The_Continental trivia contest #6 - Marginal and greendj27 win it!

My first guess:

1. Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage.

2. Lisa Turpin from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. A Turpin is a type of tortoise.

All I can say is the "not being able to shine" is VERY important. When someone gets the answer, you'll all realize why...

Remember the final answer needs to be very detailed.

Oh btw, I'm gonna improve the prize if no one gets it by Monday, so if you have the answer, you might want to gamble on not posting 'till Monday...

I guess that's quite a gamble.

Captain Christopher Pike, as previously noted...

... and Susie Salmon, the main character from The Lovely Bones, the Alice Sebold novel being directed by Peter Jackson.

???

[quote name='greendj27']Is the second character Ann Darrow from the King Kong movie being produced. She is played by Naomi Watts who never got to shine because of the ghost in The Ring??[/quote]

Ok heres my next guess then:

the second character is Susie Salmon from the movie in production called The Lovely Bones by Peter Jackson. Susie never had the opportunity to shine becuase she was murdered at the age of 14 and narrates the movie from her perspective in heaven.

Any closer or am I moving in the wrong direction?

[quote name='marginal']Captain Christopher Pike, as previously noted...

... and Susie Salmon, the main character from The Lovely Bones, the Alice Sebold novel being directed by Peter Jackson.

???[/quote]

Damn, I was posting the same thing but mine took a little longer to type. lol

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='greendj27']Is the second character Ann Darrow from the King Kong movie being produced. She is played by Naomi Watts who never got to shine because of the ghost in The Ring??[/quote]

Ok heres my next guess then:

the second character is Susie Salmon from the movie in production called The Lovely Bones by Peter Jackson. Susie never had the opportunity to shine becuase she was murdered at the age of 14 and narrates the movie from her perspective in heaven.

Any closer or am I moving in the wrong direction?[/quote]

Also, Pike and Salmon are similar in that they are both types of fish, obviously.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's probably this Susie Salmon character. Never heard of her.[/quote]

I hadn't either, but I did a search for Peter Jackson movies in production after my last guess and it popped up and seemed to fit.

[quote name='Backlash']It can't be The Lovely Bones - the years are wrong.[/quote]

Why? Imdb.com lists it as coming out in 2007. $1 years after the 1966 Star Trek movie.

The question didn't say "movie character" - it said "screen character."

[quote name='Backlash']The Cage is actually the original (failed) pilot for Star Trek. It wasn't a movie - and it was from 1964, not 1966. At least, that's what my Googling showed. I had never heard of it before.[/quote]

I've said it many times over the course of this thread.

The final answer must be complete, and detailed, answering all aspects of the question.

As yet, that has not been posted.

greendj27, I'm gonna feel awful if you don't post it first - but like I've said - complete and detailed.

[quote name='The_Continental']I've said it many times over the course of this thread.

The final answer must be complete, and detailed, answering all aspects of the question.

As yet, that has not been posted.

greendj27, I'm gonna feel awful if you don't post it first - but like I've said - complete and detailed.[/quote]

Go ahead greendj27, I already have this game anyway.

The first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage. He of course never got to shine because Captain Kirk takes over.

The second character is Susie Salmon, the main character from The Lovely Bones, the Alice Sebold novel being directed by Peter Jackson. She never got to shine because she was murdered at 14.

[quote name='marginal']The first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage. He of course never got to shine because Captain Kirk takes over.

The second character is Susie Salmon, the main character from The Lovely Bones, the Alice Sebold novel being directed by Peter Jackson. She never got to shine because she was murdered at 14.[/quote]

Lol, that was so wrong.

[quote name='marginal']The first character is Captain Christopher Pike from the 1966 Star Trek movie The Cage. He of course never got to shine because Captain Kirk takes over.

The second character is Susie Salmon, the main character from The Lovely Bones, the Alice Sebold novel being directed by Peter Jackson. She never got to shine because she was murdered at 14.[/quote]

And the lurker endears himself to everyone here at CAG. Second post in 2 years. :D

[quote name='marginal']Why wrong? I was the first one to come up with Susie Salmon...[/quote]

We were just rooting for greendj, that's all. Lot harder to come up with name number 1 than it is to come up with name number 2.

The two characters are Christopher Pike from Star Trek The Cage and Susie Salmon from The Lovely Bones. Geeks would care for both because Pike was the first captain of the enterprise on Star Trek and the because the director of the Lovely Bones is Peter Jackson who also made the Lord of the Rings movies.

Pike never had the chance to shine because Captain Kirk took over after the pilot episode and Susie never had the chance to shine because she was murdered and narrates the movie from heaven. TH Star Trek movie came out in 1966 and The Lovely Bones comes out in 2007. Both characters surnames are types of fish which live in streams and rivers.

Did I miss any questions that still need to be answered?

[quote name='mbstuff'][quote name='marginal']Why wrong? I was the first one to come up with Susie Salmon...[/quote]

We were just rooting for greendj, that's all. Lot harder to come up with name number 1 than it is to come up with name number 2.[/quote]

Shouldn't you have been rooting for me then? :lol:

[quote name='greendj27']Damn, it took too long to type all that shit. I wanted to be thorough!![/quote]

I think you'll win out. You answered all the questions in detail.

[quote name='shipwreck']
Shouldn't you have been rooting for me then? :lol:[/quote]

Oh shoot, you're right. I should have directed my mojo against the field so the prize could have been upgraded Monday for you.

Marginal,

A free sealed copy of KUF: Crusaders for the xbox is yours. Congratulations!

Just shoot me a pm telling me where you want the game sent.

Stay tuned for the next round of useless trivia - I'm thinking Donkey Konga w/ drums will be up for grabs.

donkeykonga.jpg

I agree... but in that case, why not root for shipwreck? He came up with the first name.

I don't really care if I win or not... but it's not like I was just sitting around, waiting for someone else to figure it out and pounce on it. Today was the first time I've ever seen one of these threads, and I thought it would be fun. Turned out I was just a brief step ahead of greendj. And the original post doesn't say that you have to explain how EVERY hint applies to the answer.

[quote name='mbstuff'][quote name='marginal']Why wrong? I was the first one to come up with Susie Salmon...[/quote]

We were just rooting for greendj, that's all. Lot harder to come up with name number 1 than it is to come up with name number 2.[/quote]

So can we ring the cowbell on this one and declare greendj the winner?

Edit, damn, I guess not. Passes hat around to buy greendj a $10 gift certificate to Sears so he can buy KUF.

greendj - it's only fair that you win something too - shoot me a pm with an address and you'll get a free game too.. probably one better than KUF, since the real work was in getting Pike.

Nice work buddy, you earned it.

oh yeah - that was you, oops!

[quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='mbstuff'][quote name='marginal']Why wrong? I was the first one to come up with Susie Salmon...[/quote]

Shouldn't you have been rooting for me then? :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='The_Continental']Marginal,

Stay tuned for the next round of useless trivia - just I'm thinking Donkey Konga w/ drums will be up for grabs.
[/quote]

Now that would be sweet. (Hell I don't even own an Xbox :) )

Continental--

That was actually quite fun. Good job on this... I'll have to watch for your contests in the future.

BTW, that is the coolest, most hypnotic avatar around.

[quote name='The_Continental']greendj27, I'm gonna feel awful if you don't post it first - but like I've said - complete and detailed.[/quote]

That's what threw me off from thinking greendj got Pike and not shipwreck.

Okay, I'm officially calling Marginal and greendj27 as winners here.

Marginal gets KUF, and greendj27 gets a game TBD between me and him.

Anything you're interested in particularly, greendj?

[quote name='The_Continental']Okay, I'm officially calling Marginal and greendj27 as winners here.

Anything you're interested in particularly, greendj?[/quote]

Good call. Can't wait until the next contest.

[quote name='The_Continental']OH btw, I totally thought more people here would have read The Lovely Bones - it was a bestseller for a lot of months.[/quote]

Maybe I'll check out the audio book. I commute 3 hours a day, so I'm always looking for good books.

[quote name='The_Continental']Okay, I'm officially calling Marginal and greendj27 as winners here.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll decline. Marginal beat me to it fair and square. I'll just type faster next time. Thanks though.

It's your call...

Honestly, I didn't predict that the end of this contest would turn into such a clusterfuck. Sorry about that.

I guess I'm too used to Kaw winning these things, and that dude posts paragraphs for his answers. No one is more thorough than him.

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='The_Continental']Okay, I'm officially calling Marginal and greendj27 as winners here.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll decline. Marginal beat me to it fair and square. I'll just type faster next time. Thanks though.[/quote]

bread's done
Back