Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I know thats gotta be the best haul ever, I came to this thread with my head held high because I found a regular xbox in pristine condition (looks straight out of the box) for 10 dollars...and when I pressed the big button to turn it on, it opened up and I was surprised with KOTOR in the disk tray whoot![/QUOTE]

Oh I wondered where my copy of KOTOR went... You better send it my way:cool:... lol

I managed to grab Golden Eye, Mario 64, Starfox 64, and Pokemon Stadium for 2.99 a piece at goodwill on thursday. I'm happy with that haul, they were hiding next to a toaster lol I think with goodwill you just gotta look everywhere in the store cause it very unorganized. They also had a gameboy transfer pack for $5 but I didn't think it was worth it.

Dunno if this belongs here. But went to a library book sale. Picked up 48 books for $5.00. Probably a small handful of books I will read, the others I will donate back to the library for their next book sale. :p

And I want to see pics of that ps3/360 haul.

Nothing too special lately... they hired a new fella who runs the book/cd/game/etc area and since then the selection has been pretty bad so I'm wondering if he snags alot of the good stuff. Stopped by today though and managed to get Command & Conquer and the original Road Rash for PS1 for $6.XX, not too bad. There were a bunch of sealed PC games they had there which looked to be donations from the local gamestop(they all had GS price stickers at $0.01), nothing too special though... lots of add-ons, everquest games, etc.

was bored so i decided to take pics of every item ive gotten from Goodwill that i still have, not pictured is 3 wiimotes and Fear2 for PS3.

CIMG0547.jpg

CIMG0548.jpg

CIMG0552.jpg

I see Goodwill likes to put anything that has value (video game stuff, of course) on shopgoodwill.com* now? I've looked that site over and I always see familiar EBAY faces using it. Kinda takes the "Thrift" name away from the whole experience like that. Sounds more like "Profit store" or "Profitwill" or "BADwill" or "profit off of other peoples kindness-will". :D

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']I see Goodwill likes to put anything that has value (video game stuff, of course) on goodwillSHOP.com now? I've looked that site over and I always see familiar EBAY faces using it. Kinda takes the "Thrift" name away from the whole experience like that. Sounds more like "Profit store" or "Profitwill" or "BADwill".[/QUOTE]

Yes they certainly do. Non-Profit doesn't mean no profit. Goodwill uses their revenues to help fund their programs which include education and job training for the handicapped or disadvantaged.

Yeah, it kind of sucks that they do this now, but that's capitalism for ya. I'd rather see Goodwill making the profit than the usual fatwallet and slickdeal types that don't work and spend all their free time hoarding closeouts, discounts, deals, and thrift stores to flip on eBay.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']I see Goodwill likes to put anything that has value (video game stuff, of course) on shopgoodwill.com* now? I've looked that site over and I always see familiar EBAY faces using it. Kinda takes the "Thrift" name away from the whole experience like that. Sounds more like "Profit store" or "Profitwill" or "BADwill" or "profit off of other peoples kindness-will". :D[/QUOTE]

But isn't the main reason many of you buy stuff from Goodwill and Craigslist is to turn around and flip it to make money for yourselves?

If so, pot meet kettle.

I'll admit, I'm a hypocrite at times, but to piss and moan about a charity trying to make the most on the donations they take in is a tad selfish, no?

Don't get me wrong, I bitch about them overpricing shit because I want the items to USE, but for a few bucks more I could buy most of them NEW at a regular retail shop.

I picked up a Sega Genesis 2, Sonic 2 and 2 controllers (one 3 button, one 6 button) for $20 at the Goodwill. I know I overpaid, but it's in incredible condition and I've been looking for a Genesis forever.

[quote name='orcafan8']today at a Salvation Army Boutique store? (idk i think it just means we charge more)
Gamecube
Soul Calibur II (CIB)
...Also in that box Gameboy Player Start-up disk
despite her saying 5.50, when it rang up it was $4.12.[/QUOTE]

funny story...

went to the SA family store (right next to the boutique) today and saw another Soul Calibur II for GC behind the counter. Asked to see it... lo and behold it was another 2fer, except this time it was...

Soul Calibur II (CIB)
Zelda Promotional Disc (disc only)

All for a grand total of 2.99 :whee:

Greatest Hits Tomb Raider 2 for PS1- $4. no scratches on the disc, no cracks in cd case, booklet/artwork/ even registration card in perfect condition.

[quote name='juangrande386']Greatest Hits Tomb Raider 2 for PS1- $4. no scratches on the disc, no cracks in cd case, booklet/artwork/ even registration card in perfect condition.[/QUOTE]

My favorite Tomb Raider! i love that game.

i saw Tony Hawk Ride brand new for wii today at my goodwill ($70, lolz). also saw one of those 20-in-1 wii packs (minus wiimotes of course) for quite a bit. hope i didnt miss a wii, but at those prices it might notve been such a bad deal

Man I wish the thrift stores around here had some of the stuff you guys have been finding. Last time I went all they had for videogames was a dirty old Gameboy (original brick version), and a three pack of N64 games with some gems in it like some kind of Rugrats game, and some kind of generic puzzle game.

Btw PopcornBandit, nice pic from Thriller: A Cruel Picture. One of my favorite exploitation films.

I went to Goodwill today and what do I see sitting in the case at the front?
Chrono Trigger... for $1.95...

piccyfix1265776510chron.jpg

Just to show ya, GOODWILL IS CREDIT TO TEAM! :D

[quote name='J7.']Wow. Last time I was at Goodwill they were trying to sell crap Genesis games for $9.99[/QUOTE]
Same here.

I really wish I could catch a good deal at my Goodwill like OP.

Congrats on the find, OP!

My goodwill has games... 2.99 is the price, unless you go on the middle wednesday of the month. Then everything in the store is 1/2 off.

Can't say I have snagged any rare games, but my buys include:

PC:
Republic
Sum of All Fears
Medal of Honor Chest

PS2:
Grand Theft Auto Vice City

each for 1.50.

Can't complaint.

I've snagged some rare CDs there though. 1 dollar is the price or 50 cents on that special wednesday.

Thats awesome. I go to about 5 different GW's and sometimes I find deals like this. There were a couple times they taped together 5 or 6 N64 games and put a price of $6 on it. 4 of the games were Mario games, so that was a win for me. Also look in the CD section of these stores. Sometimes they mix in PS1 or Dreamcast games with all the CD's, I have found a few that way too.

Nice find! My Goodwill has games, and I've found quite a few rarities, but never any real good rarities... it's always rare pc games and such like Quest for Glory Anthology. I did get a CIB Mr. Do! and some other AAA snes games once though.

The last time I went to Salvation Army, I picked up GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64 and Super Mario Land for $1.99 each. I remember the day me and my grandma went to Meijer and bought GoldenEye after it just came out for 59.99.

I rarely drop by Goodwill anymore. The store nearest to me almost never has games. It's been that way for years. The one I got most of my finds has also dried up. I got most of my Genesis and NES collection from that store over the years.

this was a nice find but please dont post anymore finds in here people. Thrift Store thread already exists, i cant believe how many of you dont know this and keep posting finds

[quote name='juangrande386']this was a nice find but please dont post anymore finds in here people. Thrift Store thread already exists, i cant believe how many of you dont know this and keep posting finds[/QUOTE]

The collector in me wants those Kill Bill Vinyls.. but after seeing new prices on Amazon, there's no way I could justify that.

personally i dont know if anyone could ever beat the best thing i ever found at a goodwill store.... it probally was a good 25 + years ago... anyone remember those electric football games.. Well my grand parents took me down looking for a set of golf clubs and i saw this sitting on the shefl for a few bucks...I begged them to buy it for me (they had one but wouldnt let us touch it) so my grandfather finally said they would buy it .... picked up the box and started carrying it up to pay for it , but then my grandfather goes did you check to make sure all of the pieces are inside...

So i put down the box and open up the end AND ...........................................................................

Out jump this big ass spider (bigger then the little people in the box... i would have to say the thing was about the size of a small Cat toy.... people starting screaming as the thing ran across the floor to the other side of the room ... the workers then came out and started asking what was going on... They took a broom under the shelf it went under and it came flying out of there back to the other side and went into this big pile of boxes... never saw it again..

long story short we didnt buy the football game (they said it could of laid eggs in the item and my grandfahter said there was no way in hell he was going to have a family of spiders living in his house

LOL

[quote name='Scorch']The collector in me wants those Kill Bill Vinyls.. but after seeing new prices on Amazon, there's no way I could justify that.[/QUOTE]

I was just going to say those would be insane to have, and yeah... They're way too expensive. He definitely got a deal.

While Goodwill is VERY hit and miss, last time I stopped in (there is a Goodwill across the street from my car dealer, I usually stop in when getting my car serviced) I found copies of Parasite Eve & Intelligent Cube (PS1) Mint for $4 a pop. :)

Wow nice story, I don't know if its possible for that to happen with spiders but it definitely is with roaches so you want to be careful what you pick up.

The only one similar I remember is going to a rummage sale at a place similar to the american legion and there were these huge beetles or roaches, I don't know exactly what they were, running around the floor of the lobby where I was sitting. I quickly went back into the rummage area to tell my parents we needed to get out of there fast for obvious reasons.

They also serve fish fry's at this place so ummm yeah, I am never ever eating there!

On probably more than 30 visits, the only things I ever found was an $80 new DS Lite with no charger and a $2 SNES Final Fantasy 2.

Very hit or miss.

[quote name='slidecage']personally i dont know if anyone could ever beat the best thing i ever found at a goodwill store.... it probally was a good 25 + years ago... anyone remember those electric football games.. Well my grand parents took me down looking for a set of golf clubs and i saw this sitting on the shefl for a few bucks...I begged them to buy it for me (they had one but wouldnt let us touch it) so my grandfather finally said they would buy it .... picked up the box and started carrying it up to pay for it , but then my grandfather goes did you check to make sure all of the pieces are inside...

So i put down the box and open up the end AND ...........................................................................

Out jump this big ass spider (bigger then the little people in the box... i would have to say the thing was about the size of a small Cat toy.... people starting screaming as the thing ran across the floor to the other side of the room ... the workers then came out and started asking what was going on... They took a broom under the shelf it went under and it came flying out of there back to the other side and went into this big pile of boxes... never saw it again..

long story short we didnt buy the football game (they said it could of laid eggs in the item and my grandfahter said there was no way in hell he was going to have a family of spiders living in his house

LOL[/QUOTE]
Holy shit slidecage you're over 25?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back