Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='CAG90210']Found this at my local Goodwill for $3. It is still sealed. Does any of you know if it's a worthy flip?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/QUOTE]

WOW, I remember this compilation from when I was a kid. It was being sold at Sam's club for a grip. I'm not quite sure how much you would get for it now though.

Surprisingly, the Goodwill doesnt usually have anything good. But I found a bunch of sealed software/games for the older generation of Windows, didn't pick them up since I don't know if they're worth it though.

PC games are generally worthless, unless it's classic Lucasarts or Sierra stuff, and even then it has to be on a CD, no one really deals in Floppys anymore.

Slim pickings this week. Found Ultra Bust-A-Move complete and in great shape for the Original Xbox for $3 and Kiss' "Destroyer" album for $2.

[quote name='alexkidd4']WOW, I remember this compilation from when I was a kid. It was being sold at Sam's club for a grip. I'm not quite sure how much you would get for it now though.[/QUOTE]

A bicycle handle-bar grip or a golf club grip? If it's a bike grip then that would have been a great deal!

[quote name='Cmosfm']A bicycle handle-bar grip or a golf club grip? If it's a bike grip then that would have been a great deal![/QUOTE]

It was probably a Kung Fu grip. No one makes those anymore.

Wasnt gonna go today but i did cus i was out getting something to eat and they were still opened for another half hr. Saw 3 system only Xboxs, where are all the cables and controllers for these things? Saw more cartridges sittin by the VHS tapes than the other day and got excited......just more SNES, N64, and Genesis sports games. Starting to think the new girl and guy are keeping the good stuff cus they were both like "aww man i wanted that" when i bought MarioPaint for SNES and the Genesis/Sega cd for $14 last month.

[quote name='juangrande386']Wasnt gonna go today but i did cus i was out getting something to eat and they were still opened for another half hr. Saw 3 system only Xboxs, where are all the cables and controllers for these things? Saw more cartridges sittin by the VHS tapes than the other day and got excited......just more SNES, N64, and Genesis sports games. Starting to think the new girl and guy are keeping the good stuff cus they were both like "aww man i wanted that" when i bought MarioPaint for SNES and the Genesis/Sega cd for $14 last month.[/QUOTE]

In my local store, controllers and cables are only included with the system if they're taped to or plugged into it when they receive it. Nine times out of ten (if they were donated at all) they're priced separately and may even be in an entirely different section of the store.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Is Mario Paint Worth anything saw it at Half-Price Books for 4 bucks?[/QUOTE]

If it comes with the mouse.

Spotted a 60GB PS3 at Goodwill bundled with one Sixaxis and Motorstorm for $150. Post-it note on it said "as is", so no idea if it actually works or if the laser is borked. Wasn't about to risk it.

1st post in this thread. Original Gameboy from goodwill $6.99 plus I got 25% off with my 2 year old birthday coupon!

246a0fe6.jpg

59e0f299.jpg

79233252.jpg

[quote name='slowdive21']1st post in this thread. Original Gameboy from goodwill $6.99 plus I got 25% off with my 2 year old birthday coupon!

246a0fe6.jpg

59e0f299.jpg

79233252.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You know you wanna trade this to me :drool:

Finally a good score after weeks of nothing

First was Savers where I got the following for $2.99 each

N64:
Donkey Kong 64
Mario Party
Mario Tennis

PS1:
Armored Core

Left some N64 stuff I didn't have any interest in, I think Mission Impossible, Wave Race, South Park, Quest 64, and Iggys Wrecking Balls were the games I passed on.

Next stop was Goodwill which at first seemed like a bust but hile waiting for my girlfriend to check out, I walked into the corner by the VHS tapes and stumbled upon a big box 'o PS1 games and based on my current PS1 collecting policy of buy everything that isn't sports or in total shit condition, I got the following all for $1 each

Resident Evil 3 Disc and Back Case only, no manual or front cover
Jet Moto complete Non-GH
2Xtreme complete GH
Courier Crisis front cover and manual but no back cover
VMX Racing Complete
Wild Arms in case but no manual
and Duke Nukem Time to Kill Non-GH Complete

At first I was excited because I saw Mortal Kombat Trilogy which I've been looking for for a while now, but I was pissed to find the complete case and manual, but no disc. I passed on a few sports titles, but grabbed everything else.

[quote name='JediKiller24']What's the A/C adapter in there? I don't remember it coming with an A/C adapter originally, did it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='juangrande386']Mine didnt come with Tetris unless it got lost in the Xmas wrapping paper back in the day.[/QUOTE]

TETRIS is listed on the box.

The A/C adapter is not (it works, but it is not Nintendo branded).

The link cable is still sealed too!

It doesn't have the headphones, but I am pretty sure I got an original pair in my mega game lot of 2008!

Someone obviously took good care of it. They must have carefully cut the Styrofoam for the a/c adapter.

:bouncy:

Wow slowdive.

2 things - it looks AMAZING for finding that at a thrift store. I dont think I've ever seen any system CIB at a goodwill. Also, 6.99!? I dont think I've seen any gaming system under $20 at my thrift stores. Great find man

[quote name='slowdive21']TETRIS is listed on the box.

The A/C adapter is not (it works, but it is not Nintendo branded).

The link cable is still sealed too!

It doesn't have the headphones, but I am pretty sure I got an original pair in my mega game lot of 2008!

Someone obviously took good care of it. They must have carefully cut the Styrofoam for the a/c adapter.

:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

looks nice. Does the gameboy green/grey screen come off?
I still have mines, but the creen comes off because the glue is not holding it anymore

I've been wanting to replay
n64.gif
Blast Corps for some time now. I luckily found a copy for $1.99 at Goodwill today. Also found
gameboycolor.gif
Magical Tetris Challenge for .99 cents. Never played it before, but mainly got it because it's Disney & Tetris together. The kids should like it.

There were at least a dozen N64 games, but they were mainly sports titles. Half of them were $1.99. The other half had plastic cases and manuals, but they were asking $12.99 for those. $11 extra for cases and manual? Wowza.

[quote name='The Punisher']looks nice. Does the gameboy green/grey screen come off?
I still have mines, but the creen comes off because the glue is not holding it anymore[/QUOTE]

It is in pretty nice shape. I have 4 or 5 gameboys, so I could probably swap it out. To be honest, I think it is in the best shape of all of my originals.

I have to stress this is the first good find I have had at Goodwill. Normally if they have games, which is rare, they are alwasy sports titles for 2.99 or 3.99.

I saw this in the case and when I saw the price I knew I was going to buy it just for the box!

First time posting, got inspired by this thread to try my local goodwill. Luckily i found exactly what i wanted, a nice clean original xbox with 2 s controllers and a prince of persia game was inside for $30. It didnt have any wires but i have spare ones from this xbox i broke lol.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Today was a wonderful day for Goodwill. My local one has dried up pretty badly lately, but today I visited my girlfriend, who lives in the next town over, a much larger city. We went to the goodwill there, which is a huge store that a lot of stuff from several depositories apparently gets shipped out to, and found:

2 PS2 Dance Mats, 2.99 for the pair
DDR Supernova (with a memory card in the case to boot!), 2.99
The Warriors PS2, 2.99
Baten Kaitos GCN, 4.99 (I'm guessing priced higher due to their being 2 disks?)
Monster Party, Adventure Island and BATTLETOADS NES, 1.99 each
A like-new Mercury cyberpix s-550v in the box with all the cords etc sealed, 9.99
4 DVDs my girlfriend wanted, 2 sealed, 1.99 each

After everything it was 40.xx, pretty happy with all that, especially Baiten Kaitos which I've been wanting, Battletoads which I've wanted, and the camera I've been needing. Even if it's old and pretty weak (3 megapixel) it works great.

Another good day at the thirfts

At Savers I picked up

Monster Rancher 2 and Disney's Tarzan both for PS1 for $1.99 each
Disney's Aladdin for SNES for $3.99

I'm pumped to have picked up Monster Rancher 2, since I've been looking for it for a while, and it goes for a decent amount on Amazon, however in hindsight, I'm pretty sure that whole disc swapping gimmick the game had won't work on an original PS2 with the sliding tray, so I might have to pick up a used PS1.

Next I stopped at the weird ghetto thrift store in the city and got the following for PS1

Parasite Eve for $12.99
Final Fantasy 8 for $7.99
Chrono Cross for $7.99
and a PS1 Import of Final Fantasy 4 for $1.99

I was kind of meh about the prices for the Square RPGs, they're about on par with what you'd pay online these days, Parasite Eve was the best deal of the three, but all three games were black labels, and the discs and manuals were mint, as though the games were opened but never played, so I picked them up.

I didn't really know what to make of the Final Fantasy 4 import, how this store got it and where it came from is a mystery. There are zero import shops that I am aware of anywhere around here, and it's not like anyone would really be buying a text heavy re-release of a game that's not in English, so who knows? It was only 2 dollars, so I picked it up figuring maybe I could flip it, or if nothing else it's a conversation piece.

Finally found some 360 games at my Goodwill today. I've never seen any until today.

I got the following for $3.99 a piece.

LOST: Via Domus
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Granted, they're not triple A titles by any means, but for $3.99, I couldn't pass. I really hate that my Goodwill prices their games universally. There were a few PS1 games I would have bought, but I didn't feel like paying $3.99 for them as well.

Found a Turtle Beach PX21 for $4.96, a GH Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid for $10 each, and a first generation Sound Blaster for $69.99. Apparently you have to be really high to price those things.

[quote name='slowdive21']I have 4 or 5 gameboys, so I could probably swap it out.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6QEr6rsbHw

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']meh, got a few decent genesis games today for $2 each
[/QUOTE]

Meh?! Really? Are you aware of how much a complete Moonwalker can net you? I just sold one at a convention for $70 (not sure if that is the going rate online, but I believe it is pretty close). I'd say that is a pretty damn good find for $2.00.

[quote name='Doomstink']Meh?! Really? Are you aware of how much a complete Moonwalker can net you? I just sold one at a convention for $70 (not sure if that is the going rate online, but I believe it is pretty close). I'd say that is a pretty damn good find for $2.00.[/QUOTE]

haha, yeah, but as luck would have it, even though everything is in good condition, the game wont boot, contacts are perfectly squeaky clean and tried genesis model 1, model 3, and a cdx, and with a game genie in between, the cart is dead, so jokes on me, heh

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']haha, yeah, but as luck would have it, even though everything is in good condition, the game wont boot, contacts are perfectly squeaky clean and tried genesis model 1, model 3, and a cdx, and with a game genie in between, the cart is dead, so jokes on me, heh[/QUOTE]

I have a working game with no case or manual. PM me if you want to get rid of em.

Yesterday I found a Windows Vista OS CD. Thing looked brand new but it was opened. This was a first for me because this thrift never has any games of any kind at all. Still in the box with all the books and the disc. CD keys were intact. It was the upgrade version in the green box with the red stripe. $2.99. Ultimately, I left it there. I was hesitating wether to get it or not, but I don't know if I could have resold it. I don't know how many times the key was used or anything. Unless it's still usable.

Should I have bought it? Idk if it was worth anything. Amazon has them listed for 50+.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Yesterday I found a Windows Vista OS CD. This was a first for me because this thrift never has any games of any kind at all. Still in the box with all the books and the disc. CD keys were intact. It was the upgrade version in the green box with the red stripe. $2.99. Ultimately, I left it there. I was hesitating wether to get it or not, but I don't know if I could have resold it. I don't know how many times the key was used or anything. Unless it's still usable.

Should I have bought it? Idk if it was worth anything. Amazon has them listed for 50+.[/QUOTE]
You're better off leaving it there. There is a pretty good chance that the product key was already used and you would only be paying for a physical copy of the operating system to install from. There is no resale value in just the disk with no product key.

Hit up the local mom & pop thrift shop that opened up in town for the second time this past week. Browsed through some less than stellar video games (lots of systems represented, though). Ended up just buying the WWE Mr. Perfect DVD for $2.

[quote name='pyoobez']Hit up the local mom & pop thrift shop that opened up in town for the second time this past week. Browsed through some less than stellar video games (lots of systems represented, though). Ended up just buying the WWE Mr. Perfect DVD for $2.[/QUOTE]That's a great set. The story that Wade Boggs tells at the Hall of Fame is incredible.

---

I traded in some stuff at one of the second-hand stores I go to and got:

Mario Is Missing(SNES) - $7
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee w/o manual(Xbox) - $7
Fighter Maker(PS1) - $9

Found an old Original 12 month subscription Xbox Live package sealed with giftbag at my goodwill. Didn't realize that the old XBL subs are usable with 360s so here's to 12 months of Live for $3!

Found a Joust for Atari 2600 in box with everything including posters and such. Didnt buy it for $2 but can pick it up if someone wants it.

Found a toy train as well for $20. Looks to be a pretty good thing to flip after my daughter plays with it a bit. Hogwarts Express FTW!

Had a great trip to goodwill today. Took my dad so he could get out in his wheel chair and see things, plus wednesday is senior discount day, so all the prices were actually 20% off what I listed :)

I've never seen comic books at my goodwill before, but they had 3 long boxes of books today. They had signs all over them 2 for .99. fortunately, they did not put any stickers directly on the books. I tried to talk them into pricing the whole lot, cause looking through there were a lot more books I would have bought, but they gave me the whole 'we can't change the prices' routine. here's what I picked out:

IMG_1858.jpg

Groo chronicles book 1 and 6, BSG #1, some savage sword of conan, vampirella, etc.

Next up: Some AD&D miniatures from the 80's. This is the dungeons and dragons I grew up playing, so I was excited to see these. They were $24.99 each, which seemed a little high, but getting dad's 20% convinced me to get them.

IMG_1857.jpg

Went back to the board games and puzzles section and found the next 2 pictures:

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

They were 2.99 each, and Daggerfall is sealed! Star Trek Judgement Rites is #59828 out of 75000, and is missing the pin. The VHS tape is sealed, and the CD's look minty.

while waiting to check out, I browsed the DVD rack and picked up a couple Power Rangers DVD's thinking they might flip ok. they were 1.99 each
IMG_1859.jpg

It's been pretty dry at the thrift the past week or so, but today was a flood!

Found a large pile of X-Box games at Goodwill today for $5 each. Only thing worth picking up was Star Wars Battlefront 2 which I flipped on Amazon later on this afternoon for about $25. Not too shabby.

Finally got something. $12- dreamcast controller, Rocket Ranger NES, Tetris NES. Not the best finds but I was determined to get something today.

Non bought BS- $24 apiece for complete Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye64, $9 for Metroid NES. Who the hell is gonna pay them prices at a GW???? And who is gonna pay for this anywhere- 15 bundles of like 20-30 Pokemon cards for $10 apiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back