its got a hoard mode type game where you try to protect your money ball as long as possible against endless waves of bots.

[quote name='SEH']It does. Its got a hoard mode type game where you try to protect your money ball as long as possible against endless waves of bots.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I can not stand when games are online only.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thanks! I can not stand when games are online only.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, though, that while it does have that offline mode, it's still a very online-centric game..

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I've been trying to hold off as long as I can on getting MNC, and if it's a midweek/weekend deal, I may just have to bite.[/QUOTE]

With the Square Enix sale this week, looks like I'll have to wait just a bit for a sale on this. That's ok though, it's only been out 3 weeks and a 50% sale may be a bit too much to expect.

I just want to say that, for anyone even remotely interested and hasn't played it yet, you MUST pick up Batman: Arkham Asylum. I played it over the weekend on my 360, and was absolutely amazed at how utterly GOOD it was. It was the first comic-based video game that I've played in a long time that didn't feel like it was just put out to milk the series. It really was a very solid, well made game.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I just want to say that, for anyone even remotely interested and hasn't played it yet, you MUST pick up Batman: Arkham Asylum. I played it over the weekend on my 360, and was absolutely amazed at how utterly GOOD it was. It was the first comic-based video game that I've played in a long time that didn't feel like it was just put out to milk the series. It really was a very solid, well made game.[/QUOTE]

If you're actually going to pick up this game over the PC, then I highly suggest using a game controller. The mouse/keyboard control scheme is garbage, and I held off playing this game until I got a Saitek Cyborg Rumble Pad. Made the game 10x easier to play too.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, an Xbox 360 controller or another gamepad would be the best way to play Batman.[/QUOTE]
Very much true. I can't fathom trying to play it with a keyboard/mouse, and I normally prefer that over anything else. The game just wasn't designed for it.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Very much true. I can't fathom trying to play it with a keyboard/mouse, and I normally prefer that over anything else. The game just wasn't designed for it.[/QUOTE]
camera control was vastly superior with the mouse though.
the controls overall work much better with the controller.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, an Xbox 360 controller or another gamepad would be the best way to play Batman.[/QUOTE]

I would say an Xbox 360 controller is pretty much a must for any PC gamer anyways these days. There are a lot of games that handle great with the keyboard and mouse, but there are just as many or more that play better with a controller.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I would say an Xbox 360 controller is pretty much a must for any PC gamer anyways these days. There are a lot of games that handle great with the keyboard and mouse, but there are just as many or more that play better with a controller.[/QUOTE]

Holding out for a Razer Onza. Stupid Microsoft making every controller wireless these days and now they don't even make the wireless PC receiver, I'd rather just get a much better controller.

Are people honestly excited for Duke Nukem? I was talking about this with my friends awhile back. Its not 1996 anymore where its shocking for a game to have tits or curse words in it. Rather than make a good shooter it seems they've just focused on "hey guys, theres naked chicks in our game and he says fuck a lot". Like, does that make anyone over the age of 10 excited about a game nowadays?

I've watched gameplay videos and thats all that it has going for it. Thats fine as long as the game is good, but it just looks so incredibly generic.

[quote name='SEH']Are people honestly excited for Duke Nukem? I was talking about this with my friends awhile back. Its not 1996 anymore where its shocking for a game to have tits or curse words in it. Rather than make a good shooter it seems they've just focused on "hey guys, theres naked chicks in our game and he says fuck a lot". Like, does that make anyone over the age of 10 excited about a game nowadays?

I've watched gameplay videos and thats all that it has going for it. Thats fine as long as the game is good, but it just looks so incredibly generic.[/QUOTE]

You can't have Duke Nukem without any of those things. It just...wouldn't be Duke Nukem.

[quote name='eastx']I don't think adults stop liking breasts, man. It's actually supposed to be the other way around.[/QUOTE]

If I want tits...I'm on the internet. I'd rather see some real tits than some shitty looking polygons. I play games for a good gaming experience.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']You can't have Duke Nukem without any of those things. It just...wouldn't be Duke Nukem.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I said if they want to do that, its fine, but also make sure the game is good. All the videos have it looking incredibly generic. Its not Gerbox's fault since they're taking over someone else's work and didn't have a ton of time, but it doesnt change the fact that the game looks so lame.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Duke Nukem Forever has been confirmed as a Steamworks title!
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=117553

Thus, all retail copies will be activatable on Steam. I'll definitely be buying the Balls of Steel Edition now.[/QUOTE]

There is also no other DRM except for activating on Steam.

Sweet, now to determine if I want to go retail regular, BOSE, or digital Steam.

I have to buy this game at launch or give a friend of mine a game of equal value or 50 bucks. We have had this wager going ever since the game went into development hell in 97'. I told him if the game ever comes out I will buy it no matter what platform. If I don't buy it I have to buy him a game or give him 50 dollars.

[quote name='SEH']
Which is why I said if they want to do that, its fine, but also make sure the game is good. All the videos have it looking incredibly generic. Its not Gerbox's fault since they're taking over someone else's work and didn't have a ton of time, but it doesnt change the fact that the game looks so lame.[/QUOTE]

Duke never had good art direction, but it's stayed in everyone's hearts for a reason. Losing the attitude would doom the game to failing. But if ya don't like Duke, ya don't like it. It's okay to sit this one out.

[quote name='SEH']Which is why I said if they want to do that, its fine, but also make sure the game is good. All the videos have it looking incredibly generic. Its not Gerbox's fault since they're taking over someone else's work and didn't have a ton of time, but it doesnt change the fact that the game looks so lame.[/QUOTE]

It's not like they set out to make a highly-original innovative FPS that will change the face of gaming. They set out to make a Duke Nukem game with all of its over the top violence, immature humor and nudity.

But some people don't like that, and whatevs, that's cool.

[quote name='SEH']Are people honestly excited for Duke Nukem? I was talking about this with my friends awhile back. Its not 1996 anymore where its shocking for a game to have tits or curse words in it. Rather than make a good shooter it seems they've just focused on "hey guys, theres naked chicks in our game and he says fuck a lot". Like, does that make anyone over the age of 10 excited about a game nowadays?

I've watched gameplay videos and thats all that it has going for it. Thats fine as long as the game is good, but it just looks so incredibly generic.[/QUOTE]

For anyone who wasn't a moron just in it for the tits and cursing, what really defined Duke Nukem 3D as a game wasn't just the content, it was the (at the time) phenomenally interactive and game world, the variety of the environments, and the fantastically creative weapons. There was nothing else like it. Duke Forever looks to be keeping in line with this, if you actually look at it.

It's really annoying when people only talk about Duke's humor, without giving 3D Realms credit for all of the innovations they made in the FPS genre. They can easily lay claim to being the second-most innovative studio in the FPS genre, after Valve. Vehicles, turrets, "set-pieces," highly interactive environments, and sticky bombs are just a few of the things they did first.

[quote name='Spartan V07']hey coffeeedge, any update of FF 7 or the dreamcast titles coming next week?[/QUOTE]

No. Honestly, I probably won't have any other information on those, until such time that they just suddenly appear on the store, if ever. Sorry.

Stop trolling.

Duke Nukem Forever will be the most epic game I play in a long time and there's a lot of reasons it will be. TNA is just a bonus and even if they were omitted it wouldn't be a big deal.

[quote name='AndrewCP']Stop trolling.

Duke Nukem Forever will be the most epic game I play in a long time and there's a lot of reasons it will be. TNA is just a bonus and even if they were omitted it wouldn't be a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Becuase I was defintely trolling, not making a valid argument/point or anything. :roll:

I love that any time someone posts something that a person doesn't agree with its automatically trolling. To those who didnt respond like man children, thank you.

I can see why people are all over it, that's just a generational thing I missed because there's no way my folks would've let Duke in my house at that time.

I don't, however, think it'll be a great game. I think it'll be a good game, just nothing mind boggling.

[quote name='SEH']...

Becuase I was defintely trolling, not making a valid argument/point or anything. :roll:

I love that any time someone posts something that a person doesn't agree with its automatically trolling. To those who didnt respond like man children, thank you.[/QUOTE]

Cause you make some false accusations of the game cuz.

[quote name='AndrewCP']Cause you make some false accusations of the game cuz.[/QUOTE]

k bro.

Saying the games are mainly based around doodie jokes, curse words, and titties is a false accusation? As I said, since it seems hard for you to read, I know thats what Duke is about and including that stuff is fine. HOWEVER, the game needs to be good as well. Fart sounds and tits only gets you so far.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, that is somewhat false.[/QUOTE]

I've played Duke games before. They're 75% nudity, dirty jokes, and swear words. I'm not saying there isn't an action game to be played in there, but most of their appeal is exactly what I mentioned.

It's clear there are a bunch of fans of the Duke Nukem games here, that's fine. I hope you all enjoy the game when it comes out.

[quote name='SEH']I've played Duke games before. They're 75% nudity, dirty jokes, and swear words. I'm not saying there isn't an action game to be played in there, but most of their appeal is exactly what I mentioned.

It's clear there are a bunch of fans of the Duke Nukem games here, that's fine. I hope you all enjoy the game when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

Well it wouldn't be DN now would it?

It's the same with Postal or Serious Sam, so I don't know why you're thinking that DN should be above something that it's not definately striving for.

Either you're not going to like it or not. But it seems you've already made up your mind.

I've played the 2D, I've played the 3D, and they were not bad. Scripted and the hooky add-ons were fine, but what it excelled in was being better than any other generic FPS at that time. It just stayed around till HL came along and finally knocked it over for the title.

I think with the span of say 15 years... it's on everyone's mind to want to play it, no matter what.

[quote name='SEH']Saying the games are mainly based around doodie jokes, curse words, and titties is a false accusation?[/quote]
It's an inappropriate accusation for you to make about Duke Nukem Forever at this time, since you haven't played it. And yes, it really is just plain wrong to ignore what a high-quality and innovative game Duke 3D was, or deny that this quality and innovation was a key component of the game.

HOWEVER, the game needs to be good as well. Fart sounds and tits only gets you so far.
Well then, it's a good thing that not one of 3D Realms' games (remember, they've only really developed Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, and half-developed Blood) have relied on just crude content alone. All three were incredible FPSes, in their time.

Edit:
Okay, never mind. If you really think that all that there is to Duke3D is "75% nudity, dirty jokes, and swear words," then you wouldn't know a good FPS in it's time, if it punched you in the throat. You might as well be saying that "DOOM is 75% demons, heavy metal, and chainsaws," ignoring the huge innovations and incredible map design, or that "Portal is 75% humor, cubes, and songs," ignoring it's unique storytelling and puzzle design, or that "Half-Life 2 is 75% crowbars, G-men, and techno," ignoring the fact that it's motherfucking Half-Life 2.

Maybe you're just the kind of gamer who is content-centric, rather than gameplay-centric, and that's just what stands out to you. If so, fine, whatever, bye, Call of Duty is that way. ------->

I'm more upset by the supposed 2 weapons at a time and regenerating health more than anything. Although I guess in Duke 3D's case it didn't have the weapon versatility of Doom. Most people I've seen playing Duke 3D stuck to shotgun and ripper most of the time and occasionally whipped out pipebombs (Due to cool map design that generally had areas for you to sneak into pipebombing range if you wanted) or other weapons. If they mess up the map design in DNF though I'll be very cross. That's something I've never felt modern shooters have done as well, though. Compare the variety and depth of levels in Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood to basically anything else. Especially Blood, all manner of silly crap like a moving train, carnival, The Shining-esque hotel. All relatively freeform.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's an inappropriate accusation for you to make about Duke Nukem Forever at this time, since you haven't played it. And yes, it really is just plain wrong to ignore what a high-quality and innovative game Duke 3D was, or deny that this quality and innovation was a key component of the game.

Well then, it's a good thing that not one of 3D Realms' games (remember, they've only really developed Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, and half-developed Blood) have relied on just crude content alone. All three were incredible FPSes, in their time.

Edit:
Okay, never mind. If you really think that all that there is to Duke3D is "75% nudity, dirty jokes, and swear words," then you wouldn't know a good FPS in it's time, if it punched you in the throat. You might as well be saying that "DOOM is 75% demons, heavy metal, and chainsaws," ignoring the huge innovations and incredible map design, or that "Portal is 75% humor, cubes, and songs," ignoring it's unique storytelling and puzzle design, or that "Half-Life 2 is 75% crowbars, G-men, and techno," ignoring the fact that it's motherfucking Half-Life 2.

Maybe you're just the kind of gamer who is content-centric, rather than gameplay-centric, and that's just what stands out to you. If so, fine, whatever, bye, Call of Duty is that way. ------->[/QUOTE]

Damn, don't be so butthurt bro. I take it you've missed where I said I prefer games that actually play well, while saying the videos for Duke look very average to me. Thanks for the played out "GO PLAY COD THEN DOOD" line though, you definitely don't sound like a tool when you throw that out there.

If you're excited for Duke and are buying it, awesome, good for you. I hope you get what you want with the game. I however will not be purchasing it.

Oh, and talking about Duke in the same sentence with HL2...major laughs there.

Hey Everyone,

I got a chat request from this guy.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198020265011/

He's part of the CAG Alien Swarm group. BUT, he wanted me to click a link for a hacked Steam Account and claims of free Steam Games. Just thought I would give you all a heads up. I am not a fan of people trying to gain the system. Especially a great system like Steam. Without Steam, PC Gaming would not be as awesome as it is today.

[quote name='jim5364']Hey Everyone,

He's part of the CAG Alien Swarm group. BUT, he wanted me to click a link for a hacked Steam Account and claims of free Steam Games. Just thought I would give you all a heads up. I am not a fan of people trying to gain the system. Especially a great system like Steam. Without Steam, PC Gaming would not be as awesome as it is today.[/QUOTE]

You should screenshot your chat log and report this cat to STEAM.

[quote name='jim5364']Hey Everyone,

He's part of the CAG Alien Swarm group. BUT, he wanted me to click a link for a hacked Steam Account and claims of free Steam Games. Just thought I would give you all a heads up. I am not a fan of people trying to gain the system. Especially a great system like Steam. Without Steam, PC Gaming would not be as awesome as it is today.[/QUOTE]

It's a common problem with public groups.

Just want to say a couple of words about Gish. A lot of you should have it as it came in the Humble Indie Bundle #2. I started playing it last night in an attempt to continue plowing through the indie games i have bloating up my library.

The game is fun, but the controls are a bit clunky. As you're a ball of tar, you have to press down first, then jump, then down again and jump at the right time. This can take some getting used to as it doesn't always work like it should and later on in the game you have to do split-second jumps or it's into a pit of lava/spikes for you.

Speaking of dying, they have the archaic "lives" system. If you lose all your lives, well then too bad, because you're going back to the beginning of the world. It's incredibly frustrating when it happens. I'm all for difficulty and forcing the player to do a perfect run of the level, but with such sloppy controls and then forcing the player to go back to the beginning of the world, it just feels like the developers artificially made the game hard for no reason other than to make it one of those "hard indie games." When you do eventually complete a world, you won't think, "Yes, I'm the best! That was challenging!" You'll most likely think, "Thank CHRIST I finished that world. I can't wait for this game to be over."

It's not a TERRIBLE game by any means, the levels are well designed and it is satisfying when you run through a level in less than 2 minutes without dying, but after doing it the fifth/sixth/seventh time because you get stuck and lose all your lives at some part two levels away, it quickly becomes a chore and no longer a test of skill.

EDIT: Yeah, fuck this game. After playing the first 3-4 levels of the same world 10 times in a row, I'm done wasting my time on this shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Just want to say a couple of words about Gish. A lot of you should have it as it came in the Humble Indie Bundle #2. I started playing it last night in an attempt to continue plowing through the indie games i have bloating up my library.

The game is fun, but the controls are a bit clunky. As you're a ball of tar, you have to press down first, then jump, then down again and jump at the right time. This can take some getting used to as it doesn't always work like it should and later on in the game you have to do split-second jumps or it's into a pit of lava/spikes for you.

Speaking of dying, they have the archaic "lives" system. If you lose all your lives, well then too bad, because you're going back to the beginning of the world. It's incredibly frustrating when it happens. I'm all for difficulty and forcing the player to do a perfect run of the level, but with such sloppy controls and then forcing the player to go back to the beginning of the world, it just feels like the developers artificially made the game hard for no reason other than to make it one of those "hard indie games." When you do eventually complete a world, you won't think, "Yes, I'm the best! That was challenging!" You'll most likely think, "Thank CHRIST I finished that world. I can't wait for this game to be over."

It's not a TERRIBLE game by any means, the levels are well designed and it is satisfying when you run through a level in less than 2 minutes without dying, but after doing it the fifth/sixth/seventh time because you get stuck and lose all your lives at some part two levels away, it quickly becomes a chore and no longer a test of skill.

EDIT: Yeah, fuck this game. After playing the first 3-4 levels of the same world 10 times in a row, I'm done wasting my time on this shit.[/QUOTE]

Heh, felt the same way about it, when I got it from a Steam Indie bundle way back when...only played it for about an hour, and decided I'll just stick to World of Goo...still have to finish that one, given that it's not only fun, but I'd still like to know what happens storyline-wise.

[quote name='VGmnk']Heh, felt the same way about it, when I got it from a Steam Indie bundle way back when...only played it for about an hour, and decided I'll just stick to World of Goo...still have to finish that one, given that it's not only fun, but I'd still like to know what happens storyline-wise.[/QUOTE]

Get to it! The "story" part of the game is basically in Chapter 4 and the Epilogue. What you do in Chapter 4 is pretty awesome.

[quote name='SEH']I've played Duke games before. They're 75% nudity, dirty jokes, and swear words. I'm not saying there isn't an action game to be played in there, but most of their appeal is exactly what I mentioned.

It's clear there are a bunch of fans of the Duke Nukem games here, that's fine. I hope you all enjoy the game when it comes out.[/QUOTE]
I'd say that Duke Nukem is about 15 - 20% crass. The game isn't built around those elements at all.

[quote name='Brak']I'd say that Duke Nukem is about 15 - 20% crass. The game isn't built around those elements at all.[/QUOTE]

Seh finds their mere presence offensive, but he's not coming out and saying it.

A bit disappointed to hear that about Gish. I thought of those Indie pack games it looked like one of the most promising.

bread's done
Back