THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU, Square-Enix Modern-day RPG, out now! 9s up the wazoo!

Not really, they're all about the same. Generally speaking, the more efficient it is the more bonus-per-byte you get. Like, a 100 yen burger might give you +1 def in 8 bytes, while a 1000 yen ramen might give you +2 def in 14 bytes. There's never any huge difference in quality.

man u guys suck... the games not even out and u guys are spoiling it up -_-;;;

did you not read when I posted that power is yet unknown?!?!?!

let's keep it that way!!!!

Question: what is the price on this game? Is it the classic screw us over $39.99 because it is square or is it going to be lower. I am really interested in this game but I don't feel like paying $40 for a DS game.

It's $40 but worth it, and it'll hold its value better than most games anyway.

IMO, the true cost of a game is its depreciation, and in that sense TWEWY is going to be cheaper than most games. You can play it for six months and resell it for $10 less than you paid.

[quote name='JEKKI']man u guys suck... the games not even out and u guys are spoiling it up[/QUOTE]

I agree with JEKKI folks, please keep plot details in the spoiler tags.

[quote name='keithp']Ships tomorrow, 4/22. Probably won't be in stores until Wednesday at the earliest I would guess.[/QUOTE]
This.

Astonishes me that there are gamers who still don't know about ship dates.

[quote name='Koggit']Food items give you stat bonuses when digested -- different food items take different amounts of bytes to digest. One byte passes in each battle, with a maximum of 24 per day. So, if you eat a burger that gives you +1 attack and takes 8 bytes to digest, you have to fight 8 battles before it takes effect, and you can eat up to three of them per day (real-life day, not game-day).

PP is the experience for pins. EXP makes your characters gain levels, PP makes your pins gain levels. You get a certain amount of PP per battle, and at the end of each battle it's multiplied based on how quickly you finished, how many specials you've used, how many were chained, etc.

You're also awarded PP when not playing, at a rate of about 5 per hour (so, if you save and spend 20 hours without playing, you'll gain 100 PP when you log on again).

I just meant that because I battle a lot, so I end up getting a lot of PP (which levels pins, they eventually max/evolve).[/QUOTE]

ouch only can eat 3 times in a real day.. got to wonder how hard this game will be and how easy it will be to beat it.. Meaning could you rent this game off gamefly and beat it in a week or two or is it going to take months to really get everything done

hopefully if Gamefly 2 day shipping keeps up..

Rondo of swords shipped thursday got saturday WOOOOOO

this game should be here by Saturday (should ship weds or thursday)

Swords and pokemon darkness will hold me over till then (pokemon should be here weds-thur)

[quote name='lawlflip']Being able to eat only 3 items a day doesn't really make it any more difficult.[/quote]

yeah, but were Americans all we do is eat.

[quote name='slidecage']ouch only can eat 3 times in a real day.. got to wonder how hard this game will be and how easy it will be to beat it.. Meaning could you rent this game off gamefly and beat it in a week or two or is it going to take months to really get everything done

hopefully if Gamefly 2 day shipping keeps up..

Rondo of swords shipped thursday got saturday WOOOOOO

this game should be here by Saturday (should ship weds or thursday)

Swords and pokemon darkness will hold me over till then (pokemon should be here weds-thur)[/QUOTE]

Eating is an unnecessary bonus, really, and the bonuses are pretty minor.

But, about difficulty, the game can be set to be brutally hard, a cake walk, or anywhere in between. You have three things completely in your control that determine how hard the game is.

1) You can set the difficulty of enemies on the fly -- it affects enemy Attack/Defense stats. There's Easy, Normal, Hard and Ultimate. The higher the difficulty, the better items they can drop.

2) You can "chain" battles with enemies, meaning you fight them back to back. Your pins don't reset and you play with the same health bar. You can chain up to four battles together, which nets you more experience and a much better chance of "bling" (items) dropping.

3) You can lower your level (which only lowers your HP), regardless of how much experience you've gained. For example, even if you've gained enough EXP to be level 30, you can set your level as 3. This increases the chance for enemies to drop bling.

I usually battle 4-chains (four battles chained together) on Hard with my character around level 5, although I've gained enough experience to be level 27. By being 22 levels below my max, item drop probability is multiplied by 22, and by 4-chaining it's multiplied again by 4, so each noise is 88 times more likely to drop their item. For instance, a particular enemy might have a 0.4% chance to drop a certain pin, but by fighting him at level 5 in a 4-chain that jumps to 35%.

This is the system that makes the game so addictive, really. It's heaven for stat nerds like myself.

[quote name='Koggit']I usually battle 4-chains (four battles chained together) on Hard with my character around level 5, although I've gained enough experience to be level 27. By being 22 levels below my max, item drop probability is multiplied by 22, and by 4-chaining it's multiplied again by 4, so each noise is 88 times more likely to drop their item. For instance, a particular enemy might have a 0.4% chance to drop a certain pin, but by fighting him at level 5 in a 4-chain that jumps to 35%.

This is the system that makes the game so addictive, really. It's heaven for stat nerds like myself.[/quote]
Oh my god that RULES!

I need to try it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']This.

Astonishes me that there are gamers who still don't know about ship dates.[/QUOTE]no the game should be in stores today...

you're paying the squeenix tax / premium... they have enough power to guarantee a street date...

the words is that ppl already getting them from gc / gs/ eb...

I only hope target has it... it's been unannounced on their ads and I wanna use a $5 coupon

Heh, bought a copy from Walmart today.

Astonishes me that there are gamers who believe that games are unavailable on their ship dates.

For those who have played this - how tough would it be for left-handers? After reading about the game, it makes use of two-hand combat (your left hand on the digital pad and your right with a stylus).

Being left-handed, I'm not sure if I can pick this up knowing I'll have to use my right hand to direct the lower screen. Can this scheme be changed up at all?

Not trying to flame, but I've been playing this game for at least 5 hours so far.

If it doesn't feel fun by then, should I just quit? This game is ok, but I'm just not seeing how it's getting all these great reviews. Maybe reviewers are too lenient on unique hand held game experiences these days?

The characters and story are just uninteresting. The combat is innovative, but gets old because there's really no other significant game mechanic to compliment it. The music gets old very quickly because of the constant loops, and the whiny vocals ruin what could have been a passable song. I will give it one thing, it has a cute lil artstyle, but even the animations are underwhelming and often lifeless like something you'd find on newgrounds.

Maybe this just isn't my type of game, or I haven't gotten "it" yet.

[quote name='RudyPants']For those who have played this - how tough would it be for left-handers? After reading about the game, it makes use of two-hand combat (your left hand on the digital pad and your right with a stylus).

Being left-handed, I'm not sure if I can pick this up knowing I'll have to use my right hand to direct the lower screen. Can this scheme be changed up at all?[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain you can use the ABXY buttons the same as you use the d-pad. 99% sure a lefty would play the same as a righty.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Not trying to flame, but I've been playing this game for at least 5 hours so far.

If it doesn't feel fun by then, should I just quit? This game is ok, but I'm just not seeing how it's getting all these great reviews. Maybe reviewers are too lenient on unique hand held game experiences these days?

The characters and story are just uninteresting. The combat is innovative, but gets old because there's really no other significant game mechanic to compliment it. The music gets old very quickly because of the constant loops, and the whiny vocals ruin what could have been a passable song. I will give it one thing, it has a cute lil artstyle, but even the animations are underwhelming and often lifeless like something you'd find on newgrounds.

Maybe this just isn't my type of game, or I haven't gotten "it" yet.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more with the bold part. Most RPGs involve only combat and story. There is much more to the battle system than just combat in TWEWY. The merchant system, pin/evolution system, noise drops, brand loyalty, clothing abilities, food boosts, quest items... TWEWY has more variety than any other DS RPG I've played aside from, arguably, Partners In Time.

[quote name='Koggit']I'm fairly certain you can use the ABXY buttons the same as you use the d-pad. 99% sure a lefty would play the same as a righty.

I couldn't disagree more with the bold part. Most RPGs involve only combat and story. There is much more to the battle system than just combat in TWEWY. The merchant system, pin/evolution system, noise drops, brand loyalty, clothing abilities, food boosts, quest items... TWEWY has more variety than any other DS RPG I've played aside from, arguably, Partners In Time.[/quote]

Oh I realize the depth to the combat, but I still think based on what I've played the game could have had more of another strong gameplay element. I just don't think the combat feels interesting enough on its own from my 5 hours.

Actually, now that I've been playing it more I think I'm appreciating it more. At first it felt like a 6, but now I think it's gone to a solid 7/10 for me.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Oh I realize the depth to the combat, but I still think based on what I've played the game could have had more of another strong gameplay element. I just don't think the combat feels interesting enough on its own from my 5 hours.

Actually, now that I've been playing it more I think I'm appreciating it more. At first it felt like a 6, but now I think it's gone to a solid 7/10 for me.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I can't really think of any RPG with a strong element outside of combat/story, except for the few that involve puzzles, but those are usually a bit half-assed -- TWEWY sort of has half-assed puzzles in the Imprint system and getting rid of walls.

Have you tried Tin Pin Slammers? It's a pretty fun mini-game.

[quote name='RudyPants']For those who have played this - how tough would it be for left-handers? After reading about the game, it makes use of two-hand combat (your left hand on the digital pad and your right with a stylus).

Being left-handed, I'm not sure if I can pick this up knowing I'll have to use my right hand to direct the lower screen. Can this scheme be changed up at all?[/quote]
ABXY buttons replace the dpad, and you can use the stylus the whole game.

[quote name='lawlflip']Heh, bought a copy from Walmart today.

Astonishes me that there are gamers who believe that games are unavailable on their ship dates.[/QUOTE]
lmao. Because one game dictates how the other 99% of games are released.

So did you pick up a copy of Persona 3 FES yesterday?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']lmao. Because one game dictates how the other 99% of games are released.

So did you pick up a copy of Persona 3 FES yesterday?[/quote]
lulz

As for FES, I'm getting it this weekend. :]
Wait, how did you know I was buying it?

[quote name='lawlflip']lulz

As for FES, I'm getting it this weekend. :]
Wait, how did you know I was buying it?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he meant that as in "so did you pick up FES yesterday, the DAY BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED?" or something along those lines.

^lmao

PS: I want this game
Im thinking getting it at target with that $5 off coupon.
You know, before it becomes rare and hard to get.
Then again, its not like i dont need to finish:
Etrian odyssey
Phoenix wright 2, 3
Castlevania PoR
Lunar knights
Riviera
geez

I've been wanting a new DS game and this looks intresting. Think I'll pick it up later today. I've been to Shibuya so seeing the giant cross-walk and Hachiko (the statue of the dog) brings back good memories.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Im thinking getting it at target with that $5 off coupon.
You know, before it becomes rare and hard to get.
T[/QUOTE]

Do Squeenix games ever become rare? I was figuring that, regardless of how well this sells now, eventually sales will slow and we'll get a price cut. Is there any reason to worry this might become hard to find?

[quote name='crunchewy']Do Squeenix games ever become rare? I was figuring that, regardless of how well this sells now, eventually sales will slow and we'll get a price cut. Is there any reason to worry this might become hard to find?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it'll ever become rare, but I also doubt you'll see it drop in price any time soon. Judging by past Square DS releases, in about a year you might see a $10 drop.

For console games that are $30 cheaper a year later, I might understand... but for DS games, especially Square, waiting is pointless. You can always resell it later for ~$10 less than you paid.

[quote name='crunchewy']Do Squeenix games ever become rare? I was figuring that, regardless of how well this sells now, eventually sales will slow and we'll get a price cut. Is there any reason to worry this might become hard to find?[/QUOTE]

I was being sarcastic. But if there it means anything, i bought FF 12 from TRU $10 2 months ago...when did that come out?

yea, wait about that long...

[quote name='Koggit']I doubt it'll ever become rare, but I also doubt you'll see it drop in price any time soon. Judging by past Square DS releases, in about a year you might see a $10 drop.

For console games that are $30 cheaper a year later, I might understand... but for DS games, especially Square, waiting is pointless. You can always resell it later for ~$10 less than you paid.[/QUOTE]

$35 DS games already cause me to wince and I don't buy them generally. $40 is way too much for a DS game no matter how good. Heck, I don't normally pay that much for console games either. I'll wait. The only reason I wouldn't wait is if it was likely to go up in price. I've got a backlog anyway.

It's worth it to me having purchased the game to support this sort of IP.

I feel there's a time and a place for being cheap, but when creative titles with zany characters and different battle systems come out (especially in a JRPG, where risks aren't taken too often), I'm going to plop down my money.

Having played the game for about two hours, I'm really enjoying it. The music is great, but I agree with others in this thread that it's on too short of a loop.

i think rondo of swords burned me out. I didnt care for the game.... though i only put hour into it.... i got it till netx sunday ( may 4 got it off blockbuster) so i still got time to put into it)

I enjoyed most of the game, only problems that I had with it is that some of the music in the game gets VERY repetative, I ALWAYS DRESS IN RAGS,
and in the last week, it gets quite annoying when you're put into a message sequence after every fucking area change.

10/10, definitely will be replaying this.

I'm really starting to like this game.

Still think there are some presentation and story issues to be found(though I like the style, if the jsr avy didn't give that away), but overall I gotta say it's better than I thought it would be.

Also my other complaint is that it's too easy. I just wish there were some more challenge and benefit from discovering different pins and such.

However, I'm thankful that there's no overly repetitive grinding going on.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']I was being sarcastic. But if there it means anything, i bought FF 12 from TRU $10 2 months ago...when did that come out?

yea, wait about that long...[/QUOTE]

Their console games have always dropped in price pretty fast (everything since FF7 has), but their DS games are another matter. Their DS games rarely drop, and never by much.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Also my other complaint is that it's too easy. I just wish there were some more challenge and benefit from discovering different pins and such.[/quote]
It gets harder. Maybe set it to Hard difficulty when you unlock it.

[quote name='Koggit']Their console games have always dropped in price pretty fast (everything since FF7 has), but their DS games are another matter. Their DS games rarely drop, and never by much.[/QUOTE]

Well, i still have not jumped on FF3. (Ill rather wait for FF4.)
So hopefully this game will be cheap sometime sooner than FF3 ever was.

bread's done
Back