Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Final Fantasy II value(according to VGPC.com): http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/game/super-nintendo/final-fantasy-ii

It's supposedly worth about $17.99. So I'd say to go back and get it.[/QUOTE]
Eh, they were all gone (both the 64 and SNES stacks) when I went back today. At least I snagged the jewel of the lot. Wouldn't be surprised if the used games place 3 stores over grabbed them all.

Looks like there's still a NES Game Genie, and a NES Advantage arcade pad though.

had a little extra time today, stopped into a Goodwill store. The had like 5 games for last gen consoles. 2 Football games and PGR 1 & 2..and Fatal Frame for the PS2! all were $3. I of course took Fatal Frame, but it didn't have a manual, so it's not complete :cry: Disc was in pretty decent shape too. I was pretty happy!

[quote name='budsmoka']Just the box and game. The metroid and zelda appear to be re-releases from 92 but the Dr. Mario is the original.[/QUOTE]

Hold onto the boxes until you get the manuals. ;) I think the values on Metroid and Zelda are pretty secure but Dr. Mario is a little wobbly to me (I saw a local dealer not long ago who had Dr. Mario complete in box for gameboy @ $3).

[quote name='budsmoka']Well does anyone want them lol? Id sell all 3 for $30 shipped.[/QUOTE]

zyzz, or u just using his pic? lol

got several Microsoft stuff, office 2003 sealed

2 ps2 controllers, sticky just need to be cleaned externally/internally

Yet another find. 2 visits in a row. Boxed SNES mini, version 2, w.e. you wanna call it. Styrofoam coffin, booklets, controller, cables, plastic bag over system, Zelda A Link To The Past. $29 and change, was marked $50 but electronics were 45% off.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Scored !

N64 everything included even the box :D
also picked up 6 games with it.

only complaint is that it is an ugly ass see through green :cry:[/QUOTE]

Those "ugly ass see through green" N64s are more valuable than the regular dark gray N64s. Nice find!

Follow up on the slim PS2- got my $5 ac adapter from Ebay and everything seems to work just fine. No PS2 games to try but it played Tomb Raider 2 and a dvd. $14 for a slim PS2, ill take it.

I just picked up a mint copy of Suikoden 2 for $6 at my local bookstore, also got a copy of Brave Fencer 1 for $7 (they charge more for 2 disk games :D )

Now If only I could decide to sell my Mint copy Of Suikoden 2 or the one i got years ago at a family video that's a bit more beat up

Went to my local goodwill and found an NES Advantage joystick complete with box, styrofoam and pamphlets in excellent condition. I found that weird since this thing was made in 1987. Got it for $1.50 during a half off sale.

after finding this thread, i came across a goodwill and went in. Found a copy of Ogre Battle Limited Edition for PS2. Has the case, with no cracks. Instruction manual and I assume its the game disc. It has room for two disc but one is missing. It was $5. Can anyone tell me what is missing based on what I had described.

[quote name='handsome_bitch']after finding this thread, i came across a goodwill and went in. Found a copy of Ogre Battle Limited Edition for PS2. Has the case, with no cracks. Instruction manual and I assume its the game disc. It has room for two disc but one is missing. It was $5. Can anyone tell me what is missing based on what I had described.[/QUOTE]

looked it up on eBay and found this
Hope it helps
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Og...tle+ps2&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

hmmm thanks. all auctions and closed auctions have only one disc but thats the one i have. i wonder what the second disc was? a soundtrack? mine doesn\'t have the map. sad day. ---what do you guys think of my purchase? would you have made it?

[quote name='handsome_bitch']hmmm thanks. all auctions and closed auctions have only one disc but thats the one i have. i wonder what the second disc was? a soundtrack? mine doesn\'t have the map. sad day.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know this "limited edition" wasn't the same as what you'd expect from LE's today; back in the day my personal copy came with one disc, the flow chart, and some odd memory card stickers. I think the limited edition designation had something to do with the upgraded graphics and sound.

---what do you guys think of my purchase? would you have made it?
In a heartbeat, it's a solid pick-up. The amazon value is somewhere between $30-35 now, and you might be able to get a little more if you sit on it.

The only thing really of note I saw recently was a review copy of Might and Magic III for $5. It's pretty unusual to see a review copy, for me anyway, plus PC games are always $1.91. There was also a copy of Wild Arms 2 behind the counter for $8.99, as well as a mass of PS2 sports titles which aren't even worth the discs they're printed on any more. I wonder if they look up the games and price them accordingly now, though that clearly doesn't explain the PS2 games.

[quote name='NaturalHatTrick']Even though its a dual case, if you look on the case it says it contains 1 disc, so theres no missing disc.[/QUOTE]

Ok, cool. So looks like i am out the flow chart and stickers. I can live with it.

[quote name='sp00ge']Another good day of pickups:

A few fairly rare PC games, all complete, even some with original receipts. $1.99/each.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I remember playing some of those titles. I have a box of floppies lying around somewhere but the only game from that era I ever kept complete was my copy of Ultima VII: The Black Gate, and even that's gone now.

Hit the thrift stores today and came away with this epic amount of win:

I saw this sitting in the glass display case for $25 bucks and got pretty excited at the $25 price tag.

SNES-Opened.jpg

When I first opened it I though it might be brand new as all of the plastic wrapping looked to be included as well as the instructions/poster. I also liked that it was a bundle from Target that I had never seen before.

Target-SNES-Deal.jpg

Unfortunately I realized that the inserts for the free Nintendo Club membership were missing as well as the free issue of Nintendo Power touted on the box cover. Also missing was the included copy of Super Mario World.

What was included though is pretty cool and full of geek. There is a controller paddle that appears to have been unopened and never used.
Unwrapped-SNES-Controller.jpg

Also when I compared it's condition to my girlfriends childhood SNES the difference is pretty remarkable. (The boxed one is obviously the one on the left)

SNES-Comparison.jpg

What seems to be the coolest part of it though is that the original receipt is included with a completely filled out coupon for a free copy of Super Mario World that was never actually sent out. I would love to try and redeem it and see what Nintendo would say.

Super-Mario-All-Stars-and-SNES-Receipt.jpg

Overall, this was pretty cool to find. I also picked up an unopened copy of the boardgame Carcassone for about $7 and some cool vintage TV lamps.
SNES-and-Carcassone.jpg

Beehive-TV-Lamp.jpg

TV-Beehive-Lamps.jpg

Also got this at a flea market. Unfortunately the game was missing but I figure someone will want the extras and the box which are in immaculate condition for some loot. It only cost $2 so seems good to me.
IMG_1902.jpg

I got something odd today, a set of 10 sailor moon dolls, the big ones. They were .99 each. They are definitely authentic and not bootleg. I simply couldn't pass them up, there is one that is complete in box too.

Couple of good finds for me the last two days at Goodwill.

Starcraft $1.99
Starcraft: Broodwar $1.99
C&C Red Alert Domination Pack (4 cd) $1.99
Music of C&C CD (Sealed) $0.99
American McGee's Alice $2.99

All Jewel case only, but the cd's were mint.

[quote name='Survivalism']The only thing really of note I saw recently was a review copy of Might and Magic III for $5. It's pretty unusual to see a review copy, for me anyway, plus PC games are always $1.91. There was also a copy of Wild Arms 2 behind the counter for $8.99, as well as a mass of PS2 sports titles which aren't even worth the discs they're printed on any more. I wonder if they look up the games and price them accordingly now, though that clearly doesn't explain the PS2 games.[/QUOTE]

In my experience they're more likely to mess up on the pricing of pc games than the console stuff.

@csidegamer: Speaking of which, good find on the Alice there.

Wow those lamps are old skool kicking .. my GF saw that and said "I want those naow" ^_^

[quote name='moop2001']
Overall, this was pretty cool to find. I also picked up an unopened copy of the boardgame Carcassone for about $7 and some cool vintage TV lamps.
Beehive-TV-Lamp.jpg

TV-Beehive-Lamps.jpg

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='token2k6']had a little extra time today, stopped into a Goodwill store. The had like 5 games for last gen consoles. 2 Football games and PGR 1 & 2..and Fatal Frame for the PS2! all were $3. I of course took Fatal Frame, but it didn't have a manual, so it's not complete :cry: Disc was in pretty decent shape too. I was pretty happy![/QUOTE]

Goodwill and Salvation Army in Houston just sucks for electronic items .. I cant never seem to score anything great .. uuugghhh, just another reason to not loving Houston I guess

[quote name='EnronLackey']Wow those lamps are old skool kicking .. my GF saw that and said "I want those naow" ^_^[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got both for $40 which is good cuz I see these things go all the way up to $80 each on certain auctions, especially if they are vintage.

I saw a couple Dual Shock 2's in the one Salvation Army today. They wanted $2.99 each for them, but I don't currently have a PS2 so I left them. Not to mention they were filthy as hell and looked pretty disgusting.

They also had an old PS1 non Dual Shock controller from Sony(white one) for $3. Other than that they had jack and shit at this store.

But they still have that complete Xavix game system I've seen there for the past month....for $14.99.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I saw a couple Dual Shock 2's in the one Salvation Army today. They wanted $2.99 each for them, but I don't currently have a PS2 so I left them. Not to mention they were filthy as hell and looked pretty disgusting.

They also had an old PS1 non Dual Shock controller from Sony(white one) for $3. Other than that they had jack and shit at this store.

But they still have that complete Xavix game system I've seen there for the past month....for $14.99.:roll:[/QUOTE]

I believe one of my local stores has a sealed ps2 dual shock in the $8.99-9.99 range--yeah, I can't figure out that pricing either. It's not hard to pick up clean ones in the 50 cent - $1 range at yardsales.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I believe one of my local stores has a sealed ps2 dual shock in the $8.99-9.99 range--yeah, I can't figure out that pricing either. It's not hard to pick up clean ones in the 50 cent - $1 range at yardsales.[/QUOTE]
If you want to pick up sealed Dual Shock 2's, the silver ones are on clearance at Kmart for $4.99. I've picked up three of them thus far.;) I think the silver and transparent blue ones are both on clearance at Sears, with the silver being the same price as Kmart and the blue one being $14.97.:cry:

So inspired by this thread I hit up the Goodwill store in my local town and the one in the next town over. It was basically a waste of time as far as video games go ... I had stars in my eyes of CIB SNES games and stuff. No such luck. But I did happen to stroll over to the toy section in hopes maybe some video games would be stashed there [there weren't] but I did find this:

I haven't measured it but I am guessing it is 12 or 14 inches. It is stamped 1989 Playmates Toys on the back so I think it was worth the $1.99

edit: I am guessing it had a belt at one point because there is an indention where one could fit. But the few pictures I have found of them on the net are all beltless. Maybe that was the first thing to go with rough housing kids being too hard on them.

picture013ep.jpg

I read a couple posts back about someone saying there is always a PSX at any Goodwill and I couldn't agree any more. Every 8 out of 10 times I go to a Goodwill or a Savers, there's a PSX. The PSX was a great system and everything, but considering I already have a PSX, AND A PS2, I obviously wouldn't be interested in buying another.

In other news: I saw a GBA SP for $5 that I passed on two weekends ago that I'm kicking myself for now. :bomb:

[quote name='Segasonic01']^ Shoulda got Bubble Bobble[/QUOTE]

I went back and got it since you told me too. I has a black sleeve and pretty good looking label.

[quote name='quazz']I read a couple posts back about someone saying there is always a PSX at any Goodwill and I couldn't agree any more. Every 8 out of 10 times I go to a Goodwill or a Savers, there's a PSX. The PSX was a great system and everything, but considering I already have a PSX, AND A PS2, I obviously wouldn't be interested in buying another.

In other news: I saw a GBA SP for $5 that I passed on two weekends ago that I'm kicking myself for now. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

About a month or two ago, the Goodwill down the road from my house had a stack of 15 or so PSX's for $4/each. Console only, so I passed.

UPDATE:

I just ran out to that one and sure enough, 2 more PSXs. On teh up side, I just scored the first 7 seasons of 24 (DVD's only, no cases) for $10 total.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had another interesting find at another Goodwill.

Shadoan and Dragon's Lair II, both sealed, for $2/each. I tried looking them up online and no luck. Shadoan's UPC is actually the same as Shadow Man for the N64 (coincidence?) And not even the Dragon's Lair Fans site has this version listed.

EDIT: The thing that's really throwing me off is Shadoan is for Dos 5.0/Windows95, but the box art on my copy matches that for the CD-I. All of the other PC versions have a different art altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sp00ge'] had a stack of 15 or so PSX's for $4/each.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm talking about. I want a NES so bad, but I always find PSX's instead. The only NES I ever found was once at a Goodwill with a $8 price tag with nothing but a random AC adapter attached to the back that I wouldn't trust for my life. IS A NES WITH A CONTROLLER OR TWO AND A FEW GAMES FOR A FAIR PRICE TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?!

[quote name='quazz']Exactly what I'm talking about. I want a NES so bad, but I always find PSX's instead. The only NES I ever found was once at a Goodwill with a $8 price tag with nothing but a random AC adapter attached to the back that I wouldn't trust for my life. IS A NES WITH A CONTROLLER OR TWO AND A FEW GAMES FOR A FAIR PRICE TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?![/QUOTE]

keep looking, I got that SNES for $25 and I'm now a few inserts away from having a true CIB SNES.

[quote name='sp00ge']I just had another interesting find at another Goodwill.

Shadoan and Dragon's Lair II, both sealed, for $2/each. I tried looking them up online and no luck. Shadoan's UPC is actually the same as Shadow Man for the N64 (coincidence?) And not even the Dragon's Lair Fans site has this version listed.

EDIT: The thing that's really throwing me off is Shadoan is for Dos 5.0/Windows95, but the box art on my copy matches that for the CD-I. All of the other PC versions have a different art altogether.[/QUOTE]
Damn... You always find boxed PC games. :lol: I wish I found more than I do.
They might be "later" releases.
Mobygames has the EU release of Shadoan as that box art and the "original" US DOS release being rated "E".
Also... I don't see any laserdisc releases on the DLFS, so obviously they're not complete.
Just realized I don't know if there has ever been a consumer laserdisc version released... so nevermind. :lol:

Picked up the following today

Samsung HW-C500 AV receiver - 29.99
2 x SMB NES - 1.99
Battle toads NES - 1.99
Asciiware joystick, controller, Mario paint mouse - 6.99
Zelda, Mario world, dr. Mario SNES - 1.99

Picked up the following today

Samsung HW-C500 AV receiver - 29.99
2 x SMB 3 NES - 1.99
Battle toads NES - 1.99
Asciiware joystick, controller, Mario paint mouse - 6.99
Zelda, Mario world, dr. Mario SNES - 1.99