The Summerfest Wrestling Thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
God that ruled - I was hoping it was Lance, but that was a perfect fake-out. It was good enough to fool the fans in the arena, and got the Miz back on Raw. Hopefully Eugene gets shuttled off to ECW, or comes back on SD or ECW as Nick Dinsmore.

I can't sit through this show on the hopes that Storm will make an appearance and get one over on Slaughter. Back to gaming.

[quote name='Demolition Man']So this whole thing with Miz being "banned" from RAW was for what again?[/QUOTE]

171 hours.

First off.. lol @ "SummerFest", lol @ the owner calling him "Hickenbottom" and them laughing about the name. But seriously, with Shawn being "born again" and being uncomfortable with DX to begin with, he thought it was okay to off-camera kick a little kid? I realize it didn't actually happen, but seriously.. in the past few months, we've seen a midget - excuse me, a little person - get shot with a bazooka in the balls, and now a kid getting kicked? What the hell?

And I know it's a fake out, but damnit, I still get goosebumps every time they tease an appearance by Bret.

So Raw consistently sucks and SD is consistently good. Yet many of you still watch Raw while only a fraction of that watch SD. WHY? And don't give me the "It's on Fridays" excuse. Every one of you has access to either a recording device or Hulu. This isn't meant to be insulting, I just don't understand why people acknowledge something is crap yet show up for it every week.

[quote name='Scorch']First off.. lol @ "SummerFest", lol @ the owner calling him "Hickenbottom" and them laughing about the name. But seriously, with Shawn being "born again" and being uncomfortable with DX to begin with, he thought it was okay to off-camera kick a little kid? I realize it didn't actually happen, but seriously.. in the past few months, we've seen a midget - excuse me, a little person - get shot with a bazooka in the balls, and now a kid getting kicked? What the hell?

And I know it's a fake out, but damnit, I still get goosebumps every time they tease an appearance by Bret.[/QUOTE]

Closer we get to the Attitude Era, Happier I will get, cause dammit WWE has been Stale for the pass couple of years

[quote name='Scorch']That FU/RKO combo was pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, the camera angle was very cinematic, Jericho also landed vertically on his head

The first hour was pretty damn good, with Sarge's heel act working...once, and the highlight reel-ish divas four way with tons of cradles and an awesome-looking spot where Beth held two chicks up on her shoulder...and then got chop blocked killing it. The opening bit with Orton, Cena, Show, and Jericho was great - it set up the main event of the show well, and for a brief instant, made the WWE Title match at Summerslam seem like a big deal. Swagger-Bourne was also really good, with Swagger pulling out some innovative power spots - like the beal into the corner to set up the doctor bomb.

MVP making the save was a good setup for their match, which will be happening next week, not at the PPV they could get a good payday for. That sucks, as the lineup isn't all that great so far. I'm not looking forward to DX vs. Legacy, which setup tonight by establishing the latter group as a threat by beating Hornswoggle, and the former as being so inept they can't make burgers. The DX skits tonight peaked with Hunter accidentally hitting on a very happy gentleman, and then spiraled downhill after that.

Eugene vs. The Calgary Kid was just perfect. I loved the Lance Storm tease with the red trunks and kick pads, and it would have been a perfect role for him - win the match, give Eugene the contract, and look great in the process. Instead, they went with teasing it was Lance without ever saying his name, and then delivering THE MIZ! Who will hopefully go back to doing something meaningful and not being destroyed by Cena.

Show and Orton had better chemistry than I expected, although I could have done without the front facelock from Show that lasted seemingly forever. I did like Show being a face here - both he and Jericho kind of turned tonight, what with this being in BIZARRO WORLD~! and all, which kind of hurt the show as a whole because they went out of their way to either let down or deliberately piss off the crowd. Teasing Bret, by name, and delivering Jim Duggan made sense from a storyline perspective, but it sure upset the crowd, who was left chanting Bret's name afterwards. Thankfully Jericho's match followed it, so they at least knew the crowd wouldn't leave the building pissed and never come back again.

The main event was the usual good-to-great Cena-Jericho match, but man did the STFU-Punt tease not work at all. Why would Orton Wind up the move when Cena is in the position THROUGH HIS OWN DOING AND CAN GET OUT OF IT AT ANY TIME!? God that annoyed me. The match tself was great, thankfully. It's impossible for them to have a bad match together, and I loved seeing Jericho back in there with the top-level main event acts in the company.

Screens -
The one thing on the show that made me look forward to the supposed PPV main event

The Calgary Kid...

...IS AWESOME!

Quotes -
Cole - Raw is live tonight in Cal-gary, Alber-ta Canada!
Lawler - REMEMBER, THIS IS BIZARRO-LAND! WE’RE IN CALGARY, ALBERTA CANADA! THEY THINK A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY UP HERE!
Orton - YOU ARE ALL BENEATH ME! YOUR OPINIONS DO NOT MATTER TO ME! What does matter to me is that in less than 2 weeks time, I will be facing John Cena at Summerslam! AND I WILL BEAT JOHN CENA AT SUMMERSLAM! THAT IS NOT A RUMOR - THAT IS FACT! I GUARANTEE… (Cena comes out)
Cena - I’M TIRED OF YOU WAKLING AROUND LIKE THIS BUSINESS OWES YOU SOMETHING, AND I’M TIRED OF YOU BULLYING PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU SAY YOU CAN! You wanna bully somebody? BULLY ME! ARE YOU GONNA TALK ABOUT IT, OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!?
Show - YOU TWO CAN’T INTIMIDATE ANYONE! I BREATHE IN SOMEONE’S… )Crowd - Y2J! Y2J!) DIRECTION, AND I INTIMIDATE THEM!
Cena - Yeah, cuz your breath smells like Shaq’s jock strap.
Jericho - WE’RE OUT HERE BECAUSE TONIGHT, RAW IS IN MY COUNTRY- CANADA! (crowd goes wild) THE COUNTRY I GREW UP IN, THE COUNTRY I TRAINED IN…
Cena - The country you left when you migrated to the U.S.
Jericho - DON’T CHANGE THE SUBJECT, what you don’t realize is that earlier today I had a meeting with Slaughter and I told him that he owed it to me to give me whatever I wanted tonight - I want something I’ve never done before. Tonight, I have a one-on-one match against you! And tonight, right here in Calgary, for the first time ever! I’M GONNA BEAT YOU, CENA!
Sign - Less Big Show, More Gail Kim!
Orton - After your match, maybe I’ll come down and PUNT YOU IN THE SKULL!
Show - Wait…Randy, tonight, I’m facing you!
(after an awesome 4-way divas match)Cole - WHAT A MATCH!
King - GREATH MATCH!
King - IT’S GREAT TO SEE SARGE!
(fans boo)Sarge - THANK YOU, THANK YOU! It is my privilege to stand here in front of all you Canadians as your guest host tonight. I respect I neighbors of the North - that’s why my first official assignment as guest host is to lead you all in a salute to the Canadian flag! (a giant Canadian flag is on the tron, with a giant NO sign) THEN I REALIZED THAT IF IT WASN’T FOR THE U.S. OF A, YOU CANADIANS WOULD BE SPEAKING RUSSIAN AND FRENCH RIGHT NOW! IN FACT, MOST OF YOU SPEAK FRENCH ALREADY! (fans chant ASSHOLE) YOU MAGGOTS TAKE THE U.S. PRESIDENTS, AND PROTECTION, FOR GRANTED! THAT’S WHY I’VE COME UP WITH A BETTER IDEA! I DEMAND EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU TO STAND UP OUT OF THOSE CHAIRS, PLACE YOUR RIGHT HAND OVER YOUR HEARTS, AND PAY YOUR RESPECTS TO THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD! I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE… (fans chant ASSHOLE) YOU’RE DISMISSED!
Cole - I DON’T THINK SARGE IS ENDEARING HIMSELF TO THE WWE UNIVERSE HERE IN CANADA!
Swagger - THE TWO-TIME, TWO-TIME ALL-AMERICAN!
MVP - The only people who care less about that than I do are these people in Canada! They’re not booing you because you’re American, they’re booing you because you’re an arrogant braggart with a pronounced lisp! I’m kinda like you, only without a trust fund! HOW ABOUT THIS SWAGGER!? You against me in this ring tonight, unless of course, you’re an all-American WIMP!
Swagger - YOU WANT AN ANSWER!? MAYBE NEXT WEEK! (MVP shoves him down, crowd chants MVP’s name)
HHH - Shawn, I’m at the restaurant you told me to go to…I don’t see your name in the directory. (seeing a guy with a wig on)Well that’s a different look than the chaps I’m used to seeing you in…
Guy - I get off at 7...
HHH - Yeah, I bet you do.
(to little girl)HBK - Honey, I need to you let me cook the burger on both sides…that’s how a burger is made… BRING YOUR DAUGHTER TO WORKK DAY! A BRILLIANT IDEA!
King - IS SHAWN FLIPPING BURGERS!?
Sarge - I was just playing before - you’re really gonna like this. I went out and got someone really special to sing your national anthem - CELINE DION! Well, I couldn’t find her, but I found someone a whole lot better! (Jillian Hall comes out dressed as Uncle Sam)
Cole - This isn’t Celine Dion, but this is the Titatic!
JILLIAN - GOD BLESS AMERICA, MY HOOOMEEEE SWEEEETTT HOMMEEEEEEE! (Sarge wipes tears from his eyes)
Lilian - THE FOLLOWING IS A CONTRACT ON A POLE MATCH!
Lilian - FROM CALGARY, ALBERTA CANADA - THE CALGARY KID!
Crowd - HE’S LANCE STORM! HE’S LANCE STORM!
Cole - The Karate Kid’s a good athlete.
King - Did you just call him the Karate Kid?
Cole - DID I!? THE CALGARY KID!
COLE - THE CALGARY KID UNMASKS…IT’S THE MIZ!
Miz - THE WINNER OF THIS MIZ! THE MIZ, AND I’M AWESOME!
Cole - RANDY ORTON HAS MUSTERED NO OFFENSE IN THIS MATCH AT ALL!
Cole - VINTAGE ORTON WITH THE STOMPS!
HHH - I just wanna make sure I’ve got this straight…you’re a cook.
HBK - I’M A CHEF! I have a chef hat and a shirt - they don’t just give these to anyone. After Mania, it was all over.
HHH - You decided to become a chef for corporate nimrods! No offense, guys.
HBK - These nimrods are like my brothers! Look, I’m part of something here, okay! They like me. More importantly than that - they respect me!
Girl - THESE TATER TOTS SUCK, AND MY DADDY’S A VICE PRESIDENT, SO SHAPE UP, MONKEY! (she throws them in his face)
HBK - It’s a virtual paradise…why would I want to leave all this…I’m not listening. I don’t wanna hear it. I’m happy now. More importantly than that. I’m really good at what I do… (a fire breaks out behind him) HHH - Really, Chef Boyardee, is that why your grill’s on fire?
HBK - YES… MY GRILL’S ON FIRE! AHHHH! Okay…I’ll listen…
King - NICE DROPKICK FROM MASTERS!
HHH - YOU’RE THE HEARTBREAK KID!
HBK - I KNOW MY NAME! Flip those burgers, put the hat on and the apron.
HHH - I actually feel more chef-like. I need your help.
HBK - Summerfest?
HHH - Summerfest… SUMMERSLAM!
Guy - HICKENBOTTOM!
HHH - WHAT!?
HBK - I think it’s…
Guy - DID YOU YELL AT A GIRL AND START A GREASE FIRE!? GUYS LIKE YOU ARE A DIME A DOZEN! (HBK superkicks him)
HBK - Yeah, I’m in.
Girl - I HATE ONIONS!
HBK - Hang on…something I gotta finish…(HBK superkicks a small child and the DX theme plays)
Sarge - Listen up, guys, I just wanna thank you all for being such good sports. I know I had my fun poking fun at Canada but the truth is that we’re all part of one great place - the WWE Universe. As a token of my appreciateion, I’d like to bring out a special guest. You haven’t seen him in a long time in Calgary. So ladies and gentlemen, the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be!….
(as no one comes out)Cole - THE HITMAN IS BACK! (Duggan’s theme plays)
Cole - This bizarre edition of Raw continues live!
(after a clip of Markswoggle airs)Cole - THAT’S WHAT RAW’S ALL ABOUT!
Fans - WE WANT BRET! WE WANT BRET!
Jericho - I’m gonna beat John Cena tonight for the first time ever, in the city that I spent seven years of my life, where I trained in Stu Hart’s Dungeon. Tonight, I dedicate my win to Calgary! (when he thinks the camera is off)These people are so easy to manipulate - they even think that I was born in Canada - I was born in America.
Mathews - Um…we’re still on the air…the camera’s still rolling…
King - FREDDIE PRINZE JR. WILL FULFILL HIS LIFELONG DREAM BY HOSTING RAW NEXT WEEK!
(after beating Hornswoggle)Cole - LEGACY LOOKS TO CEMENT THEIR LEGACY AT SUMMERSLAM!

I loved that off-screen Superkick to the little girl. It reminded me of an older Shawn promo where he was backstage and kicked just about everybody that walked past him.

As soon as the show ended and Slaughter's music started, I just knew that they'd make Cena and Orton team up. That FU/RKO thing looked pretty neat, though.

[quote name='Halo05']Wait WWE is on Hulu?! Sweet.[/QUOTE]
They show ECW and Smackdown on Hulu. I DVRed Raw for the first time last night so I can't wait to see it. I just got DirecTV so I wasn't able to do it before. Happy that I can fast forward to the good parts.

[quote name='cdeener']They show ECW and Smackdown on Hulu. I DVRed Raw for the first time last night so I can't wait to see it. I just got DirecTV so I wasn't able to do it before. Happy that I can fast forward to the good parts.[/QUOTE]

You can't fast forward to Friday.

I absolutely hated Raw, the DX skits were embarrassingly bad. There wasn't a single match i thought was even decent. I couldn't even justify to my fiance why i watch this shit. I can't believe some people actually liked this.

[quote name='mykevermin']Lemme get this right: you couldn't care if they let a wrestler go at all, but a nobody referee gets shitcanned and it sucks?

:lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, Ricky Ortiz sucked on ECW and Smackdown in my opinion, so I never cared about him. Marty Elias, to be honest, I wouldn't have cared about had I not met him. But he was a genuinely nice guy. If I had met Ricky Ortiz and he was nice to me, I would have been disappointed about his release.

Adamle really hit his stride just before they shit-canned him. (Which is classic WWE booking.)

A funny bit from the newest Figure 4 Newsletter -
An underground steroid network was broken up in Egypt this week. The funny part is that the network chose to brand all of their drugs with a photo of Dave Batista flexing his biceps.

Greatness from a Nash interview -
I’ve never had a 9-year-old kid come up to me and say, ‘I think you need to pick up your workrate.’ ”

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Wow. Stone Cold is spot on.[/QUOTE]

This. He really hit the nail on the head with all the issues plaguing the business these days. I especially love when he said that guys need to just be themselves. He should know all about that.

The Rock was booed out of arenas all over the country during his Rocky Maiavia stint, but as soon as he got to open his mouth and be himself, the crowd love him and to this day is one of the greatest things to happen to the business. You can't create a phenomenon like that, it just has to happen.

Any of you guys have any interest in a Legends of WrestleMania/TNA Impact night on the 360? I know I mentioned it before, but I was thinking maybe we could do something this weekend if anyone was still interested.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']You can't fast forward to Friday.[/QUOTE]

Touche. Well, RAW wasn't all bad but the way Orton vs. Show ended was stupid. I enjoyed not having to watch the Summerslam commericals sooo many times. That was the first time I watched a whole RAW since the Flair fair well show.

Does DirecTV have HDnet I couldn't find it in my channel guide so I can see ROH?

I still prefer watching TNA so we will see if the Orton/Cena show will impress me in the near future.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Good news and bad news...... okay..... nothing but bad news.....[/QUOTE]
Uh, yeah, that's not bad news. Adamle was outstanding by the time they dumped him. Someone with a fucking Office avatar should be able to appreciate the WWE equivalent of Michael Scott as an authority figure.

[quote name='cdeener']Touche. Well, RAW wasn't all bad but the way Orton vs. Show ended was stupid. I enjoyed not having to watch the Summerslam commericals sooo many times. That was the first time I watched a whole RAW since the Flair fair well show.

Does DirecTV have HDnet I couldn't find it in my channel guide so I can see ROH?

I still prefer watching TNA so we will see if the Orton/Cena show will impress me in the near future.[/QUOTE]
It's channel 79.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Uh, yeah, that's not bad news. Adamle was outstanding by the time they dumped him. Someone with a fucking Office avatar should be able to appreciate the WWE equivalent of Michael Scott as an authority figure.[/QUOTE]

Its not that I hate Mike Adamle. Its just he's so fun to make fun of. :lol:

There's very little to be excited by at the prospect of a Mike Adamle-hosted Raw.

Monday nights are now concentrated gaming nights as far as I'm concerned. I can breeze through SD on Hulu, and I'll follow TNA, hoping they make the necessary changes to the product to become as compelling as their talent and roster allow them. Clusterfucks are not a sound strategy for producing compelling TV; if I don't care about the matches or angles or talent, the simple shock of "what could possibly happen next!?!?!" is meaningless.

Vince McMahon has been upset with the product as of late and has been heard complaining about the company's inability to create new stars. During a recent creative meeting, McMahon actually said, "G** D*****! WHY CAN'T WE CREATE NEW STARS?"
:lol:

Ooh! Ooh! I know! I know!

Y'all read the interview with Kevin Nash from a day or so ago? Where he talks about how there aren't any stars to follow in their footsteps in a few years' time? The same interview where he talks about wanting to return to WWE late last year so he could have one more run with Shawn Michaels?

:lol: Nash made some good points about the business overall, but doesn't seem to recognize - just like Michaels and HHH - how complicit they are in the failure to make new stars.

From the 8/17/09 issue of the Observer -
Freddy Kruger isn’t doing Raw. According to his agent, he was asked, but turned it down due to a scheduling conflict.

Show appeared on 8/10 on the Australian edition of “Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader.” He got his first question wrong, something out of third grade math. He got the second question right but that’s because he copied his partner who was a fifth grader. He got the third question right on his own

[quote name='Mr. Beef']:lol:[/QUOTE]

They have new stars. The only problem is they all suck dick. WWE just plays it way too safe. That's why the product has been boring and stale since the Attitude days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back