The Summer OTT Extravaganza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even bother with it. I was so tired from drinking and not sleeping the night before combined with traveling that I went to bed after the first prelim fight. :lol:

[quote name='Maklershed']Beat Max Payne 3 :whee:

Got a little tough at the end but overall a great game.[/QUOTE]

Did the fight with Becker annoy you at all like it did with me? It seemed he liked getting cheap with the grenade launcher at times. At least the scene afterwards on the runaway made up for it.

This makes no sense at all. I have a 64gb SSD. It says that theres a total of 59.6 capacity and 51.7 used. The thing is is that its JUST Win7 Ultimate and a couple sub 100mb programs, and everything on there when I check the size under proerties is, 25.8gb. That basically leaves 33gb totally unaccounted for. Its pissig me off because windows is saying that I only have 7.91gb free. Any ideas?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Appdata and install shield files. Get something like WinDirStat or SpaceMonger to visualize the space.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, just used WinDirStat and turns out the pagefil.sys is 16gb and hiberfil.sys is 12gb. That normal? Considering I have 16gb of RAM, I don't exactly need 16gb pagefile on the drive, right? Heck, from looking at a few sites, they've said that if you have massive amounts of RAM you can drastically reduce the pagefile or just turn it off al together.

As for the hiberfile.sys. That would be the hibernation file, right? Considering this is a desktop and I always keep my system on, do I even need anything like that?

Disabled hibernation. That freed up decent amount of space. Now about the pageing file. Depending on the site and the writer theres conflicting reasons about to disable or not to disable. Like I said I have 16gb of RAM and don't see a need for a 16gb pageing file. Would it be fine if I disabled it? Or would it be safe to reduce it to say, 4gb?

Well, it's not system critical. Disable it for a week or so and see if you notice any performance drops. If you do, turn it back on. Since it's just a page file it doesn't need to be persistent.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Well, it's not system critical. Disable it for a week or so and see if you notice any performance drops. If you do, turn it back on. Since it's just a page file it doesn't need to be persistent.[/QUOTE]
Cool, I'll do just that. Was thinking of disabling it as a test. Thanks for the help there Sneaky!

Morning, OTT.

Well, the Dark Brotherhood came to visit me...So between that and the Thieves Guild quests going on concurrently, I guess saving Skyrim can wait another 20+ hours or so.

[quote name='Maklershed']I need to get back into Skyrim. But first I want an FPS so I think I'm gonna do the campaign of Battlefield 3 next.[/QUOTE]

Yeesh. You may want to hold off on that if you want a good campaign.

I took a long break but I'm back into Skyrim. Finished the college of winterhold last night. I'm in the middle of Dark Brotherhood and will start the civil war after that. 144 hours, level 58 right now and have done just a few of the main quest.

Landscapers finally here putting in the new backyard. Elderly Asian next door neighbor just wanders into our yard. "My yard all concrete! Very easy to take care of."
(Uh. Who asked you, and why are you in my backyard?)

At least now that I'm done with LA Noire, I can stop pointing at items with my index finger, and then tapping them twice.

Aren't single player modes in FPS like Battlefield 3, MW3, Black Ops, insanely short? I never really hear much about them. Hear more about the multiplayer than anything. Seems like the reverse of years ago where multiplayer was just tossed in just because they could/had the time.

I'd probably get into games like above if they weren't FPS versions of Madden in that they come out every year with no real change. Then again, thats just how it looks to me and I'm off base...

Btw, I'd always anted to get into Black Ops, but does anyone even play anymore online on the PC? Have heard from some that is a ghost town now

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Aren't single player modes in FPS like Battlefield 3, MW3, Black Ops, insanely short? I never really hear much about them. Hear more about the multiplayer than anything. Seems like the reverse of years ago where multiplayer was just tossed in just because they could/had the time.

I'd probably get into games like above if they weren't FPS versions of Madden in that they come out every year with no real change. Then again, thats just how it looks to me and I'm off base...

Btw, I'd always anted to get into Black Ops, but does anyone even play anymore online on the PC? Have heard from some that is a ghost town now[/QUOTE]

Yeah, MW3 campaign was ridiculously short IMHO. Had I known it was so short I definitely would have waited for a price drop. I think 5-10 hours depending on how fast you go and thorough you are.

There are special ops missions, but I think you have to do multiplayer on that too.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Aren't single player modes in FPS like Battlefield 3, MW3, Black Ops, insanely short? I never really hear much about them. Hear more about the multiplayer than anything. Seems like the reverse of years ago where multiplayer was just tossed in just because they could/had the time.

I'd probably get into games like above if they weren't FPS versions of Madden in that they come out every year with no real change. Then again, thats just how it looks to me and I'm off base...[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for Battlefield, but some FPS games do have short single player (the war based games being the bigger culprits from my experience). I actually am not the most fond of CoD multiplayer (Halo player myself), but the single player in the CoDs I have played are actually enjoyable, as short as they may be.

As far as them being alike, yes and no. Are they similar, I won't argue that, but they are somewhat different. Modern Warfare single player is kind of like a spread out story, and Black Ops actually took place in Vietnam (iirc). Are the objectives recycled but just under a different skin, sure, but it is what it is.

As for CoD multiplayer, as far as I can tell, aside from the maps, it does always feel the same.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Yeah, MW3 campaign was ridiculously short IMHO. Had I known it was so short I definitely would have waited for a price drop. I think 5-10 hours depending on how fast you go and thorough you are.

There are special ops missions, but I think you have to do multiplayer on that too.[/QUOTE]

For special ops, while you do have to go through the multiplayer menu (I think), it can be done solo.

[quote name='JStryke']I can't speak for Battlefield, but some FPS games do have short single player (the war based games being the bigger culprits from my experience). I actually am not the most fond of CoD multiplayer (Halo player myself), but the single player in the CoDs I have played are actually enjoyable, as short as they may be.

As far as them being alike, yes and no. Are they similar, I won't argue that, but they are somewhat different. Modern Warfare single player is kind of like a spread out story, and Black Ops actually took place in Vietnam (iirc). Are the objectives recycled but just under a different skin, sure, but it is what it is.

As for CoD multiplayer, as far as I can tell, aside from the maps, it does always feel the same.

For special ops, while you do have to go through the multiplayer menu (I think), it can be done solo.[/QUOTE]
To be completely honest, the last real FPS I've played were the original UT and Q3A. Thats what I cut my teeth on way back in the day and pretty much my basis for FPS now a days.

That being said, I finally got around to playing L4D1 and went thru the first campaign. Very much enjoyed that. Made the mistake on the rooftop of getting away from everyone and thinking "hey, perfect time to heal thy self". Wrong! I've had that, L4D2, the entire Half Life series, Killing Floor, Borderlands (vanilla version), among tons others that I've had on Steam for nearly 2 years now.

If you can't find somebody to play Borderlands with, make that the last thing on your backlog that you rip in to. Borderlands is OK with a friend (or more) but without...not great.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']If you can't find somebody to play Borderlands with, make that the last thing on your backlog that you rip in to. Borderlands is OK with a friend (or more) but without...not great.[/QUOTE]
One of my best friends has it as well and we've talked about it whenever I get around to it. I've only played about 45 mins of it since I got it on sale on Steam back in Dec '10.

Among the titles above, I have the STALKER trilogy that I've never gotten around to and all 3 Deus Ex games. I couldn't turn down the weekend sale on the latest one with all the dlc and such for 15 bones. When I built this PC, I ordered Fallout 3 GOTY, New Vegas Ultimate and Mass Effect 2. Also have RAGE, that came free from the CPU I ordered (i7-3820). A month later as I was looking over NewEgg, where I bought everything, they offer ME3 as the free game that comes with the cpu now

I expected Resident Evil Afterlife to be fucking terrible but I didn't expect it to be god damn offensive to the senses. How are these still being made?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I expected Resident Evil Afterlife to be fucking terrible but I didn't expect it to be god damn offensive to the senses. How are these still being made?[/QUOTE]

No good I assume? The last one wasn't...terrible so I guess they are going downward in quality now?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']No good I assume? The last one wasn't...terrible so I guess they are going downward in quality now?[/QUOTE]

Extinction was fucking horrible too. As was Apocalypse. The only halfway decent one was the first one.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I expected Resident Evil Afterlife to be fucking terrible but I didn't expect it to be god damn offensive to the senses. How are these still being made?[/QUOTE]
Afterlife made nearly $300 million while the rest never even got to half of that figure, so the series is doing better than ever.

Finally got iTunes to function so I can get back into the burning Cds game. still no idea why windows media player refuses to co-operate. (It will synic files, but says I can't burn them.)
At least I got some small measure of success today.
Today and tomorrow off. Feels like a weekend.

cc-and-spidey2.gif

Because the gif is going at 1/4 frames per seconds...I haven even seen the Spider Man that you are refering to...Thanks for ruining the punchline!!!

[quote name='munch']I blame your computer.[/QUOTE]

It's the intertubes. My computer is BOSS.

Thats what the kids say nowadays...It is BOSS, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back