The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Art Book Pre-Order Thread
I am totally ripping off Ionotropic's CE Guide Thread's Wiki format. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Alien: Isolation, The Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 7, 2014)
Publisher: Titan Books
Page Count: 176
Amazon $26.56

Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook

Author: Ubisoft (November 4, 2014)
Publisher: Insight Editions
Page Count: 152
Amazon $28.46

Batman: Arkham Trilogy, The Art of

Author: Rocksteady Studios (April 14, 2015)
Publisher: Abrams
Page Count: 320
Amazon $27.51

Book of Life, The Art of

Author: Jorge Gutierrez and Guillermo del Toro (September 30, 2014)
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Page Count: 184
Amazon $24.91

Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works

Author: Keiji Inufane, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Capcom (September 9, 2014)
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Page Count: 192
Amazon $28.06

Destiny, The Art of

Author: Bungie (December 16, 2014)
Page Count: 160
Amazon $32.10 ($45.00 MSRP)

Destiny: The Poster Collection

Author: Insight Editions (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 40
Amazon $18.62 ($24.99 MSRP)

Devil May Cry: A Divine Comedy

Author: Medhi El Kanafi / Nicolas Courcier (July 22, 2014)
Publisher: Les Edition Pix'N Love
Amazon $37.04

Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives

Author: Bethesda Games (November 25, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Art of
Author: Bioware (October 7, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Inquisitor Edition

Author: Bungie (November 18, 2014)
Publisher: Prima
Page Count: 368
Amazon $107.99 ($119.99 MSRP)

Evil Within, The Art of
Author: Bethesda Games (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

5th Cell, The Art of
Author: Edison Yan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 168
Amazon $29.99

Gran Turismo 5, Art of

Author: Daniel Wade (November 11, 2014)
Publisher: Ballistic Publishing
Page Count: 256
Amazon $40.95
51eTmiAUyYL._SS500_.jpg

Naughty Dog, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (October 14, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Resident Evil 6 Artworks

Author: Capcom (October 7, 2014)
Page Count: 272
Amazon $31.20

SF25: The Art of Street Fighter

Author: Capcom (August 12, 2014)
Page Count: 448
Amazon $40.64

UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition

Author: Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, Jeffrey Chamba Cruz, Joe Ng, and Omar Dogan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 600!
Amazon $53.23

Uncharted Trilogy, The Art of the

Author: Naughty Dog (April 28, 2015)
Page Count: 240
Amazon $30.00

Witcher, The World of

Author: CD Projekt Red (March 17, 2015)
Amazon $27.10
============================
Previously Released Art Book Archive
============================

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Previously Released]

Assassin's Creed III, Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 144
Amazon $19.77
Special Features: Hardcover

Atelier: Artworks of Arland

Author: Mel Kishida, Gust (May 5, 2013)
Amazon $28.11

Bayonetta: Eyes of

Author: Sega (July 11, 2013)
Page Count: 224
Amazon $31.49
Special Features: DVD

Bioshock Infinite: Art of

Author: Ken Levine (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $23.52

Blizzard, Art of

Author: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, Chris Metzen (December 25, 2012)
Page Count: 352
Amazon $47.25

Borderlands 2, Art of

Author: BradyGames (November 5, 2012)
Page Count: 208
Amazon $25.00

Darksiders II, Art of

Author: Joe Madureira, THQ (November 13, 2012)
Page Count: 200
Amazon $24.99

Dead Space: Art Of (Clamshell Edition) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Page Count: 224 (192 Normal + 32 Exclusive)
Limited Time You Get A Chrome Plated Marker Pendant As A Bonus (dead)
EA Store $65.00

Dead Space: Art of (Regular) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Amazon $23.07

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection (June 11, 2013)

Amazon $26.57

Eve: Source

Author: CCP Games (March 18, 2014)
Amazon $29.22
Final Fantasy, The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 800
Book Depository (US) $104.99
Special Features: Hardcover, Boxed Set

Final Fantasy (Slipcase Edition), The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (July 2, 2013)
Page Count: 576
Amazon $56.69
Special Features: Hardcover, Slipcase Edition

Growlanser Art Works
Author: Satoshi Urushihara (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $24.99

Halo 4, Awakening: Art of

Author: Paul Davies (November 6, 2012)
Amazon $23.07

Heroes and Heroines: Japanese Video Game + Animation Illustration

Editor: Yoshiyuki Oba (October 2, 2012)
Publisher: PIE International
Amazon $16.74

Kingdom Hearts, The Artwork of

Author: Shiro Amano (October 29, 2013)
Publisher: Yen Press
Amazon $21.16

The Last of Us, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (July 16, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.03

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia

Author: Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Akira Himekawa (January 29, 2013)
Amazon $20.99

Mario Goodies Collection
Author: Naughty Dog Studios (May 28, 2014)
Publisher: Les Editions Pix'N Love
Amazon $26.88

Remember Me, The Art of

Author: Various (May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.39

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: Official Complete Works

Author: Capcom (November 6, 2012)
Page Count: 152
Amazon $24.99

Shining Hearts: Collection of Visual Materials

Author: Tony Taka, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Amazon $24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog, History of

Author: Marc Petronille, William Audureau, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Page Count: 300
Amazon $23.09

Takehito Harada Art Works

Author: Takehito Harada (April 9, 2013)
Amazon $24.99
Features:
All four Disgaea titles, as well as Prinny 1 & 2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave

Tomb Raider: Art of Survival

Author: BradyGames (March 18, 2013)
Publisher: BradyGames
Amazon $26

Transformers, Art of Fall of Cybertron

Author: Mark Bellomo (October 23, 2012)
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Amazon $23.09

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Complete Artworks

Author: Raita Honjou (March 26, 2013)
Amazon $29.69

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Possibly Cancelled?]

Assassin's Creed: Art ( R )evolution

Editor: Debora Ferrari (October 2, 2012)
Amazon $19.46

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (October 15, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

League of Legends, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (July 16, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

Portal 2, Art of (currently MIA)

Author: Andy McVittie (November 13, 2012)
Amazon $23.09
[URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N"]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N[/url]"][/url]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457""]B&N[/url][/URL]$23.12

Twisted Metal, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (May 14, 2013)
Amazon $40.95
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
Via CAG Twitters:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/990594555685810176

Bought the original Japanese edition years ago. That said, looks like I'll have two copies soon! Normally, I wouldn't double-dip on such a thing, but there's a lot of text in these 25th Anniversary Ultimanias Ultimania Archives (and FFVII is my favorite game of all time) :razz:

Via CAG Twitters:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/990594555685810176

Bought the original Japanese edition years ago. That said, looks like I'll have two copies soon! Normally, I wouldn't double-dip on such a thing, but there's a lot of text in these 25th Anniversary Ultimanias Ultimania Archives (and FFVII is my favorite game of all time) :razz:
How is different from that big box set that came out a while ago? I was able to nab one of the signed ones as well as the slip case one to actually open.

How is different from that big box set that came out a while ago? I was able to nab one of the signed ones as well as the slip case one to actually open.
The 25th Anniversary Ultimanias/Ultimania Archives are more general artbooks than just collections of Amano art. There's a ton of concept drawings, Nomura character art, vehicle and background art/renderings, summon storyboards, and so on. This blog post has plenty of photos of Vol. 2; it should give you a good idea of the contents.

Forgot I preordered Volume 1. :lol:

Placed a preorder for this one too. But I hope the price drops to 20ish like that last one.

The book posted above just dropped to $23.99 pre-order price. It's the 4th in the Dark Horse Zelda series, so expect an expensive Limited Edition to go with it.

Preordered the second ultimania book and Breath of the Wild (even though I didn't like the game much). Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the Metal Gear and Mega Man books. I've already spent more on art books this year then I tend to spend on the games themselves. Wish the MGS book wasn't so expensive.

Preordered the second ultimania book and Breath of the Wild (even though I didn't like the game much). Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the Metal Gear and Mega Man books. I've already spent more on art books this year then I tend to spend on the games themselves. Wish the MGS book wasn't so expensive.
LOL, I feel ya, as I often spend more on books than games. Most games for me I only buy once $20 and under are reached, and only buy other options when limited are not around long. These books once out of print, often rise up pretty good, so most good publications are solid buys, at least for me personally.

Are you referring to the Art Of Metal Gear Solid 1-4? Yeah, that's the going rate for really nice quality books. But there are many in the 20-30 range that can be very good as well.

Here's a tip, that I don't think I've ever seen posted here before, so as soon as any books are announced, reserve them on Amazon ASAP. At some point during the pre-order period, prices always drop to some insane number, and if an item is reserved, you get that price locked each time. I have that Metal Gear book at $47.99, the Zelda Encyclopedia Deluxe is the same, as is the Super Mario Encyclopedia Deluxe Edition.

LOL, I feel ya, as I often spend more on books than games. Most games for me I only buy once $20 and under are reached, and only buy other options when limited are not around long. These books once out of print, often rise up pretty good, so most good publications are solid buys, at least for me personally.

Are you referring to the Art Of Metal Gear Solid 1-4? Yeah, that's the going rate for really nice quality books. But there are many in the 20-30 range that can be very good as well.

Here's a tip, that I don't think I've ever seen posted here before, so as soon as any books are announced, reserve them on Amazon ASAP. At some point during the pre-order period, prices always drop to some insane number, and if an item is reserved, you get that price locked each time. I have that Metal Gear book at $47.99, the Zelda Encyclopedia Deluxe is the same, as is the Super Mario Encyclopedia Deluxe Edition.
That's a good way to look at it, I guess some of them such as the Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive skyrocketed in value (it's a shame I didn't pick up that one when I had the chance). Yeah, I was referring to the MGS1-4 book. It's a shame I didn't hear about it until recently. Probably would have picked it up for that price.

Thanks for the tip. I just went with the standard versions of the Mario and Zelda encyclopedias, but preordered them right away so was able to get the price drop. I thought about getting that new Amano limited book (I don't normally go with limited editions), but hesitated and now that one is $25 or so more. Not sure yet about that one. Might just wait for a deal on the standard, but then I'd miss out on the Blu-ray.

Last edited:
I was looking at my book preorders on Amazon and I realize I have a good amount. Around 8 or so. :T

:lol:
LOL, I'm currently at 9 on Amazon, and that includes the Eyes Of Bayonetta 2 which I just ordered earlier this morning. One of those 9 is a standard version of a CE in that amount as well, but I'll cancel one before release, so technically I'm at 8 I guess.

I have a few KS/GoGo books in the fire currently(probably 4-5). I also have a few coming up like the Sega Master System Compendium in early July by Bitmap Books. I'll also be preordering their Point & Click art book as well in the next few weeks, before preorders close for the CE around the same time.

So I'm at 15-20 at any given time I suppose, as once I receive one, there's normally another one to be ordered ASAP.

The Sega Master System: A Visual Compendium by Bitmap Books is live on Kickstarter. These books are beyond amazing, and I've been looking forward to this one for some time. The Master System certainly doesn't get the love it should, as it was a rather great system, with some killer games. Some of these books have been offered on Amazon, but Bitmap has been trying to keep their most recent offerings away from there, so no telling if this will ever be offered at better prices. 

For anyone who is a fan of these types of publications, do yourself a favor and buy direct. As it allows for the creators to make more money, and also allows for bigger and better future projects.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/sega-master-system-a-visual-compendium?ref=487603&token=fcb5306b

The newest book from Darren Wall is up on KS, and it's a Sega Pop Up History Book of all things. His past books include the "Collected Works", which was first offered for the Mega Drive/Genesis, and was so popular it got a second print. The Dreamcast CW is on the way after having a killer KS campaign as well.

Of course all the "Early Bird" options are gone, as you have to be there when these go live, since the qty's are always so small. I'm always happy to support projects like this, so the discount while great, isn't the end of the world. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-arcade-pop-up-history

Looks interesting, but it only has 5 pop-up models. I wonder if those are the only games that will be covered, or will there be normal pages discussing other Sega arcade games.

Looks interesting, but it only has 5 pop-up models. I wonder if those are the only games that will be covered, or will there be normal pages discussing other Sega arcade games.
Yeah, I was wondering the same. In the comments, he states the 5 are for the deluxe models and more will be offered. It's kind of a plan as you go, as depending on final numbers dollar wise, will mean what can and won't be done. But as new things are added, they will be mentioned in the KS updates. So for anyone on the fence, just set the reminder, so that way when the end is near, you can see specifically what will be included and then decide if it's enough for the price.

I'm going to bite on the popup book! It's going to be one of those instances where I wish I would have got it if I dont get it. Besides, even if there are 5 layouts with popups, it looks really good!

Well, two new versions of the Zelda book due out in November have been announced and are open for pre-orders. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Creating a Champion is getting a deluxe standard version, and then GS is getting an exclusive deluxe version. I actually prefer the cheaper deluxe version over the GS edition, which is great, as now I won't need to deal with GS. Plus I'm sure the Amazon version will be reduce in price well before release.

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Breath-Wild-Creating-Champion/dp/1506710115/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=sec2002-20&linkId=0510e7c769ab4a94ae60984245248841

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/toys/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-create-a-calamity-artbook-champions-edition-summer-convention-exclusive-2018/164473

Well, two new versions of the Zelda book due out in November have been announced and are open for pre-orders. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Creating a Champion is getting a deluxe standard version, and then GS is getting an exclusive deluxe version. I actually prefer the cheaper deluxe version over the GS edition, which is great, as now I won't need to deal with GS. Plus I'm sure the Amazon version will be reduce in price well before release.

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Breath-Wild-Creating-Champion/dp/1506710115/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=sec2002-20&linkId=0510e7c769ab4a94ae60984245248841

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibles/toys/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-create-a-calamity-artbook-champions-edition-summer-convention-exclusive-2018/164473
Thanks, I put an order in for the standard deluxe edition at Amazon and used the PRIMEBOOKS18 code for $5 off. Hopefully it drops to around $50 like some of the other CE books have done lately.

Thanks, I put an order in for the standard deluxe edition at Amazon and used the PRIMEBOOKS18 code for $5 off. Hopefully it drops to around $50 like some of the other CE books have done lately.
Yep, that's why I try to order ASAP at Amazon, as at some point they'll drop the price, then I'm locked in for the lower rate once this ships. So we'll probably get it for the $59 or so when it's all said and done, and with that kind of price, I just can't justify the GS version. Having to preorder at some store and then hope it arrives in one piece on top of their overall poor service, no thanks.

Hopefully they make a shit ton, or hopefully the price will scare buyers off, so then we can look forward to a massive discount down the road. Then of course I'll consider it, but at it's current price, not worth the potential issues.

I had no idea what to get, so I placed a preorder down for the Megaman Art Book coming out in October with the code.

When the other book code comes out around Black Friday (like it usually does), I'll be sure to get some Light Novels or something

Thought I'd share my collection if anyone was curious; I've added quite a few more as this pic is a few months old. Click for more

I'm curious to see how others keep their artbooks/where they keep them?

Thought I'd share my collection if anyone was curious; I've added quite a few more as this pic is a few months old. Click for more

I'm curious to see how others keep their artbooks/where they keep them?

Pretty nice collection. I'm surprised there's no bend to your shelves with the amount of weight on it. Where are they from?

Pretty nice collection. I'm surprised there's no bend to your shelves with the amount of weight on it. Where are they from?
I believe they’re regular old IKEA shelves, they were left in a suite someone moved out from, building just gave them to me.

And yeah, I’m very surprised how strong they’ve been, I’d like to pick up some new shelving units, heh.

New Zelda book has 2 pretty intense collector's editions.

Hero's Edition ($99.99)

zelda-breath-wild-creating-a-hero.jpg

Champion's Edition ($149.99, Gamestop Exclusive)

173270b.jpg

Went ahead and pre-ordered the Hero's edition from Amazon hoping for a price drop, but don't think I can bring myself to drop $150 for that Champion's edition.

The orbs are a really neat touch for both, though.

New Zelda book has 2 pretty intense collector's editions.

Hero's Edition ($99.99)

zelda-breath-wild-creating-a-hero.jpg

Champion's Edition ($149.99, Gamestop Exclusive)

173270b.jpg

Went ahead and pre-ordered the Hero's edition from Amazon hoping for a price drop, but don't think I can bring myself to drop $150 for that Champion's edition.

The orbs are a really neat touch for both, though.
Yeah, I went the Amazon route as well for the discount, as the GS set is cool, but to much for full retail. Plus I personally just don't like to support GS, and paying full price for any books now a days just doesn't make sense. As I stated earlier, hopefully the GS edition is over produced or passed over because of that high ass price. Then we can all look forward to a killer discount next year, and for sure I'll get it then, but not before. LOL

Did someone say art book collections?!

(Strategy guides included due to sharing a shelf)
428a2d7cb1c1b9ecad74845e7e144600.jpg
2eb18f54f19a7b4c3190589a78c50d24.jpg
40abd284d01ecb66209060e7b043bfee.jpg
7a9f976c4bf39d9d5cbba91fb88c40ed.jpg
be60be8cc761a5a9368118a6608661d5.jpg
e44b50ddd7a598edf479a9d2edf94f00.jpg
25ed039a6fcb73640a5f320d62014db6.jpg
8f368554f2e66525d93961d88b616f0e.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

My collection lol. Got so big my brother had to let me convert one of our closets into a mini library room. I really need to go through and reorganize it or possibly get a new shelf, had to shift all my strategy guides to the side because they were taking too much space

My collection is pretty evenly split between gaming, comics, art/design/illustration, cartoon/animation books, and television/movie stuff.

hfk1Gua.jpg

vqEqePG.jpg

Could you guys maybe spoiler these? They stretch the page out something awful, not to mention the extra bandwidth if you're browsing on data.

Pre-ordered the $150 Zelda Champions Exclusive in-store at GameStop.  Pricey, but it's Zelda, so I must have it.

Now I just need to track down someone willing to sell me their LE Hyrule Historia...

From my experience, do not buy the Billy Bookcase shelves from ikea for artbooks or strategy guides. I had my collection (pictured previously) on them, and they were going to break within a few days. Add up the weight of x amount of these heavy assed books and compare to what the shelves can handle. You either need smaller shelves (length wise), or a higher quality shelf. I found that solid wood or metal was the only thing that could handle this many heavy books with longer, larger shelves. There's more expense this way, but it can properly handle the weight, at least. 

From my experience, do not buy the Billy Bookcase shelves from ikea for artbooks or strategy guides. I had my collection (pictured previously) on them, and they were going to break within a few days. Add up the weight of x amount of these heavy assed books and compare to what the shelves can handle. You either need smaller shelves (width wise), or a higher quality shelf. I found that solid wood or metal was the only thing that could handle this many heavy books with longer, larger shelves. There's more expense this way, but it can properly handle the weight, at least.
The only moderately cheap option I've found (gone through many many many bookshelves) that can hold bigger books well are the big cube organizers, which work great. Shelves are short and thick. Have a 5x5 with a 1x5 on either side with a bunch of comic omnibuses and the like loaded up and it's shown zero signs of warping.

The only moderately cheap option I've found (gone through many many many bookshelves) that can hold bigger books well are the big cube organizers, which work great. Shelves are short and thick. Have a 5x5 with a 1x5 on either side with a bunch of comic omnibuses and the like loaded up and it's shown zero signs of warping.
Yeah, the short and thick shelves are an absolute must if you're going for cheap shelving!

Lately, Amazon hasn't been to bad actually, as I got a damaged book a few days ago, but that was the first one in awhile. I have a distro center in town, so when they deliver locally, I get much better service. As the items in question aren't being slammed around days at a time traveling across country by UPS, USPS or FedEx.

For big heavy books like this one, I get damaged more often than not sadly, unless they are the CE ones that come in there own cardboard protective box. I can already imagine the big box they used, with 2-4 of those bubble packets that all but one will have popped, so the books will be slamming around. So the box may have a big hole as well, but time will tell. LOL

Got Ultimania. As usual, the corners are dented. I won't return for that but I noticed a few diagonal slit marks on the front cover and side. Not sure if they are marks or just the shrinkwrap. Don't know if I should open it.

Last edited:
Got Ultimania. As usual, the corners are dented. I won't return for that but I noticed a few diagonal slit marks on the front cover and side. Not sure if they are marks or just the shrinkwrap. Don't know if I should open it.
Well, just got mine and one has dented corners, while the other copy is perfect, so the damaged one will be going back tomorrow. They actually used a smaller box this time, with 3 of the bubble packs, and none got popped.

Since the box was on the smaller side, it of course was beat to shit, which is why the corners on one got dented up. Who ever packaged this, actually faced the books in opposite directions, which was good, as it kept both copies from suffering the same fate.

Debating whether to get the gf the Horizon: Zero Dawn artbook or the Rise of the Tomb Raider artbook. Do you guys have any opinions on either?

bread's done
Back