Time Crisis 4 out now, IGN - 8.0

[quote name='enzoshadow']Amazon raise the price back to 89$. I guess I won't be getting this game for awhile....[/QUOTE]

most other places like Best Buy have it for $79 though...use a 10% off coupon - that's my plan.

Ugh, the $89 price tag works for those guitar games since they're still new games, with plenty of song content, but that price just won't work if you're just rehashing an older game, and tacking on a lifeless FPS mode.

[quote name='ddp72984']so, I understand the theory, but officially, has it been confirmed that Guncon 3 is not backwards compatible?[/QUOTE]It hasn't been confirmed, but that's probably going to be the first thing I test when I get it.

Price went back to 79.99 on amazon for those who are interested.
I guess I will pull the trigger this time, before the price went up again.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Oh jeez, Gameplay not looking good, Guncon3 not BC, what's next? :roll:[/QUOTE]

No wireless Guncon? Oh wait, that was already known.

FPS mode isn't required I believe.
[quote name='Inf^Shini']Oh jeez, Gameplay not looking good, Guncon3 not BC, what's next? :roll:[/QUOTE]
The problem is that since previous Guncon games were built on a different technology, the only way Guncon3 would work is to completely redo the sensing in previous Guncon games. Well, basically, it's technically impossible to make it work, since Guncon3 uses two sensors, while the previous Guncons required a CRT TV.

Impressions sound all right. The entire reason Namco Bandai is bringing this to PS3 is because Sony manufacturers the gun for them. Also, Namco Bandai isn't redoing the graphics because they want to keep development costs low (redoing the graphics for a niche series, which will barely sell in the first place, would be suicide).

If you all wanted a wireless guitar, the game would cost $110.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The problem is that since previous Guncon games were built on a different technology, the only way Guncon3 would work is to completely redo the sensing in previous Guncon games. Well, basically, it's technically impossible to make it work, since Guncon3 uses two sensors, while the previous Guncons required a CRT TV.[/QUOTE]Not true.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/689/689009p1.html

If I remember properly, old lightguns basically took a picture of the screen when you pulled the trigger. Switching to the new LCD, Plasma, and other screen types in TVs was a problem mainly because those other TVs had different refresh rates, or methods of drawing the screen, resulting in the information that the gun used to track its shots being garbled in the image it took.

It's not technically impossible to get old lightgun games workin with the new guncon. However, it's not as simple as making the guncon 3 "backwards compatable". The fact is, those old lightgun games were written completely with the old lightgun tech in mind, as such, you'd have to have a programming team go in to hack apart the old gun tracking code, then hack in a method where it reads the new guncon coordinates and translates them into the game's native coordinates.

This means you'd have to pay a team to do it.

I suppose one theoretical way of handling a universal backwards compatability for old gun games is to run them with some kind of code wrapper, something like a screenshot utility where whenever the player pulls the trigger on the guncon 3, the system takes note of where the guncon is aiming, then takes a screenshot that's at the appropriate spot where the gun would be aiming, then feeds that data back to the game as if it were an older lightgun.

TMK is both right and wrong on this matter. It's not as simple as it seems, but it's still possible. Heck, it may even be required for someone to port these games if they want the guncon 3 to be successful. It's clear that they weren't willing to risk money on a full game. So the best they can do now is try to get other developers to support it.

Arcade Mode alone makes this worth the price of admission, for me...but given how the other aspects of the game have apparently turned out (based on videos and those brief impressions), it's no longer a day-one purchase for me. I still plan to buy it, though...it'll be one I definitely hint about to loved ones as a possible Christmas gift, make no mistake.

ITS 89.99 everywhere BUT best buy.

BUT if you want it THE CHEAPEST...

Go to Circuit city. Have them price match it at best buy, so you get it for 78.99 (110 percent price match dealy)

Then hopefully you can find someone who has one of the circuit city cards.. saving another 7.89. Taking it down to 71.19, after tax itll be around 74.

Or if you dont have one of the cards, and plan on getting two of the games, you can get one for like 3 bucks for a year.. not a bad deal :)

I am definitely psyched about this game.. a friend pre ordered two for us at crapstop, so if they dont price match, cancelled reserves and going to CC.

[quote name='MarkMan']We got the game in early, and I'm hoping to post up impressions as early as tomorrow... :crosses fingers:[/quote]

Chill, let us know. It'll help me decide to go for it or not

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164501

Yikes, 1up absolutely tore it apart. That's quite a contrasting review to the IGN one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='1up']Having to replay an entire game from the beginning when you run out of continues might fly when it coincides with running out of change, but sitting on your couch with a wallet that's $90 lighter and staring at a "Game Over" screen due to an errant digital mosquito has got to be one of the most asininely frustrating experiences in gaming.[/quote]

Awww. Ain't that cute.

BUT IT'S WRONG!!!

According to the IGN review and history itself (TC3 and Crisis Zone on the PS2), it gives you an extra continue to use the next time you start the game. Suck hard enough, and you eventually get free play.

1up can suck my dick.

I would be all overthis, but I like lightgun games for two player coop games. To me this is two big of a investment for one game. Especailly when the Wii has several lightgun guns coming out for it. I think I will buy Ghost Squad and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles instead. If their not going to make the controller BC with old Time Crisis games at least rerelease them for PS3. I will buy if it comes down in price or they release several other gamecom3 games.

[quote name='freshzen']GameSpot 5.5
GameSpy 3.5 (out of 5 though so not too bad)
1UP 3.5
Game Informer 4.25

Yikes, I guess I'll be saving my $80.[/QUOTE]
Thats why I cancelled my amazon preorder like 5 days ago.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Awww. Ain't that cute.

BUT IT'S WRONG!!!

According to the IGN review and history itself (TC3 and Crisis Zone on the PS2), it gives you an extra continue to use the next time you start the game. Suck hard enough, and you eventually get free play.

1up can suck my dick.[/quote]

Once again. people who are vulgar and jump to conclusions and read their reviews based on others before playing the game again look stupid.

The extra continues you unlock occur when you get farther in the game. After beating Stage 1 area 2 you get a continue. And if you get to the trolley part in Stage 1 area 3 u also get another continue.

It is a very fun game.. the extras are pretty tight.

Definitely recommend to anyone who was a fan of the other TC games..

[quote name='freshzen']GameSpot 5.5
GameSpy 3.5 (out of 5 though so not too bad)
1UP 3.5
Game Informer 4.25

Yikes, I guess I'll be saving my $80.[/QUOTE]
The thing is all the complaints boil down to "It's a Time Crisis game, and I don't want to play that." They're critisizing things that are a part of the series. It's like they expected it to be a real FPS, and not a lightgun game.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The thing is all the complaints boil down to "It's a Time Crisis game, and I don't want to play that." They're critisizing things that are a part of the series. It's like they expected it to be a real FPS, and not a lightgun game.[/QUOTE]I have to agree with you there. Reviewers have been trashing the TC series for a while, and especially with all the FPS coming out, doesn't surprise me they really expected it to be that way, when it isn't.

Personally, I don't care because I like arcade style games. I think the investment will be worth it in the end, since there will be more Guncon3 games on PS3 in the future, and maybe some devs will make PSN games using it.

I want to support Namco for bringing TC4 to PS3, because I'm still pissed about them putting two PlayStation exclusive franchises on 360 (Beautiful Katamari and AC6) and not even bringing them to PS3 initially.

the more so called "pundits" says it sucks, the more I just look at user reviews. I don't trust them at ALL anymore.

Well, does ANYONE know when we can buy a 2nd gun here in the US? I checked at Gamestop yesterday, and I guess if you buy a 2nd copy of TC4 and want to trade back in JUST the game... it's only a $20 trade in. Making the purchase of a 2nd Guncon 3 $70! :(

[quote name='merkman']Well, does ANYONE know when we can buy a 2nd gun here in the US? I checked at Gamestop yesterday, and I guess if you buy a 2nd copy of TC4 and want to trade back in JUST the game... it's only a $20 trade in. Making the purchase of a 2nd Guncon 3 $70! :([/QUOTE]Right now, there isn't a 2nd Guncon3 sold separately. This is nothing new (there was never a Guncon2 sold separately). Although, it might be available for online ordering a little later.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Once again. people who are vulgar and jump to conclusions and read their reviews based on others before playing the game again look stupid.

The extra continues you unlock occur when you get farther in the game. After beating Stage 1 area 2 you get a continue. And if you get to the trolley part in Stage 1 area 3 u also get another continue.

It is a very fun game.. the extras are pretty tight.

Definitely recommend to anyone who was a fan of the other TC games..[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'm hearing different methods here, but the main theme I'm getting is that you do get more continues as you play. The review I quoted said there were no continues whatsoever. AND THAT'S WRONG!!!

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already -yeah I am a bit too lazy to read through all 8 pages I guess.

Anyways, the box says that it is good with big screen TV's up to 50"...do any of you use it on bigger TV's and does it work fine?

Mine is a 60" Sony Lcos RPTV. Never have used these types of games much before since they allways said not to use them with the big RPTV's I allways had - would like to get this one for my son (and ahem I).

Thanks,
TexTuna

[quote name='TexTuna']I'm sorry if this has been addressed already -yeah I am a bit too lazy to read through all 8 pages I guess.

Anyways, the box says that it is good with big screen TV's up to 50"...do any of you use it on bigger TV's and does it work fine?

Mine is a 60" Sony Lcos RPTV. Never have used these types of games much before since they allways said not to use them with the big RPTV's I allways had - would like to get this one for my son (and ahem I).

Thanks,
TexTuna[/QUOTE]

The gameinformer.com preview mentioned they played it on a 70" television. They weren't too crazy about the game itself, but they didn't mention any problems with playing on that particular tv. I'd post the link but their website seems to be down at the moment.

"Upcoming Video Games Deal

Gift giving Crisis? It's almost Time 4 a great video game deal. "

AHAHAHA. Hilarious.

[quote name='whoknows']So, who here is buying it for $50 in 2 hours?[/quote]

I'm in. This is like the perfect price point for me.

I can only hope that they release more games supporting the Guncon

Same here. At $90 it was fuck no for sure, at $70 I was considering it, but at $50 it's a great deal. Guncon 3+a game for less than what a new game costs? Yeah, I'm in.

Any word on when the guncon will be sold separately? I love the series, but the co-op makes it 10X more fun.

Goddamnit, $50 is tempting. Considering the reviews and that fact that the fucking gun is corded, I didn't plan on considering this for quite a while.

$50 though? Damnit.

What I understood from the reviews is that they didn't like it because it's a Time Crisis game, so if you like TC games then I say go for it, that's what I'm doing.

$50 is pretty tempting, but without any sane options for getting a second gun I think I'll pass.

Anyone have this yet who can comment on the Guncon 3? I never got to try the Guncon 2, but I was fairly disappointed with the Guncon on the PS1. I could never get it to feel as accurate as the arcade.

bread's done
Back