The WRESTLEMANIA 24 Wrestling Thread! Wooooooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned my TV on at like 9:13, saw HHH in the ring droning on only to hear that the main event would be a wrestlemania showcase and I decided COD4 would be a better use of my time.

I'm just not feeling the Wrestlemania magic this year, even though I don't really have any solid ideas as to who is going to win any of them. Especially Umaga vs. Batista for brand supremacy. Most important match of the night.

Umaga vs. Batista is far from the most important match on the card - for goodness sake, they've spent more time using SvR '08 to build it up than the actual wrestlers. This year's 'Mania build has been very inconsistent, especially compared to last year's remarkable build for feuds, especially the main event matches. This year, the world title matches' builds have been cold, especially Edge-Taker (or moreso the ECW title match, if you consider that a world title). Shawn-Flair has been built up very, very well though. Show-Mayweather has had some remarkable stuff, but most of the build has either been boring or embarrassing, and tonight, six days before WM, Show was both a heel and a face at various points in the show. I cannot fathom just what part of Show-Mayweather is supposed to be compelling now.

Anyway, the AWA show tonight was largely monotonous, although it was amusing to hear GREG GAGNE, YES, THE ONE AND ONLY GREG GAGNE! put over like God's gift to wrestling, while the near-500 pound Jerry Blackwell was treated like Tiger Mask's doppleganger. The women's title match falling apart at various points was amusing, as was DeBeers complaining that he wasn't given a chance to get across HIS POLITICAL VIEWS, but this was one of the most uneventful AWA shows shown yet on ESPN Classic. It was full of funny quotes though.

Quotes -
Announcer - Your referee - Doug Gilbert. From South Africa, Colonel DeBeers. DeBeers.
Trongard - The AWA - the very best in professional wrestling.
Blears - They know their wrestling down here in Nebraska. This DeBeers knows his wrestling - he’s a former rugby player, and knows the art of professional wrestling.
Trongard - Many words can be used to describe DeBeers - despicable, incorrigible, psychotic, sadistic, deranged…
Blears - Wow, you got me on some of those, but then again, you went to a good American college. You know many adjectives.
Trongard - DeBeers, against the black man.
Blears - Now when I say “the good colonel”, I don’t mean I agree with his view, just that I call it as I see it.
Blears - I talked to DeBeers earlier, and he said that some men are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them, like him. Well, you can’t blame a guy for trying to get himself over.
Trongard - That clothesline would have finished off a normal man, but Pete Sanchez is definitely a cut above average.
Nelson - I want this straight out - why did you interfere in the tag title match?
DeBeers - LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING, WHY DO YOU MEDDLE IN THE AFFAIRS OF SOUTH AFRICA? YOU CAN’T ANSWER, CAN YA!? THE GOOD COLONEL HAS AN ANSWERS - SCOTT HALL HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE A NON-ATHLETE. HE HAS TO USE ANABOLIC STEROIDS TO GET THE COURAGE TO FACE COLONEL DEBEERS, THAT SHOWS A LACK OF SELF-CONFIDENCE AND ABILITY!
(Fans chant U.S.A. and “We Want Hall”)Nelson- THEY WANT SCOTT HALL!
DeBeers - LISTEN IDIOTS, YOU’VE BEEN READING THE OMAHA PAPER! A LIBERAL RAG THAT HAS LED YOU DOWN THE WRONG PATH! SOUTH AFRICA! SOUTH AFRICA! The cries, they die down after a while - if they really believed that Hall would come to this ring, they would be livid, and raise their voices…
Nelson - We’re out of time…
DeBeers - NO WE AREN’T, I HAVEN’T SPOKEN ABOUT MY POLITICAL VIEWS YET! LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!
Announcer - The number one Alaskan - Rick Renslow.
Trongard - The crowd is still buzzing from Colonel DeBeers and Pete Sanchez!
Trongard - Greg Gagne is, of course, GREG GAGNE! ONE OF THE WORLD’S FINEST WRESTLERS! HIS FATHER’S A FORMER WORLD CHAMPION, AND HE’S A FORMER CHAMPION AS WELL!
Blears - Yes, he’s a former champion, and while he may not be as large as his opponent, he doesn’t need to be when he can use his speed to take him down.
Blears - If I-F - one of the shortest words in the alphabet…
Trongard - Jerry Blackwell, at 473 pounds, is one of the most agile men you’ll ever see.
Blears - He can really move around. Several years ago, he was in a ring where he climbed up a ladder to get a pot of gold and he was climbing up it like a chipmunk. He can fly, he can slow down, and he knows when to tag out.
Blears - Greg with a classic headlock takedown, taught to him by his father…
Trongard - We see the grabbing of the tights, you see it, but the referee doesn’t see it.
Blears - Some have said we need 3 referees, or one for each side of the ring, but then you’d end up having a match with 10 referees, and like any other sport, there should just be one.
Trongard - Blackwell with seven head butts in a row!
Blears - I’ve seen him drive a spike through a board with his head.
(during a club to the back)Blears - Blackwell is fighting for his life here in this tag team thriller!
Trongard - HERE COMES GREG GAGNE! BACK BODY DROP, AND HE TOOK CARE OF WINSLOW AS WELL! Blackwell tagged in, methodically going after Winslow!
Greg Gagne - Blackwell and I have a thorn in our neck known as Sheik Adnan Al-Kaisse, who took an American who trained at OUR CAMP and called him Nord the Barbarian, he’s got a guy named Ali Khan - that’s Tom Lentz, I TRAINED HIM, and he followed the money of the sheik - he sold out!
Blackwell - FIRST OF ALL, EVERYONE SAYS THAT MONEY TALKS AND BULL CRAP WALKS! THERE AIN’T ENOUGH MONEY OUT THERE IN DAT ARAB WORLD TO GET ME TO NOT FIGHT YOU! YOU SEE WHAT HE DONE, HE FLEW OFF DAT TOP ROPE! I MIGHT DO THAT AND SEE THE SPEW COME OUTTA THEM!
Bockwinkel - This Barbarian is another giant, tremendously strong, another employee of Sheik Adnan Al-Kaisse. There’s nothing Sheik would like more than to take the world title to his Arab countries, but I’ll do everything I can to make sure that doesn’t happen.
Trongard - There are rumors that Sheik Al-Kaisse has something to do with the results of these matches…
Bockwinkel - Well, it’s my understanding that he was on his country’s Olympic wrestling team. He’s a wrestling expert and well-qualified.
(after being slammed into the bleachers on the other side of the building)Bockwinkel - Ferris is coming back, and I’m sure that the referee has extended his 10 count because of how should we say… the Barbarian trying to put him through the side of the building.
(on Renslow’s slams)Trongard - THEY’RE GETTING HIGHER ALL THE TIME!
Trongard - ANOTHER BACK SUPLEX, HOW MANY MORE OF THESE CAN HE TAKE, NICK BOCKWINKEL?
Bockwinkel - I don’t know…
Nelson - The victory for the Barbarian and Zhukov, for Adnan Al-Kaisse.
Adnan - WE’LL HAVE THE TAG TEAM CHAMPION BELTS! WE ALSO ISSUE A CHALLENGE FOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BELT! MY MEN READY TO CAPTURE TAG TEAM BELTS AND READY TO CAPTURE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF WORLD!
Nord - THE SHEIK ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING UP HIS SLEEVE, AND NO ONE’S BEEN ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! NOT EVEN THOSE MIDGETS, GREG GAGNE AND CURT HENNIG, AND NICK BOCKINKEL, THE DICK CLARK OF WRESTLING!
Zhukov - HENNIG, GET A NEW PARTNER! SCOTT HALL IS A COWARD!
Adnan - COME OUT, WE WANT YOUR MEN RIGHT NOW!
Nelson - THEY WANT TO TAKE THE BELTS BACK TO THE FAR EAST! THE MISSION IS DECLARED!
(on Sherri)Blears - If she showed up wearing that tight outfit in my day, she’d… go to the pokey.
Trongard - I was wondering what you were gonna say.
Blears - In Japan, they have women’s wrestling, but they didn’t wrestle on the same cards as the men, but now, they’re working at the beginning of the same cards, so they’re making progress.
Trongard - Sherr will wrestle in Japan in October.
Blears - Yes, I’m sure I’ll be there at that time. I’m looking forward to seeing the Japanese wrestling fans - there are millions of them!
Trongard - Sherri starting off shirtly… I was starting to say shortly, but said shirtly… let’s leave it at that.
Blears - Jasmine is claiming skullduggery - women have been known to do things that aren’t right.
Blears - That Jasmine just took a bump on the hard floor.
Trongard - It’s as hard as it could possibly be!
Blears - I cannot believe it - the women wrestlers are using head butts.
Nelson - Still, the women’s champion of the world, Sherri Martel.
Sherri - It don’t matter what you say, or what these idiots say - the referee’s decision says that I win fair and square.
Nelson - So, that wasn’t controversial?
Rose - WHY IS EVERYTHING CONTROVERSIAL!? WE ALWAYS WIN FAIR AND SQUARE. WE DON’T NEED TO USE THE ROPES, WE USE KNOWLEDGE - WE’RE THE TAG CHAMPIONS, AND SHE’S THE WOMEN’S WORLD CHAMPION!
Nelson - Are you gonna tell me you didn’t have the ropes?
Sherri - WHAT?!
Rose - She didn’t have the ropes - she just grabbed the legs. I could cradle you, or Brad Rheighnans could do it - we are wrestlers and we know how to use wrestling as an advantage!

I was being sarcastic about the brand supremacy thing. Point being, I'm not interested in the matches this year. I mean, Trump vs. Vince had a rediculous amount of build compared to Show/Mayweather, granted the names are a little bit less well known.

All in all, I'm only interested in the Flair and MitB matches.

Hmm, I might have to grab a download of Raw for the Flair promo from the sound of it. I agree with the Sting/Flair comment, but I'd add to it that I'd love to see Flair go out a heel. Dance with the girl that brought ya.

I don't know if anyone else feels like this but i can't stand all the marketing promotion shoved down my fucking throat when i'm watching Raw. Its like a glorified commercial with a little wrestling here and there. Every wrestler that has merchandise comes out decked in it like a 10 year old fanboy... shirt, wristbands, necklaces, hat, etc. Then they say something like "this is my new shirt" I don't ever remember it being that bad in the past. Then there's always that shitty band they are promoting with the official PPV song, which is always horrendous. The whole opening promo seemed so dumb and more like a 20 minute plugfest to try to get more people interested in wrestlemania. I understand promoting something but fuck there has to be a different way. I got so annoyed with it last night i turned it off.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I don't know if anyone else feels like this but i can't stand all the marketing promotion shoved down my fucking throat when i'm watching Raw. Its like a glorified commercial with a little wrestling here and there. Every wrestler that has merchandise comes out decked in it like a 10 year old fanboy... shirt, wristbands, necklaces, hat, etc. Then they say something like "this is my new shirt" I don't ever remember it being that bad in the past. Then there's always that shitty band they are promoting with the official PPV song, which is always horrendous. The whole opening promo seemed so dumb and more like a 20 minute plugfest to try to get more people interested in wrestlemania. I understand promoting something but fuck there has to be a different way. I got so annoyed with it last night i turned it off.[/quote]

I totally agree. I don't watch wrestling as much as I use to, especially since WWF became WWE. I'll tune in to RAW and TNA occasionally. Triple H plugging his shirt annoyed me last night. While I think the promoting has gotten out of hand, it's been part of wrestling since PPVs came into existence.

also, does anyone have a clue as to why kennedy hasnt been on the shows for the past 2 weeks, aside from a pretaped promo?

[quote name='Shmitty']i've talked with my cousin (cdubb) about this a bit, but it absolutely kills me it isn't sting/flair at wrestlemania. especially after going back and checking out some of their previous matches together, from the last nitro all the way back to sting's first match against him. it just seems too fitting for wwe and tna to not have worked something out.[/QUOTE]

Not using Sting I can understand.

Not using Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, who is not only a legendary Flair rival, but also was in (arguably) the best WM match ever, is a travesty. Sure, HBK is an active wrestler - but he doesn't *need* (nor will he gain) anything from beating Flair.

Steamboat/Flair should have been on the card. Steamboat's probably in better shape than Flair anyway.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I don't know if anyone else feels like this but i can't stand all the marketing promotion shoved down my fucking throat when i'm watching Raw. Its like a glorified commercial with a little wrestling here and there. Every wrestler that has merchandise comes out decked in it like a 10 year old fanboy... shirt, wristbands, necklaces, hat, etc. Then they say something like "this is my new shirt" I don't ever remember it being that bad in the past. Then there's always that shitty band they are promoting with the official PPV song, which is always horrendous. The whole opening promo seemed so dumb and more like a 20 minute plugfest to try to get more people interested in wrestlemania. I understand promoting something but fuck there has to be a different way. I got so annoyed with it last night i turned it off.[/QUOTE]

It bothers me, but what really got under my skin the past few weeks (well, since the Royal Rumble, really), has been the tired,tired,tired,fuckinmygodtired camera angle/point at the Wrestlemania sign. It's lazy as an idea and in execution, and it's so overused.

I don't believe Flair will lose to HBK. I think Flair will go over HBK and then lose to Orton at Backlash or at some point down the line to Orton.

[quote name='mykevermin']It bothers me, but what really got under my skin the past few weeks (well, since the Royal Rumble, really), has been the tired,tired,tired,fuckinmygodtired camera angle/point at the Wrestlemania sign. It's lazy as an idea and in execution, and it's so overused.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, Punk has been doing it like 10 times everytime he comes out/wins a match. Its like alright we fucking get it already.

When main eventers like Trips or Cena point to the WM sign, it's one thing, but when midcarders like Carlito or Punk do it, it's just pointless.

[quote name='cdubb1605']also, does anyone have a clue as to why kennedy hasnt been on the shows for the past 2 weeks, aside from a pretaped promo?[/quote]

He's filming a movie. Direct to video sequel to 'Behind Enemy Lines'.

[quote name='007']He's filming a movie. Direct to video sequel to 'Behind Enemy Lines'.[/quote]

I thought that movie already came out.

A Flair/Steamboat match never even occurred to me and now just the idea has me salivating. I watched their series of matches for the NWA world title back in '89 (I think) and they really changed my expectations for a wrestling match. WWE could have had them go to a 30 minute draw, Flair going over Steamboat, it wouldn't matter. It would easily have been the highlight of the night, which probably would have helped nix the match in the first place. I need to go dig through my VHS tapes and find those matches. Maybe I'll just watch those instead of WM.

[quote name='TheRock88']I thought that movie already came out.[/quote]

It did. This must be another sequel. Nothing like starring in a direct-to-DVD sequel to a direct-to-DVD sequel to launch your film career.

[quote name='mykevermin']Steamboat/Flair should have been on the card. Steamboat's probably in better shape than Flair anyway.[/QUOTE]A well-intentioned idea, but I feel like all that would do is make people compare it to their old match. Flair and HBK works because they don't really have a standout match to look back on (they've wrestled on an off-month PPV here and there, but nothing with a HUGE build), so this match gets to really stand on its own.

heh, remember Steamboat's cameo at last year's Wrestlemania? That was epic! I used to have an animated .gif of that... I gotta find that again!
EDIT: YEAH BABY!!!
ricky.gif

[quote name='BustaUppa']heh, remember Steamboat's cameo at last year's Wrestlemania? That was epic! I used to have an animated .gif of that... I gotta find that again![/quote]

That was arguably my favorite moment of WM last year. I completely marked out. I was at a restaurant and actually yelled (a little too loudly) "Steamboat!". I heard somebody in the next booth say "Who's that?". Fortunately I was able to restrain myself from smacking them.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']Someone should find that gif. I haven't seen that.[/QUOTE]found it! added it to my post! I stole it from an avatar I saw a while ago, so it isn't that big.

[quote name='cdubb1605']seriously?[/quote]

Sadly, yeah.

[quote name='TheRock88']I thought that movie already came out.[/quote]

There *was* already a DTV Behind Enemy Lines 2, this is number 3.

Steamboat can't wrestle - he's legally prevented from doing so due to his insurance claim, and it doesn't seem like he has any desire to get back into the ring again as an active competitor beyond being a ref. HBK facing Flair gives Flair one last epic Flair match, and has resulted in some excellent promo work, something that Steamboat likely wouldn't be able to provide.

I'd have loved to see Steamboat as the guest ref for Flair-HBK, but WWE's decided not to use him in that role, and given how Steamboat is a virtual unknown to current fans compared to Flair or HBK today, I can understand why they did that. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get an Arn or Steamboat backstage bit with Flair at 'Mania.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Steamboat can't wrestle - he's legally prevented from doing so due to his insurance claim, and it doesn't seem like he has any desire to get back into the ring again as an active competitor beyond being a ref.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Mr. Perfect lose out on a huge insurance claim/payoff from being a guest ref back in the WWF days?

No - his was bought out by WCW when he became an active wrestler there. He kept teasing a WWF return to get them to pay it, but they wouldn't do it, WCW, so he went there.

The most Steamboat has done since retiring nearly 14 years ago was get into a scuffle with Punk where he did a diving cross body - that's the extent of what he was able to do without violating his agreement. Rick Rude had a similar policy where, if he was involved in wrestling, he could only be on offense and couldn't bump for anyone. The most risky thing Rude ever did in a ring after also retiring in '94 was a Rude Awakening.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Dragon Gate Challenge II"
Orlando Downtown Recreation Complex
March 28th, 2008- 8:00pm belltime
649 West Livingston Street
Orlando, FL 32801

Save 15-20% on tickets now at ROHwrestling.com.

ROH, Dragon Gate & NOAH vs. No Remorse Corps
Erick Stevens, CIMA & Go Shiozaki vs. FIP World Heavyweight Champion Roderick Strong & ROH World Tag Team Champions Davey Richards & Rocky Romero

ROH vs. Dragon Gate Match #1
Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Dragon Kid & Ryo Saito

ROH vs. Dragon Gate Match #2
Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino

ROH vs. Dragon Gate Match #3
Austin Aries vs. Genki Horiguchi

ROH vs. Dragon Gate March #4
Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black with Lacey vs. BxB Hulk & Shingo

Non-Title Match
ROH World Champion Nigel McGuinness vs. Delirious

Tammy Sytch and Bushwacker Luke will be signing autographs!!!

Plus more with: Larry Sweeney with Bobby Dempsey & Shane Hagadorn; Ruckus & Jigsaw of The Vulture Squad; Sal Rinauro, Kenny King & Chasyn Rance of The YRR; plus others!!!
[/FONT]

What's with ECW getting the last 2 HoF inductees? Are they so minor that they put it on the lowest rated show? Or is it some ratings ploy to get people to actually watch ECW?

Oh as for WM promotions, I am getting tired of seeing commercials for it on every freaking channel. They even advertised it on G4's Attack of the Show last night. It is the worst built up WM they've done in at least 10 years.

Somehow it's supposed to be 4 hours even though there's about 6 matches on the card? That has to be the lowest amount of matches for a WM they've in a while.

Both. I doubt that someone to be inducted who is announced 4 days before the event is going to be of "Macho" proportions.

It'll be fuckin' Howard Finkel or some shit.

Apparently, Gordon Solie's induction is being announced tonight on ECW, which I'm excited about, as he'd then be part of both WCW and WWE's Halls of Fame. Jim Ross induction him would be fitting given that both men are called the greatest wrestling play-by-play men in history.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I don't know if anyone else feels like this but i can't stand all the marketing promotion shoved down my fucking throat when i'm watching Raw. Its like a glorified commercial with a little wrestling here and there. Every wrestler that has merchandise comes out decked in it like a 10 year old fanboy... shirt, wristbands, necklaces, hat, etc. Then they say something like "this is my new shirt" I don't ever remember it being that bad in the past. Then there's always that shitty band they are promoting with the official PPV song, which is always horrendous. The whole opening promo seemed so dumb and more like a 20 minute plugfest to try to get more people interested in wrestlemania. I understand promoting something but fuck there has to be a different way. I got so annoyed with it last night i turned it off.[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking the same thing last night during the 10 or so minutes that I watched. RAW has become a big infomercial for the next PPV, going so far as to add advertisment space for the next PPV into the set.

I'm beginning to think that I need to just stop watching the WWE for awhile. I don't watch Smackdown, I quit watching ECW weekly about the time Lashley was champ, and basically quit altogether once Punk got the belt and everything was put on cruise control, and now RAW is wearing thin on my patience.

[quote name='tangytangerine']What's with ECW getting the last 2 HoF inductees?

Somehow it's supposed to be 4 hours even though there's about 6 matches on the card? That has to be the lowest amount of matches for a WM they've in a while.[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are 10 matches on the card which is 2 more than last year.

Wrestling TV shows are SUPPOSED TO BE INFOMERCIALS. Before, they were infomercials for upcoming house shows, now they're vehicles to promote PPVs. They've always been used as a vehicle to plug either a series of big shows or one big one, only with varying degrees of quality wrestling on them, and varying degrees of success regarding convincing people to buy the product you're pitching to them.

A post from Bill Watts about his memories of Gary Hart and some Youtube links (it's bizarre to see Bill Watts referencing Youtube...)-
http://www.wrestlingfigs.com/inner2.php?id=7401&page_id=1

A Wrestling Classics thread full of memories of Gary from fans and those who knew him, along with some clips of his promos.
http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=086305;p=1

WWE's video tribute page to Gary Hart -
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/6686296/

[quote name='Zen Davis']ROH[/QUOTE]

Those fuckers need to hurry up and announce what the stipulation is going to be for the Strong/Stevens match.

Stipulations To Be Announced After March 22nd FIP Event
Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens

I'm hoping for either a last man standing, cage or ladder match.

[quote name='Sporadic']Those fuckers need to hurry up and announce what the stipulation is going to be for the Strong/Stevens match.

Stipulations To Be Announced After March 22nd FIP Event
Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens

I'm hoping for either a last man standing, cage or ladder match.[/quote]

Coming tomorrow. Probably a Dog Collar match.

And to be honest man, those guys are going to beat the shit out of each other.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Not entirely. Matt has a "house" with a "garage."[/quote]

So he has one-and-a-half cardboard boxes?

[quote name='Zen Davis']Coming tomorrow. Probably a Dog Collar match.

And to be honest man, those guys are going to beat the shit out of each other.[/quote]

Sounds about right.

I wasn't a fan at first, but Erick Stevens has grown on me. Like a mold with a mohawk. ;)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]From the ROH boards in case anyone is interested.

Final post before the Orlando events. Selling:

2 tickets - 3/28 Orlando - Dragon Gate Challenge II- 3rd row
2 tickets - 3/29 Orlando - Supercard of Honor III - 3rd row

Price is $30 per ticket. That's 25% off the face value. I'll be in Orlando for both shows, so you can pick the tickets up there. When and where is VERY flexible. E-mail me if interested.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] 2 front rows available for 3/28 in Orlando. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I'm willing to take some $$$ off of the face value.[/FONT]

[quote name='Zen Davis']Coming tomorrow. Probably a Dog Collar match.

And to be honest man, those guys are going to beat the shit out of each other.[/QUOTE]

Well, that sucks. I've never been a fan of dog collar matches.

Yeah, I understand that. That's why I wanted a Last Man Standing (where hopefully they would fight in the crowd) or a Cage (which is always fantastic)

[quote name='Sporadic']Well, that sucks. I've never been a fan of dog collar matches.

Yeah, I understand that. That's why I wanted a Last Man Standing (where hopefully they would fight in the crowd) or a Cage (which is always fantastic)[/quote]

I think it might actually be really badass. If you haven't seen their recent matches, those guys LIGHT each other up with some of the stiffest shots this side of MMA.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Wrestling TV shows are SUPPOSED TO BE INFOMERCIALS. Before, they were infomercials for upcoming house shows, now they're vehicles to promote PPVs. They've always been used as a vehicle to plug either a series of big shows or one big one, only with varying degrees of quality wrestling on them, and varying degrees of success regarding convincing people to buy the product you're pitching to them.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone's disputing that. They are disputing that WWE's blatant, lazy, and repetitive marketing is making the show hard to bear watching. Of COURSE they want you to buy the PPV, but they also have to be able to entertain you and keep you watching the show in order to convey the sales pitch to you. If you ain't watchin' the show, you ain't watchin' their commercials and plugs.

For those who missed ECW tonight Gordon Solie was announced as the last person for the WWE HOF. Show from the results looks pretty much any recent ECW show.... in other words stale.

So, looking at the MITB participants, I have to say that, due to the removal of Jeff Hardy, I have absolutely no idea who is going over.

Carlito? HA.
Morrison? I like the man, but it's a bit too soon.
MVP? Not a bad choice, but he still has to get through that pesky US title feud with Hardy.
Jericho? Doesn't even really need it, so a complete waste of MITB.
Punk? Unless they're going to pull the trigger and move him to another brand, pointless.
Benjamin? Are you fucking serious?
Kennedy? Problematic, as they've buried him since he won last year, and he keeps saying he'd cash it in that night, which ruins a surprise if he does, and ruins his credibility even more if he doesn't. Even if he did win and cash it in, it's a sure thing he'd get demolished by HHH or Cena within 2 months, making it, again, pointless.

Now... let's be fair. The inevitable has to happen at some point, which is that the MITB winner will eventually have to use the briefcase and LOSE. This year might not be a bad year to do it, considering the lack of good candidates.

Basically, outside of Flair/HBK, this is the only match on WM that I find even remotely interesting, so I figured I'd see if I could get some other opinions on it.

EDIT - Ok, so I just read that the 24 man battle royal at Mania is now a dark match available on WWE.com only? :lol: Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back