Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='evuong']Went to two local thrift stores I never go to yesterday and scored!

6it9ud.jpg

$4 each.. never even heard of these games, but couldn't resist myself since they were all CIB

Wii Goldeneye = $5 sealed NIB
[/QUOTE]
Though I understand if you weren't around then, but both 720 and Marble Madness were awesome arcade games, such quarter guzzlers. MM would probably be just as fun today as it was then, though 720 is a bit outdated.

Also, great price on Goldeneye, my GWs / Savers never seem to have any current gen games, the fact you found one sealed is all the more impressive.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Though I understand if you weren't around then, but both 720 and Marble Madness were awesome arcade games, such quarter guzzlers. MM would probably be just as fun today as it was then, though 720 is a bit outdated.

Also, great price on Goldeneye, my GWs / Savers never seem to have any current gen games, the fact you found one sealed is all the more impressive.[/QUOTE]

Also, 720 doesn't quite work as well on the home console, as it lacks the rotary stick that the arcade version had.

[quote name='Bing147']Not exactly a thrift but went to People Play Games in Chicago today. AMAZING store. Picked up some solid deals:

Silhouette Mirage (ps1): 15.99
Shenmue 2 (Xbox): 7.99
Sonic Pocket Adventure (Neo Geo Pocket Color): 5.99
Bonks Adventure (Turbografx) 10.99
Bloody Wolf (Turbografx) 11.99

I was happy with the prices.[/QUOTE]
cool store for sure. i was there last thursday. however, their prices are CRAZY high for "rare" and popular games.

[quote name='uiengineer']cool store for sure. i was there last thursday. however, their prices are CRAZY high for "rare" and popular games.[/QUOTE]

I like that place too. I was in there last Tuesday. But you are absolutely right, they prices are freaking insane for anything rare or really popular. They have a copy of Panzar Dragoon Saga for $300, and the Zelda NES games are pretty pricey too.

Just back from my local Goodwill.

Picked up a cart only of Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour on the GBC for $1.97.

Passed on Hello Kitty Party for the DS for $2.97, some old sports titles and a sealed THQ Kinect game (didn't even bother looking at it.)

[quote name='pyoobez']Just back from my local Goodwill.

Picked up a cart only of Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour on the GBC for $1.97.

Passed on Hello Kitty Party for the DS for $2.97, some old sports titles and a sealed THQ Kinect game (didn't even bother looking at it.)[/QUOTE]

Shamokin dam goodwill? they have games less than 18? AND NOT MADDON?!?

Immpossibru!.jpg

[quote name='Bing147']Not exactly a thrift but went to People Play Games in Chicago today. AMAZING store. Picked up some solid deals:

Silhouette Mirage (ps1): 15.99
Shenmue 2 (Xbox): 7.99
Sonic Pocket Adventure (Neo Geo Pocket Color): 5.99
Bonks Adventure (Turbografx) 10.99
Bloody Wolf (Turbografx) 11.99

I was happy with the prices.[/QUOTE]

I've always been curious about that place, but I live just far enough outside of the Chi that it would count as a pilgrimage to go up there.

I feel you. I'm only in Schaumburg, not a terribly long trip.

Today i got

Mario Party 3: 4.99
Namco Museum 64: 1.99
Goldeneye: 1.99 (third copy... but a fairly easy flip)
Phantasy Star 0: 2.99

Then stopped at Gamestop and grabbed Hotel Dusk for 4.49. Plus the guy gave me 8 DS cases he was just gonna throw out. Keeping the 3 for solid titles, gutting the rest. Club Nintendo points in 5 of them.

Savers has been a bust for me lately, and it continued today. Only good thing I saw was Mario party 4 for the gamecube. I saw their was no tape on the case keeping it closed, so I knew someone stole it. Picked it up anyways, and sure enough it was empty. Some people are just so scummy.....

Since I've been temp banned for two weeks, I was only able to tell this amusing tale to a friend of mine whose not only on CAG but also on PSN and a fellow deal/thrift store hunter.

I stopped at a little community thrift about two weeks ago for shits & giggles. It was the same one I found the dead :xbox: for $3 and the fat model :ps2: for $7 at about two weeks earlier.

So I'm looking around all of the shelves when I see a violin case on one of the tv's. Now me not knowing shit about musical instruments I normally would never look at something like this.

But I remembered seeing some sort of show about how to tell who the maker of an instrument was and where to look for the labels/markings.

So I decide to check inside the violin for laughs and I see......Stradivarius.:whistle2:s :shock::shock::shock::shock:

I think 'holy fuck, I found like a $20k violin'. It's marked $62 and comes with a hard violin case for it.

So I kind of take a walk around the store thinking if I saw what I just saw inside the violin. Then I come back to it and take another look inside the violin. I tilt it left and right to let the light hit the label all over.

I see the word Reproduction. I laugh, sigh in relief, put that shit back and leave. :lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Since I've been temp banned for two weeks, I was only able to tell this amusing tale to a friend of mine whose not only on CAG but also on PSN and a fellow deal/thrift store hunter.

I stopped at a little community thrift about two weeks ago for shits & giggles. It was the same one I found the dead :xbox: for $3 and the fat model :ps2: for $7 at about two weeks earlier.

So I'm looking around all of the shelves when I see a violin case on one of the tv's. Now me not knowing shit about musical instruments I normally would never look at something like this.

But I remembered seeing some sort of show about how to tell who the maker of an instrument was and where to look for the labels/markings.

So I decide to check inside the violin for laughs and I see......Stradivarius.:whistle2:s :shock::shock::shock::shock:

I think 'holy fuck, I found like a $20k violin'. It's marked $62 and comes with a hard violin case for it.

So I kind of take a walk around the store thinking if I saw what I just saw inside the violin. Then I come back to it and take another look inside the violin. I tilt it left and right to let the light hit the label all over.

I see the word Reproduction. I laugh, sigh in relief, put that shit back and leave. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That is weird. The same thing happened to me at a SAVERS a month or two ago. I saw an old violin case. The employee said "hey can you look at this? It says Stradivarius" (they know I collect many things/am shopping 4 times a week). I figured it was a counterfeit (which would still be worth money), but it was actually marked reproduction.

[quote name='slowdive21']That is weird. The same thing happened to me at a SAVERS a month or two ago. I saw an old violin case. The employee said "hey can you look at this? It says Stradivarius" (they know I collect many things/am shopping 4 times a week). I figured it was a counterfeit (which would still be worth money), but it was actually marked reproduction.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That is weird. I know I've seen the repro's before advertised here or there, but never one up close and personal like that.

I'm just glad I took that last look at the thing before even paying the $60 for it. Although I could've likely sold the case to recoup some of my costs at least even if I found out it was a repro later on.

This same store also has a paintball gun set marked $100+ up on an upper shelf above everything else and some older antique looking furniture up on those shelves too.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I see the word Reproduction. I laugh, sigh in relief, put that shit back and leave. :lol:[/QUOTE]
I still might've taken the gamble. Just because it's a reproduction, that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. It all depends on the model and condition, of course, but some reproductions are worth hundreds of dollars.

I went to the thrift store yesterday and purchased these genesis games for about 32 bucks i'm hoping one day the might be worth something someday so i bit,all were in original cases.

ToeJam & Earl
General Chaos
Kid Chameleon
Columns
Phelios
Ms.Pacman
Sonic
Sonic 2
Altered Beast
Maxium Carbage
CoolSpot

[quote name='ZombieToast']I still might've taken the gamble. Just because it's a reproduction, that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. It all depends on the model and condition, of course, but some reproductions are worth hundreds of dollars.[/QUOTE]
That's what I figured too. But I also thought that it might be some really cheap piece of junk. Not to mention it was kind of scratched up and some of the finish was missing from the back of it.

[quote name='Kovorkian']Shamokin dam goodwill? they have games less than 18? AND NOT MADDON?!?

Immpossibru!.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They GBC game I got and DS game were in a plastic sandwich bag in the side display case game with some V-Tech (I think) games. That's also where the sealed Kinect game was as well as a PSP copy of The Show ('11 I think). Back with the DVDs and movies, they had some of the sports titles for PS2 as well as Unreal Championship for XBox for $2.97 a pop.

TBH, never noticed a ton of Madden there but I haven't had a ton of luck there. But it's nice their prices seemed a little better this time. I've had far more luck at the Lewistown and Elizabethville ones, not to mention the Shamokin one (RIP).

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah. They GBC game I got and DS game were in a plastic sandwich bag in the side display case game with some V-Tech (I think) games. That's also where the sealed Kinect game was as well as a PSP copy of The Show ('11 I think). Back with the DVDs and movies, they had some of the sports titles for PS2 as well as Unreal Championship for XBox for $2.97 a pop.

TBH, never noticed a ton of Madden there but I haven't had a ton of luck there. But it's nice their prices seemed a little better this time. I've had far more luck at the Lewistown and Elizabethville ones, not to mention the Shamokin one (RIP).[/QUOTE]

Ive only stopped in at the one in shamokin dam a few times never found a thing, game case always has like 3 maddens for 18 that are from '03 or so

Lewistown one is set up much nicer imo

Shamokin Dam Goodwill? Am I thinking of the same one here? It was in a little shopping center and the store looked kind of rundown? If so, then I snagged a couple guides from there for $1-2 each and this weird Legend Of Zelda sword & shield replica combo that came with a CD soundtrack about 5-6 years ago or so for $4-5 from there if I remember correctly.

I think it was a closeout/remnant from Target clearance or something.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Shamokin Dam Goodwill? Am I thinking of the same one here? It was in a little shopping center and the store looked kind of rundown? If so, then I snagged a couple guides from there for $1-2 each and this weird Legend Of Zelda sword & shield replica combo that came with a CD soundtrack about 5-6 years ago or so for $4-5 from there if I remember correctly.

I think it was a closeout/remnant from Target clearance or something.[/QUOTE]

probably, that shopping center is really run down, used to be a big field nearby, they now have another shopping center in where the field was target giant some others in there.

The GW looks like someone went and jammed everything together with enough room for someone to shuffle step down >.>

Either you guys went there right after stuff was put out, or someone just got everything before I arrive, because I have never seen anything worthwhile there they always mark stuff up! stuff that clearanced at target for $2 will be marked $5 and they leave the target stickers on! they just sharpie the price out

[quote name='Kovorkian']probably, that shopping center is really run down, used to be a big field nearby, they now have another shopping center in where the field was target giant some others in there.

The GW looks like someone went and jammed everything together with enough room for someone to shuffle step down >.>

Either you guys went there right after stuff was put out, or someone just got everything before I arrive, because I have never seen anything worthwhile there they always mark stuff up! stuff that clearanced at target for $2 will be marked $5 and they leave the target stickers on! they just sharpie the price out[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I haven't had a lot of great finds considering the amount of times I've stopped. But I did get Code Veronica there around 2001/02 for a friend for like $3, two or so Genesis games and the first Chronicles of Riddick game on XBox. Oh, and a 360 controller or two. I also once saw two DS (carts only) in the display case, one was a Tank game and I forget the other. They were $3 each. I will agree a lot of the stuff is overpriced, though, especially furniture. Again, this time seemed quite a bit better. They had two random chairs for $5 and I've seen similar ones sitting in there for $15 or $20. As for overpriced, they had the first two seasons of Monk and The Closer for $15 a season. $10 to me would be pushing the price for used. They also had some DVD in a blank case taped shut for $2.97 with NOTHING marked on the case on what was inside.

But I much prefer the American Rescue (I think) thrift store near the other side of Shamokin Dam. I don't get there much as it's at an odd spot, but I got a nice leather jacket for $10 (and everytime I've stopped there, they've had one or two nice leather jackets for either $10 or $15 various sizes), an NES Advantage and some other stuff namely VHS and CDs.

Oh, and the Salvation Army in Sunbury. I used to live a few blocks away, so I'd hit them up twice a week or so. Snagged an asston of Genesis games there over the years, a handful of SNES/NES/Gameboy games. For the longest time, it was very rare that I didn't leave with something. I've got crap laying all around from there like my sweet Dutch tile coaster, an old school metal pirate chest coin bank.

If you guys can stand rolling through my hood in Gunbury, Market Street is really the place to go in the area. Last I checked there were like 5 or so thrift shops from like the 200-600 or 700 block. One of them near where the two seperate lanes merge near the park was almost nothing but games, DVDs and VHS. Prices weren't great but were still reasonable/better than flea markets. Another across the street from the Salvation Army had really good deals on games, though. I got Super Mario RPG for $3, Pokemon Red for $2 and the Mr. Perfect WWE DVD for $2. Last time I stopped in I asked about two The Sims 1 expansion discs and they said $5 for both. Too much for me, but still not overly bad.

There are/were two more up from there I haven't been in as one was closed when I went through and I haven't been downtown in a few months to check the other. Oh, and one that was kid's based. I asked about games and after being pointed to a room of board games, she said she didn't have any video games but got them occassionally as she just did consignments. There was another one, but I guess it's only open every seventh half moon and sixth full or something.

But yeah, property owners are apparently pretty desperate to get anyone into the abandoned store fronts. A decent bit of them don't make enough to really keep going for more than a few years, though.

[quote name='Kovorkian']probably, that shopping center is really run down, used to be a big field nearby, they now have another shopping center in where the field was target giant some others in there.

Either you guys went there right after stuff was put out, or someone just got everything before I arrive, because I have never seen anything worthwhile there they always mark stuff up! stuff that clearanced at target for $2 will be marked $5 and they leave the target stickers on! they just sharpie the price out[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That Zelda set I picked up had black permanent marker over the original UPC on the back and I think over something on the front as well.

The one over by the mall intersection with Sheetz(across from what used to be the locksmith)? I've never stopped there.
I hate going over to murderbury, last time i went to go to the salvation army over there it had closed at NOON! it opened at 9 or so.....

It's been forever since I was down that way and I doubt I'll ever hit those stores again with gas prices around $3.70 ish a gallon. Only reason I think I hit around there was I got lost en route to or coming from Knoebel's or something. :lol:

Yeah. By 'got lost' I mean I intentionally went 'whoops' with a then ex gf who was still a pretty good friend at that point. We used to traipse all over NEPA, central PA, NJ and even portions of NY looking for deals to try and resell(never got that far) back in the mid 2000's. :whistle2:# That's how I amassed a collection of pennied guides totaling almost 1000(with many, many dupes) at one point.

Funny thing is, I know the back streets around the malls in Syracuse, Big Flats/Horseheads and all of the side roads in Allentown, Harrisburg, York, Lancaster and at times even Atlantic City/Wildwood from all of the random side trips I would take at that time.:D

[quote name='pyoobez']I've had far more luck at the Lewistown and Elizabethville ones, not to mention the Shamokin one (RIP).[/QUOTE]
Shamokin? Is that where The Mask is from?

This is what I got today - The savers near me had a grand opening yesterday, but I couldnt go until today. I got a lot of awesome stuff. All really cheap too. Pokemon gold, silver only 1.99 each, all the boxed games in the middle of the pic only $0.99 each. The N64 boxed game were $6.99 each. Ps1 games $1.99 each, wavebird controller $4.99 nes/sega gen games $.99, xbox ps2 games $1.99 The Star Wars Battlefront II game is sealed!. The video game guy said that he sold a ton of stuff on the grand opening, I wonder what it could have been?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's a hell of a haul, white3er, though I know I would've likely forgone all of the cart only handheld stuff and likely not picked up the N64 games for $7 each.

And Wu-Tang Shaolin Style(aka the game that used the engine originally intended for Thrill Kill on PS1) in the lot to boot. Not a bad game perse, but I tried playing it midway through the PS2 gen and I couldn't even look at the damn thing past 5 minutes.:whistle2:#

As for my thrift store adventure today, the one lady at the one SA store near me had a combination cold/smokers' cough, so I didn't dare ask her to see the games, which they're now keeping behind the counter instead of in the one case.:whistle2:#

I also saw a model 30001 :ps2: at the same store for almost 6x($40) what I paid for the 30001R about a month ago($7) at a further off thrift. It was complete with a controller and DID work. Not only that but the warranty seal was still 100% intact. But I could buy a pre-owned one from GS for $40 or so now and at least have 7 days if it's a pos.

$5- DSi/3DS ac adapter. Needed one for the DSi that Amazon wouldnt accept with a usb charge cable. Funny thing is I had just bought one from Target for $10 so ill take that back sometime.

$3- NES ac adapter and some composite cables. Ill be ready for a system only NES if I find one.

Saw a Final Fantasy 7 Greatest Hits for $50........UHH NO GOODWILL JUST NO!

[quote name='juangrande386']
Saw a Final Fantasy 7 Greatest Hits for $50........UHH NO GOODWILL JUST NO![/QUOTE]

I'd go back and troll them on that. "Look at this, it's not even black label, I get these for $20 at auction" etc. :cool:

[quote name='Eagle3ye']HOLY CRAP white3er !!!! My hands would have been shaking as I poured all that stuff into my shopping cart :drool:[/QUOTE]

thanks everybody - this was my greatest find of all time at out of all the thrift stores I have been too. I was just tossing the games in the cart and there were moms there hovering over me and my cart. I couldnt wait to check out

[quote name='Kovorkian']The one over by the mall intersection with Sheetz(across from what used to be the locksmith)? I've never stopped there.
I hate going over to murderbury, last time i went to go to the salvation army over there it had closed at NOON! it opened at 9 or so.....[/QUOTE]

Yeah. There's a "back way" into the Rescue store across from Sheetz if you're stopping at mall. I can't remember if it's only one way though, as I don't drive. The games are really hit or miss there, though, but if they do have it the prices have always been really reasonable.

And yeah, the Salvation Army in Sunbury closes at noon on Saturdays. They used to do an extra hour in the warmer months, but I think they stopped doing that around the time they moved from next to the Peppermint after the fire to down by the OIP.

[quote name='Kovorkian']Shamokin is coal country[/QUOTE]

Yep. World's largest man made mountain in the world.

I haven't been to Shamokin much since around the time the Goodwill closed up and a discount grocery opened close than going to BRL. I got to the gaming/video shop once (it was near their Salvation Army) and was on their Salvation Army once as well. Both were decent. At their Salvation Army, I snagged Burai Fighter and Werewolf for the NES both CIB for 99 cents each.

Went to a few of my local Goodwills this morning in search of video games. Sadly, I found nothing besides from a few sports titles. I did, however, find some manga.

It was weird seeing these at a place like Goodwill (Especially with the Parental Advisory labels on the front). Since it was 30% Off Day I got all of these for only $1.24. Seeing as I haven't read any manga for a few years, I might not even read these. But for the price I couldn't pass it up. New manga usually sells for about $10 and these are in excellent shape.

19rgx

[quote name='pyoobez']-snip-

And yeah, the Salvation Army in Sunbury closes at noon on Saturdays. They used to do an extra hour in the warmer months, but I think they stopped doing that around the time they moved from next to the Peppermint after the fire to down by the OIP.-snip-[/QUOTE]

I go by the mall Mon - Fri twice >.>

I've yet to find anything ever at the Shamokin Dam Goodwill, Bloomsburg and Lewistown however have been good to me especially the lewistown one spent $5 dollars on books that were LN and they retailed for about $25 each

I was only going to stop because my sister wanted to go to the Chinese auctions [I despise Chinese auctions I never win, she always does >.>] in Sunbury. I just thought being open for 3hours was kind of rediculous

[quote name='Kovorkian']I go by the mall Mon - Fri twice >.>

I've yet to find anything ever at the Shamokin Dam Goodwill, Bloomsburg and Lewistown however have been good to me especially the lewistown one spent $5 dollars on books that were LN and they retailed for about $25 each

I was only going to stop because my sister wanted to go to the Chinese auctions [I despise Chinese auctions I never win, she always does >.>] in Sunbury. I just thought being open for 3hours was kind of rediculous[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I could be wrong, but I always assumed they open from 9-12 as that's roughly the hours of the Farmer's Market which is right nearby. When I lived a little closer, I used to stop at the Farmer's Market as there's a couple that do extreme couponing and sell the food at discounted prices. They also have some random flea market type stands. I've snagged a few games there, but it's somewhat rare, but all on the cheap. I got something for the Genesis for 50 cents (they had it and an old Madden.) Another time I got GTA: Chinatown Wars for $2-ish. Also one time an old dude was selling DVDs for $2 mainly kung fu and wrestling so I stocked up.

However, the Farmer's Market has gone downhill since the owner applied and got a liquor license. Almost all of the stands were run by senior citizens and there quite a few Mennonites/Amish in there.

I don't really do Chinese Auctions after I won one a prize (a plastic floppy disc lock box) offered by a distant relative's business. We had the same last name so some people assumed shenanigans. It probably didn't help that my grandmother, also with the same name, went to pick up the prize. The main reason I won, though, was because I was picking up containers to feel their weight and dropping in more tickets in the lesser ones.

[quote name='white3er']thanks everybody - this was my greatest find of all time at out of all the thrift stores I have been too. I was just tossing the games in the cart and there were moms there hovering over me and my cart. I couldnt wait to check out[/QUOTE]

You don't happen to live near Danbury, CT do you? There's a Savers out there that just opened yesterday, but it's a bit of a haul for me to get out there from Waterbury, and there's only a couple of Goodwills out that way where I never find anything, so I usually don't make the trip.

Anyway, on to the finds:

The onion field (DVD)
Dark Skies complete series
First Monday in October
V - the complete first season
Foul Play (goldie hawn and chevy chase)
The Last Don II (DVD)
Shadowlands
Washington: Behind closed doors (weird release I can't find online)

and, probably most interesting to some people here: Tata Young's Special Limited Edition 2-Disc "I Believe"

:)

Got some nice stuff last night.

USB 3 1/2 floppy drive - $3
Sealed Stratego library edition - $5
Sealed Legends of the Silver Screen puzzle - $2
Sealed Boys of Summer VHS - $1 (anyone know how to tell factory sealed VHS from resealed VHS?)
Spellbinder VHS - $1
Toymakers Dream VHS - $1
Weird Cartoons VHS - $1
Box and Manuals only Aces of the Pacific - $2 (Found this in the same Goodwill I found about 5-6 other box and manual only vintage PC games... I'm starting to wonder if they go through the box when they get it and throw away the floppies or something :/)

bread's done
Back