The_Continental trivia contest #6 - Marginal and greendj27 win it!

How about Lerch from the Adams faimly in 1964 and King Kong (Peter Jackson's Version)in 2005. King Kong has a large geek following as well as Adams family.

No - but another huge hint inadvertently dropped.

[quote name='bowmanarmy']How about Lerch from the Adams faimly in 1964 and King Kong (Peter Jackson's Version)in 2005. King Kong has a large geek following as well as Adams family.[/quote]

Hmmm, well, both posts that The_Continental said have big hints involve something from the Addams Family and Peter Jackson movies, so I'd guess that at least part of the answer has to do with one of those things. Doesn't really help me get any closer to an answer, but it is something for the rest of you to think about.

Ok then how about king kong and cousin it?

[quote name='The_Continental']No - but another huge hint inadvertently dropped.

[quote name='bowmanarmy']How about Lerch from the Adams faimly in 1964 and King Kong (Peter Jackson's Version)in 2005. King Kong has a large geek following as well as Adams family.[/quote][/quote]

Could it be Carolyn Jones (the actress that played Morticia Addams) and Andy Serkis (the actor behind Gollum and King Kong/Lumpy the Cook)?

Because Jones was nominated to the Academy Awards for just being on screen for 8 minutes but lost even though she received "glowing reviews." (And after being Morticia Addams she was typecast as the part). With Serkis he was ruled ineligible for a Best Supporting Actor nomination in 2003 because his character (Gollum) was computer generated. So neither one had their moment to shine?

[quote name='maddfrog']Could it be Carolyn Jones (the actress that played Morticia Addams) and Andy Serkis (the actor behind Gollum and King Kong/Lumpy the Cook)? [/quote]

But how are the names "Addams" and "Gollum" (does he even have a surname?) related? I think The Continental said the characters are the ones who never got to shine, and their surnames should be related.

Interesting.

[quote name='OneRing.net']Smeagol was born in the year 2430 to a fairly prominent family of hobbits of the Stoor strain [/quote]

So Smeagol's "surname" is Stoor.

[quote name='http://www.sitcomsonline.com/theaddamsfamily.html']
Carolyn Jones as Morticia Frump Addams[/quote]

Morticia' maiden name is Frump. As is Uncle Fester's last name.

[quote name='Project Gutenberg']
Frump. _v.a._ To trump up.
Stoor. _v. a._ and _v. n._ To stir.
[/quote]

Both surnames are verbs in the dialect of the west of England, particularly Somersetshire.

The dates are off though, it is only 41 years from the Addams Family to King Kong, not LoTR =/

EDIT: Fixed some random spelling errors.

[quote name='Backlash'][quote name='maddfrog']Could it be Carolyn Jones (the actress that played Morticia Addams) and Andy Serkis (the actor behind Gollum and King Kong/Lumpy the Cook)? [/quote]

But how are the names "Addams" and "Gollum" (does he even have a surname?) related? I think The Continental said the characters are the ones who never got to shine, and their surnames should be related.[/quote]

I was talking about King Kong or Lumpy the Cook, not Gollum. But your right about the characters never having the chance to shine. The only thing I can think off is the character Thing and King Kong or Lumpy.

[quote name='maddfrog'][quote name='Backlash'][quote name='maddfrog']Could it be Carolyn Jones (the actress that played Morticia Addams) and Andy Serkis (the actor behind Gollum and King Kong/Lumpy the Cook)? [/quote]

But how are the names "Addams" and "Gollum" (does he even have a surname?) related? I think The Continental said the characters are the ones who never got to shine, and their surnames should be related.[/quote]

I was talking about King Kong or Lumpy the Cook, not Gollum. But your right about the characters never having the chance to shine. The only thing I can think off is the character Thing and King Kong or Lumpy.[/quote]

Damn...I was seriously going to guess this whole Lumpy/Morticia Frump thing today but you had already posted it before I even got off work. I'll just throw this post in so I can tag the thread for an e-mail reply as I really want to see the answer now...

Wow - I was on vacation for about 5 days and I thought for sure someone would have gotten this while I was gone. Good to see I still have a chance.

The_Continental - can we assume that the characters are from well-known (even by our generation) TV shows/movies/etc? Or is it possibly something obscure?

Characters are very well known, although the first more than the second. The second is very recent.

[quote name='Backlash']Wow - I was on vacation for about 5 days and I thought for sure someone would have gotten this while I was gone. Good to see I still have a chance.

The_Continental - can we assume that the characters are from well-known (even by our generation) TV shows/movies/etc? Or is it possibly something obscure?[/quote]

hint: At first, I said 40 years, then I checked imdb again, and that number changed to 41 years. That is to say, - imdb changed its stats - that may be indicative of something...

Wow, this answer is awesome! save for the years thing though...

[quote name='magilacudy']Interesting.

[quote name='OneRing.net']Smeagol was born in the year 2430 to a fairly prominent family of hobbits of the Stoor strain [/quote]

So Smeagol's "surname" is Stoor.

[quote name='http://www.sitcomsonline.com/theaddamsfamily.html']
Carolyn Jones as Morticia Frump Addams[/quote]

Morticia' maiden name is Frump. As is Uncle Fester's last name.

[quote name='Project Gutenberg']
Frump. _v.a._ To trump up.
Stoor. _v. a._ and _v. n._ To stir.
[/quote]

Both surnames are verbs in the dialect of the west of England, particularly Somersetshire.

The dates are off though, it is only 41 years from the Addams Family to King Kong, not LoTR =/

EDIT: Fixed some random spelling errors.[/quote]

Uncle Fester - Adams Family - 1963

Typhoid - Elecktra - 2005

Definition of typhus (derived from typhoid) from webster:

any of various bacterial diseases caused by rickettsias: as a : a severe human febrile disease that is caused by one (Rickettsia prowazekii) transmitted especially by body lice

Fester from webster: a suppurating sore , or to cause increasing poisoning, irritation, or bitterness

Geeks would obviously care about both. Fester = male, Typhoid = female. Both were backup characters. Elektra had alot of scenes in nature.

Also, Elecktra was supposed to come out in late 2004, but instead came out early 2005. 40 -> 41.

When he said think streams, rivers, etc. I immediately thought of Carrie Fisher, but then again he said it's character names, not actor/actress names.

The first thing that came to my mind was,

River Phoenix, and Joaquin Phoenix.
I know it's wrong,... but you've inspired me to care about trivial crap for a moment.

Now I shall search the "internet", for their relationship.

BTW,........ BRING BACK YOUR CRISTOPHER WALKEN AVATAR!!!!! He's the Continental, as much as you!

[quote name='Backlash']I thought about Elektra, but none of the characters had surnames (in IMDB at least), so I kinda gave up on it.[/quote]

I believe Elektra's last name is Natchios from the comics, but that doesn't help any.

Yeah I really miss Christopher Walken.

I thought about River Phoenix, Mel Brooks (searched him for awhile), and searched imdb for a long time for creek, etc but got nowhere.

I think your math is wrong dude, 1963 --> 2005 = 42 years, not 41.

Also, I'd argue that Typhoid's surname is "Mary."

[quote name='evilmax17']Uncle Fester - Adams Family - 1963

Typhoid - Elecktra - 2005

Definition of typhus (derived from typhoid) from webster:

any of various bacterial diseases caused by rickettsias: as a : a severe human febrile disease that is caused by one (Rickettsia prowazekii) transmitted especially by body lice

Fester from webster: a suppurating sore , or to cause increasing poisoning, irritation, or bitterness

Geeks would obviously care about both. Fester = male, Typhoid = female. Both were backup characters. Elektra had alot of scenes in nature.

Also, Elecktra was supposed to come out in late 2004, but instead came out early 2005. 40 -> 41.[/quote]

Wow, I am soooo interested to know what the answer is. As always your contests are great Continental. I dont even have any decent guesses. By the way it is nice to see Walken is back.

Frank Sinatra / George Clooney
They were both Danny Ocean in Ocean's Eleven

Ocean's Eleven was released in 2001 as well as 1960 = 41 Years.

Good hint here - as film delays caused the original 40 year figure to jump to 41.

[quote name='evilmax17']
Also, Elecktra was supposed to come out in late 2004, but instead came out early 2005. 40 -> 41.[/quote]

Reading through the whole thread again, everything you need is here. I mean everything.

Please don't let Kaw win again, I almost have his mailing address memorized - I've sent so much stuff there.

Okay, well here's my guess. I'm pretty certain the first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage. He of course never got to shine because Captain Kirk apparently takes over as the usually captain. (I'm not a big Star Trek fan, so I don't know exactly what the story is there). Pike are also fish so that fits the whole river & streams thing.

The second character is a bit more of a stretch because I don't have much more time to research this right now. I believe it could be Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter & The Order Of The Pheonix. The movie is due out in 2007 (41 years from The Cage). Her last name has bridge in it so it fits with the river theme. She never gets to shine because she is the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher. I haven't read this far into the series so I don't know much about her.

Geeks would definitely be interested in both Star Trek and Harry Potter. One character is male, one is female. There's my guess.

Good job on Christopher Pike - you've got the first character ... now it's time to find the second. Your relationship between Umbridge and Pike is a bit of a stretch. The last names will be in the same category.

And man, you are CLOSE. I hope you find it before someone else does. Remember, the "not being able to shine" thing is key!

[quote name='shipwreck']Okay, well here's my guess. I'm pretty certain the first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage. He of course never got to shine because Captain Kirk apparently takes over as the usually captain. (I'm not a big Star Trek fan, so I don't know exactly what the story is there). Pike are also fish so that fits the whole river & streams thing.

The second character is a bit more of a stretch because I don't have much more time to research this right now. I believe it could be Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter & The Order Of The Pheonix. The movie is due out in 2007 (41 years from The Cage). Her last name has bridge in it so it fits with the river theme. She never gets to shine because she is the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher. I haven't read this far into the series so I don't know much about her.

Geeks would definitely be interested in both Star Trek and Harry Potter. One character is male, one is female. There's my guess.[/quote]

I'll guess

The first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage as shipwreck already revealed.

The 2nd character is Ron Weasley from Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix (due in 2007). Weasley is close to Weasel which is an animal just like Pike. And he deoesn't get to shine because he is not so good at magic sometimes and screws up the spell?

[quote name='Backlash']If anyone, it would be Ginny Weasley and Pike, not Ron. But I don't think she's the answer.[/quote]

Pike

and Vincent Crabbe from HP and the Order of the Phoenix

OK here goes nothing:

1. to quote shipwreck "I'm pretty certain the first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage. He of course never got to shine because Captain Kirk apparently takes over as the usually captain."

2. Elizabeth Swann from Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (due 2007), Kiera Knightly's character as she plays 3rd fiddle to Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, and therefore never really has a chance to shine.

almost forgot that swans and pikes can both be found in the water

thats all I got

[quote name='Backlash']The characters are of opposite genders.[/quote]

shh.... :whistle2:#

I'm surprised people have actually started guessing Pike. No need to give them anymore help. :D

Is the second character Ann Darrow from the King Kong movie being produced. She is played by Naomi Watts who never got to shine because of the ghost in The Ring??

[quote name='Wombat5277']OK here goes nothing:

1. to quote shipwreck "I'm pretty certain the first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage. He of course never got to shine because Captain Kirk apparently takes over as the usually captain."

2. Elizabeth Swann from Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (due 2007), Kiera Knightly's character as she plays 3rd fiddle to Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, and therefore never really has a chance to shine.

thats all I got[/quote]

Yeah, I thought Swann as well, but it didn't really seem to fit. She'll have been in three of these movies by 2007, so shouldn't she have "shined" by then?

bread's done
Back