The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='navalg1337']I have about $50 in steam funds that I would like to turn into cash. Any ideas on how to do this..?[/QUOTE]

I would buy it from you for a discount if you haven't sold it already.

On a related note, does anyone have an extra Steam 50% off coupon they want to sell or trade for? Skyrim is calling me, and having the coupon would be awesome.

Update: Went to the Steam forums and got inundated w/offers. If any of you would like an extra Skyrim/Bethesda coupon, lmk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else have the Rayman Origins Demo show up in their Library and systray shortcut without having done anything?

Also, the entry has a "Play" button instead of an "Install" button, but nothing showing in the Downloads tab.

Clicking "Play" brings up:

Steam needs to convert the game content for "Rayman Origins Demo" to a new, more efficient format. This will require an Internet connection and a few minutes' time
I'm not signed up for any betas, and I hope this is not a new aggressive marketing tactic.

edit: it was an error: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29525378&postcount=23http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575142

Got into the CSGO beta...feels sooooo much better than Source. I honestly think if they don't severely fuck up, this game could be huge for competitive gaming.

[quote name='Tom Jane']Hey, eastx; how about a Torchlight 2 group buy thread? I figure there will be plenty.[/QUOTE]

Will ask Shrike... Some of the old group buy threads disappeared, so we'll see if they're still okay.

[quote name='I LIEK CHOCOLATEMILK']Is there a Steam group buy thread? I thought I remembered seeing one. Anyways, if anyone wants to do a 2-pack for Portal 2 let me know.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It is here.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Did anyone else notice that Sid Meier's Railroads! is no longer available on Steam? I purchased it a while back in one of the sales, but the link to the store page just goes to the Steam storefront:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/7600

The option to install it is still available in my library, fortunately.[/QUOTE]

That's happened with a bunch of games. Someone here mentioned a common reason for it but I forgets what (running out of keys? licenses?).

What bothered me recently is over the weekend when Valve had the Portal 2 thingie on sale for $0.68 for a day or so and then pulled it with a few days to go, and had it back up at full price right after the sale. Cranky.

I wish they would provide some sort of warning a week or two beforehand: "You have until Month, Day to purchase Game. After that date, the game will be removed from the Steam store."

In this case, I'm not affected since I already bought it, but if it had been a game in which I had interest but was waiting until later to buy, I'd be upset.

Could someone help me Railroad Tycoon II Platinum Edition on steam fails to run on my computer im running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

[quote name='Fatality']Could someone help me Railroad Tycoon II Platinum Edition on steam fails to run on my computer im running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit[/QUOTE]

I'd check the Steam forum for that particular title. You could also Google the issue and see what you come up with.

As far as games disappearing from Steam, agreed! I wanted to get Sims Medieval and the expansion. It had been on sale a few times, but I was waiting for a drop. For whatever reason, the expansion is no longer available on Steam. :( Sad. I think the game itself is, though.

Risen was on Steam, then disappeared, then came back, and I got a swinging deal on that one (although I forget the price). I go to Steam for all my gaming needs. If it's not on Steam, generally I won't play it at all. EA is making it hard for me, though, since they took Dragon Age 2 off, and I don't think Mass Effect 3 will ever be on Steam. Annoying. I'd really prefer to have nothing to do with Origin, but I might have no choice.

[quote name='eastx']Will ask Shrike... Some of the old group buy threads disappeared, so we'll see if they're still okay.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant. Any word? I'm sure plenty of people will keep doing these Torchlight groups. (Even with Diablo out.)

EDIT: Went ahead and started a thread for what it's worth.

Is there an active TF2 thread for gaming and trades? I can't seem to find it, either CAG search is borked or the thread got deleted.

Looks like an update to the client where if you check your Game List, it identifies on which computer you're logged into Steam, plus it now also lists the games' sizes, even if not installed. Cool beans, I guess?

Does anybody have an issue where non-steam linked games disappear from your library? It happens to all of mine regularly, they all vanish.

I'd heard about that, but I'd also head they'd fixed it. Guess not. It was/is one of the reasons I don't keep any non-Steam games in my Steam library unless I want friends to see that I'm currently playing it, like 40 people on my list who want us to know they're playing D3.

[quote name='dfg']I'd heard about that, but I'd also head they'd fixed it. Guess not. It was/is one of the reasons I don't keep any non-Steam games in my Steam library unless I want friends to see that I'm currently playing it, like 40 people on my list who want us to know they're playing D3.[/QUOTE]

Does STEAM now show all games or just supported games? For example if I'm playing Tribes Ascend and I opened it through STEAM - will it show to others I am playing that game?

In the past it did not.

[quote name='Megazell']Does STEAM now show all games or just supported games? For example if I'm playing Tribes Ascend and I opened it through STEAM - will it show to others I am playing that game?

In the past it did not.[/QUOTE]

Yes, if you add a shortcut to a non-Steam game to your library, and then launch the game through Steam, it will show on your friends' Friends window what you're playing. You can even rename the shortcut to something smartarsed as some of my buddies do.

Also, you can take screenshots of non-Steam games and include them in your library for viewing and commenting by others.

[quote name='dfg']Yes, if you add a shortcut to a non-Steam game to your library, and then launch the game through Steam, it will show on your friends' Friends window what you're playing. You can even rename the shortcut to something smartarsed as some of my buddies do.

Also, you can take screenshots of non-Steam games and include them in your library for viewing and commenting by others.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_X8ZZwcs4k

Hey guys, I need a little advice. I just bought an MW3 code off of ebay and here were the instructions.

DO EXACTLY THIS INSTRUCTIONS IN ORDER TO ACTIVATE:

1. Connect to your steam account
2. Download- https://hotfile.com/dl/155476464/658a321/USAIP.rar.html
3. Unrar, Run USAIP.pbk
4. Connect to "Ukraine PPTP" or "Ukraine L2TP ( User name & Password= demo )
5. In Steam click- "Games", "Activate a Product on Steam".

IMPORTANT-
After you finish, open once again the VPN program, and click "Hang up".

Your key is-

Enjoy and Please leave Feedback!

Did I buy a legit product? I haven't tried the instructions yet. When I used the product code on steam, it said the code wasn't available in my country (I'm USA). I'm a little weary of using this code and following the steps.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

It might work if you did the steps, but it sounds like it might also violate your Steam terms of service. I don't know about you, but losing access to my Steam account would be a total nightmare for me. I hope you didn't pay a lot. I wouldn't risk it, personally.

Can't you play a game where you don't go around shooting people anyway, you nut! :) (Just joking.)

[quote name='Josh5890']Hey guys, I need a little advice. I just bought an MW3 code off of ebay and here were the instructions.

Did I buy a legit product? I haven't tried the instructions yet. When I used the product code on steam, it said the code wasn't available in my country (I'm USA). I'm a little weary of using this code and following the steps.
[/QUOTE]

What you're looking at here is that he's asking you to use a VPN to connect to a server in another region (Ukraine), where you will activate an MW3 code that is region-specific (Ukraine). Because you're using a VPN, you will be, as far as Steam is concerned, in Ukraine at the time that you're activating the code.

In theory, this should work fine. But it invites questions. I'm not certain if doing this would violate the TOS for Steam. There's also the issue that you'd be getting a key from an unknown retailer... is it a stolen key? Was it generated by a key generator? We can't know that. And if it is in any way shady, Steam might yank the game from your account, or (worse case scenario) ban your account.

I know it's too late to change this now, but in the future you might ask the retailer what region the key comes from before you buy. Because MW3 is a Steamworks game, average people on ebay don't have spare keys laying about to sell. You'll find people trying to sell MW3 codes that they have activated by selling you their Steam account. This definitely violates the TOS (although it happens quite a bit).

Good luck... :whistle2:s

[quote name='Josh5890']I'm just going to ask for a refund. Thanks for the help.

Anyone have an MW3 code they want to sell lol?[/QUOTE]

Good plan. Buying and activating keys from other regions is in violation of Steam's TOS and people have gotten their entire account denied for doing so. In Russia and Ukraine the games can be obscenely cheap due to sp much piracy so people try to buy keys from there cheap and sell then to US customers.

Free Bastion key for anyone who is not buying Humble Bundle V, but I would strongly suggest buying it!

BUY THE BUNDLE! http://www.humblebundle.com/

But if you're somehow weird and don't buy it (I bought it and was only missing one of the games), then here you go:

**Claimed**

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Free Bastion key for anyone who is not buying Humble Bundle V, but I would strongly suggest buying it!

BUY THE BUNDLE! http://www.humblebundle.com/

But if you're somehow weird and don't buy it (I bought it and was only missing one of the games), then here you go:

PKC35-0XVBT-80L6Y

Please post once you've claimed it to save others the time of trying it out over and over. Use it under the Active Game option in one of the Steam menus ("games" I think)[/QUOTE]

Just redeemed for my kid. thanks jesse.

Just an FYI and a promotion for the Steam community, but lately I've been posting deals on Steam games from non-Steam websites (since you'll obviously know when Steam's sales are going on). I think I've managed to land quite a few deals for people who wouldn't have otherwise known. Keep an eye out, and join the Steam community if you're interested!

Since I've somewhat read about Steam frowning upon foreign distributors, I've been limiting the deals to US and UK websites until I read otherwise.

If you sign up for Steam Beta Updates (View->Settings->Account->Beta Participation-> Change...-> Steam Beta Updates->Restart) you can now set custom images in Grid View (Right Click->Set Custom Image).

If you're like me, you prefer Grid View in theory but end up in Detail View most of the time anyway. But hey, might as well get rid of that ugly icon for Team Fortress Beta. There's a long thread over at Neogaf where people are sharing custom images. Personally, I changed the images for Anomaly, Braid, and Oblivion to versions without the advertising and reviews all over them.

Hunh. I just won my first gift from Steamgifts.com. Terraria. I was selected from 2300+ entrants! Geez.

I only do Steamgifts occasionally... go in and spread my 300 credits around. Didn't think I'd ever win, though.

Now I feel obliged to play terraria... a lot... so the gifter can see that I appreciate it. Heh.

[quote name='gcorlett']Hunh. I just won my first gift from Steamgifts.com. Terraria. I was selected from 2300+ entrants! Geez.

I only do Steamgifts occasionally... go in and spread my 300 credits around. Didn't think I'd ever win, though.

Now I feel obliged to play terraria... a lot... so the gifter can see that I appreciate it. Heh.[/QUOTE]

I do the same. Sign in and spread em around and then wait for the next round. Congrats on that though. I was wondering if we should start steamgift group for the CAG steam group. That way some of us could get rid of the extra codes and everyone would have a shot at them.

[quote name='Woodlands']If you sign up for Steam Beta Updates (View->Settings->Account->Beta Participation-> Change...-> Steam Beta Updates->Restart) you can now set custom images in Grid View (Right Click->Set Custom Image).

If you're like me, you prefer Grid View in theory but end up in Detail View most of the time anyway. But hey, might as well get rid of that ugly icon for Team Fortress Beta. There's a long thread over at Neogaf where people are sharing custom images. Personally, I changed the images for Anomaly, Braid, and Oblivion to versions without the advertising and reviews all over them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the headsup! This is the kind of thing that could suck hours from my life. Not unlike gaming in general...

edit: except I forgot that one of the reasons I stopped using Grid view is that it takes forever (24 min and counting) for all the images to appear...

[quote name='dfg']
edit: except I forgot that one of the reasons I stopped using Grid view is that it takes forever (24 min and counting) for all the images to appear...[/QUOTE]

HOLY CRAP! How many games do you have?!

BTW whoever had the idea of including bastion in the indie bundle was a genius... Now include Minecraft or Analogue in the next one :)

[quote name='mjontrix']HOLY CRAP! How many games do you have?!

BTW whoever had the idea of including bastion in the indie bundle was a genius... Now include Minecraft or Analogue in the next one :)[/QUOTE]

Over 500, but none of them loaded after waiting more than several minutes.

I've noticed the client has been flakier in recent years, with pages not loading, screenshots and pages taking really long to load. Relatively minor annoyances, but it's starting to feel like Firefox (i.e. bloated).

[quote name='dfg']Over 500, but none of them loaded after waiting more than several minutes.

I've noticed the client has been flakier in recent years, with pages not loading, screenshots and pages taking really long to load. Relatively minor annoyances, but it's starting to feel like Firefox (i.e. bloated).[/QUOTE]

It can be slow for me too (

I noticed a slow down too awhile back. In fact, my entire friend list did not load once and since then I had to re-add friends and group. I've also be unable to gift for like 2 months straight then last week I was able to gift.

I decided to only have 10 to 40 games installed from STEAM at a time and just knock out all of the SP stuff first so that I can leave the MP stuff installed to play with others.

bread's done
Back