Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='slidecage']personally i dont know if anyone could ever beat the best thing i ever found at a goodwill store.... it probally was a good 25 + years ago... anyone remember those electric football games.. Well my grand parents took me down looking for a set of golf clubs and i saw this sitting on the shefl for a few bucks...I begged them to buy it for me (they had one but wouldnt let us touch it) so my grandfather finally said they would buy it .... picked up the box and started carrying it up to pay for it , but then my grandfather goes did you check to make sure all of the pieces are inside...

So i put down the box and open up the end AND ...........................................................................

Out jump this big ass spider (bigger then the little people in the box... i would have to say the thing was about the size of a small Cat toy.... people starting screaming as the thing ran across the floor to the other side of the room ... the workers then came out and started asking what was going on... They took a broom under the shelf it went under and it came flying out of there back to the other side and went into this big pile of boxes... never saw it again..

long story short we didnt buy the football game (they said it could of laid eggs in the item and my grandfahter said there was no way in hell he was going to have a family of spiders living in his house

LOL[/QUOTE]

I sat down on one of those old style school desks(with the metal frame and the writing surface that flipped up, I think) and out from underneath said writing surface all of these tiny red spiders started crawling.

There had to be about 50-75 of them swarming up on top of the desk by the time I jumped up.

Ever since then I usually check before I sit down to try out anything at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Another time my one buddy sold me his old NES system(he and each of his sisters and brothers all had one each). So I get it home, open it up to clean the contacts and everything and I saw dead bugs inside the system. Luckily there were no LIVE bugs in there.

[quote name='Scorch']The collector in me wants those Kill Bill Vinyls.. but after seeing new prices on Amazon, there's no way I could justify that.[/QUOTE]

I was shocked at the Amazon list prices too and I seriously got lucky on my Goodwill find!

I decided to go back last night and I didn't find anything as cool as the Kill Bill Vinyls but I picked up another Playstation game I didn't have
DSC04003.jpg

$1.99

saw mario bros 1 for $4 and a zapper for $3, i think someone already got the system cause them 2 items where there yesterday too

[quote name='J7.']Holy shit slidecage you're over 25?[/QUOTE]Why do you care? Are only 14 year olds entitled to go on the internet? :roll:

Anyways, Goodwill is awesome you just sometimes get nothing one day and something good the next week or two. :D

[quote name='MYFIREMANISHUGE']Why do you care? Are only 14 year olds entitled to go on the internet? :roll:

Anyways, Goodwill is awesome you just sometimes get nothing one day and something good the next week or two. :D[/QUOTE]

Easy killer... Until you've been around here long enough I don't think you have room to act like this.

Nice Score OP, And spiders suck.

just found this 2010 thread, i did ok at the goodwill today

Mike Tyson's Punch-out NES $4
Gameboy Advance in good condition with Cruis'n Velocity game in it $5
Wavebird gamecube controller without receiver $3 (works fine but it's worn)

at my local goodwill tonight, i found the following NES games with dust covers and like new labels ($2 each):

Metroid
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario. Bro. 2
King's Knight
TMNT
TMNT2
Star Voyager
R.C. Pro-Am
To the Earth

[quote name='juangrande386']bumping this to get it above the 2009 thread that morons keep bumping[/QUOTE]
I'm not a moron, you're a moron.

Re-post from the other thread WHICH I DID NOT BUMP:

Kinda-dirty Nintendo 64 with:

2 first-party controllers (1 in horrible condition)
2 third-party controllers
Power Adaptor
AV cables
Mickey's Speedway USA (Game only)
Rumble Pak
Controller Pak
All for $5.

Silver Dualshock 2- $1
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation VHS- 75 cents

[quote name='juangrande386']bumping this to get it above the 2009 thread that morons keep bumping[/QUOTE]

Again, why do you care where people post? You got pissed off when someone posted a find(Chrono Trigger for SNES for $2, I believe) they thought was substantial enough to warrant an individual thread in the Deals/Shopping Discussion/Bragging forum.

Now you're calling people morons for posting in the old thread.:roll:

Way to ingratiate yourself to people on here. Before you know it, you'll have taken MY title for being the most charming and friendly CAG on here.:lol:

As for me, I picked up a DVD(at the still somewhat overinflated $4.99 price)yesterday.

Disney's Recess: All Growed Down-$4.99

What was funny was it had the instruction manual for an Xbox game under the little cardboard insert in the case for the movie.

Got Aladdin for sega genesis, complete in excellent condition for $1.50 at goodwill today. Not worth a lot but a fun game in great condition for $1.50. They had an nes that was nice with 2 controllers and a zapper for $60! Tomorrows half off day though so I might grab it for $30

[quote name='juangrande386']Your Goodwill had a NES for $60!!??? That stuff would be like $20 most at mine.[/QUOTE]

My Value Village sells them for $100. The untested, no controllers and no cables ones are 30$.

I only saw a NES once at the thrift stores here recently. It was just the console with a RF adapter, no controllers and no AC adapter for $13.

I'm still searching for an Atari of any kind. I haven't seen them here, yet.

instead of calling people morons, how about messaging a mod and asking for the 2009 thread to be locked, it would take just as much effort.

my goodwill had 2 new tony hawk ride for ps3 but they wanted $80 for em, still too much for me, i really only want it cuz i've skated for years and collet skate stuff, there's now way the game play can be better than Skate.

[quote name='MYFIREMANISHUGE']Why do you care? Are only 14 year olds entitled to go on the internet? :roll:

Anyways, Goodwill is awesome you just sometimes get nothing one day and something good the next week or two. :D[/QUOTE]

You're thinking the opposite of what I was posting. I'm just surprised is all. I thought he was a young teen based on the types of games he posts about. No offense slidecage, I just find your taste in games a little unusual.

missed it the first time, good thing i walked around. pokemon gold cartridge only hiding in the vhs tapes. $3. save has tons of rare candies, master balls, and lvl 100 pokemon.

darkslime what are you mumbling about, not sure why you think I'm trying to be TOUGH. if my comment were mean-spirited i'd have told him to fuck off.

not Goodwill for once- went to the used game store i never go to anymore (sister was getting a haircut next door). got BattleClash and Metal Combat Falcons Revenge for $1 apiece and Super Turrican for $8.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Personally, if I ever had a big score at any of the overpriced thrift stores in my area, I'd want it to stand out and not get lost in the thrift store mega thread.[/QUOTE]

No. It should go in the thrift store mega thread. Otherwise we'd have ton of threads around here named "greatest thrift store find ever" with the find probably being the ubber common "Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt" combo cart that got scored for 25 cents.

Picked up a minty fresh Super Gameboy in the box with all the paperwork and the guide for $7. Also had a Tetris cart still plugged in. The box inside has some cardboard tears, but overall - great!

I found an Intec PS2 dance pad at Goodwill for $4. They had a 2nd one which I passed one but I kinda wish I would have gotten it too. DDR is much more fun with 2 pads.

[quote name='Cambot']Thrift store find today:

[/QUOTE]

LOL I can't even find US versions of Genesis games and you're finding Japanese ones.:lol:

Good find though, depending on how much you paid for each and if they're complete.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I can't even find US versions of Genesis games and you're finding Japanese ones.:lol:

Good find though, depending on how much you paid for each and if they're complete.[/QUOTE]

They're all complete and I paid about $50 for all of them. They priced them a little higher than usual, but i don't know if it's because they knew they were rare or if it was just random pricing due to someone not even knowing what they were. People pay a lot more than that, I know.

I haven't been going to any thrift stores as of late, but made off pretty well this time.

2010021874742.jpg

Because my actual camera isn't working I used a webcam for the shot so it's pretty blurry and washed out.

Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Metal Gear Solid 1: VR Missions

Total amount spent 27 dollars. All the PS3 games were listed at 5 dollars each which was pretty magical in it's own right. Usually when a PS3 game or 360 game shows up it's a Madden game for 30 dollars. And VR missions was in the CD section so it was 1.99 just like all the other CDs.

Good deals!

[quote name='ohram']I haven't been going to any thrift stores as of late, but made off pretty well this time.

Because my actual camera isn't working I used a webcam for the shot so it's pretty blurry and washed out.

Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk

Total amount spent 27 dollars. All the PS3 games were listed at 5 dollars each which was pretty magical in it's own right. Usually when a PS3 game or 360 game shows up it's a Madden game for 30 dollars. And VR missions was in the CD section so it was 1.99 just like all the other CDs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ohram']I haven't been going to any thrift stores as of late, but made off pretty well this time.

2010021874742.jpg

Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk

Total amount spent 27 dollars. All the PS3 games were listed at 5 dollars each which was pretty magical in it's own right. Usually when a PS3 game or 360 game shows up it's a Madden game for 30 dollars. And VR missions was in the CD section so it was 1.99 just like all the other CDs.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had a magical thrift store like that, but around here they would price PS3 games at $30 each probably.

Had some epic finds at thrift stores this week:

:360: CoD: MW2 - $5
Dreamcast - Marvel Vs Capcom 2 $2
Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure $2
Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure 2 $2
Dreamcast - Street Fighter 3: Double Impact $2
Gameshark for Nintendo 64 $2

I haven't gone to Goodwill since I was probably like 8, and that was because they had some bigass Halloween Scythes for sale their. (Hey, I was a kid! Cmon!)

Nice deal though!

I once found a copy of Snatcher for Sega CD. My joy could not be contained.

Until I saw the case was empty. Someone likely stole the disc out of the case rather than pay the $2.99 for a mint, complete copy. I almost made a scene when I opened it and it was empty. They let me keep the case, though.

I'm getting sick of goodwill....first their ebay-esque "shopgoodwill" site comes out....now all the stores around me who are SUPPOSED to have set prices on EVERYTHING in the store (there is a huge sign with prices for every type of item, plus a flyer with prices you can take home) are all selling stuff for whatever they want....like Michael Jackson records for $50 and common atari games for $5 when they should be 0.50 cents according to their price chart.

yeah and before you start with the "oh but they are raising money for a good cause" argument, remember that the manager of the store is the one who changes the prices and the manager also earns commision on anything they sell.......plus I doubt half the people going in there to buy a pair of jeans for $1 can really afford to start paying outrageous prices for things because the manager thinks "they go for that much on ebay" give me a break with this "its worth that much on ebay" garbage - I'm so tired of hearing that EVERYWHERE

I have not had great luck with video games at Goodwill but I get score a M$ natural keyboard for 2 bucks and a Sandisk Mp3 player for 8 bucks a few days ago.

[quote name='crows in black']plus I doubt half the people going in there to buy a pair of jeans for $1 can really afford to start paying outrageous prices for things because the manager thinks "they go for that much on ebay" give me a break with this "its worth that much on ebay" garbage - I'm so tired of hearing that EVERYWHERE[/QUOTE]

You would be shocked at how many people have made livings off of selling things they find in thrift stores for cheap then turn around and sell it for huge profits on eBay. So in a way you can't fault a thrift store if they know they can sell it for a higher price from doing so. I don't fully like it either but it is what it is.

[quote name='crows in black']I'm getting sick of goodwill....first their ebay-esque "shopgoodwill" site comes out....now all the stores around me who are SUPPOSED to have set prices on EVERYTHING in the store (there is a huge sign with prices for every type of item, plus a flyer with prices you can take home) are all selling stuff for whatever they want....like Michael Jackson records for $50 and common atari games for $5 when they should be 0.50 cents according to their price chart.

yeah and before you start with the "oh but they are raising money for a good cause" argument, remember that the manager of the store is the one who changes the prices and the manager also earns commision on anything they sell.......plus I doubt half the people going in there to buy a pair of jeans for $1 can really afford to start paying outrageous prices for things because the manager thinks "they go for that much on ebay" give me a break with this "its worth that much on ebay" garbage - I'm so tired of hearing that EVERYWHERE[/QUOTE]

Isn't Goodwill supposed to be for people who can't afford to shop at normal stores? That's too bad.

Goodwill prices are set by the corporate offices but each Goodwill is different... Depends on your state and region... I worked for them and still do... I was working at 2 million dollar store and we got in so many videogames it was unreal.... mind you most were xbox/ps2/gamecube generation but still worth it... tons of wii accesories and whatnot.

As for the profit stuff it on depends on the people pricing the stuff...... If your like me you think how much would people buy this for? I usually dont ever go over 5 bucs hell i bundled an xbox with 10 games for 25 bucs :p sold it as soon as I got out on the floor with it.... Goodwill's mission statement is taking the money and putting into programs for the unemployed and special needs people... Do they do it? who knows :p Evil corporations are evil corporations....

Still though you can find some cool games there.... I once had the normal nes fully boxed brand new and a brand new super mario brothers 3, and other brand new nes games... what happened to them? Opened the boxes and sold them out of package and sold them for 5 bucs :p go figure...

Definitely the most interesting Goodwill trip I've had in a while. Which is not to say this was a goldmine, either. They had three complete Game Gear games, nothing really worthwhile but it was just cool to see them. There was a Sonic Chaos that was pretty much still sealed, and had a $34.99 price tag from KMart on it. There was also a PSX that I definitely stopped and looked at, but the lid didn't want to stay closed. There was no price on it and I probably could have gotten it for virtually nothing if I tried.

In the case up front was a copy of Pool of Radience: Ruins of Myth Drannor, and there was an N64 cart under it, I couldn't tell exactly what it was other than an NFL game. Also, just lying on the counter were a bunch of sealed PC games; a while ago they had an absolute truckload of sealed games from Best Buy for $5 each. I didn't look through them this time, but lying on top was a copy of Double Agent.

Nothing incredibly exciting, but I did manage to find a purple GBA with a price tag of one dollar. Granted, I don't own any Game Boy games, but...freakin' it was a dollar. And, as an added bonus, it actually works.

this is getting away from the original point of this thread. Everyone please post in the Thrift Store MegaThread unless your saying something about the TCs Chrono Trigger find

I found a

NES-------------------------$10 ( came with a Official Nintendo Zapper but no Normal Controller :(
Mario Bros./Duck Hunt----$1
1943 Battle of Midwat-----$1
Bionic Commando---------$1
Dream Master-------------$1
Tengen Pac-Man----------$1
Fruits Basket 2 ep.--------$.50
Test Drive 5 PS1 ---------$2.00

Sub Total-----------------$17.50
Military Discount---------$-$5.00
Coupon ($2 off $10)----$-$2.00

Total ----------------------$10.50

=One happy CAG :D

Pictures:
4374306145_45bbb0b564_m.jpg

4375057366_9ee134afc3_m.jpg

4375056946_86c7872580_m.jpg

4374304793_912a73a21c_m.jpg

4375056080_cd1817fb61_m.jpg

4375055642_cb149ec70a_m.jpg

4374303471_978249bb1e_m.jpg

[quote name='ninja dog']Hit up salvation army today and just found 2 copies of this crap game for $.50 a piece. might make some nice coasters, I guess.

N0ZvI.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='ninja dog']Hit up salvation army today and just found 2 copies of this crap game for $.50 a piece. might make some nice coasters, I guess.

N0ZvI.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Seems like after that lady sold hers for 13k I've been seeing ebay listings and more people having this show up. I thought there were only a handful of US versions went out.

And lol @ the difference between the two. One must be bootleg or imported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back