Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']Geez... I picked up the last copy of the Target steelbook version and it has a dent (and a rip in the shrinkwrap).

Is this limited or something I can pick up later? I'm a bit too tied up to try and track down another copy elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I went right back today and got an exchange. They still had two copies and they exchanged it no problem.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Looks like the 360 has timed exclusivity with this DLC, I usually hate it when that happens but considering how horrible the mulitplayer is in this game I don't care this time around. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You guessed correctly!

Um… and I posted about Microsoft's "time exclusivity contract" with Crystal Dynamics yesterday. You can read it here.

I agree with you, by the way — I'm not a big fan of the multiplayer content here (or actualy multiplayer in general). Oh well…

anyone tried out the skins? any of em look cool? My money's on aviatrix. Also how many weapons are in the hitman pack? are those any good?

[quote name='mikemb402']999 in stock on amazon for the collectors edition....definitely feel like the price is going to drop[/QUOTE]

$60 would be nice :)

Does the Hunter skin from The FInal Hours Edition from Amazon get sent in an e-mail or is it inside the case? I pre-ordered the day before so I haven't gotten it yet.

[quote name='Domo7']I dont know which one to get guys. My local Target has the steelbook still in stock, best buy has both their regular and special editions available. What is the general consensus?[/QUOTE]

Anyone :cry:

[quote name='Domo7']Anyone :cry:[/QUOTE]

I would go with the steelbook, it appears to be limited and looks pretty cool. If I didn't pay for my Best Buy copy with gift cards I would have picked it up myself. I'm willing to bet the CE will be around for a while and will drop in price.

[quote name='Domo7']I dont know which one to get guys. My local Target has the steelbook still in stock, best buy has both their regular and special editions available. What is the general consensus?[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you want. If you're talking the Best Buy bundle version, it includes a 48-page hardcover comic book and probably has the preorder dlc card inside. So it's basically up to you... Do you want a comic book and dlc or a steelbook?

[quote name='RenoVatio']I went right back today and got an exchange. They still had two copies and they exchanged it no problem.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't really help. I already said I picked up the last copy at my Target, so I can't exchange it there. I'll have to find it elsewhere.

Went through a few pages but can't find the answer.

What is the difference between Amazon Final Hour and Best Buy version with comic book.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']Amazon has been annoying me lately with me getting my items shipped 2-3 days after they are supposed to, so I complained to a CS rep last night about it and they upgraded my Tomb Raider from March 12th delivery to same day delivery for free and offered me an apology.

Before I went to work today my tracking said "Will arrive by March 6th 8 pm." Chances I actually get it by then? Less than an hour to go and still hasn't arrived. I don't think I've ever received a package in my life after 6:30 pm. The storm out here on the east coast may have affected it.[/QUOTE]

Are you a Prime member? I am and I never had any issues with them shipping my items late.

Amazon

1. The Final Hours of Tomb Raider eBook
2. The Art of Tomb Raider hard copy book
3. Hunter single-player skin

Best Buy

1. Tomb Raider: The Beginnings hard copy book
2. Aviatrix single-player skin

[quote name='SMBScooby']Went through a few pages but can't find the answer.

What is the difference between Amazon Final Hour and Best Buy version with comic book.[/QUOTE]

Amazon

1. The Final Hours of Tomb Raider eBook
2. The Art of Tomb Raider hard copy book
3. Hunter single-player skin

Best Buy

1. Tomb Raider: The Beginnings hard copy book
2. Aviatrix single-player skin

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Are you a Prime member? I am and I never had any issues with them shipping my items late.[/QUOTE]

Not a Prime member. Up until the last couple weeks every item I ever ordered from Amazon always shipped on the date of release and many times the day before.

I've had 3 or 4 things over the last couple weeks ship like 2-3 days after release. Never happened to me before. Before I complained my expected delivery date for Tomb Raider was March 12th, a week after release. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Amazon never used to take that long. Ever game I ever ordered from them shipped on same day and got here in 2 days. 3 max.

I don't know what their deal has been lately. My Hyrule Historia that I pre-ordered weeks before release shipped a week after it came out, and I know plenty of people that pre-ordered it a day before had theirs shipped within a day.

sorry if this has been answered already, but does anyone know if the artbook with the CE is the same as the artbook with Amazon's Final Hours edition?

edit: sorry I was confused, seems like they're the same since the CE doesn't come with one, so the CE comes with the Final Hours contents when bought from Amazon

[quote name='Vinny']That doesn't really help. I already said I picked up the last copy at my Target, so I can't exchange it there. I'll have to find it elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
I tried to exchange my copy as well. All of the copies had a particular rip in it.

(randomly grabs someone while shouting, "Come back! I want to help you!")

[quote name='RenoVatio']anyone tried out the skins? any of em look cool? My money's on aviatrix. Also how many weapons are in the hitman pack? are those any good?[/QUOTE]
Hitman stuff rocks mp and i love mp on ps3. I did not start single yet. Scav hunt stuff guess single player only. I was hoping it was mp but oh well.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Looks like the 360 has timed exclusivity with this DLC, I usually hate it when that happens but considering how horrible the mulitplayer is in this game I don't care this time around. :lol:[/QUOTE]

How is the multiplayer horrible?
[quote name='strizay']I'm surprised nobody is trying to pimp their codes by now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='finstersucks']I tried but nobody wants it. Feel like a $2 crack whore[/QUOTE]

Because you can buy the codes for $1-3 right now or in the near future depending on platform.

[quote name='strizay']I'm surprised nobody is trying to pimp their codes by now.[/QUOTE]

This game's DLC is all over the place... I really hope they release a "complete" version later on. But at least this game is also getting a lot of physical goodies... too bad those are all over the place too.

where can you buy the codes from? I've seen them on ebay for like $20. I don't want them that bad though, ha.

[quote name='panda911']How is the multiplayer horrible?

Because you can buy the codes for $1-3 right now or in the near future depending on platform.[/QUOTE]

Hmm well multiplayer is pretty bad. It's so bad it's good haha. I like it but its honestly a poor mans uncharted. It's sluggish and glitchy. Hopefully they patch it up and add improvements. It's passable but not great.

It's good for 360 only players since they haven't experienced uncharteds multi.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Hmm well multiplayer is pretty bad. It's so bad it's good haha. I like it but its honestly a poor mans uncharted. It's sluggish and glitchy. Hopefully they patch it up and add improvements. It's passable but not great.

It's good for 360 only players since they haven't experienced uncharteds multi.[/QUOTE]

I actually quite enjoyed the bow, the climbing hook and the way you can blow up parts of the map. Sure it lags, but I'm sure a patch can fix that. Felt fun enough to me ... and Uncharted 3's MP was a poor man's uncharted compared to Uncharted 2.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Hmm well multiplayer is pretty bad. It's so bad it's good haha. I like it but its honestly a poor mans uncharted. It's sluggish and glitchy. Hopefully they patch it up and add improvements. It's passable but not great.

It's good for 360 only players since they haven't experienced uncharteds multi.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking. Feel likes Uncharted with a mix of max payne 3 for me.

Multiplayer is bad but it's fun to play. If more people start playing and they update it Ill play it more often.

[quote name='panda911']How is the multiplayer horrible?[/QUOTE]

Animations suck, very sluggish gameplay (reminds me of Max Payne 3 MP in that regard), only 5 maps, glitches (I got stuck in the map a few times) Melee system is horrible, guns sound terrible, ect ect. Feels like I'm playing an early beta version or something. I don't see the community thriving for this game on any platform.

[quote name='etcrane']I actually quite enjoyed the bow, the climbing hook and the way you can blow up parts of the map. Sure it lags, but I'm sure a patch can fix that. Felt fun enough to me ... and Uncharted 3's MP was a poor man's uncharted compared to Uncharted 2.[/QUOTE]

Yea that stuff you mentioned about tr I love too. I do disagree with uncharted 3 being worse. I enjoyed u3s multi much more than 2. It felt faster and more relentless. I haven't played in a good year or so though, but playing tomb raider just makes me want to play u3. That's all. I'd miss the bow though lol.

Lets hope a patch does fix tomb raider, but they really need to focus the support. Naughty dog has been amazing with their uncharted support.

I did just not on here sold the comic for 8......sold the controller dlc for 7.....and the rest of the best buy codes for 15.........sell early before they realize the multiplayer sucks
EBAY!!!

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Animations suck, very sluggish gameplay (reminds me of Max Payne 3 MP in that regard), only 5 maps, glitches (I got stuck in the map a few times) Melee system is horrible, guns sound terrible, ect ect. Feels like I'm playing an early beta version or something. I don't see the community thriving for this game on any platform.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes. My thoughts more fleshed out haha. It really has a crap ton of potential, but I just don't see them fixing it and supporting it. Pretty much everything needs refinement.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Ah yes. My thoughts more fleshed out haha. It really has a crap ton of potential, but I just don't see them fixing it and supporting it. Pretty much everything needs refinement.[/QUOTE]
You playing on 360? Flawless on ps3 the 3+ hours i played tonight.

The only thing I'm kind pissed about Tomb Raider is how there's achievements that require you to prestige 3 times, the community isn't going to last long and it's going to take a while to get to lvl 60.

I know you can boost it in private matches but that's boring. ( To me )

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']Not a Prime member. Up until the last couple weeks every item I ever ordered from Amazon always shipped on the date of release and many times the day before.

I've had 3 or 4 things over the last couple weeks ship like 2-3 days after release. Never happened to me before. Before I complained my expected delivery date for Tomb Raider was March 12th, a week after release. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Amazon never used to take that long. Ever game I ever ordered from them shipped on same day and got here in 2 days. 3 max.
[/QUOTE]

if you don't have prime and did free super saver shipping 1 week after release sounds normal to me. I would not suggest using FSSS with preorders

I don't know if this is the right place to go but:
Anyone giving (or selling) away their DLC codes for ps3? I will buy via paypal depending if the price feels right. PM me!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FNL 4EVA']You playing on 360? Flawless on ps3 the 3+ hours i played tonight.[/QUOTE]

No, Im playing on PS3. Its not so much about the lag, its just fundamental game design that is lacking. You can't say that clunky melee combat is flawless haha. The hit detection is straight up awful.

but I'm still having fun with it, problems and all, But its far from flawless haha.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']No, Im playing on PS3. Its not so much about the lag, its just fundamental game design that is lacking. You can't say that clunky melee combat is flawless haha. The hit detection is straight up awful.

but I'm still having fun with it, problems and all, But its far from flawless haha.[/QUOTE]
The melee u just have to get better. You catch people off guard and do it. I am happy they did it like that. You do know they also got a melee perk you can use. I do not have a issue i catch people camping and wham. This is not a kung fu game... I recommend more practice. I know when to use and not. You know if they made it like you want everyone would be doing it nonstop. The stuff works fine for me. I recommend Sleeping dogs good brawler.

So Bestbuy decided to screw me over on my pre-order. I went and pre-ordered the Collector's Edition last Thursday and went to pick it up yesterday afternoon, but for whatever reason, they were sold out of the xbox 360 version. Apparently there was either a mix-up with handing out xbox collector's edition instead of ps3 editions to customers, or that one of the employees thought it was okay to allow some of the customers to upgrade from their regular edition pre-order to the collector's edition.

I was then told by one of the employees that there was pretty much nothing they could do. One of my friends also works there, and although he tried to think of different ways to solve the problem (calling other bestbuys, etc.) he pretty much told me to wait it out and see if anyone returns it.

I'm going back tomorrow to see if I could talk to the store manager. Has anyone else dealt with this situation before and have any tips? I was going to give him the ole' you're losing a customer bit, but other suggestions are gladly welcome.

Looks like they took down completing the rest of the scavenger hunt challenges. I had 3 left to do for pictures but they aren't showing up anymore.

[quote name='cheap05']
I'm going back tomorrow to see if I could talk to the store manager. Has anyone else dealt with this situation before and have any tips? I was going to give him the ole' you're losing a customer bit, but other suggestions are gladly welcome.[/QUOTE]

The 360 version of the CE is still available from .com so it should be transferable. See if they can do a warehouse transfer to the store. Then you won't have to go through any hoops especially if you preordered for the $20 bonus.

If they won't do it for you go to another bestbuy and explain the situation. Have them do it for you and have them use your preorder from the other store. They will have to sell you the game in full before they get it in store. But as long as you have that original preorder attached to the game's final purchase you should be ok.

Bestbuy.com can't do anything to ensure you the bonus even if you wanted to buy it from there. So try in store first and if all else fails buy it online and complain to back office. I'm sure you'll get your bonus and something extra for the hassle.

[quote name='cheap05']So Bestbuy decided to screw me over on my pre-order. I went and pre-ordered the Collector's Edition last Thursday and went to pick it up yesterday afternoon, but for whatever reason, they were sold out of the xbox 360 version. Apparently there was either a mix-up with handing out xbox collector's edition instead of ps3 editions to customers, or that one of the employees thought it was okay to allow some of the customers to upgrade from their regular edition pre-order to the collector's edition.

I was then told by one of the employees that there was pretty much nothing they could do. One of my friends also works there, and although he tried to think of different ways to solve the problem (calling other bestbuys, etc.) he pretty much told me to wait it out and see if anyone returns it.

I'm going back tomorrow to see if I could talk to the store manager. Has anyone else dealt with this situation before and have any tips? I was going to give him the ole' you're losing a customer bit, but other suggestions are gladly welcome.[/QUOTE]

common problem at bestbuy, never trust them to hold your item for you. I remember at my bestbuy they put out all the zelda collectors editions for people to buy and screwed everyone with preorders.

however they still have it for sale on their website and it's not sold out anywhere so I don't see why the manager can't order one for you and for you to pick it up when it gets in.. Whenever they screw up my order they just order a new one, although you're probably screwed for the $20 reward because you have to pick it up within 7 days.

I doubt this would apply to anyone else and I'm sure it's frowned upon, but this is my story from the last two days:

-Picked up Target 360 Steelbook version first thing Tuesday morning
-Received BB preorder of regular version in the mail yesterday
-Decided I'd rather have the CE, took BB copy to store and exchanged for CE (they had me call RZ right after and they just put $20 in my account since the exchange would void the preorder bonus)
-Opened CE in the car and took out the game, drove next door to Target with the receipt from Tuesday and got a refund (barcodes scanned fine, no questions asked)
-Could have walked out, but went back to the game department and picked up another Steelbook so I could open one to put in the CE and keep the first one sealed

So in the end I certainly spent more than I intended on this title, but as everyone who has seen it can agree, that Steelbook is damn sexy and probably one of the best I've ever seen.

While I don't think I did anything wrong (especially since I kept throwing money at Target and BB to upgrade and whatnot), I'm sure a mod will disagree and probably delete this. :)

[quote name='chriscolbert']I doubt this would apply to anyone else and I'm sure it's frowned upon, but this is my story from the last two days:

-Picked up Target 360 Steelbook version first thing Tuesday morning
-Received BB preorder of regular version in the mail yesterday
-Decided I'd rather have the CE, took BB copy to store and exchanged for CE (they had me call RZ right after and they just put $20 in my account since the exchange would void the preorder bonus)
-Opened CE in the car and took out the game, drove next door to Target with the receipt from Tuesday and got a refund (barcodes scanned fine, no questions asked)
-Could have walked out, but went back to the game department and picked up another Steelbook so I could open one to put in the CE and keep the first one sealed

So in the end I certainly spent more than I intended on this title, but as everyone who has seen it can agree, that Steelbook is damn sexy and probably one of the best I've ever seen.

While I don't think I did anything wrong (especially since I kept throwing money at Target and BB to upgrade and whatnot), I'm sure a mod will disagree and probably delete this. :)[/QUOTE]

when I get my $45 Newegg copy, I'll be doing the same thing...I'm sure we're not the only ones

bread's done
Back