Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I have said something before when people either leave their kids screaming their heads off or hit them to get them to be quiet. You had the 'fun' to make the kids, but once they're out they're just a hassle to you, so don't have kids if you don't wanna take care of them the right way.

I stopped in the newest Goodwill to open in my area today and I found a 4 pack of books from the one publishing company. They had copyright stamps in them from 1890, 1894, 1900 and 1932.

They were reproductions of certain stories and I have the distinct feeling they were legitimately 120 years old.

The price for all four: $2.99

But seeing as how I didn't know whether or not they would sell quickly if I listed them someplace I decided not to get them.

I've learned my lesson since that copy of the Transformers 1986 movie soundtrack that I paid $4 for that unless it's something I intend on using I'm better off NOT buying it.

Picked up a brand new in the box Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player for $45 at my Salvation Army. I mean seriously the box prior to me checking to make sure everything was in there had never been opened once. Heck of a deal for $45. Meanwhile the same store had a used SNES with 2 controllers and no games for $50. My gut suspicion is that they'll eventually will take an offer on it at a much lower price just to get it out the door. This same SA had a Dreamcast with several games sit and sit for months on end for $40 before they finally dropped it to $20 when it finally sold.

Picked up the following:
Chrono Trigger - 3.99
Harvest Moon 64 - 3.99
Asciiware controller - 2.99
Secret of Evermore - 3.99

Not in the picture
Zelda Gold Cartridge N64 - 1.09

photo26.jpg

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I stopped in the newest Goodwill to open in my area today and I found a 4 pack of books from the one publishing company. They had copyright stamps in them from 1890, 1894, 1900 and 1932.

They were reproductions of certain stories and I have the distinct feeling they were legitimately 120 years old.

But seeing as how I didn't know whether or not they would sell quickly if I listed them someplace I decided not to get them.

I've learned my lesson since that copy of the Transformers 1986 movie soundtrack that I paid $4 for that unless it's something I intend on using I'm better off NOT buying it.[/QUOTE]

How could they be 120 years old when one was copyrighted less than 80 years ago?

I saw a Palm m505 at the Goodwill for $5, really nice condition and complete in the box. I wanted to play with it but the battery was dead and I really had no reason to buy it other than just because. I did get a copy of The Lovely Bones for $1 and a really cool first edition Shining that looks like it's never even been opened. Really hope I can get the freakin' crayon off the spine. I bought a shirt which made me realize I'm too fat for a medium and too skinny for a large. Great.

Also saw my 10th grade history teacher, a bit skinnier and now with a goatee, so maybe it was his evil twin.

Edit: And there was an old guy picking up dolls and looking up their dresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yourlefthand']How could they be 120 years old when one was copyrighted less than 80 years ago?[/QUOTE]
How did I know someone would point this out? I grouped them all together and used the 120 yrs old to describe them all instead of just saying the oldest was copyrighted 1880(hence 120+ years old).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I stopped in the newest Goodwill to open in my area today and I found a 4 pack of books from the one publishing company. They had copyright stamps in them from 1890, 1894, 1900 and 1932.

I've learned my lesson since that copy of the Transformers 1986 movie soundtrack that I paid $4 for that unless it's something I intend on using I'm better off NOT buying it.[/QUOTE]

Old books are the sort of thing you don't want to fool with unless you do your research. There's a ton of books from the 1900s to 1920s on Amazon that sit at the 4 million sales rank and have low sales values--many people will just buy the reprints or the kindle editions.

Anyhow, you might want to do a google search on "antiquarian books" or head over to places like abebooks to check up on the values of the 1890, 1894 editions. I know offhand that certain early editions of the Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, and Charles Dickens works can be worth a sizable amount of cash, but I'd figure one would have to plug them into a specialized collector's market in order to make the sale.

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?author=frank+l+baum&title=&keyisbn=&rare_books=on

Here's a useful website for searching rarities (turned up many Frank L. Baum titles, i.e. The Emerald City of Oz--it would be nearly impossible to get a accurate value for this one based on Amazon due to zillions of reprints).

Just got a V for Vendetta paperback and a Viva Pinata collector's edition for $7 in total. Also now out of money. :(

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How did I know someone would point this out? I grouped them all together and used the 120 yrs old to describe them all instead of just saying the oldest was copyrighted 1880(hence 120+ years old).[/QUOTE]

yes, but why

[quote name='ninja dog']yes, but why[/QUOTE]

Because I was lazy and didn't feel like trying to remember the names/copyrights for all of them?:D:applause:

Anyway, I finally made a purchase at a thrift store today.

I picked up the following:

*Playstation game-Command & Conquer: Red Alert(both discs mint/near mint, manual in great shape)-$4.99
*The Blue & The Grey(ginormous hardcover book about the Civil War)-$1.99

The case for the PS1 game is beat up but the game discs are in great shape considering the games age, though $5 is much more than I'd usually want to pay for any pre-PS2 game. As for the book, the dust jacket is ripped in a bunch of spots and the first 10-15 pages and last 10-15 pages don't sit quite even with the rest of the book. Plus there's no title/copyright page for some reason. It just goes right into the photos/stories of the Civil War.

But for $2 I figure I'll flip through it and once I get my use out of it I'll give it to a buddy of mine since he loves reading about the Civil War.

Congrats on the Asciipad!

Was my favorite controller back in the day. I'd love to find one around here!

[quote name='yoyo1316']Picked up the following:
Chrono Trigger - 3.99
Harvest Moon 64 - 3.99
Asciiware controller - 2.99
Secret of Evermore - 3.99

Not in the picture
Zelda Gold Cartridge N64 - 1.09

photo26.jpg
[/QUOTE]

New Goodwill by me has all CD's/DVD's/VHS tapes/etc up by the front of the store, so I dug around in the bin and found a couple of those Little Einstein DVD's that they were giving refunds on months ago. But I think they wanted $4.99 there for the DVD's, so total fail.

I also found a Genesis game(WWF Royal Rumble), which was complete but had a ratty manual for $1.99. Since I already have it I didn't pick it up.

At a Goodwill near me, I got the following:

SNES:

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Uniracers
Madden '94
A Link to The Past
Super Mario World
Super Empire Strikes Back
SNES System with one official controller and one Third Party, no av or power cable.

All for $35!

Last edited by a moderator:
had my first goodwill visit in a week or so, nothing. same $8 PS1, xbox 1 controller, etc. saw 2 snes games in the videos, got excited....nhl 93 and madden 94

South Street Thrift Store

1. Super Metroid Cartridge - $4
2. Super Castlevania IV Cartridge - $4
3. Star Ocean Second Story - $8 (missing CD1)

I spotted a California raisins Christmas cassette for $1 with all the inserts in it So I was incredibly pumped,but then I was kinda disappointed when I found out its going for about 20-30 on ebay listing.

Kinda feel like I have to sell it now.

In addition to the one Playstation left from last week, there is now a PSOne all boxed up at the Goodwill for $10. Never fails. I thought about buying it but my fat one works just fine and there's little use in upgrading a freakin' Playstation. Did find another Alice Sebold book, though, and I got that since I'm about halfway through the Lovely Bones. The other day I also picked up a copy of Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox. There was a Communist Manifesto I flipped through but ultimately decided I was too stupid to comprehend, as well as a copy of Dianetics which I flipped through and, well, suffice it to say my opinion of Scientology did not improve. Did, however, find a handful of PS2 games that I came here to look up in the Gamestop thread, though they're probably worth less than what they're charging for them.

Edit: Yeah, one of them has a TIV of fifteen cents, hah.

I haven't been going to thrift stores regularly, but I did manage to pick up some stuff.

photo-15.jpg
yellow N64 controller $3.99
SNES Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World $1.99
blue Sega Dreamcast controller with VMU $3.99
greenish-blue Sega Dreamcast Millenium 2000 controller with VMU $3.99

Found a copy of Dragon Warrior for NES, complete in box with every slip, Nintendo Power inserts, manual, map, and all of that. 4.00. I know it's a common game, but is it worth more complete?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Found a copy of Dragon Warrior for NES, complete in box with every slip, Nintendo Power inserts, manual, map, and all of that. 4.00. I know it's a common game, but is it worth more complete?[/QUOTE]
Of course. Any complete game is worth more than a cart-only.

[quote name='Capsuledragon']Of course. Any complete game is worth more than a cart-only.[/QUOTE]
And the sky is blue too, yes.

Sorry, I should have made it clear, but is it worth significantly more than cart only? I mean, Madden 94 for the SNES probably isn't worth that much more than its cart only version, so I really think my question makes since as is, but I'll go ahead and clarify.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

I picked up the following:

*Playstation game-Command & Conquer: Red Alert(both discs mint/near mint, manual in great shape)-$4.99[/QUOTE]

I can't remember if this goes for Red Alert or Retaliation, but back in the dark ages one of those offered decent two player action if you had a Playstation link cable, two televisions, and could tolerate the slow-down from having too many units on screen. :cry:

Good times were had, sending a lone medium tank against a triple-layered wall of thirty Tesla towers and watching the game lock solid with multiple lightning arcs onscreen. :D

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']And the sky is blue too, yes.

Sorry, I should have made it clear, but is it worth significantly more than cart only? I mean, Madden 94 for the SNES probably isn't worth that much more than its cart only version, so I really think my question makes since as is, but I'll go ahead and clarify.[/QUOTE]

I bought a CIB Dragon Warrior for around $9-10 not long ago; you might be able to pull $15 if you have every last map and the dungeon explorer's guide.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I bought a CIB Dragon Warrior for around $9-10 not long ago; you might be able to pull $15 if you have every last map and the dungeon explorer's guide.[/QUOTE]

Ah okay-- I'm definitely keeping it. It's in very nice shape with everything included. I was happy to find it for four dollars, even though a bajillion copies of it exist.
Speaking of which, I'd really love to find the Mario games CIB one day for a good price, but I never do.

They had a Final Fantasy IX black label behind the counter for $12.99. I wonder why when all the other PS games are $1.91 on the shelf, including FFVII and the Tactics Ogre I bought there. They still have MLB and Bases Loaded for NES from earlier in the summer. I did pick up a copy of Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang for $2. No dust jacket and I probably looked awesome clutching a pink book. I REALLY wish they'd not write on the books with crayon, that shit's never coming off.

Picked up the following

Kingdom Hearts guide - 1.99
Pokemon green guide 1.59
Little Big Planet guide - 1.99
Final fantasy 8 PC complete 1.99

Non gaming related

Ti-89 Graphing Calculator - 4.99

Nice find; looks like it's going for $60-100 on eBay if you don't actually need a graphing calculator. Nice bit of return there.

Today I found a seemingly complete copy of Super Mario Bros 2, or at least the box (locked inside a case, didn't bother asking to see it). Only $20...

Just got back.

Snagged Saints Row for $2.97. :hot: It was on my "get eventually list", so I'm happy, especially considering I almost bought it earlier this month for like $15-ish, but was a few cents short on Amazon credits. Only downfall is, it's in a Blockbuster case and no manual.

Also got an OG XBox first party S controller, dark blue for $2.97. The left thumb stick is a little damaged, but for that price I gladly dropped it. Especially since I gave my wireless gamestop one to my bro.

The game selection was pretty decent, I just passed on a lot mainly because I don't have a PS3 or Wii. They had Lego: Indiana Jones sealed for the PS3 $10. A few Wii games (shovelware I think) and still two copies of GHIII from Target for the 360. Oh, and Tak and the sequel for the OG XBox (couldn't see the price). Finally, a sealed PSOne copy of Cueball 2 for $2.97 with the $6 Dollar General sticker still on it. :roll:

Had a few good finds at a few Goodwills today.

All 2.99/each, aside from PES 2010 which was 2.48.

EDIT: Also picked this bundle up the other day for $7:

I stopped at my usual gold mine Salvation Army today and had a decent score.

I nabbed the following:

:pc: Civilization IV-$3.99
SNES-Chuck Rock-$3.99
SNES-Populous-$3.99
SNES-Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest-$3.99

I'll probably give Civ IV to my one buddy as he loves those turn based strategy games.

I ended up leaving behind about 3 games though. I left behind Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Castlevania II(had a piece of plastic rattling around inside the game) and the most rarest game of ALL TIME: Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for NES.

They had about 3-4 more copies of Civ IV there on the shelf, but I inspected the one I picked up before I got it. It's in mint condition but the box is a bit beat.

PS2 slim, no cables- $5
Dualshock controller-$4

Had the video cable from my PS3 but not the ac adapter. Tried others that fit but the red light goes green for like a second then goes back to red. Not enough power or what???

[quote name='juangrande386']PS2 slim, no cables- $5
Dualshock controller-$4

Had the video cable from my PS3 but not the ac adapter. Tried others that fit but the red light goes green for like a second then goes back to red. Not enough power or what???[/QUOTE]

The PStwo lacks an internal power supply box, so therefore a standard AC adapter probably won't work with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PStwo#Slimline

Finally something worth reporting from Good Will.

untitled-6.jpg

Super Mario RPG - $2

Also had a stack of mostly racing games for the N64 (though it included Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark), and FFII and Killer Instinct for the SNES all cart only for $2 each. Wonder if FFII is worth going back for tomorrow... doesn't seem to fetch much on eBay.

[quote name='Pirate331']Finally something worth reporting from Good Will.

untitled-6.jpg

Super Mario RPG - $2

Also had a stack of mostly racing games for the N64 (though it included Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark), and FFII and Killer Instinct for the SNES all cart only for $2 each. Wonder if FFII is worth going back for tomorrow... doesn't seem to fetch much on eBay.[/QUOTE]
Final Fantasy II value(according to VGPC.com): http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/game/super-nintendo/final-fantasy-ii

It's supposedly worth about $17.99. So I'd say to go back and get it.

[quote name='budsmoka']I picked up dr.mario,legend of zelda and and metriod all with boxes for $0.99 each. Any idea what they are worth?[/QUOTE]

NES Complete in Box?

Dr. Mario - $10
Metroid - $20
Legend of Zelda - $30

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back