The "WrestleMania Stinks" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of ZD questions I have been pondering lately:

Any chance we ever get to see that screenplay you wrote about the guy killing people going up the staircase?

Oh and do you still fill your backpack with rocks?

[quote name='BlueSwim']Best $5 you'll spend all year.

Here's a renaming guide for the roster: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/927675-fire-pro-wrestling-returns/faqs/38973[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I played the game for a little bit with a buddy last night, seemed pretty legit. Also seems like there is actually a bit of a learning curve to the game (as to how to do certain moves, etc) ... obviously the game came disc only, but was in pristine condition, surprisingly.

I might look into buying an Action Replay Max as well so I can download different theme packs and wrestler packs. Setting up a Monday Night Wars-era WCW Nitro/Clash of the Champions ring (with wrasslers to boot) gets me a little pumped to try out.

The last non-WCW or WWF/E branded wrestling game I have played was Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 -- and that was at least 10 years ago.

Nah, the game really does really work for you, but only if you get the timing down.

If you're a button masher (and I am), don't read instructions (I don't), and tried to import it years ago (I found a copy of Six Man Scramble for Saturn at a game store in the late 90's), and didn't know Japanese (I didn't at the time), it was fucking MERCILESS.

I couldn't figure out why people liked it. But if you get the timing down to the extent that you can play back and forth on higher difficulties, it's crazy satisfying. I wonder if I still have a disc copy somewhere. I know I still have my King of Colosseum discs packed up somewhere.

Haha, yeah... I saw a reviewer said not to mash buttons, and I'm a button masher, so it's a hard habit to break. Got my ass whipped in my first match. Then tried battle royal and was the second person suplexed out of the ring. Hilarious.

[quote name='HydroX']Haha, yeah... I saw a reviewer said not to mash buttons, and I'm a button masher, so it's a hard habit to break. Got my ass whipped in my first match. Then tried battle royal and was the second person suplexed out of the ring. Hilarious.[/QUOTE]

What you want to do is start off at the easiest level and practice timing grapples and slowly increasing the difficulty once you get the hang of it. You also want to do the same with strikes as getting the distance and timing down requires some practice as well.

[quote name='ced']I don't understand the context, but I'm sure it's equally absurd even if I did.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the context—and I wrote it. ;)

-

This week I've been going through one of my puro phases. Kept this channel open on one of my other monitors while I did some work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ClassicPuro/videos?flow=grid&view=0

When I was a kid, one Halloween I went as The Big Boss Man. Watched him in WWE then WCW then back in WWE. He never got enough love for his work. And aside from Muta, who is like a kindred spirit, I was a big fan of Misawa. There's a six man tag match in the uploads with Misawa, Boss Man, and others you'll surely recognize. I watched that first.

[quote name='HydroX']Haha, yeah... I saw a reviewer said not to mash buttons, and I'm a button masher, so it's a hard habit to break. Got my ass whipped in my first match. Then tried battle royal and was the second person suplexed out of the ring. Hilarious.[/QUOTE]

It took awhile for me to unlearn mashing buttons during a grapple when I first started FPR, but after a few days it became second nature and the game became much more fun.

In other news, Maffew is off of hiatus and posted Botchamania 230 and 231:

http://botchamania.com/botchamania-230-231/

I finished the documentary part of the new Foley video. I'm biased but it was pretty great. Nothing I didn't already know, and they unsurprisingly skipped over his trip to TNA to win the title but he's a really incredible storyteller. In this case it happens to be an abbreviated story of his whole career.

My biggest gripe is that no one has been able to put his best deathmatch against Terry Funk onto a video, ever from what I can tell. It was in Guma, Japan if I remember correctly from his books. I'd still love to see that match.

[quote name='Halo05']I finished the documentary part of the new Foley video. I'm biased but it was pretty great. Nothing I didn't already know, and they unsurprisingly skipped over his trip to TNA to win the title but he's a really incredible storyteller. In this case it happens to be an abbreviated story of his whole career.

My biggest gripe is that no one has been able to put his best deathmatch against Terry Funk onto a video, ever from what I can tell. It was in Guma, Japan if I remember correctly from his books. I'd still love to see that match.[/QUOTE]
I -think- it's on ICP's Stranglemania video. Despite it being ICP, it's not a terrible video aside from commentary (which is almost a MST3K type thing) and probably cheap to track down.

[quote name='Purple Flames']It took awhile for me to unlearn mashing buttons during a grapple when I first started FPR, but after a few days it became second nature and the game became much more fun.

In other news, Maffew is off of hiatus and posted Botchamania 230 and 231:

http://botchamania.com/botchamania-230-231/[/QUOTE]

On BM 231: The suicide dive at 6:30 in .. wow. I've never laughed so hard at something like that in my life.

... except Taka Michinoku's elimination at Royal Rumble 2000.

[quote name='JJSP']I -think- it's on ICP's Stranglemania video. Despite it being ICP, it's not a terrible video aside from commentary (which is almost a MST3K type thing) and probably cheap to track down.[/QUOTE]

I know which match you're talking about but the King of the Deathmatch finals (the Funk/Cactus match on Stranglemania) and the Guma Deathmatch are different matches. I'm not even sure that the Guma one was videotaped at the time.

But yeah, Stranglemania is pretty funny.

[quote name='Halo05']I know which match you're talking about but the King of the Deathmatch finals (the Funk/Cactus match on Stranglemania) and the Guma Deathmatch are different matches. I'm not even sure that the Guma one was videotaped at the time.

But yeah, Stranglemania is pretty funny.[/QUOTE]

As soon as I read the word "Stranglemania" I can hear the commentators going "Drunk Terry Flunk and Cactus Sack!"

[quote name='Chase']I don't understand the context—and I wrote it. ;)

-

This week I've been going through one of my puro phases. Kept this channel open on one of my other monitors while I did some work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ClassicPuro/videos?flow=grid&view=0

When I was a kid, one Halloween I went as The Big Boss Man. Watched him in WWE then WCW then back in WWE. He never got enough love for his work. And aside from Muta, who is like a kindred spirit, I was a big fan of Misawa. There's a six man tag match in the uploads with Misawa, Boss Man, and others you'll surely recognize. I watched that first.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for Ray Traylor in that 6-man tag. My thought process went "Well, there's Dr. Death...Johnny Ace... Taiyo Kea...ooooooh...Maunakea Mossman."

No kidding. I did not need to hear Cena say Ryback was DTF.

And I noticed they edited Paul Heyman's comment so he doesn't say "old school steel cage" like he originally did. I would have loved to see the blue bar cage again.

Read about the Sandow entrance on Twitter. Did not disappoint. From there, I went to Truth-Fandango, which is a bit less amusing. So, it's time for the annual R-Truth push, huh?

Haven't been keeping up with TNA, so I hit there next. Dutt looks to have quit taking TRT or anabolic steroids or what ever he was doing before he left TNA a few years ago. Sabin is a get for TNA. I think I like where they're taking this Aces and Eights angle if they lessen their numbers. That is one area where WCW's nWo angle went wrong.

I also read about WWE dropping the yodeling part of Cesaro's gimmick. They didn't show anything of the sort in his clip with Ryder, so I dunno if that's true. But if it is, then that's a plus, I guess.

Yeah, seems like Cesaro took his few weeks of King Sheamus-ing in stride and should be back on track. Though he is going against Orton on Main Event and it seems like Orton solely exists to endlessly beat midcarders at this point.

I love that Mark Henry has pretty much become Clubber Lang. He is also one of the only guys who interacts with the crowd on a regular basis - even shitting on the "what?" chants.

It seems like they are heading towards using the Bella Twins/Cena/Daniel Bryan relationships on TV once that E! show starts. Cena's been mentioning Bryan in his promos and helped him against The Shield and the Bellas abandoned AJ during the 6 woman tag match.

Win, lose, meh.

Cesaro looked like a fucking king in that match against Kingston last week, and clearly "won" the match. Dude got people in and out of the company talking about a match on the "Main Event." At that point, I think it's hard to deny his talent and ability. He didn't win the match, but he certainly got over in a major way.

It was such a good match (really, it was) that I think he single-handedly cut short his WWE Shit Sandwich™ push (i.e., the "how much abuse and idiocy can you take and stay on the road/we're going to make sure you don't pull a Lashley on us" push).

He may not beat Orton (let's be honest, Orton is going over but also going nowhere, he's inexplicably protected), but he will look damned good in doing so.

WWE seems to agree - they were putting him over last showing highlights of a match he *lost*!

Now, Zack Ryder - well, pick him and your case is far better made.

I need to check out the match - did seem odd of them to show him ripping off Kofi's dreadlock and then not do anything with it.

I wish they would pair Orton with him in a meaningful way because the two have worked well together in the past.

Ouch.

I'm officially done with WWE '13. I can't imagine ever wanting to play that game again. The worst part is that my friends were enjoying the fact that you could take a finisher or fall off a ladder and get right back up.

[quote name='davo1224']I'm officially done with WWE '13. I can't imagine ever wanting to play that game again. The worst part is that my friends were enjoying the fact that you could take a finisher or fall off a ladder and get right back up.[/QUOTE]

John Cena fans, are they? ;)

According to WWE.com Dolph Ziggler sustained a concussion on Smackdown that involved memory loss and fatigue. When I watched his match on Raw with Del Rio it looked as if he took a harsh unplanned shot to the back of his head from Del Rio after he missed the enziguri.

[quote name='Purple Flames']...and any respect I had for him both as a wrestler and a human being has officially gone down the tubes.[/QUOTE]

You're surprised?

Luger jacket is hilarious. Reminds me of riding the school bus every day in 6th grade and driving by the donut shop, where I'd see some guy sitting in there every single morning wearing this:

7YBqORI.jpg

To my knowledge there's no screen caps of this and Jay's twitter has gone missing but...

[quote name='Jay Briscoe via Twitter']I feel very strongly about how and who should teach kids about certain things but I showed poor judgment by using that analogy and I'm sorry[/quote]

I suspect ROH will have some kind of very well worded press release about this in the next 24-48 hours. If any.

quite a crowd at the Smackdown taping

BJswQYzCYAEsjua.jpg:large

whats the point of paying to go to the WWE's B show when you know the top stars probably wont be there and nothing important will happen, show came here back in January and didn't go because the big stars there were Sheamus, Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio. Yeah not paying to see them

[quote name='Demolition Man']I suspect ROH will have some kind of very well worded press release about this in the next 24-48 hours. If any.[/QUOTE]

Doubtful. Sinclair makes Rupert Murdoch's News Corp look like Karl Marx; I suspect Jay Briscoe was promoted to an executive position in the company, and isn't active on twitter because he's being fitted at Jos. A. Bank right now.

If Briscoes want to get signed by WWE, they need to know to control their impulses. Not ideal candidates for "Be A Star," those Briscoes.

[quote name='mykevermin']Doubtful. Sinclair makes Rupert Murdoch's News Corp look like Karl Marx; I suspect Jay Briscoe was promoted to an executive position in the company, and isn't active on twitter because he's being fitted at Jos. A. Bank right now.

If Briscoes want to get signed by WWE, they need to know to control their impulses. Not ideal candidates for "Be A Star," those Briscoes.[/QUOTE]

Actually... Jay's Twitter has been deleted. So... kind of makes you wonder a bit.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Actually... Jay's Twitter has been deleted. So... kind of makes you wonder a bit.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Well that'll stop the internet from finding out what he said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back