The Wombat Journal

[quote name='Wombat']for the record, the realm is Uldaman, come join us there I'm only level 10[/quote]

Damn, now everyone's going to see my pink cape.

Digital life was packed on saturday but still as boring.

the only thing the piqued my interest was some device that converts IPODs to video players via the ipod's portable hd ability

the isee

[quote name='youruglyclone']also inquiring minds want to know(CAGBag Follow up)...where is your local comic shop? midtown comics or something more intimate and hidden.[/QUOTE]

I prefer Midtown but I work downtown now, so I am actually looking for closer place, without much luck I might add.

Wombat, have you been by the Nintendo World Store recently? Last Thursday they were setting up the demo Wiis but I haven't been back to see if they are running... I leave NYC on Friday for good and I was hoping to test it out before then.

[quote name='javeryh']Wombat, have you been by the Nintendo World Store recently? Last Thursday they were setting up the demo Wiis but I haven't been back to see if they are running... I leave NYC on Friday for good and I was hoping to test it out before then.[/quote]I hope they have a Wii Kiosk when I go next week. I want try it already so bad.

Here my conspiracy thought of the day: Nintendo decided on the name Wii solely because it rhymes with Three. Fully expecting and hoping for the "PSWii" and "Wii60" wordplays to be used and help market the system.

[quote name='Wombat']Here my conspiracy thought of the day: Nintendo decided on the name Wii solely because it rhymes with Three. Fully expecting and hoping for the "PSWii" and "Wii60" wordplays to be used and help market the system.[/QUOTE]

I've been seeing this thrown around lately. Still, I doubt 'mainstream America' will be using these cute little phrases.

[quote name='Brak']It's more than you:
http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111840[/QUOTE]

funny, maybe I'll do a search next time, ahh who are we kidding, and for the record I do not think that Nintendo sees this a second choice, and they think the strongly believe that it will be the first choice for many people. I do think they are smart enough to know that its not everyones first choice, no system is but if the last gen taught us aything its that there is room for more than one console in people lives, so why not be the second choice for those gamers.

I can see that Wombat, but the main difference this next gen is the pricing of the consoles. I'm sure that many people, especially those that don't consider themselves true gamers will take more consideration when buying their system, because they might be strapped for cash and could only afford maybe only one console. I'm sure anyone would be more careful when making $400-$600 investments, but then again, I'm not sure on how much money people make these days. I just don't know anymore about this "next-gen" gaming anymore. For me it doesn't really feel like a real "next-generation" of video games. The last time I felt a true dawning of next-gen gaming was probably back when n64 and playstation were out [though this could be because I was a wee lad]. It's just I have a feeling that these systems are just simple iterations in the line of consoles. But I guess we'll see how it turns out later this year.

Well, I say get ready to pick your favorite child.

Wombat your falling a littel behind on your promise to deliver a "blog".
Im sure many cheapassgamers are intersted in your general thoughts...
At this rate I don't think Cheapy is going to give it a seperate area in the forums.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Wombat your falling a littel behind on your promise to deliver a "blog".
Im sure many cheapassgamers are intersted in your general thoughts...
At this rate I don't think Cheapy is going to give it a seperate area in the forums.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, I have been busier than expected lately, I discuss it on the lastest CAGcast, which is in the can and will be up in a few hours

[quote name='Wombat']I agree 100%, I have been busier than expected lately, I discuss it on the lastest CAGcast, which is in the can and will be up in a few hours[/QUOTE]

This makes me sad...I hope this doesn't mean you're giving up? :whistle2:(

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']This makes me sad...I hope this doesn't mean you're giving up? :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I am not giving up, just busy and last night I cought three Mice in my apt, I hate mice

[quote name='Wombat']I am not giving up, just busy and last night I cought three Mice in my apt, I hate mice[/QUOTE]

Whats worse mice or milk sniffing?

[quote name='TC']Whats worse mice or milk sniffing?[/QUOTE]

probably mice, but only because they eat my food.

also check out the Gears of War event on gamerscoreblog.com, I hate those kind of events. In fact I posted why I don't like them on their blog go read it and tell them why you either agree or disagree with me. Who knows maybe we can collectivley guilt them into making a donation somewhere.

Dang, Wombat! Doesn't Zelda help with the mice? Haven't ever had a mouse down here, but I do get palmetto bugs, which fuggin' piss me off because they don't help with the rent!

Last time I was up in NYC I couldn't help but notice the roaches... do you get those, too?

From what I've heard on the podcast, you seem interesting in Viva Pinata. If you make a japanese silver account I saw a Viva Pinata demo for download.

hey Wombat look @ the bright side at least they are not RATS. That would be bad.

They are probably coming through some hole somewhere. Mice really do suck.

Well, it's been along time since my last real post here and I’d like to say I have a good reason, but I don’t. Hopefully you will forgive me and we can move on.

We cool?
Good.

As many of you know, last night I was at a 360 event in downtown NYC and it was good time. Most of the gaming specifics I will discuss on tonight’s CAGcast , but I thought I would use this space to discuss my feelings on the whole thing. There is no doubt this event was held to curry favor with the press and that’s cool; every company does it and needs to do it. What did surprise me was how nonchalant the media can be. I know there are some very nice people who work in video game media and this isn’t a dig (especially to those that have nice things to say about Cheapy - we love you), but there were a lot of other press outlets there who spent 90% of their time at the bar drinking free beer, hitting play on their recorders when someone said something interesting (ala Peter Moore’s Big News), and then going back to drinking until they were kicked out or asked to pay.

Now I’ll admit, I am a novice and walk around an event like this in wide-eyed wonder of 15 huge plasma TV’s and thumping techno and fried chicken on a stick, but I was also excited to be there for what it is: a chance to see and play games, so that other people who share my interest can learn more about it. This may shock you, but I prefer having the ability to do that more than getting free stuff. It's part altruistic, part selfish too; I like being the guy in-the-know, and that doesn’t make me a bad person - not if everyone wins and If have a genuine interest.

Specifically, I was sitting at a table with two journalists. I won’t name them or say what they write for, but I will say they were not gaming publications and I asked them what they thought of the event and the 360. I was there alone and trying to make friends, to which I got nothing but cold indifference about the system mostly. “Yeah, its alright, I don’t really know too much about this stuff.” I don’t know, it just kind of made me mad. I know at least a few hundred registered CAG’s who would have traded places with that journalist in a second and probably write a better article. Maybe this will be the kick in the butt I need to make this a reality, if not for me (although me is good), but for you too, because for future events, maybe they won't invite a guy like that over a guy like me.

End Rant

Sounds kind of a event that went in the wrong direction. They should have had a better invite list. Did you happen to get any pictures from the event?

Pictures would have been smart, and thats why I left my camera at home like an ass. Live and learn I guess, although there wasn't too much eye candy other than, lots of big TV all over the place and not enough places to sit. Don't get me wrong they did a great job, kudos to the PR team that set it up, it could not have been easy.

[quote name='Wombat']Pictures would have been smart, and thats why I left my camera at home like an ass.[/quote]#-o

who needs a camera when Xbox takes their own candid shots, like these two of me and Peter Moore!!!

http://flickr.com/photos/gamerscore/291307665/in/set-72157594364771509/

http://flickr.com/photos/gamerscore/291308580/in/set-72157594364771509/

291307665_e283246f34.jpg

291308580_20d4b93dd4.jpg

[quote name='Ma12kez']Oh man Wombat, either you've got a stunt double or this dude (on the left) is your biggest fan:

"Annie whatever your thinking of doing, please don't"

I had just noticed those pictures and was going to post to see if that was you. Good work wombat, did you give peter moore a wombat rant about microtransactions or the lack of original games on xbla? It clearly looks like you are puffing your chest in the 2nd picture ready to smack the shit out of him

I am sick and tired of seeing sites like Joystiq and QJ.net consistently encroach upon our territory. This is worse than other deal sites stealing our content since this sites are pretending to be "journalism" blogs. I have complained time and again to no avail, so I am asking for your help. It is time the WLA step out of the shadows.

Stop this madness before it gets out of hand.

Cheapy asked me write a Bio the other day, I felt like sharing, enjoy and feel free to comment:

Born and Raised in New York, "Wombat" has eight years experience working behind the scenes in the world of entertainment and advertising. An avid gamer since the age of 10, he has owned at least fifteen video-game consoles since 1987. He considers the CAGcast the cumulative achievement of this experience and the closest thing he has done to actually making use of his BA in Film Studies from University of Pittsburgh. He takes great pride in having successfully completed every Legend of Zelda game for every major console and his secret shame is that he has never finished a Final Fantasy game.

Nice.

What's sad is that I think I post more frequently on this board than you do, Wombat.

Oh well, quality over quantity right?

Er, maybe?

Meh.

[quote name='gunm']Nice.

What's sad is that I think I post more frequently on this board than you do, Wombat.

Oh well, quality over quantity right?

Er, maybe?

Meh.[/QUOTE]
Yet, just about everyone knows who Wombat is, and nobody knows who you are.

Amazing!

;)

A few things for today:

Some Gears of War thoughts:

Please check with people before you just invite them to play co-op, If you are further along then I am in the game please send a message, I do not want to see spoilers,

“I am on chapter 4, wanna play?”

I will be sure to do the same.

What this really leads up to is the fact that we need to have written rules of Xbox Live and maybe soon enough all online console gaming etiquette.

1. With rule number one being it is always ok to decline an invitation without feeling the need to give reason, it doesn’t mean you don’t like the person inviting you, it just means you are happy playing alone.

2. If you see that someone is playing co-op with someone else, don’t invite them to play co-op with you, that’s like going in to restaurant seeing someone on a date and then asking them to go to dinner.

3. And the last one for now if you are invited to a game, don’t start inviting all your friends to that game without asking the host first, he/she may have some invites out and its just polite.

With that being said let me say that I really like the GOW online multiplayer, the maps are small and with teams of no more than 4 it really does heighten the tension. It also keeps the games surprisingly unpredictable until the match is over; the idea of one player taking out four others isn’t shocking or uncommon, so in GOW multiplayer, rounds really aren’t over until they are over. Just watching your last surviving teammate on the spectator cam hiding like Rambo in First Blood can be thrill to watch.

Ok now the CAGcast promised Wombat’s Burrow segment.

Why are achievement badges so much nicer than gamer pics? And why I can’t they be used as gamer pics. Now I am not saying that all badges should be usable as free gamer pics, but how about some of the more ridiculous ones for the real crazy achievements that are out there like:

Survived 1,000,000
Earn 1,000,000 points without dying from Geometry Wars.

Let us show them off to everyone. Is it so much to ask that every game have at least one free gamer pic included, complete the game get to use that achievement badge as a pic. Personally I think it would sell more games and last time I looked 60 bucks was more than 80 gamer points.

60 bucks is still more than 80 gamer points…right?

(please forgive any bad grammar ;) )

Yah that would be cool if you could use the acheivement pic as a gamer pic because that would show how good you are.

[quote name='cyrix`']Yah that would be cool if you could use the acheivement pic as a gamer pic because that would show how good you are.[/QUOTE]

no sooner do I post my qualms, then POW! it becomes a reality, it seems that finishing Gears of Wars on the Hardest difficulty, will score you one free exclusive gamer pic. Its not great but hey, its a start.

What I hate is that the minute I pop Gears of War into my 360 with the sole purpose of doing single player I get bombarded with 20 friend invites wanting me to do multiplayer.

[quote name='Roufuss']What I hate is that the minute I pop Gears of War into my 360 with the sole purpose of doing single player I get bombarded with 20 friend invites wanting me to do multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I made "Rule Number One"

[quote name='Roufuss']What I hate is that the minute I pop Gears of War into my 360 with the sole purpose of doing single player I get bombarded with 20 friend invites wanting me to do multiplayer.[/quote]Haha that happens to me. I don't know why it doesn't say playing single player game. I beat it today anyways so I don't think I'll be worrying about that to much anymore though.

[quote name='Wombat']Thats why I made "Rule Number One"[/QUOTE]

Ohhh... I see it now, it was kind of hidden in the post there ;) Rule Number One was like three rules combined into a giant super rule.

What I really wish they would do would be to send a reason why you're declining the invite... just a list of pre-packaged responses:

- Sorry, I can't play, I'm doing single player
- Sorry, I don't have the time to play right now
- Sorry, I'm currently involved in another game at the moment

Things like that. I feel so bad declining an invite because it makes me feel like an asshole because it dosen't give a reason.

[quote name='AshesofWake']it does say you are playing single player, but it doesn't say if you're playing COOP or not which i think they should have put in.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, maybe they'll update that.

I always thought that Achievement badges were the modern-day equivalent of those Activision patches from the Atari 2600 era, so making (at least some of) them 'wearable' in the form of gamerpics would be a perfect application.

Things like that. I feel so bad declining an invite because it makes me feel like an asshole because it dosen't give a reason.

But that's not on you, the invitee. That's on the inviter to gracefully accept your declining their request, without getting caught up in the possible reason(s) and taking it personally. I ask the impossible, I know.

Hey, it's not like you're telling them "I've got to dry my hair tonight...again"!

[quote name='jollydwarf']

But that's not on you, the invitee. That's on the inviter to gracefully accept your declining their request, without getting caught up in the possible reason(s) and taking it personally. I ask the impossible, I know.

Hey, it's not like you're telling them "I've got to dry my hair tonight...again"![/QUOTE]

Exactly, you should not have to feel guilty, it is just understood that its just a "not right now" kind of thing.

Also I updated the earlier post with numbered rules.

[quote name='Wombat']He takes great pride in having successfully completed every Legend of Zelda game for every major console and his secret shame is that he has never finished a Final Fantasy game.[/QUOTE]
What is your standing on the handheld Zeldas (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Minnish Cap)?

And I've never finished a FF game either. There's no shame there.

bread's done
Back