The Summerfest Wrestling Thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's note "safe" in the sense that they need to be more "XTREAM" or whatever nonsense it is.

The problem is that they give wrestlers no introduction, no persona. His character is as well thought out as Johnny Ace and Shane Douglas walking to the ringside area carrying skateboards (I always loved the accessories that WCW folks never used, like the skateboards and van hammer's guitar).

More than that, though, the wrestlers have zero passion. When was the last time you heard a promo on WWE, on TNA, on wherever...that had passion and believability underneath it? WWE all but shows you the cue cards. Their opening segments have been 100% flavorless for almost a decade now.

"I'm awesome."
*cue intro music as villain walks out*
"No you aren't. I'm awesome."
"Here's a dick joke."
"Hey. That hurt my feelings."
"Let me mention the name of the city we're in."
"I am preparing to say something."
*cue music as empty suit authority figure comes out*
"I showed up drunk to work this morning, so I'm just deciding tonight's matches right now."
"I am thrilled that I get to have a three-minute match against my rival that includes a pinfall finish even if we're having a payperview match in 6 days."
"I am somewhat outraged that I'm having a match with this guy. I think I shall stomp on the mat and stare at you, empty suit, eyes mildly agog and jaw slightly open."
"witty remark."
"announcers feign interest."
"Castrol GTX commerical."
Fin

I cannot stand when people blame the problems of the WWE on it being PG or complain about PG when the vast majority of wrestling television has ALWAYS been wholesome. It didn't stop them from producing good wrestling.

Also, lets not forget the non-PG brilliance of the post Attitude era. Such terrible segments as HLA time, bra and panties matches, mud pit matches, Dawn Marie and Al Wilson, WWE hiring underwear models as opposed to wrestlers, swimsuit contests, Kane and Lita, Katie Vick, etc.

Oh, Myke, lets not forget how 2 people who are supposedly pissed off at each other would rather stand right in front of each other and talk, as opposed to actually fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']It's note "safe" in the sense that they need to be more "XTREAM" or whatever nonsense it is.

The problem is that they give wrestlers no introduction, no persona. His character is as well thought out as Johnny Ace and Shane Douglas walking to the ringside area carrying skateboards (I always loved the accessories that WCW folks never used, like the skateboards and van hammer's guitar).

More than that, though, the wrestlers have zero passion. When was the last time you heard a promo on WWE, on TNA, on wherever...that had passion and believability underneath it? WWE all but shows you the cue cards. Their opening segments have been 100% flavorless for almost a decade now.

"I'm awesome."
"No you aren't. I'm awesome."
"Here's a dick joke."
"Hey. That hurt my feelings."
"Let me mention the name of the city we're in."
"I am preparing to say something."
*cue music as empty suit authority figure comes out*
"I showed up drunk to work this morning, so I'm just deciding tonight's matches right now."
"I am thrilled that I get to have a three-minute match against my rival that includes a pinfall finish even if we're having a payperview match in 6 days."
"I am somewhat outraged that I'm having a match with this guy. I think I shall stomp on the mat and stare at you, empty suit, eyes mildly agog and jaw slightly open."
"witty remark."
"announcers feign interest."
"Castrol GTX commerical."
Fin[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The closest thing to, I dunno, edgy that springs to mind recently is Miz' springtime attacks on Cena. I haven't seen anything since then so I don't know how that feud ultimately played out. Probably badly.

Punk's feud with Jeff is "edgy" in the sense that they're letting Punk take personal shots about off-camera stuff on Jeff. Usually when we see the heels insulting fans and wrestlers, it's nothing more than a "you stink because you stink" line - Punk's making decent points in his promos.

More than the great juxtaposition of Punk and Hardy's lifestyles, you can also believe that what Punk sez is what he genuinely thinks.

That's why it works.

Not to mention it's not reruns in the title scene, like it is on Raw.

I agree. While on Raw you have Mad Libs Main Event with Cena, Hunter, and Orton while the under card is just getting by. MVP, Kofi, and Swagger, guys who should be mixing with the upper card languish. Smackdown has some freshness on top with Hardy (who is way over) Punk (Who is doing great as a heel where I feel he was kind of generic as face with the straight edge message) and then guys like Jericho (doing some of the best work he's ever done) and Mysterio (I think he seems invigorated dealing with guys who can go his style) and then guys like Morrison who are already in the mix with top guys, but who is just waiting for that one thing to help him bust through.

[quote name='mykevermin'] "I'm awesome."
"No you aren't. I'm awesome."[/QUOTE]
To be fair, I'd love it if this happened to me at least once as I was walking out of my house, or something.

I'm hoping that once they end the Punk-Hardy feud that Morrison will get a bump to take on whoever the champ is.

I'm suprised they put Swagger on RAW(although I really shouldn't be suprised by anything they do right now). But I think eventually they'll find a way for him to go to SD & have him contend for one of the titles there.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's note "safe" in the sense that they need to be more "XTREAM" or whatever nonsense it is.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean "safe" in the sense that we aren't seeing tits, 100 crotch chops, dives off cages, etc. I meant that nothing exciting happens anymore. You just don't have the craziness there was when it was WWF/WCW/ECW, with guys going to different shows, crazy stuff going down, great matces, etc. Nothing is surprising or "holy shit! I gotta check that out!" material. 95% of the current WWE roster is fucking balls boring. They give you no reason to care about them.The PPVs are bland and for the most part are not on the level of what a PPV match should be. The belts don't mean anything. When people are "marking out" for the Miz I just laugh my ass off. That's what you have to look forward to? The Miz? You also don't see any really great promos or interviews anymore (Punk's at the ppv was great though).

I just watched the Monday Night Wars DVD again and a couple comments stick out. Eddie's comment was somewhere along the lines "It got boring. You didn't know what month it was on our show". The same can be said for the WWE for the longest time now. The fuck month is it? What year are we in? We've been seeing the same damn guys on top forever with he same boring ass matches. I've seen most of the PPVs the past three years and I couldn't for the life of me tell you about any of them, not inluding the Manias. Rey commented that WCW had all those guys in the bottom but weren't doing anything with them. Same goes for WWE. You got all these guys but yet we still see Orton/HHH/Cena/Edge/Batista/Taker, and everything below that is not given the time of day. I know it all wasn't perfect back in the "glory" days but at least there was cool stuff to watch. A lot the talent now seems to be somebody's kid.

Yeah, you have Punk/Hardy, but I think the standards are so low nowadays that people are putting that so high up there because everything else in the company in terrible. Their match up is great and is really growing on me, but when I compare it to the Monday Night Wars stuff it's not even in the same universe. However, I am really interested in their Summerslam match but that's the only thing I care about on the card. I've been saying this for a long time, but the brand extension has so much potential if they would just do it like they were all seperate entities wanting to kill each other (or pretty much how the Invasion angle should have went). I'm sure they could figure out a way to make it interesting, but it's been 7 years so it'll probably never happen. It's weird to watch some of the old matches (I was watching Goldberg vs. Hogan from Nitro earlier). The crowd was going nuts. When Stone Cold used to come out you could see everyone standing up at once. You never see that kind of stuff anymore.

That WWE Superstars, or whatever it's called, was really good, tonight.

It's astonishing how much better ECW and Smackdown are, in comparison to RAW.

Blackout, I won't disagree with those assessments. There's very little from, say, 2004-2005 to today that, if I never saw it again, I'd be upset. A few moments here and there. But if I never saw a single John Cena match as long as I lived, I'd be fine. Same with Randy Orton - guy bores me to tears. He comes off as so inauthentic.

WWE knows this, so I don't feel like I'm slandering them or picking on them unnecessarily. They recognize that they cannot make "new stars." Whether they're at the point where they look internally at themselves as a company, put some control back in the hands of the wrestlers, take some chances on guys, change up the paint-by-numbers production and arrangement of tv shows - then we'll see changes. It happened once in 1996 because WWF was losing money and losing ground to WCW. I don't think we'll see them wait that long to take chances again and be brave.

If Hardy drops the belt to Punk in his signature match, I'd consider him good as gone for awhile - and I think Punk's a perfect foil to finally "make" Morrison a main event guy.

If Jeff leaves, I'll go out on a limb and say that we'll get an extended Punk/Undertaker program when he returns. I expect we'll get Morrison/Matt Hardy/Mysterio/Ziggler combos for the US Title instead of pushing Morrison up to the main event right away.

Fun Fact:

All professional wrestling referees lack peripheral vision.

[quote name='Brak']That WWE Superstars, or whatever it's called, was really good, tonight.

It's astonishing how much better ECW and Smackdown are, in comparison to RAW.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen/read, the other three non-Raw shows are actually not too bad at all most of the time. I finally gave Superstars a chance last week and liked it. Not even a whiff of the staleness that you are guaranteed to get watching Raw most of the time.

Holy shit. This was the best go-home show they've had this year, and probably the most wrestling-filled, promo-less show since the move to Spike. It's a shame the opener was horrid, with Sojo and Christy just fucking things up constantly. Hernandez vs. Williams was decent, but short. Not sure if I'd have Hernandez get knocked down from the case - I think it would've been better to have him no-sell it and then just kick Rob's ass, but I guess they'll save that for the PPV. Lashley's interview was awful.

He came off as awkward, and not even believing the hype given to him at all, so if he doesn't think he's the best, why should fans? It's fine to be humble, but he came off as way beneath Kurt Angle just through his own words. He cut a decent promo before the Sapp fight, so hopefully he can do that again before his match with Angle, probably at BFG. Jethro beating up Abyss was...something. I'm glad to see him get some TV time, but I was more excited about the bounty match with it being a mystery opponent than I am knowing that it's just Jethro fighting him.

The World Elite vs. Rhino/rookie match was okay, but served a good story point and finally ended the stupid Rhino/Neal partnership. Rhino cut his usual passionate promo afterwards, so I'm sure we're in for the usual three week-long Rhino push we get every six months or so.

The knockouts four way was great. Full of highlights and funny stuff, like Deaner getting killed and Tara hitting a sick dive off the top onto TBP. The commentary here was great with Don being the cheerleader for TBP and Tenay debunking his shit.

The Sting-AJ promo was...a promo, way below the usual standard for Sting this year. Good to see that he and AJ have patched up their differences - can Sting please get some time on the show? Ever since the face turn, he's done nothing, and it's a huge negative compared to him being all over the show cutting great promos as a heel.

The Steiners-3D stuff tried to make the match out to be a huge deal, even if the timeline behind the storyline doesn't quite make sense - Harlem Heat was a big deal around the same time that the Dudleys were in ECW, not when they were growing up, but at least they tried to make a title match seem important. Not so sure how wise it was to have 3D call their opponents old and compare them to garbage - if they lose, they lose to old guys, and if they win, so what? They just beat old guys. Plus, the stuff they said applied to them as well, as DW said. Very stupid thing to say to build up this match. With the exception of the X Title match, they really went above and beyond their norm to make the belts seem important. All that got was a single great Taz promo, which would have been fine if they'd brought it up as a big deal later, but it wasn't - it was just a self-contained thing and that hurt it.

I liked that they did such a good job building up the Steel Asylum - even if the video package was a bit absurd with some of its phrasing - IT'S SHAPED LIKE A MUSHROOM CLOUD AND RED LIKE A FRESH KILLL...Yeah... However, I'll give them credit for A. announcing WHO WAS IN THE MATCH BEFOREHAND, something they rarely do for the obligatory billion-guy PPV match, and B. explaining what the wackily-named match actually was - something they almost never do as well. Building it up as being for the number 1 contendership and being the first match for Dinero was good too - they did an excellent job of making this seem like something that's important on the show.

Similarly, before this show, I wasn't looking forward to the Foley-Nash match, but after this show, I am. They had great chemistry together, and Foley launching himself through the table made sense - he, as "the wrestler" in this, was willing to uphold wrestling tradition, while Nash wasn't. Good stuff, and I hope these two do okay at the show. They shouldn't have too many problems with a short match. Nash can deliver good-looking strikes, and Foley can sell them well, so there's potential here for a decent match.

AJ-Morgan was fine, but I wasn't as impressed by it as I was their first match. The post-match deal, however, was a great showcase for Matt's mic skills. They definitely made it seem like Morgan COULD win the title on Sunday, which is good - he doesn't come off as a guy without a chance, and put the belt over huge as well.

Screens -

Quotes -
Ad guy - ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE IN TNA!
Tenay - Don, you’re always STALKING, I MEAN TALKING to the TNA Knockouts, and I’m sure Christy’s told you about how excited she is to return!
DW - She is looking extra…HOT here tonight!
DW - FLYING FIRECROTCH GULLOTINE!
Tenay - I CAN’T BELIEVE WE DIDN’T GET FFG FOR THE 1-2-3!
DW - Sorry my friend - I just love saying FLYING FIRECROTCH GULLITINE!
Tenay - AND WHY WOULDN’T YA!
Lauren - Will Joe be ready at Hard Justice?
Taz - Chuckle chuckle - two weeks ago, Joe failed. He let me down, and himself down. There was a point that he showed remorse - THAT DOESN’T WORK. Hernandez didn’t beat Joe - Joe beat Joe. Now it’s my job to turn a negative into a positive. Come Hard Justice, Homicde will pay for it. JOE WILL PUT HIM OUT! Guaranteed!
DW - Hernandez isn’t just back - HE’S A BAADDDDD MAAAAANNNN!
Tenay - During that riot, he got in at the perfect time!
DW - Yeah, that chain he had was about 20 FEET LONG!
Tenay - HE HAD HIS CASE STOLEN FROM HIM!
DW - Well then he should just take it back…
Tenay - HE’LL HAVE HIS CHANCE THIS SUNDAY!
DW - Our crowd isn’t the smartest, but I think they’re chanting USA - is that for the Mexican or the Brit?!
Tenay - OH YOU’VE JUST BEEN IN A MOOD FOR WEEKS!
(a second after a Hernandez)
Tenay - Lashley, I followed your WWE career all the way to becoming WORLD CHAMPION! Being a wrestler wasn’t enough. Tell me about the move to MMA?
Lashley - I wouldn’t say that wrestling wasn’t enough for me - I just had the competitive edge still in me and wanted more.
Tenay - In an unprecedented move, you signed a contract with TNA while still doing MMA!
Lashley - I love wrestling…I’ve done it for…a few years now…As far as MMA goes, I still have the desire. Right now, I’m living the dream. So, um. I think I’ll prove that you can be successful at both.
Tenay - Who wins if it’s Angle, the world’s greatest wrestler, against the world’s greatest MMA fighter?!
Lashley - The fans, but I wouldn’t call myself the best MMA fighter.
Stevie - Thousands of people have begged for the chance to take out Chris. These people really hate him. To collect the bounty, it’s not about pinning Chris - it’s about MAMING ABYSS, HURTING ABYSS, MAKING HIM DROWN IN A POOL OF HIS OWN VOMIT, BLOOD, AND SWEAT! ENDING HIS…. (abyss comes in)
Abyss - FINISH ME YOURSELF! WHY DON’T YOU DO YOUR OWN DIRTY WORK! YOU’RE NOTHING BUT A WORTHLESS BITCH! THAT’S WHY!
Tenay - THE OUTLAW JETHRO HOLLIDAY IS BEATING THE HELL OUT OF ABYSS WITH THAT CHAIR!
Lauren - It seems like since losing the title, you’ve been derailed.
Tara - Derailed? I got hit by a two-ton monster truck! KONG MAY BE THE BEST WRESTLER IN HISTORY!
DW - I think the first thing the teacher should’ve done is taken the student shopping for better gear - that’s just my opinion.
DW - You can see Consequences Creed on the cover of the newest issue of Geek Magazine.
Tenay - GEEK MAGAZINE!?
DW - I figure you’ve been on the cover a few times.
Tenay - I was the July centerfold!
DW - How many times have I said that there’s no I in team - I live by that motto!
Tenay - THE TEACHER GORED THE STUDENT!
DW - Gotta learn someway…
Lauren - RHINO, HOW COULD YOU!?
Rhino - HIS BEST WASN’T GOOD ENOUGH!
Lauren - HE TOLD YOU ABOUT HE AND HIS FALLEN PARTNER WANTING TO BECOME WRESTLERS!
Rhino - This isn’t the Lifetime Channel - when I trained him, I saw a man who was a soldier, but he makes MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE!
Lauren - WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!??
Rhino - LOOK AT THE SCARS, THE PAIN, THE EMOTION, THE FAMILY THAT HAS TO PUT UP WITH OUT THERE AND I TRAIN HIM AND HE MAKES A FOOL OUT OF ME, MY PASSION! YOU EVER BEEN IN THE RING?!? NO! YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND! I RESPECT JESSE, WHAT YA DONE FOR OUR COUNTRY - CAN YOU FIGHT AGAIN!? WILL YOU FIGHT!? THAT IS THE QUESTION! I WILL FIGHT, BLEED, AND DIE IN THAT RING!
DW - As I was cooking Velvet breakfast this morning, she told me that Angelina had to have Deaner’s saliva surgically-removed from her body! (as Velvet enters the ring)She eats more than you’d think - it gets expensive.
Tenay - I thought you made her breakfast? Was the $3.99 Grand Slam too much for ya?
Tenay - While you were having TBP Breakfast Club, did the Hard Justice tag match come up?
DW - I just love it when you mention Beautiful People and tag team - it just goes well together. And yes, it did.
DW - Tara takes a shot and takes her shirt off. Give her another one. Reminds me of my ex-wife. Give her a shot and she takes her shirt off.
(after a top rope dive to the floor)DW - LOOK AT TARA’S HEAD! IT WENT RIGHT INTO THE CONCRETE!
DW - DEANER SPINS THE HAT!
Tenay - HE KISSES HER!
DW - THAT’S THE DEFINITION OF GIVE’ER!
Tenay - AWESOME BOMB ON DEANER!
Sting - You’re in the pressure cooker…
AJ - IT’S HOW WELL WE WORK UNDER PRESSURE. IT’S WHAT SEPARATES THE MID-CARDERS FROM THE MAIN EVENTERS! EITHER I’M GONNA BE A WINNER, OR A LOSER!
Devon - The Steiners are Harlem Heat - 2 of the greatest teams in history - they paved the way, but ya know something, but it’s hard to think this way, but as far as we’re concerned - WE ARE THE GREATEST TEAM IN THIS BUSINESS TODAY! VOTED BY THE FANS AS THE GREATEST TEAM IN DA HISTORY OF DIS BUSINESS! WE’VE RUN OUR MOUTHS IN EVERY COMPANY WE’VE BEEN IN, BUT WE’VE ALWAYS BACKED IT UP. Gentlemen, you’re just another team trying to knock down the greatest team in the history - and it’s not gonna happen soon.
Ray - Harlem Heat, Steiners, great teams. What makes us a great team is THE FANS SAYING WE’RE A GREAT TEAM! Every time we go out there, 3D! 3D! 3D! Tonight, it’s you and me Scott. The belts belong to us! WE GOT SCREWED OUT OF THOSE BELTS, THE NUMBER 1 CONTENDERSHIP, AND THE IWGP TITLES! IF I KNEW GETTING SCREWED WAS THIS BAD, I WOULDA STAYED A VIRGIN!
Steiner - If I’ve heard it once, I’ve heard it a thousand times. When yo guys were growing up, you though that the Steiners and the Harlem Heat were the greatest. YOU COULDN’T BEAT US BACK THEN, AND YOU CAN’T BEAT US NOW! WE ARE THE WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPS CUZ WE’RE BETTER THAN YOU! WE’RE WALKING IN WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS, AND WE’RE WALKING OUT WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIES!
Ray - THAT’S WHY WE RESPECT YOU SO MUCH! FOR YEARS, YOU BACKED UP WHAT YOU SAID! THAT’S WHAT MADE THE STEINERS AND HARLEM HEAT GREAT - AND GUESS WHAT!? THAT’S WHAT MAKES TEAM 3D BETTER! THE STEINERS WERE A HOUSEHOLD NAME, HARLEM HEAT WAS A HOUSEHOLD NAME, AND SO IS GARBAGE! AND JUST LIKE GARBAGE, YOU’RE GETTING OLD AND YOU STINK!
DW - OH THAT’S THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK!
Booker - Ya din’t just say dat!
Tenay - YOU HEARD BOOKER T SAY YOU DIDN’T JUST SAY THAT!
Tenay - Bubba bomb leads to a near-fall for 3D!
(after Ray puts on the chain mail head dress)DW - I think he looks like either someone in a credit card commercial or something out of the Holy Grail!
Tenay - THEY’RE GOING FOR THE HOLY TABLE!
DW - Too easy.
Foley - A few weeks ago, you were in the ring with Mikey and you said that it’s ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. People ask me if that’s how he is, and to be truthful, I don’t know if I’ve had a conversation with him that didn’t involve money. My kids asked me when I was gonna be a champion - I’ve been able to say that HEY KIDS, YOUR DAD IS A CHAMPION! That doesn’t mean anything to you? Sense of pride, accomplishment…it’s really about the bottom dollar, Kevin?
Nash - The win was so tainted in the first place, but yeah…I couldn’t made $20,000 at my last autograph session with that belt. And I’m talking about cash - not a check. But cash money, so…you know what, you don’t know what sellout is - you only make $6.50 an hour. Here’s a guy who can put pet to paper and make a best seller, here’s a guy that has an absolute beautiful wife and family…and it’s nice to see that the studio audience can count, it’s important, but I don’t understand why you don’t continue to write and why you’ve got a fascination with wrapping yourself in barb wire and setting yourself on fire.
Foley - I’m talking about HARD JUSTICE, AND YOU’RE COMPLAINING ABOUT WIZARD WORLD!
Nash - THAT HAPPENS TO BE A BIG COMIC BOOK CONVENSTION!
Foley - I WOULD HAVE DONE THIS FOR FREE! I LOVE SEEING THE LOOK ON MY KIDS’ FACES! YOU’RE CONCERNED ABOUT WIZARD WORLD - BRING YOUR INTELLIGENCE, YOUR HEIGHT, AND GOOD LOOKS TO HARD JUSTICE, AND I’LL BRING MY PASSION AND WE’LL JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS! (Nash takes off his jacket) What the hell’s the point?
Nash - I AM AN ATHLETE! I AM A BUSINESSMAN, AND YOU ARE A PATHETIC WRESTLER!
Foley - Did you just use the W word on me!? YOU’RE DAMN RIGHT I AM, AND I’M PROUD OF IT! MY DEFINITION OF WRESTLING INCLUDES TABLES, CHAIRS, so you bring your set of skills to HJ, and I’ll bring mine - we’ll see how things turn out! Good luck on Sunday… Wait…you mean that you and I are out here and we’re on a wrestling show, and there’s a contract signing going on, with a table and nobody’s going through that thing!?
Nash - Well Mick, I read the contract - and I’m not getting paid extra to go through it, or to put you through it. So since I’m not gonna get paid, I could really give a damn about the table. There’s no money in this - I’ll wait until Sunday.
Foley - That’s the difference between you and me - I would put you through it for free, and I would go through it for free…
Nash - YOU’LL GO THROUGH IT FOR FREE?!
Foley - As a matter of fact, I will!
DW - he’s insane! The guy’s insane!
Foley - SEE YA SUNDAY!
Ad Guy - SHAPED LIKE A MUSHROOM CLOUD FROM AN A-BOMB AND RED LIKE A FRESH KILL! IT IS THE STEEL ASYLUM!
Tenay - CARBON FOOTPRINT!
DW - TOOK HIS FREAKIN’ HEAD OFF!
Angle - First, I wanna congratulate Matt Morgan! He is gonna be in his first main event at HJ! Matt, when you got into wrestling - your size, speed, stamina, and strength, I KNEW THE MAFIA WOULD RECRUIT YA!
Morgan - You recruited me, I coulda swore I was selling myself to you guys…
Angle - It doesn’t really matter - it’s gonna be Morgan vs. THE OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST vs. LITTLE OLD STING! One last favor, and you’re in the Mafia?
Morgan - What is it?
Angle - Don’t be coy, Matt - one last favor and you’re in like Flynt.
Morgan - You can’t be suggesting that I help you retain the title at HJ, right?
Angle - Matt, I’m not suggesting…I’M DEMANDING!
Morgan - LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, LITTLE MAN! NOBODY DEMANDS ANYTHING OUT OF THE BLUEPRINT, AND THAT INCLUDES YOU! IF YOU THINK FOR ONE SECOND THAT I’M GONNA PASS THIS OPPORTUNITY UP, YOU’RE CRAZY! WHO KNOWS IF IT’LL COME MY WAY AGAIN! I’M GONNA COME INTO HJ, AND GO IN AS THE BLUEPRINT, AND WALKING OUT THE NEW TNA WORLD CHAMPION!

In news that really is bad news Wrestling Observer has reported this week that some ROH talent has had checks bounce on them. Uh-oh..... sounds a bit familiar to anyone?

Ha, that was fast. Sucks to see Eugene gone so damn soon - wasn't he just signed last month?

Attn Nick Dinsmore: Go to ROH, team with Albright and Cabana, and suplex the fucking shit out of people. You're far better than the gimmicks that have been handed to you.

[quote name='JJSP']Ha, that was fast. Sucks to see Eugene gone so damn soon - wasn't he just signed last month?

Attn Nick Dinsmore: Go to ROH, team with Albright and Cabana, and suplex the fucking shit out of people. You're far better than the gimmicks that have been handed to you.[/QUOTE]

But if what demo man posted is correct, he may be doing it for free.

I never cared for the gimmick they gave "Eugene". But it was pretty lame that they brought him back just to write the miz back onto RAW. They could've brought in any no name just as cheap to do that. But I guess they wanted to give the people someone familar to root for/create interest.

I wonder if he got the bullshit "due to the economy" response like Kendrick. Companies of all kinds are going to ride that shit into the ground.

That's odd. I don't think they'd go through the trouble of re-hiring him only to fire him again. I bet he did something wrong.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Awesome. Smackdown gets pulled in favor of pre-season football.[/QUOTE]

Bengals?

I ain't watchin' tv. I'm filling out job applications at the bar, like any responsible citizen should.

[quote name='mykevermin']Bengals?

I ain't watchin' tv. I'm filling out job applications at the bar, like any responsible citizen should.[/QUOTE]

Colts, but the Bengals game is on another local channel.

I loved this show a lot. The women's match was easily Layla's best match yet, and had a few great spots - like the middle rope-trap double knee drop from Melina. The Khali-Kane stuff was good too - kept short, and featured a lot of story progression despite that. Khali being revealed as Runjin's brother was a good way to explain their pairing and adds a bit more drama to the Summerslam match, which seems perplexing since not even JOHN MORRISON is booked for Summerslam, despite being a regular SD main eventer.

Ziggler-Finlay was good, which I expected since it's Finlay in a long-ish match on TV and one that is designed for another guy to shine, which he's great at. This one was highlighted by Finlay's awesome facial expression during an armbar from Ziggler, and the sick ringpost face wash from him as well. Great stuff to build up the Summerslam match, although it felt like Rey should've been involved in this somewhere so that Dolph could get some revenge for last week. Then again, if they'd done that, it would have made the post-match too cluttered - and it is better to try and get Knox over with a memorable spot like a steel step-assisted backbreaker, than it is to just do boring back-and-forth booking between Dolph and Rey.

Punk vs. Morrison was their usual great match. The double knee to Morrison's trapped head under the bottom rope was awesome, and it looked sicker and sicker as they showed more angles of it. Morrison avoiding the GTS at all costs throughout the match was a good way to make him look strong - and it made Punk hitting the tree of woe-GTS more meaningful.

Show-JTG was a nothing match - although I did love Show's psychotic face after the match, and Jericho saying he lost to JTG because he had a sore throat. Awesome heel move there. The main event was okay - not as much of a showcase for the Dynasty as I'd hoped. I figured with Jeff leaving, they'd at least have them each do their finishers to him at some point, or just major moves in their arsenal, just to have it for future reference (IE - THEY BEAT UP SUCH MAJOR NAMES AS...and then show clips of it), but having Kidd pin Hardy still worked well, and I dug the post-match deal.

In one segment, they introduced the Dynasty as main event-level acts, reformed the Hardys, and established Morrison's main event status on SD. I also liked the Hardys reunion being done while the announcers were silent except for "...wow" - it was a pleasant change of pace from oh, say Impact, where such a thing would have happened amid a lot of yelling about how great and historic it all is. Here, it happened, and we were allowed to soak up the moment and wonder just what brought this about. Matt's face and body language seemed to show remorse, but we'll find out more next week. I'm sure they'll explain Matt going to Raw as something Vince approved to spice SD up, and if not, oh well - I'm just glad that Matt will be on a show where he can be pushed well as opposed to Raw, where he's never been pushed.

Screens -

Quotes -
Punk - So Teddy Long says that Summerslam’s TLC match is Jeff Hardy’s specialty…Well, it wouldn’t be the first time that he’s wrong. When it comes to ladders - no one’s better than me. I’ve proven that time in and time out with consistency. As far as chairs go, you can look at last week and see how effective I am with them. I’ve competed in 2 back-to-back MITB matches and come out victorious! I could waste my breath and tell you the importance of honesty and integrity, but you’re all slaves to Jeff and his hip little “in the moment” propaganda. Besides, anything I do or say will just make you love him that much more. So I figured out what I have to do to make you see the light - what you have to do to live a healthier lifestyle. Where you’re perhaps productive members of society and contribute to it instead of contributing to its statistics for alcoholism and drug abuse. Alls I have to do is end Jeff Hardy! And believe me when I say that I want to do it the same way I live my life - the right way. STRAIGHT UP, one-on-one, no outside ring enforcers with family ties. Just Jeff and me, and the world heavyweight championship hanging above the ring…in TLC! But it’s typical of Jeff to screw up everything - he’s already well on his way to screwing this up - he’s not even gonna make it to Summerslam. No one’s more disappointed to me - the injuries are so severe that…(Teddy comes out)
Long - Punk, what you did was deplorable! YOU COULD HAVE ENDED HIS CAREER! DO YOU REALIZE THAT!? I tell ya what - before ya make alternative plans for Summer slam - I wanted to tell you that Jeff will be here tonight, but as we know, he’s in no condition to compete, but he has assured me that he will be ready to face you at Summerslam! Don’t think too long, playa, cuz tonight, you’re gonna go one-on-one with the man you’ve yet to defeat here on SD - JOHN MORRISON!
Punk - I’m sick of you - you’re just a Jeff Hardy suck-up like all these people. I’m gonna beat Morrison tonight, and at Summerslam, I’m gonna beat your hero…(Jeff comes out)
Jeff - I am hurt, but I am here…IN YOUR FACE! And nothing will stop me - I WILL ENDURE THE PAIN AND DEFEND THE CHAMPIONSHIP AT SUMMERSLAM, PUNK!
Grisham - Finlay’s style is pure Irish aggression!
J.R. - I like it! He just likes to beat people up!
J.R. - All of those concussing blows - is that a word?
Grisham - Yes.
J.R. - I’ve been cussed and I’ve been concussed!
Knox - Finlay
Singh - My name is Runjin Singh, and I’ve been punished with my association with the Great Khali… I’m being well taken-care of!
(to Maria and Melina)Layla - This is cute - two best friends sharing love stories! YAY YAY YAY!!!! (big fake claps) Dolph can do better than you.
J.R. - Morrison brings the sizzle, but he’s got the steak as well.
(after a calf kick from Morrison)J.R. - MEDIUM RARE FOOT TO THE FACE!
(after the KENTA combo)J.R. - Three strikes and Morrison may be out!
Punk - NAP TIME!
J.R. - Layla’s a former diva’s search champion, and has an NBA Championship ring!
J.R. - We’ve seen Melina in some amazing positions.
Grisham - HER FOOT IS ON HER OWN SHOULDER! I don’t care how flexible you are, that hurts!
Grisham - J.R., it’s about to get CRUNK UP IN HERE! IF YA FEEL ME!
J.R. - Excuse me?
Jericho - I am the best in the world at what I do!
Grisham - You lost to JTG last week.
Jericho - I had a sore throat last week - you know how much of an effect that can have!
J.R. - Look at Jeff’s eyes - I’m not a doctor, but something’s wrong with Jeff Hardy.
Grisham - The Hart Dynasty knows wrestling, and Western Canada!
Grisham - Tyson Kidd trained by Bret Hart - in fact, he was the last trainee of the Hart Dungeon!
J.R. - Being a former official myself, I can tell you that the ref doesn’t want to stop the match!
(after a springboard Hart Attack)J.R. - SHADES OF THE HART FOUNDATION! TYSON KIDD PINS THE WORLD CHAMPION!
Vince - Exciting show…what have you got for next week?
Long - Punk and the Hart Dynasty taking on John Morrison and THE HARDYS!
(Vince smiles)Vince - …you’re still on probation…

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Not as good as Big Show.[/QUOTE]

Morrison or SD? Big Show is being wasted in a pointless tag team.

I missed the last 1/3 or so of Smackdown (everything after the Punk/Morrison match). Sucks I missed the Hardyz reunion, but I'm sure I can catch it on youtube early tomorrow.

Jeythegamefan, your reviews are worse than the shows you watch.

I just read that Linda McMahon wants to run for the US Senate as a Republican against Chris Dodd.

She might as well change her name to Iron Mike Sharpe (R-CT) because she's gonna get creamed. Not because Dodd has been in office for nearly three decades (not that I'm against term limits, mind), but because as opposition to a legacy Senator AND an incumbent, she has so little charisma she'd lose to a wilted stalk of celery in the primaries.

Linda McMahon running for US Senate is all you need to know about delusions of grandeur in the McMahon household. Wonder if they'll find themselves being investigated in 2011 for turning WWE Raw into a campaign platform for her bid for office?

"Harry Ried on a pole" match am confirmed.

Maybe because it's two big men who have a ton of potential every time you see them but end up being lame as fuck?

[quote name='mykevermin']Jeythegamefan, your reviews are worse than the shows you watch.

I just read that Linda McMahon wants to run for the US Senate as a Republican against Chris Dodd.

She might as well change her name to Iron Mike Sharpe (R-CT) because she's gonna get creamed. Not because Dodd has been in office for nearly three decades (not that I'm against term limits, mind), but because as opposition to a legacy Senator AND an incumbent, she has so little charisma she'd lose to a wilted stalk of celery in the primaries.

Linda McMahon running for US Senate is all you need to know about delusions of grandeur in the McMahon household. Wonder if they'll find themselves being investigated in 2011 for turning WWE Raw into a campaign platform for her bid for office?

"Harry Ried on a pole" match am confirmed.[/QUOTE]

She's got...

NO CHANCE! NO CHANCE IN HELL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIf_gDzI8pI&feature=related

That's a WWF home video that chronicles the Austin-McMahon feud, if you're interested.

I started watching wrestling around 99 and at that point McMahon's on air character was a full blown asshole, but I never knew that in the beginning of the feud he was just a regular boss and a much softer character. I also got in when Triple H was established as the top heel with the DX Army and McMahon Helmsley era, so that's probably why I saw Austin as more as a good guy. In most of these segments, Austin just looks like an asshole for no real reason. It's not even cool to me anymore. It must have been the times. I guess just as people in the 90s scoffed at the cheesyness of Hogan and his era, I turn my nose up at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back