Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='slowdive21']^^There is a religious thrift store near me and the guy who works there prices and buys the good video games. But yeah there is a guy who used to work at my savers who collects games because they went from 99 cents each to 9.99-49.99 each. He got transferred to another store, so now the games are around 4.99-5.99 each. Still too high for most items.[/QUOTE]
the savers i went to (over a year ago now) used to have some good prices on games. .99 to 4.99. The game guy knew me and that i'd come in on fridays. he would put stuff out right around that time and i used to snatch up some good shit. I miss that.

[quote name='juangrande386']I wouldve gave him the old middle finger as I walked out just cus! What a douchbag.[/QUOTE]

I agree! Seriously, like wtf. That guy calling you out minutes before the transaction is complete? Total bs. Even moar if they took it back and increased the price cause of him.

[quote name='Olengie']I agree! Seriously, like wtf. That guy calling you out minutes before the transaction is complete? Total bs. Even moar if they took it back and increased the price cause of him.[/QUOTE]

Some people are total dicks, and if they don't want anyone to get a good deal. If it hadn't been at the one game store that i liked i would have offered the one guy more for a trade-in that the store would have given him, but that is another story.

[quote name='Kovorkian']Some people are total dicks, and if they don't want anyone to get a good deal. If it hadn't been at the one game store that i liked i would have offered the one guy more for a trade-in that the store would have given him, but that is another story.[/QUOTE]

Yeap. Rather ruin it for others

I stopped by Half Price Books today to use my last 15% off coupon and found a bunch of good stuff. The deals weren't anything terribly amazing, but they were all reasonably priced and were things I was very happy to find. Here's some of the stuff I picked up:

Biomega manga, vol. 1-6 ($6 each)
Q-Ko-Chan manga vol. 1 hardcover edition ($2)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Genndy Tartakovsky) vol. 1 and 2 ($7 each)
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice ($15)

The most surprising thing I found though was a Japanese copy of Ace Attorney 3 for $5.

Not really a thift store(Mega Media Xchange) but here it is:
Castlevania Adventures
Fist of the North
Kirby's Dreamland
Wizards and Warriors X: Forest of Fear
All Gameboy all for $15 after tax

Guess Im on a Gamecube roll now.....which I like better than my PS2 roll I was on.

$3 each-
Luigis Mansion- complete, even the Nintendo Power ad is in the case

Another Animal Crossing- Complete except memory card

Super Smash Bros Melee- same as Luigis Mansion

The Legend Of Zelda Windwaker- same as Luigis Mansion

Saw Super Mario Sunshine disc in the cd binder but I didnt see the case on the shelf. There was tons of blues tubs full of stuff so I probably missed it. Ill be stopping by again, cant pass up a $3 SMS even if I just bought the $4 copy the other day.

My GW finally got another shipment Target clearance games and ended up with three copies of Invizimals Shadow Zone (with camera), three copies of Cars 2 :psp: and two copies of 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa :ps3:, all for $3/ea. Keeping one of each and the rest are going to Amazon or Best Buy.

Just stopped by my local goodwill and picked up

-Yoshi's Island (SNES) $2
-The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC) $3
-Amazing Island (GC) $3
-Tomb Raider 3 (PS1) $2

[quote name='juangrande386']Guess Im on a Gamecube roll now.....which I like better than my PS2 roll I was on.

$3 each-
Luigis Mansion- complete, even the Nintendo Power ad is in the case

Another Animal Crossing- Complete except memory card

Super Smash Bros Melee- same as Luigis Mansion

The Legend Of Zelda Windwaker- same as Luigis Mansion

Saw Super Mario Sunshine disc in the cd binder but I didnt see the case on the shelf. There was tons of blues tubs full of stuff so I probably missed it. Ill be stopping by again, cant pass up a $3 SMS even if I just bought the $4 copy the other day.[/QUOTE]

Almost bought a copy of windwaker and SMS today at my pawn shop. I probably could have gotten them $1 a piece because he hadn't priced them yet but the condition of the cases were pretty bad.

Too late now, he started looking them up on ebay as I left.

I always hit the movie shelf last but I glanced over and saw the Gamecube cases on top of the PS2 crap games that have been there so I walked over. im like "spyro, spyro, another spyro, madden 05, ohhhh Windwaker!.....and Luigis Mansion non Players Choice!" Then I saw a stack of DVDs in a bin and found the other 2 mixed in. Really wish there was some Resident Evils or Pikmin 2, that wouldve been nice.

[quote name='juangrande386']I always hit the movie shelf last but I glanced over and saw the Gamecube cases on top of the PS2 crap games that have been there so I walked over. im like "spyro, spyro, another spyro, madden 05, ohhhh Windwaker!.....and Luigis Mansion non Players Choice!" Then I saw a stack of DVDs in a bin and found the other 2 mixed in. Really wish there was some Resident Evils or Pikmin 2, that wouldve been nice.[/QUOTE]

Did you pass on the Spyro's? Some of them are flip-worthy.

got pokemon snap, a random atari 5200 game (bought it as a novelty being the first atari game I've found in the wild)

2 players guides (crash bandicoot & resident evil)

all of it $2

Was able to find a cd-i in a small pawn shop/thrift store. This is the only listing on ebay that I could find of the model I got. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-CDI...0943391583?pt=Video_Games&hash=item19d4bdcf5f The system only came with power cord but I still think it was worth it. Oh and they also had an arcade machine that was working but I didn't get to look at the name. He was only asking $60 for it and I might have to go back later and pick it up if the game is a decent one.

[quote name='xenozfan2']Was able to find a cd-i in a small pawn shop/thrift store. This is the only listing on ebay that I could find of the model I got. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-CDI...0943391583?pt=Video_Games&hash=item19d4bdcf5f The system only came with power cord but I still think it was worth it. Oh and they also had an arcade machine that was working but I didn't get to look at the name. He was only asking $60 for it and I might have to go back later and pick it up if the game is a decent one.[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous if you get ANY cabinet for $60.00. I've been watching a few around me and they're never less than 500-600 which is way too much for me to get.

I stopped by a local thrift store today, found these for $35:

The Lost Vikings
Aliens vs Predator
Final Fight
Super Bomberman
Sonic Blast Man
Lord of the Rings
Gotcha Force

The SNES games are nice and minty, and I'm glad to finally snag Final Fight in great shape. I knew Gotcha Force was rare, but not $30-40 rare.

[quote name='leecy']I stopped by a local thrift store today, found these for $35:

The Lost Vikings
Aliens vs Predator
Final Fight
Super Bomberman
Sonic Blast Man
Lord of the Rings
Gotcha Force

The SNES games are nice and minty, and I'm glad to finally snag Final Fight in great shape. I knew Gotcha Force was rare, but not $30-40 rare.[/QUOTE]

I bought Gotcha Force a long time ago when I still worked at GS and stupidly sold it, and since then haven't found a complete copy in good shape at all.

But the thing I'm most jealous of you finding is that AvP game ahha, I love that game, it's the beat em up right?

[quote name='tuffguycore']
But the thing I'm most jealous of you finding is that AvP game ahha, I love that game, it's the beat em up right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a beat em up. I haven't made it very far in it; I loved Final Fight when I was a kid though. My brother and I got the Super Nintendo soon after it came out and that was the game he picked to get with it. It's still hard for me to beat too; I've only done it a few times.

I managed to "Snag" Pokémon Colosseum from one of the local Goodwills today for $3. Doesn't have the original manual, but the disc plays just fine. I've been wanting this game for awhile now.

[quote name='tuffguycore']I'm jealous if you get ANY cabinet for $60.00. I've been watching a few around me and they're never less than 500-600 which is way too much for me to get.[/QUOTE]
Seriously. As long as it's in decent shape, $60 is worth it for any game cabinet.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Seriously. As long as it's in decent shape, $60 is worth it for any game cabinet.[/QUOTE]

Well if my money ever comes in on my half.com trades I will buy it and post some pics.

Sold my Nobunaga's Ambition 2 for $50 this week. Went back to Game Xchange and picked up Megaman and Bubble Bobble for Game Gear which both should be good flips.

Also at Savers I took a chance on a Roomba iRobot for $20 and a brand new copy of Dallas Season 8 for 5 bucks.

Had my first good thrift store find in a long time.

Fat ps2 with cables, controller and memory card for $15.

Good deal because I needed a ps2 controller and could not find one for less than $15. Also needed some official Sony cables to include with a mini psone I was trading to amazon.

Extra bonus is the ps2 works better than the one I had already, which was giving disc read errors before I fixed it.

Plays everything fine, cd games, DVD games, dual layer games, psone.

Nice to find something reasonably priced at a goodwill. When I saw it in the case I expected them to be charging $40 or so.

Walked into a random thrift store today and found an xbox360 slim console for $20.

It had no cables or hard drive so I took it to my friend's house and used his cables to test it. The console ran perfectly and when I ejected the disc drive it had Modern Warfare 3 in it. :D!!!!

Edit: Btw does anybody know where I can get a power cable for this thing for cheap?

[quote name='tuffguycore']I'm jealous if you get ANY cabinet for $60.00. I've been watching a few around me and they're never less than 500-600 which is way too much for me to get.[/QUOTE]

Ever searched for or gone to an arcade auction? They hold one bi-monthly in Winston-Salem, NC and they usually end up giving away fully functional cabinets at the end - they're impractically large cabinets, though. For instance, they gave away a Jurassic Park III machine last time. My company bought a multi-cade machine for our office with 320 games (CAVE shooters, beat-em-ups, and fighters only) for $275.

Its been a while since i found something decent at the goodwill. But today was good.

found this
1E5FA176-29A3-4CB5-A244-8ACFCB3712B1-3819-000002BEFFFBD516_zps676a5917.jpg

Final Fantasy III
Zelda
Mario World
Killer Instanct
Mario Kart
Sim City

Each one was 1.99

[quote name='kobun']Its been a while since i found something decent at the goodwill. But today was good.

found this

Final Fantasy III
Zelda
Mario World
Killer Instanct
Mario Kart
Sim City

Each one was 1.99[/QUOTE]

Jackpot. I wonder if they were donated due to dead batteries. I have 3 LTTPs that all need a new battery. Just dont have the time to get that done.

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Jackpot. I wonder if they were donated due to dead batteries. I have 3 LTTPs that all need a new battery. Just dont have the time to get that done.[/QUOTE]

Just tested, they all worked, and had working saves.

replacing dead batteries on games is easy. I ve done about 10 or so pokemon games all soldered, which is the correct way to replace them..

My Xbox broke last week, so I started calling around to places to find a new one. Found a mom and pop store in a nearby town that was a day away from closing it's doors for good and got a brand new LE Halo:Reach Xbox with the 250GB HD for only $150.

I don't really care about Halo, but my buddy is a huge fan and was so mad the console was wasted on me lol. They had so many amazing deals, and almost all of their game stuff was still there. I didn't have any more money though :( They even gave me a few various PSP travel cases for free.

[quote name='Doomstink']Ever searched for or gone to an arcade auction? They hold one bi-monthly in Winston-Salem, NC and they usually end up giving away fully functional cabinets at the end - they're impractically large cabinets, though. For instance, they gave away a Jurassic Park III machine last time. My company bought a multi-cade machine for our office with 320 games (CAVE shooters, beat-em-ups, and fighters only) for $275.[/QUOTE]

There's not much near me far as that kind of stuff is concerned. I think the closest one I've seen near my area is like 2 hours away, so that's kind of out of the question.

[quote name='leecy']Yeah, it's a beat em up. I haven't made it very far in it; I loved Final Fight when I was a kid though. My brother and I got the Super Nintendo soon after it came out and that was the game he picked to get with it. It's still hard for me to beat too; I've only done it a few times.[/QUOTE]

Most beat em ups are hard as hell, especially for me as I've gotten older. Couldn't tell you why, maybe because I don't choose to play on easy now haha.

AvP I just remember it being awesome with all the weapons and the different shit you got to kill. And I feel like it was a decent length at that.

Saw a good condition copy of Rollcage for PSone at Goodwill for $2.00 I was tempted to buy. Loved it as a Wipeout spinoff back in the day, but knew that I would probably never end up playing it anyways. That seems to happen most of I time I see a good but not great game at GW.

Viewtiful Joe-$3, game case booklet (why wouldnt I have a Gamecube game again :p)

Portal 2 Xbox 360-$4, I think Goodwill actually opened it. No plastic wrap but an unripped Xbox sticker over the spine.

Disney Universe- Same as P2.

I have P2 on Steam and I would never play DU, looks like a $22.70 Amazon trade for the 360 games. Viewtiful Joe is goin on the shelf.

Most things from the summer:

8021775837_e816270cf6_z.jpg

$0.75 each at little thrift down the street. All complete. Never much there but when there is stuff it's SUPER cheap.

8021771743_f7127aa86a_z.jpg

$0.09 story below

So I'm browsing Salvation Army and looking to the sorting area I noticed a couple boxed N64 games. This and ECW hardcore wrestling. Have you ever tried asking the employees to price something that hasn't been put out yet. Like pulling fucking teeth. Long story short they put out the games but this isn't there so I ask about it. The lady tells me there was no game in it so they were going to throw it away. I ask to buy just the box and this other lady is like "I don't think we can sell just the box." Are you kidding me? So the manager agrees to sell it to me for 9 cents. I ended up buying a cart only from a little store I dump my junk games at for store credit for $40 (37 of which I used store credit for) Added to my personal collection.

8021743925_b5783a92f4_z.jpg

Spyro: year of the dragon - $1.99
Everything else in the little case - $9.99

8021748259_2d5af3de01_z.jpg

Risk - $1.99
Mario Guide - $0.29

8021752936_469a785f4e_z.jpg

Just Dance Kids 2 - $1.99 (cashier thought it was a DVD I think)
All other games $3.99 (the one with the glare is Castlevania)
Pokedex - $1.99

8021951470_2dd6a60b46.jpg

$5.99 - needed a little cleaning up but works fine.

8021780964_09eb3b8d80.jpg

8021778052_16a01e9ee7_z.jpg

$9 - at a consignment shop

I'm sure I forgot a few things but that was the good stuff as far as I can remember.

[quote name='GoldFly']

8021780964_09eb3b8d80.jpg

8021778052_16a01e9ee7_z.jpg

$9 - at a consignment shop

I'm sure I forgot a few things but that was the good stuff as far as I can remember.[/QUOTE]

I started thinking about how I'd murder you for the Sega CD and lethal enforcers, but then that led me down a weird train of thought about mugging people for their games. 0_o

edit: thanks to you I have a couple CIB lethal enforcers on my ebay watch list now. >.

Last edited by a moderator:
goldfly, you may want to lock in those disc only ps1 games and n64 games on AZ. You should get $21 each for oddworld, 007,castlevania, Crash, etc. Hmm, that lethal enforcers looks familiar...

Went to two local thrift stores I never go to yesterday and scored!

6it9ud.jpg

$4 each.. never even heard of these games, but couldn't resist myself since they were all CIB

ay5buh.jpg

Sega genesis games = $4 each, all CIB
Wii Goldeneye = $5 sealed NIB
PS1 Crash Bandicoot Warped= $2 CIB

also saw a bunch of gamecubes for $15

EDIT:
wow the trade in value on amazon for crash is $30, might have to do that

[quote name='evuong']Went to two local thrift stores I never go to yesterday and scored!

6it9ud.jpg

$4 each.. never even heard of these games, but couldn't resist myself since they were all CIB

ay5buh.jpg

Sega genesis games = $4 each, all CIB
Wii Goldeneye = $5 sealed NIB
PS1 Crash Bandicoot Warped= $2 CIB

also saw a bunch of gamecubes for $15

EDIT:
wow the trade in value on amazon for crash is $30, might have to do that[/QUOTE]

I actually just got a players guide for Crash Bandicoot Warped at my thrift store. lol.

Not exactly a thrift but went to People Play Games in Chicago today. AMAZING store. Picked up some solid deals:

Silhouette Mirage (ps1): 15.99
Shenmue 2 (Xbox): 7.99
Sonic Pocket Adventure (Neo Geo Pocket Color): 5.99
Bonks Adventure (Turbografx) 10.99
Bloody Wolf (Turbografx) 11.99

I was happy with the prices.

[quote name='slowdive21']goldfly, you may want to lock in those disc only ps1 games and n64 games on AZ. You should get $21 each for oddworld, 007,castlevania, Crash, etc. Hmm, that lethal enforcers looks familiar...[/QUOTE]

Thank you! What in the world is going on with these trade in values? They were just giving out $21 in credit for NHL 12 right before 13 came out. I don't understand how it's used and new starting at $4 and trade-in credit is $21 disc only for Oddworld. Can anyone explain this?

bread's done
Back