Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
iconamazon.gif
Amazon
Consoles* Amazon did not take preorders, see note.
Games

iconbestbuy.gif
Best Buy
Consoles Both models sold out online & in store
Games

icongs_r1.gif
Gamestop
Games

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Toys R Us
Games

icontarget.gif
Target
Games

iconwalmart_r3.gif
Walmart
Consoles
Wii U Bundle Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Wii U Deluxe Sold out online & in store
Wii U Basic Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Games

Sears
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken

kmart.gif
Kmart
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in-store pre-orders were not taken

newegg.gif
Newegg
Deluxe Bundle Bundled with New Super Mario Bros U, Black Ops 2, and Zombi U-Out of Stock
Games

iconplayasia.gif
Play-Asia
Consoles/Games Reservation List Only for NTSC Basic & Deluxe models

Fry's Electronics
Consoles Both models sold out online
Games

Staples
Games

J&R
Consoles Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location.
Games

Nebraska Furniture Mart
Accessories
Games

:hot:Nintendo World Store
Consoles: Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location in NYC.

Notes:

• Newegg, as of now (Friday before launch) is selling the deluxe console as a bundle only. It is listed for immediate shipping, not as a pre-order.

• *Amazon email sent out to those who signed up for Wii U pre-order notification:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change. We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out. Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
System Information

YWbCj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='St4rgalaqtic']Ok I preordered a Wii at my local gamestop out of just the joy of next gen systems same thing I do with all systems. But I really don't want it, I will end up selling it on ebay. Does anyone else do this, I remember when Xbox360 and PS3 first came out and I got all excited and racked up a $1800 credit card bill by buying like 3 of each. But sold the extras and cleared my bill, but I don't want to do that with the Wii U as I am not really that excited about it. Next xbox and ps3 may be different tho lol[/QUOTE]

You have a problem.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']You have a problem.[/QUOTE]

Not really, I will admit that I was young and stupid tho lol. But I am pretty sure everyone did stupid things when the HD generation of consoles came out. I remember friends sleeping in best buys parking lot waiting for the PS3 lol.

Well I have mine preordered and I will have it paid in full by release day. Just do not know what game I am going to get on launch. That is the hard one. Will have to be a game that is not on the other systems.

[quote name='Yaris']Really?[/QUOTE]

It's analog, so it could just come down to the fact that those GameCube component cables were QUALITY cables and most of the Wii component cables are garbage, but GC w/ component looks better on my 32" 4:3 HDTV and my 42" plasma than my Wii does with my Wii component cables. Whether it's cable quality or something deeper in the hardware, I don't know (the GC DID use a special port designed for the component cables), but that's my experience.

I see, it could be because the Gamecube component cable had a processing chip inside it whereas the Wii's is inside the console, possibly exposing it to some I/O interference. I have a Gamecube with the component cable and have played GC games on a Wii with the component cable and didn't notice much difference. It's a shame the Wii has such a low resolution, playing it after using dolphin on my high end PC looks really bad.

Were you guys using official Wii component cables? Wonder if that makes a difference? (I always wanted official GC cables but never found them cheap.) I do have the official Wii cables though.

So, I got a full refund on my credit card for the BB preorder. I called 1-888-Best-Buy and the lady said the order was fine, but she would need me to read her my card number so it can get charged again, and that the preorder charge occurs every six days. Does that make sense to anyone?

[quote name='Rig']Were you guys using official Wii component cables? Wonder if that makes a difference? (I always wanted official GC cables but never found them cheap.) I do have the official Wii cables though.[/QUOTE]

I'm not, which might be the issue. I could never justify $35 for cables when I didn't know whether they'd make a difference over the $10 ones. My GC component cables were a $10 used find at a GameStop. Man, I never looked back...it made those GC games look AMAZING at the time :).

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So, I got a full refund on my credit card for the BB preorder. I called 1-888-Best-Buy and the lady said the order was fine, but she would need me to read her my card number so it can get charged again, and that the preorder charge occurs every six days. Does that make sense to anyone?[/QUOTE]

You do realize the difference between an actual charge on your credit card and a simple pre-authorization hold to verify you have credit right? Assuming you are like 93% of people on this thread and don't know the difference, what happened is that you were never charged anything. And you weren't refunded anything because you were never charged in the first place. You simply had a pending charge which is basically their way of making sure you actually have money available.

[quote name='ProppaT']GC with component cables look a hell of a lot better than GC games on a Wii with component cables.[/QUOTE]

I have NEVER heard of this. Pics or source. Otherwise, they are both the same in quality, however Wii is more convenient because its cable is cheap.

[quote name='croqoa']You do realize the difference between an actual charge on your credit card and a simple pre-authorization hold to verify you have credit right? Assuming you are like 93% of people on this thread and don't know the difference, what happened is that you were never charged anything. And you weren't refunded anything because you were never charged in the first place. You simply had a pending charge which is basically their way of making sure you actually have money available.[/QUOTE]
...Yes, I do realize that. Not sure how this answers my question. I was asking if it sounded right for the BB rep to need my credit card number to recharge the order when I've never had this asked of me for a preorder, ever. Were you able to read my question?

At any rate, I actually got a call from Chase after my post, and they flagged it for fraud. BB also sent an email earlier this morning stating they were having a problem with my order. So a fraud flag actually makes sense and unfortunately, the BB rep didn't know to say that there was a problem with authorization of my order.

Thanks for your response though.

[quote name='mr.ratburn']I have NEVER heard of this. Pics or source. Otherwise, they are both the same in quality, however Wii is more convenient because its cable is cheap.[/QUOTE]

I'd heard of it too. Google it

[quote name='mr.ratburn']I have NEVER heard of this. Pics or source. Otherwise, they are both the same in quality, however Wii is more convenient because its cable is cheap.[/QUOTE]

Never bothered to see if others noticed this. But I noticed it very early on.

Wanted to play GCN games on the Wii so I could put the Gamecube away, but the games didn't look as clean on the Wii as they did on the Gamecube. So I always left both hooked up

Anyway, plan to disconnect the Wii once I get the WiiU. Don't know about the GC yet. Don't use it very much but do play a couple games every now and then (usually PN03 and Viewtiful Joe)

I have 2 wii's hooked up to my main tv, so I will be putting one away. I will still have the following all hooked up:

PS3
Wii
Dreamcast
Blu Ray player
Laptop

I was one of the first to pre-order my Deluxe at GS on 13th I believe. How likely will it be that I will get it on launch day? Just don't want to get screwed over.

[quote name='gamerguy73']I was one of the first to pre-order my Deluxe at GS on 13th I believe. How likely will it be that I will get it on launch day? Just don't want to get screwed over.[/QUOTE]

When I pre-ordered one, I asked the GS employee the same question, to which he earnestly responded, "If you pre-ordered one, you WILL get one on launch day." He also said that they will hold it for 48 hours as is policy. He sounded pretty convincing so I didn't ask him any more than that, but we all know that in reality there's no way to actually know until the system launches.

The only thing you can do (or rather could have done) is pre-order it at more than one different store, just in case.

This is the first time I pre-order a game console, so I don't know how reliable they are from any past experience, though, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like they are the most trustworthy of all the B&M stores in terms of pre-order policies.

If they do the Wii U launch like they do with their games, it might be kinda hard to know what will happen. When you pre order a game, it is most likely that Gamestop will have a copy just for you, but we are talking about a console, which it is not the same thing. The launches of games is first come, first serve, and it doesn't go by who pre ordered first. It goes to who ever is in line outside Gamestop first. If they go this route for the Wii U, I'm sure it will cause problems. I wouldn't bet on Gamestop having a console just for you because of the pre order. I'm sure Gamestops will receive less consoles then expected and many customers will be left dissapointed/angered.

[quote name='Thrinn']According to some interviews Nintendo has done you'll need to have both the Wii & the Wii U connected to the net at the same time in order to transfer the games between the two systems. You should be able to use an SD card to transfer the saves. The Wii component cable should also do the job to get 720p with the Wii U, the limiting factor with the Wii was the system and not the cable itself. IIRC the Wii also can output a native 1080p signal on specific games that support that resolution.[/QUOTE]

Hello Matt,

Thank you for contacting us. I can certainly appreciate your interest in finding out more about Wii U so you can be prepared when it is launched! I can tell you Wii U will be compatible with the component cables you have for your Wii console, which should work to output 720p on your TV. In case you were not already aware, the system also comes with a high-speed HDMI cable which is capable of going up to 1080p.

Regarding your question about transferring Wii games and save data, I can tell you that we are planning to make it possible to perform a system transfer from a Wii console to a Wii U console. This process will transfer any Wii Shop Channel purchases over to the new system; however, at this time we do not have more details to know if this will also include any save data on your Wii console. I know you were hoping for a confirmation about this, and I can only recommend that you continue checking our website as more information is released.

It is worth noting that to perform a system transfer from a Wii console to a Wii U will require an Internet connection, an SD card for the Wii U console, and you must have both systems in your possession.

We also do not have any information to suggest if Wii U might have a way to view your play history for games like the Wii console has. Again, I know you were hoping for more information, and I appreciate your understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns you are welcome to contact us again. In the meantime, everything we have available to share regarding Wii U has been added to our website. On our website you can find additional details, such as the price, many of this system's innovating features, and a lineup of the games that will be released for this magnificent new home console. Here's a direct link:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu

Sincerely,

Crystal L. Odam
Nintendo of America Inc.

[quote name='ral1121']If they do the Wii U launch like they do with their games, it might be kinda hard to know what will happen. When you pre order a game, it is most likely that Gamestop will have a copy just for you, but we are talking about a console, which it is not the same thing. The launches of games is first come, first serve, and it doesn't go by who pre ordered first. It goes to who ever is in line outside Gamestop first. If they go this route for the Wii U, I'm sure it will cause problems. I wouldn't bet on Gamestop having a console just for you because of the pre order. I'm sure Gamestops will receive less consoles then expected and many customers will be left dissapointed/angered.[/QUOTE]

If you preorder something and you pay it off fully and they don't have it for you on day of release, they sold your property. You can't be given a raincheck on something you've fully paid for. At that point you could sue them, among other things. It's a very big problem if it happens and I don't know about you, but I would make sure that whoever did it got fired.

[quote name='mr.ratburn']When I pre-ordered one, I asked the GS employee the same question, to which he earnestly responded, "If you pre-ordered one, you WILL get one on launch day." He also said that they will hold it for 48 hours as is policy. He sounded pretty convincing so I didn't ask him any more than that, but we all know that in reality there's no way to actually know until the system launches.

The only thing you can do (or rather could have done) is pre-order it at more than one different store, just in case.

This is the first time I pre-order a game console, so I don't know how reliable they are from any past experience, though, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like they are the most trustworthy of all the B&M stores in terms of pre-order policies.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. It was good.

I pre-ordered my Wii U deluxe from Best Buy with in-store pickup shortly after pre-orders started on day 1. It's been paid in full. They better have one for me when I get there as soon as they open their doors on November 18. I would hope that if anyone that pre-ordered is going to miss out it wouldn't be the ones that ordered as soon as pre-orders started.

[quote name='rockstarnati']I pre-ordered my Wii U deluxe from Best Buy with in-store pickup shortly after pre-orders started on day 1. It's been paid in full. They better have one for me when I get there as soon as they open their doors on November 18. I would hope that if anyone that pre-ordered is going to miss out it wouldn't be the ones that ordered as soon as pre-orders started.[/QUOTE]

I got the first PO at my BB in-store and I'm even still kind of worried about getting it. I'm going there first, because it's the one I'd rather have, but I have a GS in-store PO and a GS.com PO that will definitely work as backups if I get fucked. I'll have $150 in RZ Certs that I would just LOVE to use on the Wii U.

[quote name='Drclaw411']my mobile version of this thread looks like this
{snip}[/QUOTE]

You can change it back to full-site view. IIRC, the option is at the bottom of the home page for the "mobile site" view

Honestly, if I had the spare time I'd do it because I'm curios about it myself now. I'd have to find a pair of official Nintendo Wii Component cables to make it a fair comparison, though. All I know is that GC games just stuck be as not being nearly as sharp when I first got my Wii component cables. Basically, like GC games on a GC w/o component cables.

For all I know, the Wii firmware may not have supported progressive scan for GC games over the component cables around launch and things may have been improved since with a firmware update.

[quote name='ProppaT']Honestly, if I had the spare time I'd do it because I'm curios about it myself now. I'd have to find a pair of official Nintendo Wii Component cables to make it a fair comparison, though. All I know is that GC games just stuck be as not being nearly as sharp when I first got my Wii component cables. Basically, like GC games on a GC w/o component cables.

For all I know, the Wii firmware may not have supported progressive scan for GC games over the component cables around launch and things may have been improved since with a firmware update.[/QUOTE]

Not to step on your toes but that's all pretty bullshit. Wii component and Gamecube component look the same. There is a full Gamecube inside the Wii, hell all the games now prompt you for progressive scan automatically if it's on Wii.

[quote name='KanYozakura']God dammit I had better be able to transfer my 4.5 year Brawl file.[/QUOTE]

This is my biggest concern about the whole thing. I'd part with any/all of my other game saves and be only slightly annoyed with it. But, if my Brawl save doesn't transfer...I'm gonna be ultra pissed off.

[quote name='croqoa']You do realize the difference between an actual charge on your credit card and a simple pre-authorization hold to verify you have credit right? Assuming you are like 93% of people on this thread and don't know the difference, what happened is that you were never charged anything. And you weren't refunded anything because you were never charged in the first place. You simply had a pending charge which is basically their way of making sure you actually have money available.[/QUOTE]

This is why I do ZERO business with Best Buy. They are absolutely ridiculous. Look at Amazon. Do they ever put an authorization check on anything you preorder? NO. They are one of the largest retailers in the world, and they don't do this. Amazon gets 95% of my business. It is pretty crappy for them to hold up your money, especially in your checking account. Not all of us are millionaire's. Sometimes we would like to actually pay for the item, when the item actually gets ready to be released for sale, not have it hanging on your account every six days.

This will cause other transaction's to bounce, and then have huge fee's to pay. I don't know anyone who preorder's anything at BB anymore. :booty:

[quote name='armandxp']This is why I do ZERO business with Best Buy. They are absolutely ridiculous. Look at Amazon. Do they ever put an authorization check on anything you preorder? NO. They are one of the largest retailers in the world, and they don't do this. Amazon gets 95% of my business. It is pretty crappy for them to hold up your money, especially in your checking account. Not all of us are millionaire's. Sometimes we would like to actually pay for the item, when the item actually gets ready to be released for sale, not have it hanging on your account every six days.

This will cause other transaction's to bounce, and then have huge fee's to pay. I don't know anyone who preorder's anything at BB anymore. :booty:[/QUOTE]

Exactly! BB is horrible. I pre-ordered mine from Gamestop online and they didn't put a hold on the funds.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Exactly! BB is horrible. I pre-ordered mine from Gamestop online and they didn't put a hold on the funds.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I didn't want to take a $400 hit out of my account, hold it for 2 months, then fuck me over. That's why I preordered from GS.

Gamestop can be pretty bad too though. I've had a cousin who preordered diablo III limited edition and they didn't hold a copy for him. I'd rather give my business to Amazon myself, but in this case..Amazon didn't even do preorders for the Wii U Deluxe. I got three deluxe preordered on bestbuy.com and my credit card have authorization charges pending(or held like you guys say) too. I should have made some preorders at gamestop just in case bestbuy screws me over. I got a friend relying on me to help him get one.

[quote name='armandxp']This is why I do ZERO business with Best Buy. They are absolutely ridiculous. Look at Amazon. Do they ever put an authorization check on anything you preorder? NO. They are one of the largest retailers in the world, and they don't do this. Amazon gets 95% of my business. It is pretty crappy for them to hold up your money, especially in your checking account. Not all of us are millionaire's. Sometimes we would like to actually pay for the item, when the item actually gets ready to be released for sale, not have it hanging on your account every six days.

This will cause other transaction's to bounce, and then have huge fee's to pay. I don't know anyone who preorder's anything at BB anymore. :booty:[/QUOTE]

I preorder from Best Buy. It's just something you have to deal with. I have enough available credit to cover it, but I can see the problem if you're using a debit card or a credit card with a low limit.

If you're using a debit card linked to your primary checking account or source of funds to preorder a wii-u and you're actively worried about bouncing checks or bills, maybe you should re-evaluate your financial position when making a large purchase. I'm not saying you're poor or being condescending, but maybe you should use a credit card or pre order with cash and save up to pay in cash when you pick it up.

[quote name='mgford11']If you're using a debit card linked to your primary checking account or source of funds to preorder a wii-u and you're actively worried about bouncing checks or bills, maybe you should re-evaluate your financial position when making a large purchase. I'm not saying you're poor or being condescending, but maybe you should use a credit card or pre order with cash and save up to pay in cash when you pick it up.[/QUOTE]
do you really think it's appropriate to comment on someone's financial situation like that, even with good intentions? the myriad of reasons people are uncomfortable with authorization charges has already been discussed thoroughly.

[quote name='mgford11']If you're using a debit card linked to your primary checking account or source of funds to preorder a wii-u and you're actively worried about bouncing checks or bills, maybe you should re-evaluate your financial position when making a large purchase. I'm not saying you're poor or being condescending, but maybe you should use a credit card or pre order with cash and save up to pay in cash when you pick it up.[/QUOTE]

I said this a few weeks ago.

It's not Best Buy's fault people don't have money to cover a non-essential purchase. Shit, if I thought pre-ordering a wiiU was gonna cause my bank account to get into overdraft mode, I'd.... not buy the wiiU.

[quote name='therealdanhill']do you really think it's appropriate to comment on someone's financial situation like that, even with good intentions? the myriad of reasons people are uncomfortable with authorization charges has already been discussed thoroughly.[/QUOTE]

I'd be uncomfortable with a CHARGE on my credit/debit card for an extended period of time (because the clock starts ticking on extended warranties, buyer protection, etc) but an AUTHORIZATION is just an authorization. It's not a charge.

[quote name='Alucard400']Gamestop can be pretty bad too though. I've had a cousin who preordered diablo III limited edition and they didn't hold a copy for him. .[/QUOTE]

Probably because he did not pick it up within 48 hours. Clearly states they can sell your copy to someone else if you don't pick it up within 48 hours. Don't blame them, how do they know you'll ever show up to pick it up and pay for it? Sometimes game prices drop a week later. GS is a very efficient business. They don't want to hold on to new inventory that they don't know if they'll be able to sell at full price. This is great for Gamestop investors like me, and one of the reasons this company has no debt on its balance sheet.

I've had a lot more trouble with pre-orders from BestBuy and NewEgg, obviously. Never had trouble with GS and Amazon pre-orders. Of course, you can't even by a Wii U on Amazon.

[quote name='confoosious']I'd be uncomfortable with a CHARGE on my credit/debit card for an extended period of time (because the clock starts ticking on extended warranties, buyer protection, etc) but an AUTHORIZATION is just an authorization. It's not a charge.[/QUOTE]
I was under the impression the authorization held up your funds the same as a charge.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Exactly! BB is horrible. I pre-ordered mine from Gamestop online and they didn't put a hold on the funds.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah I didn't want to take a $400 hit out of my account, hold it for 2 months, then fuck me over. That's why I preordered from GS.[/QUOTE]

If I was just using my debit/credit card to pre-order the Wii U, I wouldn't want my funds held up for 2 months either. But I saved up the full amount in my PayPal and paid with that. PayPal charges you right away for a pre-order regardless. So I'm okay with it. That's what the money was there for to begin with. Only the tax was charged on my card. $20 being charged now for a November purchase I can deal with. The full $370 being held up until November is a different story.

[quote name='therealdanhill']I was under the impression the authorization held up your funds the same as a charge.[/QUOTE]

It only holds funds if you used a debit card. On a credit card it only lowers the available credit limit on the card. If you have a high credit limit on the card it makes little difference but can cause lots of problems if your card is close to being maxed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not exclusive to Best Buy. Calling your credit card companies and complaining of fraud is hilarious. The first time I preordered with Best Buy they did this for like two weeks. But on subsequent preorders since then, like with my Wii U preorder, they authorize one time and laid off.

[quote name='therealdanhill']I was under the impression the authorization held up your funds the same as a charge.[/QUOTE]

It certainly does. But it's not the same thing. One is taking money out of your account. The other is your credit card company/bank putting a hold on your funds so they know you're good for it when the eventual order goes through. It usually drops off after a certain time frame unless it is renewed.

Now, I understand that putting a hold on your funds is inconvenient if you're living paycheck to paycheck. But (and I'm trying hard not to judge), if you're living that close to the edge, perhaps you need to reconsider your spending.

(not YOU in particular.)

[quote name='confoosious']It certainly does. But it's not the same thing. One is taking money out of your account. The other is your credit card company/bank putting a hold on your funds so they know you're good for it when the eventual order goes through. It usually drops off after a certain time frame unless it is renewed.

Now, I understand that putting a hold on your funds is inconvenient if you're living paycheck to paycheck. But (and I'm trying hard not to judge), if you're living that close to the edge, perhaps you need to reconsider your spending.

(not YOU in particular.)[/QUOTE]
I know you don't mean me in particular, I just mean while it is different, in practice it is kind of similar. For the people who are concerned financially anyways (for whatever reason), it basically is the same thing to them, probably why there's all the anger.

People get real up-in-arms about talking about their personal finances, I don't think it's really appropriate to give people advice like that unless they ask for it, but to each their own. With some people it may be a financial reason, others may just not feel comfortable with the authorization practice. Others may find them getting their account pinged inconvienient. Does it really matter why people don't like it though? I don't think so.

If you take away the REASON why people don't like it, it's rather silly all around. Because let's say you have $500 in your debit account. If BB takes out $350 or puts a hold on $350 until launch, what's the difference? You still have $150 in your account.

If you don't have the self control not to spend more than $150, that's on you.

If you need the $350 now to pay for diapers and food and you can't afford to pay for both the wiiU now AND the food... then don't buy the wiiU.

But I guess that's getting into impolite territory.

Anyway, it's not like I'm changing people's spending habits or fiscal responsibility. I'm just tired of hearing the bitching about authorization holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back