Thrift Store Thread 2012

Picked up Animal Crossing (GC), complete with the bonus memory card and a sealed Arrested Development Season 3 for $1/ea yesterday. I also picked up a Capcom Fighter Power Stick GS for $5.

One of my normal haunts today I walk in and see an xbox, the guy tells me he wants it gone really cheap. First he said 5 for the bin, but talked himself down to 4.

It included:
xbox and all cords
xbox controller s
2 psyclone controllers (wireless)
1 unknown wireless controller
recievers
2 games (a tiger woods and crimson skies)

Overall, the wireless controllers and the xbox work great, the games and only official controller, not so much.
I missed out on lego star wars original saga? kid grabbed it ahead of me for 50 cents, I hope it worked for him.

Non xbox in the lot:
nes track and field 2
ds lite official charger

nothing at my local thrift stores for a while now just crappy PS2/Xbox games and the usual PS1 systems for $15-$20, Goodwill also has a Gamecube with no cords or controllers sold "as-is" for $9.99 but meh. Either most stuff is being sold instead of donated or I'm just getting beat to it.

My main goodwill has been pretty meh lately too. Sports games, random sims/kids pc games, etc. Prices on some things have gone up too and there are more media items in the case, including used copies of World of Warcraft and expansions for $10 each (which as far as I know, are useless as the cd keys have surely been used).

Recent pickups:
PSOne console only $3
Original gameboy (looks great but dead lines in the screen) $6
Castlevania Adventure $3

Our local GW's are hit/miss like everyone else's it seems. Today I think I did well, got all of these for $21:

Bionicle Heroes for GC - complete
Animal crossing for GC - disc & case
Zoids Battle Legends for GC - complete
Kirby's Air Ride for GC - disc & case
Star Fox Adventures for GC disc & case
Yu-Gi-Oh The Falsebound Kingdom for GC - disc & case

The bonus was Medal of Honor Frontline for GC. I was going to leave
it behind, but it looked lonely. Opened it when I got home
and found Mario Party 4! Good thing I didn't leave it behind!

I check Goodwill 3-4 times a week and haven't found anything in months. Today I found a decent conditioned Beyond Good & Evil on Gamecube for only $1.06. All the other games were $5.06. The manager looked at me like I switched the tags.

I got some time off and I hear you can volunteer in the back room there and I'm gonna look into that. I'm sick of getting there and finding 10 sports games NES to current.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I check Goodwill 3-4 times a week and haven't found anything in months. Today I found a decent conditioned Beyond Good & Evil on Gamecube for only $1.06. All the other games were $5.06. The manager looked at me like I switched the tags.

I got some time off and I hear you can volunteer in the back room there and I'm gonna look into that. I'm sick of getting there and finding 10 sports games NES to current.[/QUOTE]

I hear volunteers aren't allowed to hold items to purchase for later, so you may want to look into that first.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I hear volunteers aren't allowed to hold items to purchase for later, so you may want to look into that first.[/QUOTE]

That and many thrift stores don't allow employees to shop on days they work, only on their scheduled days off. This prevents hiding stuff to buy when you get off.

[quote name='sp00ge']That and many thrift stores don't allow employees to shop on days they work, only on their scheduled days off. This prevents hiding stuff to buy when you get off.[/QUOTE]

YMMV, this has come up in past discussions, and while official policy may be that employees can't purchase stuff until it's on the floor, others have confirmed that it happens and is tolerated at a lot of stores. I think it's a bit naive to think that items don't walk out the back door of a business like a thrift store, whether that's right or wrong, I suppose it's just a perk of working there. I've worked part time at the movies for over a decade now, and have seen hundreds of films, often before they are released to the public, and never paid a dime, it's just one of the perks of the job.

Savers it has to be on the floor for 2 days before employees can purchase. They offer me a job every time I am in there to be their 'game guy'.

3 DualShock 2 controllers, 2 silver 1 black- $3 apiece. Now my $10 PS2 from a couple weeks ago is complete and I have a 2nd controller for myself.

[quote name='spmahn']YMMV, this has come up in past discussions, and while official policy may be that employees can't purchase stuff until it's on the floor, others have confirmed that it happens and is tolerated at a lot of stores. I think it's a bit naive to think that items don't walk out the back door of a business like a thrift store, whether that's right or wrong, I suppose it's just a perk of working there. I've worked part time at the movies for over a decade now, and have seen hundreds of films, often before they are released to the public, and never paid a dime, it's just one of the perks of the job.[/QUOTE]

Lord knows if I were volunteering and something like Earthbound came in and the store priced all the games at a couple bucks each or so, and I knew they wouldn't let me buy it, I'd pocket it and donate the money later.

[quote name='juangrande386']3 DualShock 2 controllers, 2 silver 1 black- $3 apiece. Now my $10 PS2 from a couple weeks ago is complete and I have a 2nd controller for myself.[/QUOTE]
For $2 more apiece you coulda had new/sealed ones from Kmart and/or Sears. They clearanced them out a while ago. I have a single black and a single silver sitting here sealed in case I ever need them.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']For $2 more apiece you coulda had new/sealed ones from Kmart and/or Sears. They clearanced them out a while ago. I have a single black and a single silver sitting here sealed in case I ever need them.;)[/QUOTE]

$25 online and at my Kmart. Even my local Sears that died last month still had everything waaaay overpriced compared to Amazon.

[quote name='juangrande386']$25 online and at my Kmart. Even my local Sears that died last month still had everything waaaay overpriced compared to Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Damn. Really? The silver ones were clearanced a couple of years ago actually at Kmart. It was only the black ones that recently clearanced at Sears.

I thought I found a boxed copy of Paper Mario for $3, but when I opened the box to check there was no manual I saw a blue cart.
Turns out it was Hydro Thunder though, so it wasn't all bad.

[quote name='boyboy1080']my previous find from one of the thrift stores i go to

CA66A0F0-02BB-0B14-7C78766B220C31F1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm just really curious how much you paid. If you don't want to say, I understand.

[quote name='spmahn']YMMV, this has come up in past discussions, and while official policy may be that employees can't purchase stuff until it's on the floor, others have confirmed that it happens and is tolerated at a lot of stores. I think it's a bit naive to think that items don't walk out the back door of a business like a thrift store, whether that's right or wrong, I suppose it's just a perk of working there. I've worked part time at the movies for over a decade now, and have seen hundreds of films, often before they are released to the public, and never paid a dime, it's just one of the perks of the job.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I can confirm this at value village (aka savers). I saw a dell desktop computer (priced at $20) taken out from the back room and place on the shelve and while I was looking at it, a different employee came out and took the computer back into the back room.

NiCv3.jpg

Some guy was apparently walking around with it because he threw it back in the big pile of CDs right next to me as I was standing in line buying one t-shirt. I wanted to tell him what a great deal it was and that he should jump all over it, but what came out was "MINE NOW." It was in there with a copy of MGS while The Naked Brothers Band DS gets locked up in the case.

i picked up these games at a goodwill the other day for $2 each all of them are sealed except the tennis game and the tales game and a few are korean the others japanese, i was wondering if any of them are special and if anyone can help me with what games they actually are.

a01863f1.jpg
5a6d528c.jpg

[quote name='michaelgetsboss']i picked up these games at a goodwill the other day for $2 each all of them are sealed except the tennis game and the tales game and a few are korean the others japanese, i was wondering if any of them are special and if anyone can help me with what games they actually are.

a01863f1.jpg
5a6d528c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Don't think any of them are special, could be wrong though. Pretty cool find though. Wish I could find import games, then I'd have more games to play on my Japanese PS3.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Don't think any of them are special, could be wrong though. Pretty cool find though. Wish I could find import games, then I'd have more games to play on my Japanese PS3.[/QUOTE]

oh well, thanks for letting me know though! they're still pretty cool to have i always wonder where stuff like this comes from, who just has a bunch of sealed korean and japanese ps2 games and donates them?

[quote name='michaelgetsboss']oh well, thanks for letting me know though! they're still pretty cool to have i always wonder where stuff like this comes from, who just has a bunch of sealed korean and japanese ps2 games and donates them?[/QUOTE]

The ones on there I know of are still worth more than what you paid, like Tales of Destiny 2 usually goes for $15 and Summon Night I've seen for $20-30. A few of those I don't really know what they are, like one looks like a Dragon Quest or Akira Toriyama game, but I'm on my phone and can't enlarge the pics.

Ohhhh I didn't read they were sealed. Hmmm, I was looking at used prices. There are some people on this forum who can read Japanese to tell you the titles or are familiar with those games to tell you what they're
worth.

Edit: That one game next to Star Ocean is a Dragon Quest game called Dragon Quest Characters Torneko 3

Found a sealed nes cleaning kit with Mario on the cover. Have no clue how to value it. Would love to sell it but have no clue where to do it.

[quote name='michaelgetsboss']i picked up these games at a goodwill the other day for $2 each all of them are sealed except the tennis game and the tales game and a few are korean the others japanese, i was wondering if any of them are special and if anyone can help me with what games they actually are.

a01863f1.jpg
5a6d528c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow. You did really well! Here is a few of those on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-ATELIER...9263?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c6275a95f

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Star-Ocean-...rectors-Cut-Sony-PlayStation-2-2004-/56262097

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Tennis-no-OujiSama-Smash-Hit-Sony-PlayStation-2-2003-/56225624

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Dragon-Ques...ous-Dungeon-Sony-PlayStation-2-2002-/56249326

Decent day, happy with it:

Thunderstrike (Sega CD): 3.40
Ground Zero (Sega CD): 3.40
Ultimate Fighting Championship (Dreamcast): .85
Twisted Metal (PS1): 2.50
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (PS2): 2.50
Tee Off (Dreamcast): 1.99
Crash Team Racing (PS1): 1.99
Namco Museum Volume 3 (PS1): 1.99
6 Genesis Games (Road Rash II, Caesar's Palace, Joe Montana Sports Talk Football, NHL 95, PGA Tour 96, Combat Cars): 2.99

The Seventh Seal (Criterion): 1.99

Glad to grab the Sega CD games, I never see them in the wild. Both are complete in box, including the foam. Great shape cases for Sega CD too, one has a small crack in the back but quite small, the other is perfect. Neither worth that much, but glad to have them. Now I just need the system for a good price... Also glad to get a pair of Dreamcast games, don't see those often either. They had a bunch of other Dreamcast games but they were all sports titles I had. Grabbed those despite the fact that I may well never play them as the Dreamcast is the only system I want to someday have a complete set for.

Last edited by a moderator:
just picked this up for around 15 bucks.

IMG_20120709_103143.jpg

Atari Plug and Play - $4.50
Slingbox - $7.00
Diddy Kong Racing - $1.50
1080 - 50 cents
Streets or Rage - $1.50

I found a ultra rare at the Goodwill today for $8.00.
Don't know if it works. It is in good condition. If anybody knows where I
can get a power adapter for it, PM me.

CAM00206.jpg

[quote name='zekeike']I found a ultra rare at the Goodwill today for $8.00.

CAM00206.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Jealousy sets in... I've always wanted one of these! The GW here doesn't carry anything that's good and game related, I always end up finding sports games and tons of PC games.

Nice score, it's rare but I wonder if it's really worth the $400 asking price at original retail, considering the original Sega CD failed. Wikipedia also says this thing also has a hard time trying to play a few games due to the heavy video or something.

Some threads say that a Genesis M2 adapter would work, but some also say that it will damage the console over time due to not enough power being supplied.

[quote name='zekeike']I found a ultra rare at the Goodwill today for $8.00.

CAM00206.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Frak. I saw one of these a few months ago at a GW near me. They were asking $100. Speaks volumes for the ones around me.

LOL my find sucks in general but definitely after the CDX.

$6- Brand new Intec rechargable battery and charger stand for the original GBA. Now I have a battery cover for that Target GBA I found.

My thrift store finds have been solid lately, and actually have been outperforming my yard sale finds in the last month or so.

SDC11093.jpg

These were found here and there in May/June at various thrifts in my area. I won't give you a price per game breakdown, but every game was between $4 and $6 when purchased (the SNES games are hard to make out, but are Yoshi's Island, Brain Lord, and Adventures of Batman and Robin). I even got the DS for 4 dollars at a Goodwill, after some hispanic guy walking around with it couldn't get it to turn on and didn't want to chance it. I snagged it when he picked it up, charged it when I got home, and it worked like a charm. I've also found numerous SNES/GBA SP/n64 power and tv cords recently, each for $2 or $3 or so.

SDC11095.jpg

I got really lucky on timing with this lot about a month ago. I found it all at once, right around 2pm at a very high traffic thrift store. Resellers from far and wide hit this store every weekday afternoon, which is when this store puts out new stuff. I walked in and made a beeline for the video game area near the front desk, and noticed a rubbermaid tub full of cds and n64 games behind the counter. I grabbed a hand cart and filled it with every worthwhile n64 game they had. Another reseller guy, who I see now and then at this same store, noticed what I was doing, but he was too late really, and he knew it. I left a few sports games for scraps, but he didn't bother. Thrifting is so dog eat dog at that store, its funny. It sucks to get beat. Every game was 90 cents!

SDC11192.jpg

Same thrift store as the previous picture, except this time I walked in Saturday evening (which is generally not the best time to find good stuff). Apparently, they must have decided to put out a bunch of CD-type stuff, because I found all of these games mixed in with the CDs. Every game was complete and mint or really close. Again, I left the 2k sports games, and only took the winners. Dreamcast games were 90 cents, PS games were $1.90. I had a very small Dreamcast collection prior to this purchase, and I just tripled it.

Keep your thriftin' hand strong!

I made an uncommon Tuesday night stop at the local GW, while waiting for Chinese takeout next door, and boy am I glad I did! Picked these up for $1/each, as they were labeled and priced with the VHS tapes.

There are a few rather worthless (but still complete) ones I picked up as well, just not pictured. I also picked up Friends Seasons 1-9 for $2/ea for my fiance. Other $1 finds were Star Trek Elite Force 2 and SW Battlefront 2, both PC.

[quote name='sp00ge']I made an uncommon Tuesday night stop at the local GW, while waiting for Chinese takeout next door, and boy am I glad I did! Picked these up for $1/each, as they were labeled and priced with the VHS tapes.

There are a few rather worthless (but still complete) ones I picked up as well, just not pictured. I also picked up Friends Seasons 1-9 for $2/ea for my fiance. Other $1 finds were Star Trek Elite Force 2 and SW Battlefront 2, both PC.[/QUOTE]

Find of the year right there! :applause:

[quote name='slowdive21']Find of the year right there! :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I felt like a kid in a candy store when I found them. I'm mostly excited about LTTP, my fiance wants me to sell it, but I want to keep it, since it's one of my favorite games of all time.

[quote name='sp00ge']Yeah, I felt like a kid in a candy store when I found them. I'm mostly excited about LTTP, my fiance wants me to sell it, but I want to keep it, since it's one of my favorite games of all time.[/QUOTE]

Those kinds of finds are my favorite . . . when you least expect it. So cool (for you).

I bought a used copy of "A Link to the Past" back in the day and traded it in and then I was in this little shop in Chinatown (NYC circa 1995) and saw a pile of $10 copies (at least 10 of them). I bought one and of course opened it and still have it . . . it was an authentic copy. Why didn't I buy them all and store them away??

BTW, all the Salvation Army stores in my area really, really suck--they used to be OK with a normal amount of finds here or there. I've been meaning to talk to the regional manager about where the good stuff goes. I did find some decent sealed CDs yesterday for flipping and I bought 3 copies of one title. He was actually at the register at my store (filling in) and made a joke about me wanting to listen to it 3 times. I was almost offended but instead just said that I sell online. Suddenly he starts telling me about his ebay exploits. The guy is getting paid AND has a tight grip on all the regional stores. He actually told me he'd do the job for free just for the access. Good for him but it explains why I rarely see anything good hit the shelves anymore.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Why's that?[/QUOTE]

It was the way he said it . . . the tone, expression, and context. I don't know the guy, but he was coming off as a major asshole.

I was able to pick up some friendliness in it and adjust. The fact that I'm not overly sensitive is the only thing that turned it into a pleasant conversation.

[quote name='schultzed']It was the way he said it . . . the tone, expression, and context. I don't know the guy, but he was coming off as a major asshole.

I was able to pick up some friendliness in it and adjust. The fact that I'm not overly sensitive is the only thing that turned it into a pleasant conversation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sounds like the guy has some nerve, saying that while he has his hand in the cookie jar. I think what bugs me the most is that you see organizations that used to be a charities now becoming just another fat contract--a form of corporate welfare for the few.

Yeah there is a religious thrift store that I used to get games at, but now there is a game collector that works there. He buys the good stuff and it never hits the shelves. His wife works there too and buys the "rare and valuable' books.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Yeah, it sounds like the guy has some nerve, saying that while he has his hand in the cookie jar. I think what bugs me the most is that you see organizations that used to be a charities now becoming just another fat contract--a form of corporate welfare for the few.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I wonder how much longer they could keep that "not for profit" status. Especially GW.

Thanks guys for the info on the CDX. It powers on and works. Only tried the SEGA CD.
I picked up an AC adapter (9.0 volt) at Radio Shack, they didn't have the 9.5 volt but it worked. I don't want to burn it out, so I'll just test again and
leave it alone.
CAM00210.jpg

CAM00213.jpg
CAM00218.jpg
CAM00219.jpg

bread's done
Back