The Tragical History of Doctor Mana Knightus (Banned Users Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='evilmax17']If the only thing that comes of this thread is TMK being unbanned, then it would be a total loss. It's not just about him.

Currently, there are no set rules for when bans (permanent or otherwise) should be enforced. We have the TOS, but even that is selectively enforced.

Many have said it before, but I just want to make it clear. This isn't just about TMK. It's about defining a clear set of rules for when bans are necessary, making sure that punishments are being justly enforced, and that every member is treated equally. No matter who you are, how many posts you have, how many deals you've submitted, or who you happen to be friends with. The rules should equally apply to everybody.

One major suggestion in working toward this goal is the Banned User thread, which has been outlined in the OP and refined throughout this entire thread. This would add accountability to moderator actions, just in case somebody flies off the handle. Nobody is infallible, and that includes CAG staff. As somebody said previously in this thread, it creates a system of checks & balances. It's the job of the moderators to keep the community in line, but it's also the job of the community to keep the moderators in line. Everybody wins.

This isn't a TMK issue. This is a CAG issue.[/QUOTE]

You make it seem as though people are getting unrightfully banned everyday.

I agree with what the OP said that this thread should turn into an argument about whether TMK should be un-banned or not so I'll make this my last word on the subject.

If he does get reinstated, continues on as he did before which many here believe wasn't worthy of a ban, then gets banned again, where will that leave us ?

Arguing about whether he should have been banned in the first place ?

[quote name='zewone']You make it seem as though people are getting unrightfully banned everyday.[/QUOTE]
They are, I mean there was that guy selling cell phones in the Video Games Deals forums, and the person who's husband was wearing her bikini.

I can't believe what CAG has come to.

[quote name='benjamouth']I agree with what the OP said that this thread should turn into an argument about whether TMK should be un-banned or not so I'll make this my last word on the subject.

If he does get reinstated, continues on as he did before which many here believe wasn't worthy of a ban, then gets banned again, where will that leave us ?

Arguing about whether he should have been banned in the first place ?[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

[quote name='benjamouth']I agree with what the OP said that this thread should turn into an argument about whether TMK should be un-banned or not so I'll make this my last word on the subject.

Arguing about whether he should have been banned in the first place ?[/quote]

It'll leave us knowing that at least we did the right thing.

[quote name='Zen Davis']False what? I do believe that is indeed a racial slur in your post. I'm sure the moderators can find many more like it in your posts.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3630998&postcount=82
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3631346&postcount=134[/quote]
True, I confess, I'm guilty of hate crimes against 16-bit sprites.

Who's talkin' to you genius? He was talkin' about me responding to Thomas.. w/ him you know, not even reading the thread and jumping on Trakan for supposedly banning TMK. Run along, no room for :baby:s here. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

From my understanding, a mod is supposed to make sure that people don't say really nasty, biligerent things such as racial slurs, threats, etc. Participating in an argument shouldn't get you banned, being involved in an argument defending a product you like shouldn't get you banned. Talk about games, and deals, that's what CAG is about.

Trakan I read those posts by TMK... is that all you got.. because that definitely not ban material.

How about you be the bigger man, unban ManaKnight and give him an apology...

actually I meant to say... just be a man and admit that perhaps you acted a little prematurely, or in haste. No one's perfect, but you made a bad decision and I think you need make it right.

Arguing about whether he should have been banned in the first place ?[/quote]I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not he broke the ToS by his behavior. The issue here is that A) there seems to be no consistency--why him and not others who've done the same crap (some in this thread even!) and B) why was this done without warning of it's occurance leading up to it? A simple PM or post from a mod warning of imbending banning, a continuation of poor ToS-breaking behavior, and bam, out he goes, no questions asked.

I've not seen that this is how this was handled. My issues, as evilmax said, is not just for ManaKnight, but what this means for CAG as a whole. If I say something that a mod doesn't like am I gonna get the boot without warning?

[quote name='Thomas96']From my understanding, a mod is supposed to make sure that people don't say really nasty, biligerent things such as racial slurs, threats, etc. Participating in an argument shouldn't get you banned, being involved in an argument defending a product you like shouldn't get you banned. Talk about games, and deals, that's what CAG is about.

Trakan I read those posts by TMK... is that all you got.. because that definitely not ban material.

actually I meant to say... just be a man and admit that perhaps you acted a little prematurely, or in haste. No one's perfect, but you made a bad decision and I think you need make it right.[/QUOTE]
Do you regularly walk around attacking people so they change their mind?

[quote name='Thomas96']From my understanding, a mod is supposed to make sure that people don't say really nasty, biligerent things such as racial slurs, threats, etc. Participating in an argument shouldn't get you banned, being involved in an argument defending a product you like shouldn't get you banned. Talk about games, and deals, that's what CAG is about.

actually I meant to say... just be a man and admit that perhaps you acted a little prematurely, or in haste. No one's perfect, but you made a bad decision and I think you need make it right.[/QUOTE]

Kid take the night off because you keep sticking it to the wrong person. Trak didn't ban him, I did and I ain't unbanning him.

Because you can't get it through your head, I will stick it in my sig and my user title. I am tired of all you not knowing how to read and giving Linkin and Trak shit they don't deserve.

[quote name='The Crotch']No, it's fucking not, god dammit. I'm fine with that being discussed, as it tangentially related to my main goal here, but it is not the biggest issue we're dealing with here.

Also, what Evilmax said.[/QUOTE]

you should be banned for your beligerance... j/k but I'm not offended by what you said. Well okay, I need to use your thread to get TMK unbanned. Then we'll deal with your issue... what's your issue?

[quote name='daroga']Can a mod explain to me, given the swell of support for the action from many of the high-profile members in this thread, what would be so bad about letting him back in under probabtion and if he still doesn't change, getting him the permanent boot? Like Zen, I would not go to bat for him at all under these circumstances.

But for now, I'm on the side of our CAG staff treating people fairly and properly, which I'm not convinced happened in this case.[/QUOTE]
I'm still not sure why he has to change. So long as he doesn't continually and extraordinarily harass other members, he should be free to be nutjob fanboy that he is. If that somehow becomes a major problem, then ban him. That's really what has confused me in the first place. When was TMK such a major problem that he had to be banned. Annoying? Absofruitly. But I don't remember people calling for his head on a stick. We all just hated him because he was delusional.

Anyway, this thread grown fast and I don't think I can respond to every ridiculous post I've read in the past few pages. I think it's pretty well established that I'm right.

I'd go so far as to say I was right the whole time, but I don't think Zew would approve.

[quote name='docvinh']Do you regularly walk around attacking people so they change their mind?[/QUOTE]

yeah but usually for more serious things... only way I know how to attack an issue.

This is ridiculous, I understand the Sony Defense Force is saddened by the loss of their leader, but it's over. He was either a) a crazed Sony Fanboy that did everything in his power to annoying and started flame wars because he couldn't learn to let shit go or b) a fake, stephen cobert-like personality that was annoying and started flame wars for his own amusement.

He's been gone for a week and CAG is much improved for it. If the SDF is that desperate to continue this inane console war, then just elect whoknows as your new TMK and be done with it. Granted, the mods will just wipe you out one by one until the damn SDF is no more, but you're welcomed to try.

[quote name='whoknows']They are, I mean there was that guy selling cell phones in the Video Games Deals forums, and the person who's husband was wearing her bikini.

I can't believe what CAG has come to.[/QUOTE]

Then fucking leave.

That's it the mods really need to lay down the law. TMK is banned, doesn't really matter what you think. Can't stand that? Then leave, but don't let the door hit you in the vag on the way out.

[quote name='Thomas96']yeah but usually for more serious things... only way I know how to attack an issue.[/QUOTE]
Dude, you were accusing the wrong guy of banning TMK......is this like a diversion so TMK can sneak in the back door or something?:)

[quote name='-Never4ever-']This is ridiculous, I understand the Sony Defense Force is saddened by the loss of their leader, but it's over. He was either a) a crazed Sony Fanboy that did everything in his power to annoying and started flame wars because he couldn't learn to let shit go or b) a fake, stephen cobert-like personality that was annoying and started flame wars for his own amusement.

He's been gone for a week and CAG is much improved for it. If the SDF is that desperate to continue this inane console war, then just elect whoknows as your new TMK and be done with it. Granted, the mods will just wipe you out one by one until the damn SDF is no more, but you're welcomed to try.[/QUOTE]
I hardly think daroga, Zen Davis, and I are members of the Sony Defense Force.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']This is ridiculous, I understand the Sony Defense Force is saddened by the loss of their leader, but it's over. He was either a) a crazed Sony Fanboy that did everything in his power to annoying and started flame wars because he couldn't learn to let shit go or b) a fake, stephen cobert-like personality that was annoying and started flame wars for his own amusement.

He's been gone for a week and CAG is much improved for it. If the SDF is that desperate to continue this inane console war, then just elect whoknows as your new TMK and be done with it. Granted, the mods will just wipe you out one by one until the damn SDF is no more, but you're welcomed to try.[/QUOTE]
That's pretty much a TMK post right there.

Ban him.

[quote name='daroga']So, members of CAG who have concerns about things like this at just SOL? Nice.[/quote] [quote name='Trakan']If you have a problem with one of the mods or how he/she handles themselves, take it up with Cheapy via PM.[/quote].

That's not the issue, never4ever, not at all. It's the way this was done and the complete lack of reasonable explanation for such quick and final judgment.

But now those being questioned have backed themselves into a corner and couldn't possible change their mind less they look weak. If things had just been handled properly in the first place, and/or the mods were transparent about why things like this occur (as is the goal of this thread after all), I think you'd see a lot of different takes on the matter.

This isn't a SDF loss. This is a CAG loss in the manner of a unfortunate precedent being set.

I don't know why you always attack me, but k.

I throw 2 more cents in. At this point who cares about mana, its done. As for the accountability for the mods actions, thats pretty much cheapy's job and the mods police each other. There have been several occasions where a second mod intervenes and cooler heads prevail. I think it has been said before if you have a problem with a mod take it up with them. Still have a problem take it up with Cheapy...

Why don't we focus more on suggestions on how to handle things moving forward. I am sure the TOS was a starting point, but the site has probably outgrown the original intent. It could be worthwhile to have more defined guidelines for the users to understand and the mods to act on.

[quote name='evilmax17'].[/quote]If such things had produced any satisfactory answers when I tried them this week, I wouldn't be here right now.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Kid take the night off because you keep sticking it to the wrong person. Trak didn't ban him, I did and I ain't unbanning him.

Because you can't get it through your head, I will stick it in my sig and my user title. I am tired of all you not knowing how to read and giving Linkin and Trak shit they don't deserve.[/QUOTE]

how about you stick it up your ass...

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Kid take the night off because you keep sticking it to the wrong person. Trak didn't ban him, I did and I ain't unbanning him.

Because you can't get it through your head, I will stick it in my sig and my user title. I am tired of all you not knowing how to read and giving Linkin and Trak shit they don't deserve.[/quote]

You're acting like it's something to be proud of. It's not. The fact that you're flaunting it says a lot about you and none of it is good.

The Mana Knight is gone. He wont be coming back, and for good reasons.
The dude was a little stalker happy, and he knew who I was on facebook without ever meeting him in real life.

This thread has turned into an all out war, and has completely gone off topic.

[quote name='Thomas96']how about you stick it up your ass...[/QUOTE]
On a more serious note, I think Thomas is truly asking for it. Would anyone object to him getting the shaft? I swear I won't say a peep if he finds himself on the wrong end of the banhammer.

[quote name='daroga']So, members of CAG who have concerns about things like this at just SOL? Nice.[/QUOTE]
You can't please everyone.

Sometimes we just have to roll with the punches or call it quits.

[quote name='Thomas96']how about you stick it up your ass...[/QUOTE]

I ain't going to ban you since I ain't playing your game. You want to make me ban you so that everyone rallies around all the Sony fanboys and keeps beating up on all the mods. That ain't going to happen, but this thread is now going to be locked. Don't start another one either.

After reading through this thread, I understand that CAGs have various concerns. I promise I will address them, hopefully to (at least a majority of) the CAGs satisfaction.

However, at this point, I agree not much more can be gained from continuing this "discussion", as its pretty much derailed into drama over substance. I agree it's time to close this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back