To Kill a Last Movie You Ever Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I saw To Kill A Mockingbird on Firday (hence title), Friday the 13th part IV and V last night, and Doom this afternoon.

The Decalogue

Finally finished it, I've been watching a part a day for the last week and a half. Man, it is simply a stunning achievement, ten films filled with amazing drama and emotion, abounding moral questions, just a beautiful work of art.

Okay, time to go into detail concerning Doom.

I didn't go into the movie with high expectations, but I didn't leave too dissapointed. Like most people I'm pissed that they deviated from the game's plot, but hey, it's not like I wanted to play Doom 3 all over again. The first-person scene was gimmick-y, but fun to watch. The fight scene at the end seemed a bit contrived, and I saw it coming ever since Sarge ordered the marines to kill everyone. My favourite character was the Christian (Goat?), and it was sad to see how he went. The nano-walls were bad-assed, though.

My biggest complaint, though, is the prop production. The marine's weapons were obviously just bulked-up G36Ks, and in the armoury, I saw weapons used in other movies (the Super-Morita from the end of Starship Troopers 1 is seen on a rack in the armoury), I half expected to see the 10mm Pulse Rifle from Aliens sitting on a table.

I saw Doom a couple weeks, and I thought it was awful. Watched Layer Cake last night. Most of the intertwining ideas were a little underdeveloped, but other than that, it was a nice little nugget of fun. Nowhere near as fantastic as Lock Stock or Snatch, though.

I think the last one was Old Boy a few weeks ago.

I've been putting Last Life in the Universe off for a month now...maybe i'll watch it tonight.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I saw Doom a couple weeks, and I thought it was awful. Watched Layer Cake last night. Most of the intertwining ideas were a little underdeveloped, but other than that, it was a nice little nugget of fun. Nowhere near as fantastic as Lock Stock or Snatch, though.[/QUOTE]

So you'd recommend it? I just rented Kung Fu Hustle, and there was a trailer to Layer Cake, and it caught my attention because "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran was playing. It looked good.

I started watching Kung Fu Hustle the other night, but the last movie i've watched from beginning to end was Sideways (and I think I may have posted about it in the last movie thread). It was good.

[quote name='Scorch']So you'd recommend it? I just rented Kung Fu Hustle, and there was a trailer to Layer Cake, and it caught my attention because "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran was playing. It looked good.

I started watching Kung Fu Hustle the other night, but the last movie i've watched from beginning to end was Sideways (and I think I may have posted about it in the last movie thread). It was good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I say go for it. The end is good. And Apossum, wasn't Oldboy just fucking awesome? I'm looking to buy that sucker.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Yeah, I say go for it. The end is good. And Apossum, wasn't Oldboy just fucking awesome? I'm looking to buy that sucker.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll check it out, along with Oldboy. I'm also looking forward to seeing (Gus Van Sant's) Last Days.

Dragons Forever

Watched it again this morning. Wheels on Meals and this movie are totally awesome. When you have Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao in the same movie, how can it suck?

Now I just need some suggestions for what to rent when I go back to the video store later this week.

Solaris

The Tarkovsky original (duh :) ) An absolute masterpiece, not just one of the best sci-fi films I've ever seen, but probably one of the best films I've ever seen period. I don't think I can really put into words exactly what makes it so amazing; suffice to say, its slow, ambiguous, beautiful, and mindblowing.

Boogie Nights (1997) - 4/5 - I hated Magnolia with a passion. But, I always keep an open mind. The first half didn't interest me much, seemed to beat you over the head with the whole "WOOHOO LOOK HOW MUCH LIKE THE SEVENTIES WE MADE THIS MOVIE" vibe. Then, when it turned darker, it was pretty stunning for the remainder. It seemed like something out of a much different, and far superior, film.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - 5/5 - Still highly effective after more than 30 years and 4+ viewings. Very tense and claustrophobic with great ambience, especially when you consider its budget. Most of the acting is sub-par, but the good far outweighs the bad.

Stroszek (1977) - 5/5 - Wow. What an incredibly bizarre and hauntingly beautiful film. I don't know if it's casting or direction or (most likely) a combination of the two, but Bruno S. has great presence. I love the way that at any point, you can watch for a few moments and just know that it's a Herzog film.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition (2001) - 4/5 - Unfortunately, my personal life intruded and made it impossible for me to concentrate on the second half of the film, but I still really like the film, even if it doesn't hold up so well after 4 or 5 viewings, heh.

Tunes of Glory (1960) - 3/5 - I really liked the characters here, but the whole thing felt pretty stagey and calculated. Even though he hammed it up a tiny bit too much, I did enjoy Sir Alec's performance and liked the way his character always seemed to be scheming, even when he had 'reformed'.

Ballad of a Soldier (1959) - 5/5 - Beautiful, beautiful film. Great imagery, gripping story and a flood of genuine emotion.

Foreign Correspondent (1940) - 5/5 - I'm always amazed at how well Hitchcock can stage a scene and draw the viewer in. It did drag a wee bit towards the middle, but only because I was so interested in the plot. Still, it's another great film from the Master. Also, the effects were great, especially for their time.

Saw 2, in some ways it was better than the first, in other ways it wasn't, great movie though!!!

EDIT: come on "The VGM" I saw your pathetic stereyotypical post on my previous posts about Saw II. I guess based on a person's taste in music is based on what kind of movies they like eh?

Nosferatu, Phantom Der Nacht

Great Herzog film, a very different feel for a horror movie, but undeniably Herzog. And Kinski is, unsurprisingly, awesome as Dracula.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico followed by Left Behind. I had picked up both DVDs on impulse at Walmart in the $5.50 bin. My take away lesson: Never buy a DVD on impulse, even if it's only $5.50. Ugh.

Land of the Dead - 2nd time watching it after seeing it in the theatres, found it was better this time.

Shaun of the Dead - I don't think I will ever get tired of this movie :D

I had an animation weekend:

Robots - much better than I expected/than I had heard. Was a fun movie, definitely a step up from their previous flick (Ice Age, which wasn't terrible but wasn't that great either).

Steamboy - much worse than I expected/than I had heard. Ugh. If it took the Akira guy 10+ years to make THIS, I suggest he take at least 20 for his next one. Earth to the guy who wrote the plot: everyone has seen Star Wars, so it's kinda hard to get away with ripping off its plot line.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Killer Klowns from Outer Space

A true Halloween tradition... :D[/QUOTE]

Such a horrible movie. I fell asleep the first (and only) time I tried to sit through it. :oops: :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Such a horrible movie. I fell asleep the first (and only) time I tried to sit through it. :oops: :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's because you hate the 80s...

And that means you suck...

I was on IMDb last night looking around at plot keywords, and I noticed certain patterns in my favorite movies. Here's a list of some of the more common ones (alphabetical order):

Anti Hero
Black Comedy
Dark Comedy
Disturbing
Midlife Crisis
Neo Noir
Nihilism
Satire
Social Satire
Surreal
Twist In The End

[quote name='Saucy Jack']That's because you hate the 80s...

And that means you suck... [/QUOTE]

No, you suck. :baby: :lol:

The Seige

Gripping movie that could happen any second of any day with the world we live in. Denzel is amazing like always.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I've had that forever but haven't watched it. It's right after Lost in Translation in my DVD changer. :lol:[/QUOTE]
"My wife sometimes forgets that she is not a space alien"

Ranger Brad: Well again I didn't mean to throw a damper. Believe me that's the last thing I'd like to throw. I don't want to throw anything at all really. But when folks are horribly mutilated, I feel it's my job to tell others. We take our horrible mutilations seriously up in these parts.
Betty Armstrong: I'm sure you do. Honey, the Ranger's just doing his job.
Dr. Paul Armstrong: Of course he is. I'm sorry Ranger Brad. I guess all this talk of horrible mutilation has me on edge.
Ranger Brad: That's all right Dr. Armstrong. This horrible mutilation has a whole lot of people on a whole lot of edges.

"Aliens? Us? Is this one of your Earth jokes?"

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back