The Thomas Memorial OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='seanr1221']High 70s, rain starts at 12 :cool:[/QUOTE]

Seems lit this has been the pattern forever...and at least the next 10 days. :cry:

The local news stations have predicted rain for the last two weeks, it's only rained a few times though. Today looks pretty likely.

PNYC is hands down the best Portishead album. Not only do they play the best songs off of their first two, but they sound better than the the studio recordings. All you have to do is compare the studio version of Roads to the PNYC version. The live one will send chills down your spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=notICxXTcsY

Third is completely different animal. It's more raw than the other albums and feels very different. I like it a lot.

fuck.

I am was going up to Waco today to take my placement test, register for classes and then put a deposit down for my dorm. However, they are out of the 2 people dorms, and instead I would have to be put on a waiting list.

Which means that I could live in a 4 person dorm, or have to pay for an expensive single person dorm. Both of which I don't really want to do.

[quote name='darthbudge']fuck.

I am was going up to Waco today to take my placement test, register for classes and then put a deposit down for my dorm. However, they are out of the 2 people dorms, and instead I would have to be put on a waiting list.

Which means that I could live in a 4 person dorm, or have to pay for an expensive single person dorm. Both of which I don't really want to do.[/QUOTE]
Have fun in remedial writing.;)

I've never liked the idea of having a random roommate forced on me. Maybe you get lucky and the guy isn't a total slob, but i wouldn't count on it.

[quote name='tiredfornow']*puts you in the corner with LinkinPrime*[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JolietJake']Have fun in remedial writing.;)[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='lordwow']How much more is a single than a double/quad there budge?[/QUOTE]

A single will cost $8,424 a year, a double will cost $5,784 a year and a quad will cost $4,332 a year.

EDIT: Plus the single room is unfurnished, whereas the double and quad rooms are.

I lived in a triple my freshman year.

One of the guys I thought was pretty cool when I met him, he ending being a complete ass. I should have known something was up when he kept telling me about how much he hated the other guy in the room.

The other guy was a "vampire" (code we using in housing about someone who stays up all night and sleeps all day), so he would wake up at midnight, code and shit on his computer until 8 AM, go to class and then go to bed. Obviously, that's not an ideal situation when you have 2 other people on a normal schedule, but I was out of the room most of the day anyway so I didn't really care, and I'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't bother me. I spent most of my time in the room trying to mediate the conflict between the two of them since I didn't dislike either.

The first guy ended up threatening the second guy and the second guy got moved out of our room into another dorm because of it. I didn't know what happened (he literally just disappeared one night) until 2 years later when the Hall Director was my boss as an RA.

As soon as the second kid left, the first kid started complaining about everything I did. So we ended up just not talking for the last 3 months we were there. I ended up becoming an RA because it was the only way I could guarantee getting a single room each year.

[quote name='darthbudge']:lol:

A single will cost $8,424 a year, a double will cost $5,784 a year and a quad will cost $4,332 a year.

EDIT: Plus the single room is unfurnished, whereas the double and quad rooms are.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Here a single room is $8,400/year, and a double room is $7,600/year, but that's only an academic year, and we live here year round, so a single is really $12,600/full year. So people are always dying to get a single for $100/more month.

[quote name='lordwow']I lived in a triple my freshman year.

One of the guys I thought was pretty cool when I met him, he ending being a complete ass. I should have known something was up when he kept telling me about how much he hated the other guy in the room.

The other guy was a "vampire" (code we using in housing about someone who stays up all night and sleeps all day), so he would wake up at midnight, code and shit on his computer until 8 AM, go to class and then go to bed. Obviously, that's not an ideal situation when you have 2 other people on a normal schedule, but I was out of the room most of the day anyway so I didn't really care, and I'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't bother me. I spent most of my time in the room trying to mediate the conflict between the two of them since I didn't dislike either.

The first guy ended up threatening the second guy and the second guy got moved out of our room into another dorm because of it. I didn't know what happened (he literally just disappeared one night) until 2 years later when the Hall Director was my boss as an RA.

As soon as the second kid left, the first kid started complaining about everything I did. So we ended up just not talking for the last 3 months we were there. I ended up becoming an RA because it was the only way I could guarantee getting a single room each year.[/QUOTE]I can't believe you guys give LinkinPrime so much shit about his grammar. :nottalking:

[quote name='lordwow']Wow. Here a single room is $8,400/year, and a double room is $7,600/year, but that's only an academic year, and we live here year round, so a single is really $12,600/full year. So people are always dying to get a single for $100/more month.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that makes me feel better, I was thinking that the rent at TSTC was kind of high.

I definitely want the double if at all possible, I mean I would get twice as much space in my bedroom, two closets instead of one, and my own bathroom instead of having to share one.

Just curious though, when you had the triple, how many square feet was the apartment?

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Anyone want to donate money to the "Get senorwoohoo out of R.I." fund?[/QUOTE]

You should move to Austin, Woohoo. :cool:

They don't say how big they are, but I'd guess around 350 sq ft. And it was pretty big, it was a "standard triple" as opposed to the "economy triples" where they shove a 3rd bed and desk into a double room (they just got rid of that for this upcoming year).

It was comfortable but not huge. And considering it was just 2 of us for half the year, it was roomy then.

Also, our doubles are really expensive because rent here is outrageous, you're looking at $1000-$1500/month for a studio if you live in the city where our dorms are.

[quote name='lordwow']They don't say how big they are, but I'd guess around 350 sq ft. And it was pretty big, it was a "standard triple" as opposed to the "economy triples" where they shove a 3rd bed and desk into a double room (they just got rid of that for this upcoming year).

It was comfortable but not huge. And considering it was just 2 of us for half the year, it was roomy then.[/QUOTE]

350 sq ft. per person or total?

The doubles here are 801 sq ft., and the quads are 875 sq ft.

For the double that includes two bedrooms, two bathrooms, 4 closets, a kitchen and living room.

The Quad basically cuts those two bedrooms in half, and sandwiches the bathroom in between them.

350 sq ft total.

For freshman, you live in like... a dorm room... not an apartment. It's just one big room.

Our upperclass apartments are bigger, I have no idea the square footage though. I live in a 750 sq ft 1 BR right now, and it's probably the biggest place I've been in.

The apartment I'll get for free if I take this grad asst. is like 500 sq ft for a 1 BR. But free is free.

[quote name='lordwow']350 sq ft total.

For freshman, you live in like... a dorm room... not an apartment. It's just one big room.

Our upperclass apartments are bigger, I have no idea the square footage though. I live in a 750 sq ft 1 BR right now, and it's probably the biggest place I've been in.

The apartment I'll get for free if I take this grad asst. is like 500 sq ft for a 1 BR. But free is free.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the single room here is like 497 sq ft.

Here is what the floor plans look like.

Double:
DoubleRoom.png

Quad:
QuadRoom.png

Ah... that's way different than what ours are.

A single here means you have your own bedroom in an apartment, like shown in that picture.

A double is that you share a bedroom with one other person in an apartment.

Most of our upperclass apartments are 5 people (2x double room - 1x single room).

Oh and we do have the single you're talking about, they're called studio singles (you have an apartment to yourself), there's about 50 of them on campus, and they go for about $10,000/year

[quote name='lordwow']Ah... that's way different than what ours are.

A single here means you have your own bedroom in an apartment, like shown in that picture.

A double is that you share a bedroom with one other person in an apartment.

Most of our upperclass apartments are 5 people (2x double room - 1x single room).[/QUOTE]

Oh ok. When I said single for like $8,424 a year, that is a studio single.

Also, they have doubles like that where you share a bedroom with someone else and they are dirt cheap, like $3,840 a year. But there is no way I could do that, unless maybe I got a really good friend to go with me.

The thing is, it's sometimes cheaper to live on.

Here's what $950/month gets you in Boston (the pics are when we went to look at the place, not our stuff):

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

That's also got no parking, so it's another $150+/month to get a space for your car.

lordwow, do you think your experiences your Freshman year helped you along in your career path as a professional RA?

Yes.

I mean, half the crap you deal with as an RA is really these "I hate my roommate" deals (The other half is drunk kids).

Oh and they ask you that sort of question when you apply munch, like "give me an example of a time you had to mediate a conflict between people"

My RA interview was my 2nd toughest interview I've ever had after my grad school interview at UCLA where I had to pitch a TV show. The good thing about the RA interview though is it's the same interview you get if you go into the field, so I had almost the same interview for the grad program I'm going into, and then again for when I applied for the grad assistant position. The lady who I interviewed with said I nailed the interview, but I've basically been through it 3 times, and given it to a dozen RA candidates over the years.

[quote name='lordwow']The thing is, it's sometimes cheaper to live on.

Here's what $950/month gets you in Boston (the pics are when we went to look at the place, not our stuff):

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

That's also got no parking, so it's another $150+/month to get a space for your car.[/QUOTE]Jesus Cristo!

The one plus side to that place was that we lived less than a 5 minute walk to work, 2 grocery stores, best buy, the post office, 2 train stations, and about 10 bus stops. Almost no one that goes to college in Boston keeps a car up here because it's so easy to get everywhere.

That is one thing I don't like about the campus in Waco. It is kind of separated off from the rest of the city by a huge highway, so I can't really walk anywhere, and there is no public transportation system. Which means that even if I want to go to Walmart to get a gallon of milk or something, I will need a car.

The part that sucks though is that I will only have a car every other month.

I don't have a picture of my bedroom, but here's an apartment I lived in twice (summer of 05 and fall/spring of 07/08) as an RA. It was 4 single bedrooms in a shared apt (and was by far the biggest place I lived in):

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

That's usually the first building to be taken by seniors in our housing lottery, it's 95% seniors and the other 5% are kids who got put in there when a senior dropped out of housing after they picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back