Thrift Store Thread 2012

I don't know if it's regional or corporate, but I was told today that after the end of the year, Goodwill isn't going to be dealing with Target clearance any longer. They said that they were practically losing money, which doesn't surprise me since a large portion of the stuff my store received was Defective Salvage. Sure, some stuff was maybe a little used, but I've returned a TON of stuff that was flat-out broken.

Local store had 50% off of everything today. Too bad their selection sucked and even with the discount I wouldn't make money back on most of the DVDs. Ended up getting Super Hero Squad Volume 1 only.

I visited a Goodwill today, and found the following PS1 games in good condition:

Legend of Dragoon (greatest hits)
Metal Gear Solid (greatest hits)
Resident Evil 2 (dual shock edition)
Vagrant Story

Got 'em for only $2.00 each. How did I do? I never owned a PS1 or PS2 (do have a PS3 now, though).

Pretty good prices on everything, especially Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant Story.

You beat me, I paid $2.60 each for the copies of Vagrant Story and Legend of Dragoon that I found at Good Will.

[quote name='blindinglights']Pretty good prices on everything, especially Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant Story.

You beat me, I paid $2.60 each for the copies of Vagrant Story and Legend of Dragoon that I found at Good Will.[/QUOTE]

You both beat me, $4 each for dragoon and resident evil 2 a while back

Nothing major to report, but I went to GW on an off day and found a copy of :wii: Wii Sports for $1.99. I'm surprised how well this game sells, I thought just about everyone and their grandmother had a copy by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Nothing major to report, but I went to GW on an off day and found a copy of :wii: Wii Sports for $1.99. I'm surprised how well this game sells, I thought just about everyone and their grandmother had a copy by now.[/QUOTE]

It used to sell for a lot more before Nintendo gave it it's own retail release. I'd attribute discs getting damaged and used resellers (like Gamestop) separating the game and console.

[quote name='sp00ge']It used to sell for a lot more before Nintendo gave it it's own retail release. I'd attribute discs getting damaged and used resellers (like Gamestop) separating the game and console.[/QUOTE]

I used to check gamestop.com every day to see if there were any copies in stock near me. When we finally bought a wii I sold the new copy of wii sports and bought s used copy from gamestop. ;)

I've had some good recent thrift finds, but not much video game stuff. I think the best game was a nice complete copy of final fantasy viii for pc for $2.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I used to check gamestop.com every day to see if there were any copies in stock near me. When we finally bought a wii I sold the new copy of wii sports and bought s used copy from gamestop. ;)

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I made a bit of money flipping copies to eBay. Then GS wised up and raised the price. Bastards...

so does anybody know if this "savers" thrift store is coming to western PA/Pitt area? The goodwills around here are hit and miss, but I do love me some Red White and Blue thrift (even though it is gettting hard to find really good stuff there).

[quote name='MasaTFC']so does anybody know if this "savers" thrift store is coming to western PA/Pitt area? The goodwills around here are hit and miss, but I do love me some Red White and Blue thrift (even though it is gettting hard to find really good stuff there).[/QUOTE]

Man, I haven't been to a Red White and Blue in at least a year. Any good finds were few and far between, and didn't justify the drive from Irwin/Murrysville.

Last time I was there, I picked up a 3DO, and it was broken. But it came with a ton of good games, including "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" which more than paid for the entire purchase.

Savers is a mixed bag. My local stores ship stuff in. This means you usually see something... but it can be very random. They might have 6 systems but no games... this is common. Prices usually stink but they have their moments...

Picked up this weird X-Men Lego-knockoff movie. Only two listings on eBay, $3 and $35.

Also picked up Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist Volume 9, the first purchase from there that I actually plan to keep in a long time.

Savers is very hit or miss. Some days I've found ds systems for like 4.99 and nes games for like .99, but then you'll see stuff like a copy of madden 2002 or something like that for like 5.99, makes no sense...

Today I got Wario World, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and a Zelda Wind Waker for 4.99 each. Wind Waker will make me my money back and then some. Also have an extra Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine... may have to flip those 3 quick and make a nice chunk of money. I figure the 3 will get me a third of the way to a Panzer Dragoon Saga I'm saving for...

Went to a local goodwill recently and found this:
bdmp9c.jpg

A jukebox that fits on your chest! It plays cd's, radio stations, and you can hook your iPod into it. Found it plugged into an outlet, which didn't work and I am guessing that is why it was still there. Luckily the person plugged it in thinking it didn't work or I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Looked it up online and the retailer had them for 150+, paid $10.

[quote name='NzumbeKiller']Went to a local goodwill recently and found this:
bdmp9c.jpg

A jukebox that fits on your chest! It plays cd's, radio stations, and you can hook your iPod into it. Found it plugged into an outlet, which didn't work and I am guessing that is why it was still there. Luckily the person plugged it in thinking it didn't work or I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Looked it up online and the retailer had them for 150+, paid $10.[/QUOTE]

Awesome find man! :lol:

[quote name='Bing147']I figure the 3 will get me a third of the way to a Panzer Dragoon Saga I'm saving for...[/QUOTE]

While PDS is an absolutely phenomenal game, keep in mind that it is only around 15 hours long. The short length makes that $300 price tag hurt a little more. I'm thankful that I bought my copy back when Bing was offering 50% cashback on eBay purchases... otherwise I'd probably be bitter about the length.

[quote name='Bing147']Savers is a mixed bag. My local stores ship stuff in. This means you usually see something... but it can be very random. They might have 6 systems but no games... this is common. Prices usually stink but they have their moments...[/QUOTE]

Savers is way more miss than hit, but when you do hit, it's usually a good one. I'd say for every 10 times I stop in there, I might find something worth buying once, and as noted their prices are totally inconsistant and usually laughably high. I've found valuable games there for $3, and seen crap sports games sit on the shelf for months because they put a $6 price tag on it. Generally Consoles will be very unreasonably prices, regardless of whether they come with wire and / or controllers, seeing junk like a console only PS1 or XBox with a sticker on it for $30 or more is a very frequent occurrence.

Anyone else notice the quality of the finds at the thrifts has taken a sharp decline over the last couple of months? Even this thread used to be one of the busiest on this board and now it's very slow. I make the rounds to Goodwill and Savers now once a week, but other than a copy of Monster Rancher 2 for PS1 for $3 and the Star Wars Ewoks movie for for $2, both of which I flipped for $30 each, I rarely find anything anymore.

I love it, I'm ragging on Goodwill one day, then I find a Target returned copy of Halo 4 for $25 the next. I passed on Target returned copies of Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Pokemon Black 2 for $15 each. I probably could have flipped Pokemon for a decent amount, but oh well. I also found 4 old WWF Jakks Accessory packs still mint on card for $5 each, I shouldn't have trouble getting $25 - $30 each for them. I guess you just need to be at the right place at the right time.

Just picked up Fear Effect (PS1) in like-new condition for $3.99 at PawnAmerica. Not a single scratch on the discs/case; looks like the previous owner takes even better care of his games than I do mine.

[quote name='NzumbeKiller']Went to a local goodwill recently and found this:
bdmp9c.jpg

A jukebox that fits on your chest! It plays cd's, radio stations, and you can hook your iPod into it. Found it plugged into an outlet, which didn't work and I am guessing that is why it was still there. Luckily the person plugged it in thinking it didn't work or I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Looked it up online and the retailer had them for 150+, paid $10.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I owned the previous version that took cassettes !

Picked up SMB 3, Bubble Bobble (not 2, awwww,), and Mickey Mousecapade all CIB and for a whopping $3 total. Woohoo!

[quote name='spmahn']I love it, I'm ragging on Goodwill one day, then I find a Target returned copy of Halo 4 for $25 the next. I passed on Target returned copies of Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Pokemon Black 2 for $15 each. I probably could have flipped Pokemon for a decent amount, but oh well. I also found 4 old WWF Jakks Accessory packs still mint on card for $5 each, I shouldn't have trouble getting $25 - $30 each for them. I guess you just need to be at the right place at the right time.[/QUOTE]

Damnit, I've been looking for a cheap copy of NSMB2. :cry:

I stopped by a goodwill today just cuz i was shopping nearby and found these

Zelda Skyward Sword $15 complete and the Club Nintendo point code was unused
Ps2 adapter $5
Dracula game $4

A6A6855C-ED7F-4CDC-8670-61EB15F4274E-1089-000000C0C9E46F52.jpg

Hopefully I can flip the adapter and make back part of what I spent on the other 2 games.

My local Goodwill just let me down big time today, in the glass case they had 2 VHS copies of The Little Mermaid for....$28! and $15! I asked what the deal was and she said "they looked those up on Ebay, they have the "banned original cover"". I didnt see what she was talking about till she pointed it out, part of the castle looks like a d1ck. They even had the price tag over it like it was obvious! I said "who is going to pay $28 let alone $15 for an old VHS??"

Looked it up later and there was plenty of $10 copies that didnt sell. They obviously scrolled down and saw the Buy It Now one that sold for $25 with $3 shipping and think theyll get that. This pretty much cemented my belief that they started looking up more stuff than just glassware like before.

I found a Sega Saturn with virtua cop 1 & 2, daytona usa, andretti racing & a demo sampler, with 2 controllers at my local Salvation Army thrift store for $20 it was missing the video cable but i bought it and it works just fine. SCORE!
At Value Village i found a sega genesis 32 game thing you hook up to your tv for $7.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='juangrande386']My local Goodwill just let me down big time today, in the glass case they had 2 VHS copies of The Little Mermaid for....$28! and $15! I asked what the deal was and she said "they looked those up on Ebay, they have the "banned original cover"". I didnt see what she was talking about till she pointed it out, part of the castle looks like a d1ck. They even had the price tag over it like it was obvious! I said "who is going to pay $28 let alone $15 for an old VHS??"

Looked it up later and there was plenty of $10 copies that didnt sell. They obviously scrolled down and saw the Buy It Now one that sold for $25 with $3 shipping and think theyll get that. This pretty much cemented my belief that they started looking up more stuff than just glassware like before.[/QUOTE]

Pricing like that seems to contradict what makes a thrift store a thrift store in the first place (or at least what I thought a thrift store was supposed to be). The Goodwill I go to doesn't seem to be much better, either, and they've had copies of DJ Hero that they probably got from the nearby Target for well over a year now, and they're still expecting over $30 for them. It's crazy.

Only decent deal I ever got out of them was a copy of FFX for $3.50 and FFXII for $2.50 (although both cases were dirty - eugh).

Went to a Good Will the other day and they had some expensive acoustic guitar in the case. They actually taped a printed out eBay Buy It Now listing that had the guitar for $400 to it to justify the $300+ price tag they put on it.

[quote name='juangrande386']My local Goodwill just let me down big time today, in the glass case they had 2 VHS copies of The Little Mermaid for....$28! and $15! I asked what the deal was and she said "they looked those up on Ebay, they have the "banned original cover"". I didnt see what she was talking about till she pointed it out, part of the castle looks like a d1ck. They even had the price tag over it like it was obvious! I said "who is going to pay $28 let alone $15 for an old VHS??"

Looked it up later and there was plenty of $10 copies that didnt sell. They obviously scrolled down and saw the Buy It Now one that sold for $25 with $3 shipping and think theyll get that. This pretty much cemented my belief that they started looking up more stuff than just glassware like before.[/QUOTE]

Stuff like that is why I started a Thrift Store Stupidity thread. I've pretty much written off GW after hearing about shopgoodwill.com, for games at least.

[quote name='spmahn']Savers is way more miss than hit, but when you do hit, it's usually a good one. I'd say for every 10 times I stop in there, I might find something worth buying once, and as noted their prices are totally inconsistant and usually laughably high. I've found valuable games there for $3, and seen crap sports games sit on the shelf for months because they put a $6 price tag on it. Generally Consoles will be very unreasonably prices, regardless of whether they come with wire and / or controllers, seeing junk like a console only PS1 or XBox with a sticker on it for $30 or more is a very frequent occurrence.

Anyone else notice the quality of the finds at the thrifts has taken a sharp decline over the last couple of months? Even this thread used to be one of the busiest on this board and now it's very slow. I make the rounds to Goodwill and Savers now once a week, but other than a copy of Monster Rancher 2 for PS1 for $3 and the Star Wars Ewoks movie for for $2, both of which I flipped for $30 each, I rarely find anything anymore.[/QUOTE]

I have definitely found alot less lately(the last few months) then i did in the beginning of the year. Seems they found out the some of these games are worth some money, so they jacked up the prices on everything.

Tomba $3.99 (2nd one this month)

Official SEALED NES controller 2pack still with hang tab $5.99. I almost flipped when I saw this :)

[quote name='lude21']Tomba $3.99 (2nd one this month)

Official SEALED NES controller 2pack still with hang tab $5.99. I almost flipped when I saw this :)[/QUOTE]

Hey ur in PA too!
Any advice on where to go? (if you don't mind haha)
I've tried 3 Goodwills and they have all been ridiculous (ex: $100 for an NES and $40 for an original xbox with no cords or controller) :wall:

[quote name='robwhois']I have definitely found alot less lately(the last few months) then i did in the beginning of the year. Seems they found out the some of these games are worth some money, so they jacked up the prices on everything.[/QUOTE]

Yup at my local store they mark up everything I have bought in the past anywhere from 2x to 15x more expensive. I used to go every day they stocked, now I only go 1 per week.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Hey ur in PA too!
I've tried 3 Goodwills and they have all been ridiculous (ex: $100 for an NES and $40 for an original xbox with no cords or controller) :wall:[/QUOTE]

I have 2 goodwills close to me that I hit. Best advice is to go every day. A couple more finds from the other day.

Zelda wind waker $4.99 CIB mint
Guncon 3 $3.99

Decided to stop into Value Village on a whim today and picked up Lakers Complete History, Smallville Seasons 4 and 5 sealed, Peanuts Christmas Special, Little Mermaid 2-disc DVD, and Cinderella Platinum collection.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Hey ur in PA too!
I've tried 3 Goodwills and they have all been ridiculous (ex: $100 for an NES and $40 for an original xbox with no cords or controller) :wall:[/QUOTE]

don't know what part of PA you are from, but we have a store in Pitt called Red White and Blue. Good finds there quite often. For example, last saturday I got

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Call of Duty Black OPs guide
Gamecube System (no controllers or cords but did have a copy of Cars inside)
Marble Madness NES

For a little under 20 bucks (19.73 with tax I think).

[quote name='sp00ge']Man, I haven't been to a Red White and Blue in at least a year. Any good finds were few and far between, and didn't justify the drive from Irwin/Murrysville.

Last time I was there, I picked up a 3DO, and it was broken. But it came with a ton of good games, including "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" which more than paid for the entire purchase.[/QUOTE]

the last month or so hasn't been too bad. Nothing really fantastic till last saturday with the pokemon games though. Was really excited when I saw a copy of Deadly Creatures for Wii and then really pissed off when I opened it up and saw nothing was inside.

I would have jumped on that 3DO too, even without that game lol.;)

[quote name='lude21']I have 2 goodwills close to me that I hit. Best advice is to go every day. A couple more finds from the other day.

Guncon 3 $3.99[/QUOTE]

...dude you are so lucky lol. The best I've ever gotten from my Goodwill was a Dreamcast for $20 and a few Mario Gamecube games for $4 each.
Do you know if Goodwill adds items daily? Or only on certain days of the week?

[quote name='MasaTFC']don't know what part of PA you are from, but we have a store in Pitt called Red White and Blue. Good finds there quite often. For example, last saturday I got

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Call of Duty Black OPs guide
Gamecube System (no controllers or cords but did have a copy of Cars inside)
Marble Madness NES

For a little under 20 bucks (19.73 with tax I think).[/QUOTE]

I'm in Central PA near Penn State. I've been to so many garage sales here and I've been to Goodwill more times than I can count... there's never anything:lol:
Good for you though maybe I'll get lucky eventually haha

Not really a thrift store, but the Pawn Shop thread seems to be gone.

Walked in and looked through a few things and noticed Ju-On The Grudge for the Wii, I was pretty sure it was worth something so I called up my brother, and this thing happens to be worth about $40-$50, so I snatched it up! Price was $14 but asked if they could do $10 out the door, which they did.

Getting harder and harder to find good deals and flips at Pawn Shops, as they've taken to checking GameStop and eBay for their prices :drool:

[quote name='lude21']I have 2 goodwills close to me that I hit. Best advice is to go every day. A couple more finds from the other day.

Guncon 3 $3.99[/QUOTE]

Maybe your local Goodwill restocks every day, but here doing that would be a waste of time. Go once a week on Wednesday when the Target stuff gets put out. Otherwise, you're just wasting time and gas.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']Not really a thrift store, but the Pawn Shop thread seems to be gone.

Walked in and looked through a few things and noticed Ju-On The Grudge for the Wii, I was pretty sure it was worth something so I called up my brother, and this thing happens to be worth about $40-$50, so I snatched it up! Price was $14 but asked if they could do $10 out the door, which they did.

Getting harder and harder to find good deals and flips at Pawn Shops, as they've taken to checking GameStop and eBay for their prices :drool:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say dead. No one hasn't really posted in a while.

Anyways. Nice pick up on the Grudge! Been looking for that for a while now, and no luck on that. :/

bread's done
Back