Thrift Store Thread 2012

Lots of vendors at New York Comic Con this weekend selling vintage games. Most were hilariously overpriced (console only Sega Master System for $100? Not on this planet). There were a lot of more reasonable vendors however, selling NES, SNES, and PS1 era stuff at prices at or below market value. The only thing I ended up with was a complete Non-Greatest Hits Twisted Metal 2 for PS1 for $10, which is an average price.

I hit up one of the local thrift stores late last week, and on the way out I noticed a stray 6 button pad behind the counter, lying on the floor with no wires attached. Being a curious person, I inquired about it and had the salesperson root around the area for the seemingly missing sensor unit for the Genesis. Come to find out it was thrown in with a Sega CD and Genesis lot they had concocted for the low, low price of $50.95. I was going to walk away, but the manager asked me what price it would take for me to pop on the lot and we met at $30.00 + taxes for the console set, wireless controller + receiver, all Sega CD base plates & screws, and a cib copy of Shadowrun that I almost walked by. Its not the best haul Ive had from the thrifts, but the game and controller work wonderfully and I eventually got the Sega CD to work after I boiled the rubber mounts for the CD lens assembly. The genesis power ups, but seems to be fickle when reading games so I plan to sell that along with a broken Sega CD I have laying around to house to help recoup some of the money I spent. I'm happy, and finally have a working Sega CD. :D

8092949220_c08150db8f_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A Savers opened up near me about a month ago, had no idea until I saw a billboard the other day. Walked in and found these:
photo-15.jpg

Sorry about it being sideways, all the NES games are complete! They were on plastic bags of two games each marked $.99 so $.50 a piece.

Found the rest of these at goodwill over the past few week.
photo-16.jpg

photo-18.jpg

photo-17.jpg

I was really excited to find the green 64, I hAd one when I was a kid but sold it like an idiot. Sold everything else but Mario 64 and the pod racing game.
Kept all the ps1 and ps2 stuff.

Oh, Jet Moto...I wish they hadn't handed that off to inferior developers for the third game. I understand that they couldn't use SingleTrac anymore, but damn...

Okay, so today I was at a Goodwill I frequent a lot. They always have a game or two and they were having a sale, so I decided to go inside. Turned out they had quite a bit of games, but most of it was shovelware PS2 games and a few SNES sports titles. But something caught my eye.

I saw a really large box for a SNES game sitting in the back of the store where the glassware is. I thought to my self, "Oh my god, could this be Earthbound?". When I approached it, it turned out to be something called "Super Bomberman Party Pack". I've never seen this exact game before, so I opened the box and there was just junk inside. Just a pack of unrelated light bulbs and some paper. Though, I saw a black cable and the manual. But no cartridge inside. As soon as I got home I went on Ebay and searched for the game. Turns out, there's only one current auction on the game. And it's priced at $160.

Should I go back and buy the box itself and maybe find the peripherals and cartridge on Ebay or Amazon? I'm nearly tempted to go to Goodwill first thing in the morning to buy the box. I just wanted to check with you guys first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PKGarep']Okay, so today I was at a Goodwill I frequent a lot. They always have a game or two and they were having a sale, so I decided to go inside. Turned out they had quite a bit of games, but most of it was shovelware PS2 games and a few SNES sports titles. But something caught my eye.

I saw a really large box for a SNES game sitting in the back of the store where the glassware is. I thought to my self, "Oh my god, could this be Earthbound?". When I approached it, it turned out to be something called "Super Bomberman Party Pack". I've never seen this exact game before, so I opened the box and there was just junk inside. Just a pack of unrelated light bulbs and some paper. Though, I saw a black cable and the manual. But no cartridge inside. As soon as I got home I went on Ebay and searched for the game. Turns out, there's only one current auction on the game. And it's priced at $160.

Should I go back and buy the box itself and maybe find the peripherals and cartridge on Ebay or Amazon? I'm nearly tempted to go to Goodwill first thing in the morning to buy the box. I just wanted to check with you guys first.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on how much the box is, I would probably grab it for a reasonable price

Contra Legacy of War PS1- $3

Onimusha Warlords PS2- $3

NES controller- $2

Purple GBA, no batter cover- $2

2 copies of WWE 12 for Wii- $4 apiece, already traded to Amazon for $27!!!

Thanks for the tip for neverhood. I got the psx game for .50 cents, and neverhood for free because it didn't have the jewel case.. good deal..

no pics but i got 5 sealed Pokemon black and white pre made stater decks for 4 bucks at the goodwill...

B221B50F-2CA4-4E19-A4DB-0A43560E652A-8370-00000514E8B0A336.jpg

[quote name='stiner']A Savers opened up near me about a month ago, had no idea until I saw a billboard the other day. Walked in and found these:
photo-15.jpg

Sorry about it being sideways, all the NES games are complete! They were on plastic bags of two games each marked $.99 so $.50 a piece.

[/QUOTE]

those would be priced at close to market value around here. it sucks. once in awhile i can find something good

Yeah, I saw them and figured they were going to be expensive. When I saw the tag I had to check it three times before I believed the price was real.

[quote name='Animal7390']those would be priced at close to market value around here. it sucks. once in awhile i can find something good[/QUOTE]

Yup, Savers here would have all those games behind the jewlery counter with $24.99 price tags on them, and they'd sit there for three months before getting shipped to a different store or tossed in the dumpster. The Savers closest to me has had the same copy of Mario / Duck Hunt on the shelf with a $14.99 price tag on it for months now.

Picked up Shenmue II for Xbox and Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland for PS2 at goodwill for $4 each yesterday. Not great deals but they were the first things I've ever seen at my goodwill that weren't just sports games. They actually had a lot of common titles for Xbox that were all in IMMACULATE condition. Unfortunately it was pretty common stuff that was worth about the $4 they were charging :/

Oh and I hit a church rummage sale and found a furby for $.50 I'm just hoarding these stupid things now XD

At Good will ths past weekend I picked up to sealed PC games for $2.00 a piece:
Dark Messiah: Might and Magic Limited edition
Neverwinter Nights 2 Expansion: Storms of Zehir (Already sold on Amazon for $25)

I almost didn't go out to goodwill yesterday, glad I did.
kb55b9.jpg

Fire Emblem GBA Complete near mint! $2
Dweebs Geeks and Weirdos $2 (I plan on selling this, cheapest one on Amazon is around $48)
NBA JAM and TE $1 Each
Spyro Year of the Dragon black label complete $2
Screen protector for my phone $3

[quote name='Eagle3ye']

Oh and I hit a church rummage sale and found a furby for $.50 I'm just hoarding these stupid things now XD[/QUOTE]

I found a boxed furby a while back for $1. lol.

Had a decent Goodwill shopping trip last weekend, picked up the following:

:gc: Lego Star Wars II: Original Trilogy, $1.50
Model 2 Genesis with 1 generic 6 button controller, AC adapter and A/V RF hook ups, $6.50
Electronic Catchphrase, 1st Edition $0.75

I was mostly stoked about finding Catchphrase, which was mistakenly put in the kids toy section rather than the board game section. Debating on whether or not I should keep the genesis unit, as I don't have any games to test it with (LED comes on though), sold all my genesis games long ago.

See a stack of Gameboy games in the case- Super Mario Land, Dr Mario, Double Dragon, some others. Asked to see them......$8 apiece! I said "HELL NO!" But what did I find further down in the case, $4 Pokemon Leaf Green cartridge, its a real copy and the save works just fine.

Went to my local good will yesterday to find out that they raised prices of games to $5 :cry:

But I saw these and couldn't pass them up

2epn3w1.jpg

All CIB except metroid which is in a ps2 case for some reason and missing manual

[quote name='evuong']Went to my local good will yesterday to find out that they raised prices of games to $5 :cry:

But I saw these and couldn't pass them up

All CIB except metroid which is in a ps2 case for some reason and missing manual[/QUOTE]
One of the Goodwills I stop by raised their base price to $8 for all games, which means I only go there on the 1/2 off sales. Awesome finds in your lot, even at the $5 price.

Ya, Dark Alliance 2 is worth what you paid for all of them on its own...

Grabbed Mario Kart 64 for $5.99. They also had Mario 64 for the same price but a little too much to be worth flipping. Borderline but meh, I already have it. Mario Kart I didn't have actually but I refused to pay eBay prices, I knew it was common enough that I would eventually stumble on one.

Found this at goodwill today for $4. Great condition. I can't find anything exactly like it though. Anyone have any knowledge??

picture.php

picture.php

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Found this at goodwill today for $4. Great condition. I can't find anything exactly like it though. Anyone have any knowledge??
images removed[/QUOTE]

Only ting I can find is the one for the Majora's mask collector's edition and this does not match the image of that, nor idoes it appear to be the 2 disc version available from Nintendo Power.

Import?

[quote name='Kovorkian']Only ting I can find is the one for the Majora's mask collector's edition and this does not match the image of that, nor idoes it appear to be the 2 disc version available from Nintendo Power.

Import?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for looking, I actually did find this eventually though
http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Majoras-Nintendo-Promotional-Soundtrack/dp/B006R3CA3Y

About the only thing I can find on it. Hopefully someone will come along who knows exactly what it is :D

[quote name='Kovorkian']according to that link it is the one from nintendo power[/QUOTE]

Yeah it says its the 1 disc one. The image and the track listings match up so I guess that's it.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Yeah it says its the 1 disc one. The image and the track listings match up so I guess that's it.[/QUOTE]

Still a cool find

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Yeah it says its the 1 disc one. The image and the track listings match up so I guess that's it.[/QUOTE]

Is there back liner art? You gotta watch out on OSTs sometimes because of "Made in Taiwan" bootlegs.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Is there back liner art? You gotta watch out on OSTs sometimes because of "Made in Taiwan" bootlegs.[/QUOTE]

picture.php

Here's what the back looks like

Why is it all the Intellivision games I find are CIB while nothing else seems to be? Everything was $3 a piece.

The loose cartridge is a "Video Test Cartridge" Anyone know anything about this?

Sorry for blurry pic

Been dry lately, found a dark blue Gameboy Advance SP in great shape (barely scuffed, perfect screen) for $15, Aria of Sorrow and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for $6 each. Not really great deals, but I wanted an SP for myself and I know Aria of Sorrow is ~$20 online.

Picked these up for .25 each over the past few weeks from a local thrift store just a couple blocks from my house. Also got the Ninja Assassin BluRay for $1.50 after it was sold half off.
IMAG0280-1.jpg

IMAG0279-1.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

I've been lucky quite a few times at this place, gotten a few LCD monitors (including the Samsung 17" that I currently use as my 2nd screen) for less then $10 and sold them for $30-$40 each. I also got a pretty nice Denon 5.1 receiver for $15 that works great and actually replaced my 10 year old Onkyo receiver.

URL]"][IMG]

Got a Dreamcast (no cords), with a boxed controller, and disc only copies of Mortal Kombat Gold, Street Fighter Double Impact, Resident Evil 3, and Slave Zero today. The first 3 games are solid finds as far as Dreamcast goes, already have Street Fighter (why couldn't it have been third strike!) but hey, for 14.99 I was happy. I'll sell Double Impact and get my money back.

While nothing outstanding, I was happy with what I found last weekend at some Goodwills, as all of it was complete and mostly in great shape for $2.50 each (Mega Man was not the original case though). I was also curious about the Sonic and Knuckles collection, as it was marked from Jack in the Box, and usually tie-ins like that can be collectible. It's for Win 95, so I'll probably end up returning it anyways.

8159070834_4bd0de09b1.jpg

Went to goodwill today and found:

Adventures of Batman & Robin (Sega Genesis) - $2 - CIB.. I never find genesis games that are boxed in cardboard, so I was happy with this

Soul Blade (PS1) - CIB - $2
Evil Dead: Hail To The King (PS1) - CIB - $2
Wavebird controller (no receiver ) - $4

I picked up, a sealed, Lego Star Wars Stormtrooper watch, for $5 and complete Wonder Woman 1st season DVD for $2.97. I saw two Xbox 360 power bricks. Any trade in value with those?

Been ahile, but i got some stuff this week.
sealed:
81F3A684-30BD-48E2-AE09-B18D88EC21CB-2874-00000220136B2250.jpg

non sealed games
61898980-BE38-4F1A-97B5-185596979B07-2874-0000022021E23A0C.jpg

I found these transfomrers for 4 bucks. was missing 2 to make the set :( dont know what to do with them sell them individually or as a set..
7D4A4C80-2081-4E80-96E7-A1E4CB76DBF0-2874-0000022019B22982.jpg

Stopped at goodwill early this morning and I'm happy that I'm finally finding some stuff there

-Quest 64 $3.99
-Resident Evil 4 Gamecube $2.50

This Goodwill is being very good to me lately, only waited a day after the last time and there was already more stuff. Today I picked up a copy of Tomba 2 for PS1. Missing the manual but it's still a pretty rare game so I was happy :) and Croc 2 for PS1. Both were 2.99 each

bread's done
Back