Tips on getting hired for a job?

RiCeBo1

CAGiversary!
Just turned 16 about last month, and am currently looking to get hired for the very first time. I applied to Target last week and got interviewed the next day but they didn't hire me, sending me a postcard saying they don't have any positions available (although their store says 'Now Hiring'). I filled out an applicatino for AMC but haven't turned it in, but am planning to either today or tomorrow. But any tips for getting a good interview? I thought I answered pretty good at Target, but I know I could've done better.

I was in the same situation you were in, luckily one of my best bud's works at restaurant and I got hired due to him talking me up.

See if any of your friends can give you some help.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I was in the same situation you were in, luckily one of my best bud's works at restaurant and I got hired due to him talking me up.

See if any of your friends can give you some help.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Talk your name up around the watercooler a la Tobias Funke.

[quote name='RiCeBo1'](although their store says 'Now Hiring').[/QUOTE]Yes, because they have a sign that says "Now Hiring," their store just has to have a position open specifically for a 16 year old. I mean, it's not like there's any other positions like night crew or something where you'd need to be 18 or have experience. No, never.

[quote name='TimPV3']Yes, because they have a sign that says "Now Hiring," their store just has to have a position open specifically for a 16 year old. I mean, it's not like there's any other positions like night crew or something where you'd need to be 18 or have experience. No, never.[/QUOTE]

Pwnt.

Just be persistent, keep looking, and do your best. Eventually, you'll luck out. This reminds me of a scene from "The Secret of My Success."

Mrs. Meacham: Outstanding! Outstanding!

Brantley Foster: You're not going to tell me I have too much experience, are you?

Mrs. Meacham: Certainly not - you're perfect for the job.

Brantley Foster: Great!

Mrs. Meacham: Except...

Brantley Foster: No! No exceptions! I want this job, I need it, I can do it. Everywhere I've been today there's always been something wrong, too young, too old, too short, too tall. Whatever the exception is, I can fix it. I can be older, I can be taller, I can be anything.

Mrs. Meacham: Can you be a minority woman?

At 16 with no experience your best bet is to put in as many apps as you can to as many places as possible and constantly check up on them.
That first job is usually the hardest to get since its a risk for the employer. They're going out on a limb for you usually.

Referee soccer or some other sport in your local league.
Here in Austin, they're desperate for whoever they can get so its not tough to get hired and its pays much better than retail.
I'm 16 as well, and this weekend, I made $70 and I refereed only 3 games (~4 hours of work).
I'd be doing even more and making more $$ if I wasnt fasting (the Texas sun is brutal, so I can't do more than 2 each day of the weekend).

[quote name='LiquidNight']Referee soccer or some other sport in your local league.
Here in Austin, they're desperate for whoever they can get so its not tough to get hired and its pays much better than retail.
I'm 16 as well, and this weekend, I made $70 and I refereed only 3 games (~4 hours of work).
I'd be doing even more and making more $$ if I wasnt fasting (the Texas sun is brutal, so I can't do more than 2 each day of the weekend).[/QUOTE]

I bet if you took bribes from coaches/parents then you'd make even more...

Try gorcery stores...

And don't smoke marajuana for like 40 days before your application, most do a drug test during the interview.

[quote name='TimPV3']Yes, because they have a sign that says "Now Hiring," their store just has to have a position open specifically for a 16 year old. I mean, it's not like there's any other positions like night crew or something where you'd need to be 18 or have experience. No, never.[/QUOTE]
You seem like a person who does retail and be jerks to customers all day

But anyways, I forgot all about grocery stores. Might try there! Thanks!

I cant get a job...

I've had alot of experience, in college, and still cant find anything.

I worked at Best Buy, EBGames, a University, a Vetenarian's office...

And I cant get hired at Circuit City Seasonal, Blockbuster or Ebgames (again).

Ergh... I wish I knew how I got hired at EBGames the first time.

Well, after someone said apply to everywhere, I did. Well, mostly grocery stores since I heard they always willing to hire high school kids. I applied to a Vons, 2 Ralph's, and a Albertsons. I applied all of them via online, but how quick do they reply to online applications? You think I have a good chance getting a job at one of those places?

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Well, after someone said apply to everywhere, I did. Well, mostly grocery stores since I heard they always willing to hire high school kids. I applied to a Vons, 2 Ralph's, and a Albertsons. I applied all of them via online, but how quick do they reply to online applications? You think I have a good chance getting a job at one of those places?[/quote]

Not online..go in there, ask for an application so they can see you, then when you turn it in ask for the manager and give it to them personally and say something about yourself.

Near me you have to apply online in super markets, they even have a computer set up for you to fill out.

And during an interview show up early, really early. 15 minutes is good. If you only show up 2-3 minutes early you won't get the job.

Personally, as a manager, I hate when people call in and ask about the "status" of their application. I tell them blah blah blah, we are looking at it, but in reality, what I want to say is "It's sitting in a pile among 30 other applications as well. Oh, you turned it in 2 weeks ago? Well, obviously, we haven't seen anything spectacular in your application to call YOU, so you're outta luck until we decide to actually hire someone"

But legally, every store HAS to take an application, regardless of "Now Hiring" signs or not, so just drop apps off everywhere. Or try snagajob.com, thats how I landed my first job ever.

Edit: Oh yeah, got sidetracked lol,
Tips for an interview:
1. Eye contact
2. Strong Handshake
3. At LEAST khaki pants and dress shirt. NO jeans, NO t-shirt
4. No swearing
5. Offensive humor should be avoided
6. Can't remember which one, but if you look either to the left or right, it signifies "recal" in your brain (a.k.a truth), whereas the other direction means "creative" (a.k.a making somethign up). Just look it up
7. In other words, don't make stuff up. You are just setting yourself up to hate your job
8. Past references
9. Obviously, drug test
10. Show a willingless to learn and adapt. MOST places would rather have a good personality who can be trained, rather than an all-star who is an ass to everyone.

And thats all I can think of for now.

Calling potential employers is very annoying and the more you call the less like you are to get hired...especially after the employer says "no" or "we'll call you back if a position opens up"

Most places have a checklist of things they look for in potential canidates. Generally you can count on these things being on any employers:
Proper attire - don't look like a slob...tuck your shirt in and wear decent shoes
No Gum
Ability to focus on the converstation - don't go off on tangents (however you need to be personable and give more than one word answers)
Don't take their offer for a drink (you may after you have talked for more than half an hour)
Be upfront about any other commitments you have and be willing to work around them - i.e. don't say you can work any hours when we know you have to go to high school (yes I have had people do this)
No slouching, no tapping your foot, drumming your fingers or any other sign you are bored and want to get out of there.
Ask what hours they need filled and what the job details will be...think for a minute then give any examples of things you've done for school, sports, mom similar to the job (if the job details are stocking food, say that you always put away the groceries for mom)

And when they ask you why you want to work or are interested in working at their store the correct answer is you are looking for a job to get good experience and become more responsible/independant (never because you want the money) and show interest in the business...friends work there and have had good experiences, mom shops there, like thier set-up, anything that's honest

I think that about covers it.

Thanks for all the input, and yea most of the grocery stores uses a computer to set up applications. The used the one at Vons half way until it got disconnected, than they told me to just go to their site and apply through there and it was basically the same thing, everything identical. Hopefully I get at least one call for an interview.

my first job out of high school was actually at a Target. I was hired on as a seasonal temp during the holiday rush. Afterwards, guess Target management decided to keep me. I asked for hardlines, meaning not the clothing side, and spent most of the time in camera and sound (electronics), toys, sporting goods, and hardware.

during those times, I sold a lot of video games, TVs, and other electronics; unfortunately, it was not commissioned. when I covered toys, I would haul out the x-men action figures onto the sales floor where they'd fly off the shelves. (I got some good ones myself) I remembered this one time, when a collector came in asking for hot wheels, so I just gave him a whole shipment. He handed me one to keep [purchase] for myself. It was a BMW with yellow rims, and I still have no idea what it's worth. good times.

[quote name='zionoverfire']If you have any friends with jobs ask them if their company is hiring. I got my first job because of a friends recommendation.[/QUOTE]
I did that the first time I applied at Target. I knew someone and she said that I had potential but they still didn't hire me to who knows.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I did that the first time I applied at Target. I knew someone and she said that I had potential but they still didn't hire me to who knows.[/quote]

I was thinking something with a higher turnover rate, like fastfood.

Otherwise my suggestion is to apply to a couple of nursing homes, they typically have high turnover rates and a lot of them like to bring in highschoolers to work in the kitchen since the elderly tend to like having kids around.

Hey guys I have an interview at Circuit City on Friday at noon.

Guys got any Tips?

If I get Hired at CC. I would have worked at, EBGames, Best Buy and Circuit City. Haha.

I hope CC isnt ANYTHING like BB...

I hated BB's cult meetings in the mornings and twice a month. And there ability not to tell me what days I work. I would have to come to the store and check to see what days I work. AND they would change it alot, so I would either show up for work when I didnt have it or not show up for when I did. Without knowing...

And not to mention the UBER-JACK-ASS-HOMO-EROTIC-BIAST-fuck-TARD Managers that worked at Best Buy made working a living hell.

And also the brain washed hilter youth kids that worked at best Buy constantly saying, "I would never hurt the Best Buy. The Best Buy is life."

Get me da fock out of here!

But... what should I say at CC interview? Probably something along the lines of that?
What questions or statements should I say at the end of the interview? (to keep them reminded of me?) I was thinking... "You will fucking remeber me forever!"

[quote name='moojuice']What we said above. Also, avoid bashing of your previous employers. And use open body posture.[/quote]
What do you mean open body posture?

And it was suggested to leave the interview by asking questions or saying something about yourself. What should I say?

I kind of dont want the job. Just because im going to wait infront of THAT circuit city during the PS3 launch. And I will have to take off a couple days for it, and I think if they saw me waiting outside when I should be working, that they'll get mad.

=X

I dont care though. They can fire me. I just want a job right now to pay for my PS3 and Insurance and Gas, and then ill get another job after that. Good atitude? =P

[quote name='DarkNessBear']What do you mean open body posture?

And it was suggested to leave the interview by asking questions or saying something about yourself. What should I say?

I kind of dont want the job. Just because im going to wait infront of THAT circuit city during the PS3 launch. And I will have to take off a couple days for it, and I think if they saw me waiting outside when I should be working, that they'll get mad.

=X

I dont care though. They can fire me. I just want a job right now to pay for my PS3 and Insurance and Gas, and then ill get another job after that. Good atitude? =P[/quote]

For open body posture, it means stuff like shoulders squared to the person you are talking to, don't cross your arms, or anything that makes you look "to yourself" I guess, don't know how to explain it. As for asking questions, the interviewer will usually ask you if you have any anyways. Same goes for saying soething about yourself. Chances are, in the interview, you have to describe yourself anyways, so just make sure you get out what you want. As for camping out, beats me.

Anyone have any hints to getting hired at a Tanning Salon/Bed? I've got no prior experience (My first "real" job.), but everyone I talk to says all you do is sit, doodle, and read magazines. I already turned in my application saying I'm friendly and enthusiastic, since I have no idea what they're looking for in a Tanning Salon clerk.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Anyone have any hints to getting hired at a Tanning Salon/Bed? I've got no prior experience (My first "real" job.), but everyone I talk to says all you do is sit, doodle, and read magazines. I already turned in my application saying I'm friendly and enthusiastic, since I have no idea what they're looking for in a Tanning Salon clerk.[/quote]

Say you're gay. If you're a teenish guy they're just assuming you're there to oggle HS hotties tanning.

[quote name='Kayden']Say you're gay. If you're a teenish guy they're just assuming you're there to oggle HS hotties tanning.[/quote]

Lol, that reminds me of "In the Army Now", where they are acting gay to get out of the service, but they can;t kiss each other XD

[quote name='Kayden']Say you're gay. If you're a teenish guy they're just assuming you're there to oggle HS hotties tanning.[/quote]
I wouldn't be lying.

[quote name='moojuice']

Tips for an interview:
1. Eye contact
2. Strong Handshake
3. At LEAST khaki pants and dress shirt. NO jeans, NO t-shirt
4. No swearing
5. Offensive humor should be avoided
6. Can't remember which one, but if you look either to the left or right, it signifies "recal" in your brain (a.k.a truth), whereas the other direction means "creative" (a.k.a making somethign up). Just look it up
7. In other words, don't make stuff up. You are just setting yourself up to hate your job
8. Past references
9. Obviously, drug test
10. Show a willingless to learn and adapt. MOST places would rather have a good personality who can be trained, rather than an all-star who is an ass to everyone.

And thats all I can think of for now.[/quote]

moojuice Pretty much covered all the big concepts. I think the left\right may be reading a little to much into it, personally. Just maintain eyecontact in a non creepy way.
Don't look at these ideas as the standard you have you have to maintain while you work there (probably have their own uniform anyhow). Rather, look at it as proving to the people who may hire you that you actually WANT the job. Putting on nice clothes, good body language and communication, and interest in the job show's you are putting for -extra- effort to be noticed.

This can be good, some places can have insane amounts of applications come in, and being memorable in a positve way is HUGE.

Oh! And a few last things.
Not sure if this applies to where you're looking, but some more advice:
If you need to turn in your application, ask for -specifics- on how it should be turned in if it's not already clear.
If they want a copy of your highest level of education, a cover leter, a certain type of envelope.. DONT FORGET THAT. They can use small mistakes like that to weed you out of the application process.

Avoid saying "uhm" and "like" too much. Or at all. Taking your time to answer each question is better than sounding like you're making up answers.

And finally... dont wear a hat to the interview. That goes back to the whole "dress nice" thing.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I wouldn't be lying.[/quote]
Then it works out for everyone, fabulous!

Something just came into mind, so I figured I'd post it.
Bad answers for "Why do you want to work here?"
-I need money to buy "X" item.
-This place is close by where I live.
-I heard this was an easy place to work at.
-My parents made me look for a job.
-I like the employee discounts.
-This pays more than my last job (especially if you don't even know what the place pays).

And regarding the "I need money to..." one, if its for school, then its most likeley an acceptable answer, whereas if it were a personal item (new car, video game, etc.), employers see it as you want to get in, make money, and then quit. School on the other hand, they see it as you will be in it for the long run.

Sell yourself at your interview. A good first impression is key to getting the job. I cannot tell you how many people that I interview act like we should be bending backwards to hire them instead of the other way around. They come in give, one word answer to my questions and want to start negotiating salary before they leave. Safe to say those candidates don't stand a chance at getting a job. Act like you really want the job, and they will be more inclined to hire you.

Ok, I'm rebumping this since I applied at another Target and got an interview tomorrow. If I wear a dress shirt with no tie and some Dickies work pants, will that make a good impression? Do I have to button my dress shirt all the way or can I just leave the first button (top) unbuttoned?

if you interview, make sure you look clean.

also have a very firm handshake.

that rite there is like, 80% of the interview... I think (it might be more).

during the actual interview process, be enthusiastic,

but most importantly NEVER take your eyes off the interviewer's eyes (unless there are two of them).

this is ESPECIALLY useful in group interviews!! unconfident eye contact breaks any chance u had of getting hired.

finally: target is a horrible place to work!!!

if you're only 16, they'll most likely put you on cart attendent. they treat you like crap too!

for a first timer, you're damn near guaranteed employment in foodstuffs (like fast food)

I reccomend subway. it could get very busy making time fly fast, and you get free food!

edit: regarding your question, button up all the way, and tuck your shirt.

edit2: when applying to a store or somewhere, if u really wanna get in,

you're best to find someone who is working and try to strike up a conversation.

hopefully, you will be able to get his / her name,

becoz having an employese's name on your application as a referral makes your app stand out

Opt for a phone interview, tell them your half mexican/Asian, handicapped and your Dad's a lawyer, you're a lock.

Why not just wear a tie? It's better to be overdressed than under dressed.

If you're going with the dress shirt w/o tie I'd opt for leaving the top button unbuttoned just because that's how I and pretty much everyone wears a dress shirt sans tie.

oh yeah, forgot to mention, Food Lion doesn't do drug tests unless they suspect you.

Let's start a list of places that don't to random/mandatory drug tests.

Ok, I have about 30 mins before I go. Now I want to know if I should wear a collar/dress shirt with some slacks or just go in casual since it's Target and they aren't too much into the office look. What do you guys think?

At least khaki pants, and at least a collared(?) shirt. If you button it all the way and it looks like you are choking, leave the top one unbuttoned.

1) Dress respectfully. This is not when you go in wearing clothes YOU like or show YOUR personality.

1a) Don't wear pants at or below your hips. Wear pants that sit at your waist or *just* below... not inches below.

1b) Not jeans. If you have to wear khakis, you don't wear your favorite pair which are beat up, but the pair that look more like dress-slacks than beaters.

1c) Shirt is button down and buttoned. If you are not wearing a tie, and if the top button restricts your breathing, then the top button can be unbuttoned.

1d) Shirt is tucked in.

1e) A belt should be worn if it is *subtle* and matches nicely. It it stands out, go without the belt.

1f) No accessories, you're not a fashion model. I was once asked by two girls if I was hiring. They were both wearing sunglasses. Indoors. My answer was "no" even though I was hiring.

1g) For girls specifically: Look respectable. If you show up baring the belly, wearing tight clothes and/or are falling out of your top, your services will bests be served elsewhere.

2) Be well groomed.

2a) Be clean-shaven, unless you have a well-trimmed beard or goatee.

2b) Make sure your hair is either cut or trimmed respectably. If you look like you can't bother to comb your hair in the morning, no one will have you representing their business in any respects.

2c) Brush the teeth and don't forget the mouthwash.

2d) Make-up should be subtle. Girls walking in with goth makeup aren't going to be hired anywhere other than Hot Topic or a tattoo-parlor. Similarly, no blazing red lipsticks or over-done false eyelashes; you don't need to look like you're trying out at a beauty pagent after your interview.

3) Behave respectably.

3a) Stand tall, don't slouch. Arms at your sides or one hand (left) in pocket. because...

3b) Right hand should be out and ready for a solid handshake. Left hand, if it is in your pocket should come out before shaking hands.

3c) Speak clearly. Do not mumble. Do not say "like" "er" or "um" every other word.

3d) Maintain eye-contact.

3e) Look interested. You don't have to smile all the time, but just as you do when you're trying to ask a girl out, sell yourself. Be the person that THEY want to hire.

Those are the basic rules for how to look. I'll give a quick explination as to WHY you want to look a certain way. Because I know some of you younger kids are saying this is bogus and you'll go however you want to.

A company hires people to perform a certain job. The company pays money for you to do that job, while REPRESENTING the company. Be this in retail or corporate.

If a person walks in looking slovenly or with an arrogant or just an unprofessional attitude, the company is going to think, "that person wants the money, but won't do a dang thing." And companies are not in the business of handing out money so your attitude can sit around and be comfortable.

Companies have workforces which work together as a team. Each person has their responsibility so the overall objective is completed. If you walk in wearing clothes that show your identity, you're looking like someone who cares more about your identity than showing what a good worker you are and how interested you are in working for that company.

There's obviously more, but these are the most prevelant issues I see day to day.

bread's done
Back