The Wombat Journal

[quote name='cyrix`']theres like 12 ff games as oppose to like the 5-6 zelda games.[/QUOTE]

yes but FF games put me to sleep, ;).

Dear Wombat,

I happened across a Wii, an extra remote, an extra nunchuk, and Trauma Center today during lunch. What should I do now that I've bought it?

A). Sell it to my friend who is looking for one for the price I paid
B). Keep it for myself
C). Give it to mrs. shipwreck for Christmas after I get my name engraved in it
D). Other

Sincerely,
Wii've Got A Dilemma

If you think you're going to get alot of playtime out of it, keep it and play it.

If you think you're friend is going to enjoy it alot more than you, sell it to him. Didn't you pay with Gamerush credit? It'll be like turning that credit into straight up cash. You'd probably be making his day, as well.

[quote name='shipwreck']Dear Wombat,

I happened across a Wii, an extra remote, an extra nunchuk, and Trauma Center today during lunch. What should I do now that I've bought it?

A). Sell it to my friend who is looking for one for the price I paid
B). Keep it for myself
C). Give it to mrs. shipwreck for Christmas after I get my name engraved in it
D). Other

Sincerely,
Wii've Got A Dilemma[/QUOTE]

Dear Wii've,

Selling it to friend without making a profit is very nice thing to do, if you won't regret it after he tells you how much fun he is having and you still do not have one. Keeping for yourself may be the selfish approach if you think Mrs. Dilemma wants one, you also run into the problem of "what if she bought one for you", then you may the makings of an O.Henry story on your hands. I say be honest with your wife, if she wants it give it to her as an early gift and then it can be Christmas full of Wii stuff for both of you.

Superman's Pal,

Wombat

Since there is no show this week, I think I will make a real effort to add to this thread throughout the week, the fact that I'm just not ready to go back to work after the long weekend would be another reason.

Some updated impressions on the Wii:

Now that I have had a chance to really play it, I will say that it is a great machine. Mii's and the Mii trading system are a hoot, harmless fun that if anyone tells you they don't like is a mean spirited bastard.

LOZ:TP great game. love the game. may still be to early to say but part of me likes Wind Waker better, may be more of personal preference thing. I just feel like there is too much time spent in-between dungeons and alot of the time spent is a chore, collecting tears is a snooze-fest, the wolf is too. On the flip side the dungeons in the game are the best of series and make the trip worth it. Also the controls do grow on you and feel natural after awhile, but it took me sometime. I wish I had component cables, I feel like I am missing out by not having them.

I popped MUA for the 360 back in over the weekend as well, having not played it for about a month. I really like that game, it holds up well on a second playing with new characters. That game is far from perfect, but it really is everything I expected it to be, so I can't say I am disappointed with it, in fact it may be one of my fav games of the year, but we will probably get to that list next week.

[quote name='Wombat']Since there is no show this week, I think I will make a real effort to add to this thread throughout the week, the fact that I'm just not ready to go back to work after the long weekend would be another reason.

Some updated impressions on the Wii:

Now that I have had a chance to really play it, I will say that it is a great machine. Mii's and the Mii trading system are a hoot, harmless fun that if anyone tells you they don't like is a mean spirited bastard.

LOZ:TP great game. love the game. may still be to early to say but part of me likes Wind Waker better, may be more of personal preference thing. I just feel like there is too much time spent in-between dungeons and alot of the time spent is a chore, collecting tears is a snooze-fest, the wolf is too. On the flip side the dungeons in the game are the best of series and make the trip worth it. Also the controls do grow on you and feel natural after awhile, but it took me sometime. I wish I had component cables, I feel like I am missing out by not having them.
[/quote]

This Zelda is way better then the windwaker. You'll see tons of going around collecting stuff and doing side quest later on in the game. It really just takes a while untill all that stuff comes together. I do have to say the Component cables really does a world of wonders for the Tv and I really hope you get them soon so you can see the difference.

I kinda agree with Wombat. I love the graphics (ya it's no 360/PS3... whatever) but more so the artistic style of the game much more than WW. The Wolf part of the game is good in theory... awful in practice. I despise going places when I know I'll have to transform again.

[quote name='Wombat']Also the controls do grow on you and feel natural after awhile, but it took me sometime.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so a few days ago you said that the GameCube controller would be better for Zelda. Do you still feel that to be true or do you think the Wii control scheme offers a better pre-pubescent elf-boy saving the world experience? Inquiring sailors want to know.

[quote name='shipwreck']Okay, so a few days ago you said that the GameCube controller would be better for Zelda. Do you still feel that to be true or do you think the Wii control scheme offers a better pre-pubescent elf-boy saving the world experience? Inquiring sailors want to know.[/QUOTE]

Now I am at the "it probably wouldnt make a difference either way" stage of using the Wiimote. Hows that for an answer.

I found myself, especially early on desperately trying to figure out which button to press to swing my sword when I got jumped by an enemy.

Probably my biggest problem right now is not being used to the 2 triggers (Z and B) and I am always pushing the wrong one.

OK so here is the plan I will stick to my daily updates until the next show, and I will continue my now internal struggle with LOZ:TP. Why the struggle, I love the game its a great game, yet it doesn't feel as epic as I would have liked it to be. It feels very much like Ocarina, maybe alittle too much, would new characters have been a bad idea? I love main theme of Zelda, but do all the other themes need to be same songs from 10 years ago? And hairy nippled Gorons are just gross and unnecessary.

And now some good; the puzzles are really amazing, they put alot of thought into the level design of the dungeons and I cannot praise them enough.

Hopefully I will get a chance to play more tonight, my goal is to have a running Zelda diary that when complete may serve as first ever real-time review of a videogame

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Any very frustrating dungeons like the Water Temple yet?[/QUOTE]

I am in the Water dungeon currently, went to sleep just after finding the big key, this one isnt as frustrating as the prevoius, cant vouch for the boss battle yet though

Well we are taking to a short break in Zelda running diary, (finished the water dungeon, woot) to congratulate Mrs. Wombat's promotion at work.

Hooray for my wife, she's the best at what she does!

Although I am not even as far along as you, Wombat, I am also pretty split on the controller's use in this game as well. At least I was until I reached a slothful nirvana. I realized as I was laying flat on my back on my couch, cord draped across my body and each half of the controller at each side that I had never been so comfortable while playing a video game in my life. What is often touted as an active control scheme for games such as Wii Sports has become the ultimate lazy-man's dream controller for myself. Now, to just find a way to minimize all of that twitching to swing Link's sword...

I just heard something really funy in one of the previous podcasts...

Podcast 34 about 34 min in you guys are poking fun of Viva Pinata :)

I feel this needs addressed in the next podcast. Its quite funny actaually, you poke fun at it back at E3, and now you broadcast live from you're pinata garden.

Btw, I am typing this from my pinata garden. heh

Quick post, been having an "interesting" week so I needed to take a break from Zelda TP for a few days, maybe I'll get a chance to play tonight.

But anyway, I walking along Houston St in NYC when I see someone that looks familiar, but not someone I know. I get closer and it's Shoe from EGM. So of course I introduce myself and of course he has no idea who I am, but he did say "cheapassgamer yeah i know them" I did give him an official Wombat Business card which he put in his leather Nintendo wallet.

So thats my story for today

Greetings from sunny South Afrrica Wombat and all the CAG Members :)

Have only recently started listening to you guys CAGcast(Episode 50-present) I must say, it is an amazing show and you and CheapyD provide an awesome show time and time again. All the best for your endeavours into becoming a professional Videogame journalist, am sure you will make it happen. Am now a loyal fan of the CAGcast, and cannot wait for the next episode.

Cheers mate :)

I guess the daily update plan didn't pan out? Oh well, maybe we'll hear more about the "interesting" thing(s) that resulted in this minor derailment on this week's CAGcast.

And before I forget--add Mii add Mii!

I read that comment from "Shoe" like he said it somewhat disinterestedly, if not a little dismissively. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1up gang by and large have 'rock star' complexes by now.

But hey, it's pretty clear that no one at that site has ever heard of this one, right? Good grief!

[quote name='gunm']I guess the daily update plan didn't pan out? Oh well, maybe we'll hear more about the "interesting" thing(s) that resulted in this minor derailment on this week's CAGcast.

And before I forget--add Mii add Mii![/QUOTE]

I am currently being downsized at my place of employment, its made for a difficult week to say the least. So yeah I really wanted to update more but real life sometimes monkey wrenches everything, but we still plan on doing a show tonight, so stay tuned.

[quote name='Wombat']I am currently being downsized at my place of employment, its made for a difficult week to say the least. So yeah I really wanted to update more but real life sometimes monkey wrenches everything, but we still plan on doing a show tonight, so stay tuned.[/quote]

sorry to hear about the downsizing but you spin it as your motivation to get that gaming journo thing going full tilt.

I'm sure things will work out.

[quote name='Wombat']I am currently being downsized at my place of employment, its made for a difficult week to say the least. So yeah I really wanted to update more but real life sometimes monkey wrenches everything, but we still plan on doing a show tonight, so stay tuned.[/QUOTE]

Dude, downsized? Didn't you just get that job like two months ago? Why'd they even bother wasting your time on a position that was slated to be axed? Or (much less likely) did it come as some cloud-parting revelation to them that they didn't want/need the position any more? Corporate America is bullshit.

Wow...Sorry to hear that Wombat. I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

Here at my job, the editor above me, who I count as a friend, quit because her husband took a promotion on the left coast. So now I'm in the position of having to promote myself to take her place when I'm really actually quite okay with where I am right now. But everyone here expects me to gun for the promotion and my wife is right there with them, so I feel like I have to, even though I don't necessarily feel qualified for that higher level of responsibility.

Being a grown up sucks sometimes.

[quote name='Tybee']Wow...Sorry to hear that Wombat. I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

Here at my job, the editor above me, who I count as a friend, quit because her husband took a promotion on the left coast. So now I'm in the position of having to promote myself to take her place when I'm really actually quite okay with where I am right now. But everyone here expects me to gun for the promotion and my wife is right there with them, so I feel like I have to, even though I don't necessarily feel qualified for that higher level of responsibility.

Being a grown up sucks sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Hiring ? ;), yeah it does suck but I will find something, or else Mrs Wombat will kill me in my sleep

[quote name='Wombat']Hiring ? ;), yeah it does suck but I will find something, or else Mrs Wombat will kill me in my sleep[/quote]

Sure, assuming you're an experienced magazine editor and that you're willing to move to Atlanta. ;)

My wife tolerated my being unemployed for eight months (though in fairness it was because she took a job in another city, forcing us to move and leave my previous job), but by the end of it she was ready to put a pillow over my face. At that point, I don't think I would have stopped her.

[quote name='Wombat']Hiring ? ;), yeah it does suck but I will find something, or else Mrs Wombat will kill me in my sleep[/QUOTE]

Luckily you're in a big city with lots of oppertunities Wombat, I'm sure you'll find something!

[quote name='Wombat']I am currently being downsized at my place of employment, its made for a difficult week to say the least. So yeah I really wanted to update more but real life sometimes monkey wrenches everything, but we still plan on doing a show tonight, so stay tuned.[/QUOTE]

I don't like to hear things like this , with Christmas right around the corner .
I wish you the best of luck , in finding your dreamjob .

If it's any consolation I was fired on Dec. 12 1995 . From a job I was at for 4 years .
I had already charged my X-mas gifts that I intended to pay off , with my bonus [that I expected to receive that week] .
To make it almost worse , I was rallying the employees for a collection , for the boss's X-mas gift . I'm glad that gift was never purchased .

Man, that's horrible--hope I didn't sound facetious in my last post, as I was just curious to know what was happening with the daily journals this week. Sorry to hear about the downsizing; if the company has the gall to do this during the holidays, maybe it wasn't the best place to be employed anyway. Best of luck to you. Based on what I've read and heard from you, I'm sure you'll find something new straight away.

-G-

Thank you everyone for the support, I am actually at "work" today although they are not really paying me to be here. I hope that something comes down the pike soon, i don't know if it will but hey you never know

[quote name='Wombat']Thank you everyone for the support, I am actually at "work" today although they are not really paying me to be here. I hope that something comes down the pike soon, i don't know if it will but hey you never know[/QUOTE]

Trying to picture how that works. The day my company decides I'm not worth paying would pretty much coincide with the day I decide they're not worth working for.

[quote name='Tybee']Trying to picture how that works. The day my company decides I'm not worth paying would pretty much coincide with the day I decide they're not worth working for.[/QUOTE]

QFT

Wombat, don't get played. You're better than this!

I am better than this and wheels are in motion, but for now I will sit tight and work my sales job, that should give a clue to why I am here

[quote name='Wombat']I am better than this and wheels are in motion, but for now I will sit tight and work my sales job, that should give a clue to why I am here[/QUOTE]

So you're only getting paid commission, I take it?

[quote name='Tybee']So you're only getting paid commission, I take it?[/QUOTE]

Or connecting with the sales clients and working to get in with them in a better paying and more enjoyable position! That would be awesome.

hey wombat what do u think mrs wombat will get u for x mas and wat will u get her

o and u do celebrate x mas right?

A few updates, the employment situation is much improved thank you for all the well wishes. I can't go into to details yet, but as soon as I can I will, bit its good stuff I promise.

I am sorry for all those who are wondering why I haven't added them to my Wii yet, I have been in bed non-stop from Friday night until this morning with the worst stomach virus I have ever had. To quote Mrs Wombat referring to my Vomit marathon "it sounded like someone was dumping bags of ice into our toilet"

I am still feeling mixed but alot better than I was and plan on doing a show tonight, from what I can tell it should be fun and full of surprises.

[quote name='Wombat']I am still feeling mixed but alot better than I was and plan on doing a show tonight, from what I can tell it should be fun and full of surprises.[/quote]

Such as random vomiting? :booty:

Well one small update. I am officially Unemployed until Jan 2nd (when my new, new job starts) and lets all hope this is the good one. I will be fine for money as I made one big sale right before I said good bye. So all in all things seemed to have worked out, for now. Oh and this stomach Virus isnt all gone yet, so at least I get to rest up.

[quote name='Wombat']Well one small update. I am officially Unemployed until Jan 2nd (when my new, new job starts) and lets all hope this is the good one. I will be fine for money as I made one big sale right before I said good bye. So all in all things seemed to have worked out, for now. Oh and this stomach Virus isnt all gone yet, so at least I get to rest up.[/QUOTE]

the stomach flu sucks. just eat "light" food until your stomach can handle it and make sure to drink gatorade or pedialite since they replace the electrolytes you lose from vomitting.

g'luck on the new job.

I'm sure you know this by now, but try to avoid anything (beverages especially) with a lot of sugar in it. Your stomach won't react well. Also, avoid things that stain. Many years ago, I was taking care of a girlfriend with this affliction and I gave her some cherry Kool-Aid, breaking both rules. I don't think she ever got the stain out of her carpet.

[quote name='Wombat']Well one small update. I am officially Unemployed until Jan 2nd (when my new, new job starts) and lets all hope this is the good one. I will be fine for money as I made one big sale right before I said good bye. So all in all things seemed to have worked out, for now. Oh and this stomach Virus isnt all gone yet, so at least I get to rest up.[/QUOTE]
So... congratulations?

[quote name='Wombat']Well one small update. I am officially Unemployed until Jan 2nd (when my new, new job starts) and lets all hope this is the good one.[/QUOTE]

Is it too soon to declare 2007 to be The Year Of The Wombat? :)

[quote name='Wombat']I will be fine for money as I made one big sale right before I said good bye. So all in all things seemed to have worked out, for now. Oh and this stomach Virus isnt all gone yet, so at least I get to rest up.[/QUOTE]

Get well soon, comrade! We need to get you back in the ring, throwin' down instead of throwin' up.

Also, beware of anybody who has a honking bronchial cough... I got laid out hard with that crap a week ago and still have remnants of the cough. There's some seriously virulent stuff out there this cold and flu season.

I got a flu shot 6 weeks ago and so far that and Emergen-C have kept me from seeing so much as a sniffle despite everyone in the cubicles around me coming down with all manner of plagues.

*knocks firmly on wood*

I highly recommend Cold-Eeze zinc losanges. Those things are awesome. Take one right when you feel the first twinge of a cold and it'll knock it out of you. They keep me pretty healthy, except for the annual cold and flu season plague.

bread's done
Back