The Yakuza 2 / Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 Thread (OUT NOW!)

Wow you guys are hardcore, lol, you crack me up...

Anyway, I too got email from GS for shipment, just need to start playing Y1 first... :p

So, what's this about Frys getting it for $25? What the hell is the MSRP for this game???

[quote name='Asgardian']Wow you guys are hardcore, lol, you crack me up...

Anyway, I too got email from GS for shipment, just need to start playing Y1 first... :p

So, what's this about Frys getting it for $25? What the hell is the MSRP for this game???[/quote]

that would be $30. Fry's most of the time has newly released titles on sale for a few bucks cheaper.

edit: This game kicks all sorts of ass. It's still just as satisfying to knee somebody's face into a wall as I remember from the first game and part of the second import.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, it took a trip to three Gamestops*, but I was finally able to snag a copy of it. Played a few minutes of it on Normal, only until Chapter 2. The fighting definitely feels like an improvement over the first game, and the storyline is excellent so far.

*-1st one (Thursday): Only received two copies, sold out.
-2nd one (Friday): Didn't receive their shipment yet.
-3rd one (Friday): I got there shortly after they received the day's shipments. They hadn't even put it out on the shelf yet. Bought it while I had the chance.

you upgrade your new moves yourself through the start menu -> "Status"

you earn upgrade levels through fighting, which you see at the top left corner of the fight screen, above your health. The same upgrade level bar is shown in the status screen. It's very Onimusha like, without all the orb collecting

I know, but I seem to be getting the same moves that the first game had. I didn't really like the "stand in a doorway and swing an ottoman" guys in chap 3. That seemed pretty cheap.

Note for PS3 players: My save file was corrupted this morning. I play on a 80GB PS3. Now, this doesn't mean it will happen to everyone, (since my system did the same thing with Persona 3 FES, a problem which did not happen to everyone with an 80gig,) but it might. Wasn't a problem in P3 because you could make more than one save file, but in Sega's infinite wisdom, they decided all your saves should be stored in one file. Luckily I was only 4 hours in, but having to re-do UFO catcher was annoying.

That's troublesome, I'm waiting to pick it up until I get more 80 GB PS3 owners to comment.

But before the corrupted save, everything else has been fine?

I'm on Chapter 5 now (
Back in Kamuro-cho
), and so far, I'm just loving the storyline.
Ryuji Goda is making for an excellent character, a perfect antagonist for Kazuma, and the conspiracy for this game gets better with each cutscene.

And I also love the QTEs you get after befriending some shopkeepers. Especially the Takoyaki stand guy in Osaka.
You get into a battle in front of his place, and he throws you a Big Octopus, which you catch with the QTE and automatically slam into the main enemy's face. It's hilarious.

I didn't really like the "stand in a doorway and swing an ottoman" guys in chap 3. That seemed pretty cheap.

[quote name='yukine']That's troublesome, I'm waiting to pick it up until I get more 80 GB PS3 owners to comment.

But before the corrupted save, everything else has been fine?[/QUOTE]
Yep. Switched over to my PS2, doesn't look as bad as I feared. I'd really like to know Kenzan and 3 are coming though :drool:

Ugh. Great, just shaq-fuing great. I finally advance through the story in Chapter 5, and my slim PS2 suddenly decided that it didn't want to easily read dual-layer (DVD9) discs anymore! Now one of three things happens:
1. After the Sega and Intro FMVs, the game just hangs at a black screen. I usually have to open the tray and close it again.
2. If it gets to the main menu, then it will pause for a while before I can select any options.
3. (This is the big one) When I load up my game and head to the story destination, after the cutscene, the game freezes completely at the following screen that tells me where my next objective is (The screen, ironically enough, says
"Head to Purgatory"
).

Well, to test my PS2's dual-layer playability I put in two other dual-layer games that I had, MGS2: Substance and Rogue Galaxy, and they booted up fine. after examining the Yakuza 2 disc itself, I noticed a clear "ring" on the bottom of it. It looks like, either due to a manufacturing defect with the disc or a problem with my slim PS2, the disc may have come in contact with the surface of the PS2's drive bay, causing the ring to form as the disc continued to spin. No other disc has done this in my PS2 in the past.

Unless anybody here knows the specific dual-layer problem points in MGS2: Substance and Rogue Galaxy (Or Gran Turismo 4, Xenosaga Epi. I, and God of War II), what I'll probably do is see if any local GSs have received any other copies of the game, and go in to exchange it, as they have that 30-day exchange period on opened new games. Hopefully, that will allow me to continue my game, without having to run out to buy a new PS2.

Just saw this: the evolution of Kazuma's suit.

I'm taking another shot at Yakuza 1 after stopping a few chapters in. The voice acting is ridiculous but I love everything else. I may just power through it and save putting hours and hours into the sidequests for Yakuza 2.

Anyway I mention the link because playing Yakuza 1 with the PS3's upscaler, I had no idea the graphics were that good. I seriously thought the first two screens were from Yakuza 3 until I scrolled down. Anyone playing 2 on a 60GB PS3? Does it look like you're playing it through a screen door?

[quote name='JEKKI']I read on gamefaqs that when you play this game you hafta play without wearing a shirt.[/quote]

:applause:

the Yakuza3 screenshot looks like he's scrunching his face a bit more than usual... :whistle2:s

even so, Yakuza was awesome, having a blast in Yakuza2 (I didn't know that I'd played the import version so far in. I haven't gotten up to where I left off in the US version yet), and most def can't wait for Kenzan and 3!

[quote name='metaly']Just saw this: the evolution of Kazuma's suit.

Anyway I mention the link because playing Yakuza 1 with the PS3's upscaler, I had no idea the graphics were that good. I seriously thought the first two screens were from Yakuza 3 until I scrolled down. Anyone playing 2 on a 60GB PS3? Does it look like you're playing it through a screen door?
[/quote]

I've played both games on my 60GB PS3, and they look about the same, far as I can see/remember.

it's a direct sequel with a number of returning characters, so playing the first part may be a good idea. But if you can't find a copy, the beginning of Yakuza2 offers a series of video flashback sequences that go over the events of the first game.

[quote name='ZipGun47']I've played both games on my 60GB PS3, and they look about the same, far as I can see/remember.[/quote]

Man. :whistle2:? What video connection/resolution did you play them with? The weird graphics distortion almost makes me want to pick up a cheap PS2.

Well, I exchanged it at GameStop. Of course, it works fine, and I was able to get past the point it would freeze at, and I played up to Chapter 6. Unfortunately, after taking it out of the PS2, I noticed a light "ring" on the data side of the disc, not as hazy as the other one, and it's still reading the data okay. I tested another, cheaper, game disc (Jak II), and after five minutes, I took it out and noticed a one-line scratch ring. So, it looks like my PS2 has decided to start scratching the discs I put in it. Right now I have it disconnected, since it may be too dangerous to put another disc in it, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Best case scenario: The lens just need some cleaning. Next: Try one of the fixes I've read about (Adjusting the lens, replacing the sponge thing, tape?) Worst Case scenario: I'll need to buy a new PS2.

EDIT: Found the scratcher. It wasn't the lens. Apparently, when the lens moved to a certain position, brown/gold wire that connected it to the motherboard arched so that it was in a position that put it in the drive bay itself. This "exposed" wire was too high, and would manage to to touch the spinning disk, causing the scratch(es). Right now, I'm moving the lens manually while gently patting the cable down, perhaps some adhesive might be necessary, but I doubt it.

I am a total noob. I only just started play the first Yakuza (since I've brought Y2 already, it's time to start 1)... anyway, I manage to get to Ch 6 already, and have enjoyed it so far, other than the combat system taking a while to get into.

I have a stupid noob question. How/where do I get/buy medals to play the slot machines?

I don't think I touched the slot machines in 1, but you should be able to get them in the same building/room. In 2 you "borrow" them by sitting down at a machine and starting to play.

Finally finished the Marietta quest, thank god someone on GameFAQs tipped me off. For anyone wondering,
after the club is at it's maximum size, getting all the girl's satisfaction to 100% will complete the quest.
Really wish the game would've told me that.

anyone else play yakuza 2 on an 80GB ps3 and get a corrupted save, i might pick it up and chance it as i really want to play this....

Put in over 10 hours on my 80GB PS3. Much more stable than Yakuza 1, which liked to freeze on me when loading fights. No crashes, no corrupt saves.

Also, being a host is bizarre, especially after watching that documentary. I'm waiting for the mission where an obsessive customer goes after a host.

[quote name='mang9432']anyone else play yakuza 2 on an 80GB ps3 and get a corrupted save, i might pick it up and chance it as i really want to play this....[/QUOTE]
Someone on GameFAQs made it all the way through with no problem. Like I said, this also happened to me with P3FES, so I think it's just my system. Lucky me :roll:

My local GameStop had Yakuza 2 unopened. I had to ask for it, I guess they hadn't had time to gut it, and put it on the shelf. I just couldn't pass it up.

Just beat it this afternoon. Great game, great final chapter. Ending would've been excellent if
I hadn't seen screens of Yakuza 3, featuring Kiryu alive and well. Then at least I would've thought it was a great ending for a minute or 2.

Beat it today after giving up in frustration last night.

The long string of battles before the final showdown is a health item eater if you're not careful. By the time I reached Ryuuji, I had a single bottle of Staminan Royale, no weapons and half a health bar. I eventually resorted to tapping square twice then using the L1 counter. This worked well enough but the damage dealt was pathetic.

So...

I loaded up my last save and geared up with a battle plan in mind. The final battle ended up being comically short. Why? The Patriarch Bat, that's why. This thing has an 80 ATK rating and deals out ridiculous damage. With full Heat I blasted through Ryuuji. By the time the bat finally broke, he was down to 25% of his last health bar. It's actually kind of unfair but it worked.

No problems using my 80GB PS3 outside of a few instances where the game told me my memory card was full. Odd, considering a second attempt at saving worked fine.

How many health items did you go in with? I had my health bar at level 9, and probably only used 3 or 4 health items. I do think I used the same weapon as you, though.

[quote name='pete5883']How many health items did you go in with? I had my health bar at level 9, and probably only used 3 or 4 health items. I do think I used the same weapon as you, though.[/QUOTE]

About 6 IIRC. Might've used 2 not including the ones I picked up, so I was a bit overstocked. Also had 2 of those stones that revive Kazuma in case of the worst case scenario. Oh, and I bought the 800k+ armor that completely guards against bullets. I'm sure I overprepared but it was the end of the game so...

man this game is sweeeeeet!

I started playing it 2 days ago... with my shirt off.

always shirtless.

I'm on chapter 2, I like how you go to the enemy's house and you're supposed to be respectful but the game dont even care if u run up in there with muddy boots on running into everybody like funk yo couch ninja!

funk yo couch ninja!!

Picked it up today! Totally psyched! Apparently, this was a limited printing. GStops in my area are only getting one copy each. The guy behind the counter was pretty pissed when I bought it.

About 30 hours into the game and the final two chapters. Really enjoying the story and characters, and glad I listened to everyone who said to pick it up. Sleeper hit of the year for me -- I was totally not expecting the game to be this great.

Now I'm looking forward to Yakuza 3 and spin-off.

Man, I need to finish up the first one...just stuck at a bar fight with no health or supplements....gotta be a way to do it. Plus I need to be better with my saves :(

Remember in the last area there are 3-4 health items laying around that you can pick up.

And yea, Patriarch Bat owns EVERYTHING... lol.

lol

Haruka: "What's wrong, Uncle Kaz?"

Me: "Oh nothing...just that I KILLED TWO FREAKIN TIGERS WITH MY BARE HANDS"

oh man that was ridiculous but epic in its own way

Been playing the original lately.

First thing I noticed was the horrible camera angles and loading. I'm usually not a stickler for these these things, but even I think it's littered with too many awkward transitions. Graphics are pretty meh, nothing is especially ugly or pretty, it's the perfect example of just getting the job done. The story and cut scenes are pretty entertaining for a game, but predictably a bit cliched. I wouldn't ever dare watch it alone, but in combination with the game it's a nice mix.

What really brings the experience together is the world and the combat, it's a lot like GTA set in Japan with a good combat system sans some other stuff.

It's a pretty nice game if you give it a chance. Is there anything about Yakuza 2 that's better? Not sure if I'd be willing to buy it if it's the same thing all over again with new story.

I'm interested in Yakuza 3 though, I really like the concept of this game at least.

Pretty sure the pre-battle loads in 2 are a lot shorter. At least they feel shorter. I think 2 has a great ending, as well.

dood this game just blew my mind

DSC04417.JPG

I think this is the correct answer?

DSC04420.JPG

since I beat Silent Hill I started playing this game again...

first of all, I almost died trying to readjust to this game's combat!!!!

other than that I think I'm on ch6 or 7 now... I cant remember...

what I can remember tho was GUYS IN DIAPERS!!

did u guys fight the diaper guys?!?!?!

freaking.hilarious.

haha I fought those guys. Beatin up on grown men in diapers. That was so weird. But man...Ryu ga Gotoku series...how I love thee...

[quote name='Zoglog']dood this game just blew my mind

I think this is the correct answer?

[/QUOTE]

I think I stuffed my banana in that chick in the first game...haha.

i gotta go back in and experience the hostess girls with my millions of yen lol. Completely skipped out on that this time around, but i did play the host role at Adam all the way through. Was hoping something would come out of that, but unfortunately nothing happened :( I also want to try running the host club, but I can't find the guy to start that quest off.

bread's done
Back