Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not that I needed another controller, but meant to pick it up due to the $20 off discount...totally forgot to pick it up. :/[/QUOTE]

Just show the receipt and they should be able to price adjust

[quote name='T1NY']Just show the receipt and they should be able to price adjust[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, but if they do a return/rebuy, they're bound to fuck up my $20 pre-order/purchase promo.

Huh that's weird. This is just a guess but maybe that's only available for xbl, since on the commercial it says exclusive content for the 360 but that's long shot since some of those costumes are for the ps3.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I thought about that, but if they do a return/rebuy, they're bound to fuck up my $20 pre-order/purchase promo.[/QUOTE]

When they had the xbox live 12+1 promo for Halo 4, I bought the game at one store then went to another store, told them my situation and they price adjusted on the spot. No return/ rebuy.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']There's not a single piece of Tomb Raider DLC up on PSN :([/QUOTE]

It's a bit of a complicated situation…
Right now it's not quite known when any Tomb Raider content will appear on PSN.

The problem is Microsoft — they signed a "time exclusivity contract" with Crystal Dynamics back in June 2012 for Tomb Raider DLC. Basically just another annoying marketing gimmick MS paid $$$ for just so they could spout out "get all your Tomb Raider DLC first on Xbox Live" in TV ads.

This exclusivity arrangement is confirmed to relate to any post-release DLC game content such as new levels/areas & MP maps. Judging from similar deals Microsoft made in the past, these exclusivity deals are usually for a month, so don't expect to see the big DLC releases on PSN for a bit.

As for all that smaller pre-order content like skins, weapons, etc., it's unknown whether it's part of the same exclusivity deal or not. Most likely it's just a temporary delay, and we'll see it arriving on PSN next week or so. Hopefully.

For now, looks like we just have to be patient and see how it pans out…

Question is anyone Amazon tombraider.com/hunt codes working? All I get is Invalid Pre-order code

[quote name='Darvan']Question is anyone Amazon tombraider.com/hunt codes working? All I get is Invalid Pre-order code[/QUOTE]

I'm getting the same

[quote name='Darvan']Question is anyone Amazon tombraider.com/hunt codes working? All I get is Invalid Pre-order code[/QUOTE]

Someone on a gaming forum said that they had the same problem and used the photo upload option to upload a copy of their amazon receipt instead and got their DLC e-mail right away.

So am I. I contacted Amazon and they told me they'd get back to me in 24-48 hours. Meanwhile my game is expected to take a week to get here for whatever reasons. I'm a patient guy, but I'm a bit annoyed with Amazon today.

You guys are talking about the redemption code or the code to sign up on the scavenger hunt?

I have an extra redemption code since amazon gave me two not sure if the other works though it's worth a shot.

As for the game just got it about an hr ago. Probably my favorite CE/LE in a while really love it. Took me a while to play for installing and redeeming all those codes I had haha.

Haven't play single player since I'm in a xbl party with friends but multiplayer is fun as hell just running and meleeing people haha.

I only got 2 dlc codes emailed to me from the scavenger hunt...did I do something wrong?

edit: I got the first 2 dlc skills. I just did all the trivia questions. no idea how to upload pics as I don't any mention about the scavenger hunt

Amazon got back to me. They said you need two codes. One is a registration code. The other is a DLC redemption code. The problem is, I never got the registration code. Now I do, and I entered it and it works.

For anyone curious enough for an in depth look, I just finished my review of the Amazon Collector's Edition. I thought it was pretty lackluster except for the figure. I think the figure is a must have for figure collectors.

Link to review!

Enjoy, there's photos aplenty.

Here is the deal with the amazon codes for the scavenger hunt. They original sent out a promo code which showed up and invalid preorder code. I knew that the Scavenger Hunt ended when the game was released so I pre-ordered it from Gamestop to get access to the scavenger hunt.

Once I did the scavenger hunt and the game was released, it asked me for the purchase promo code (which is the one Amazon sent). Basically, amazon never sent out the ACCESS codes, only the redeem DLC codes (which are useless if you didn't get access to play the game and get earn the DLC by doing the trivia and picture challenges).

I then cancelled my Gamestop pre-order to get my 5$ back and used the Amazon code to redeem the DLC I earned via the Gamestop access code. IT IS RIDICULOUS.

Quick question, is the game sealed inside the Tomb Raider Final Hours edition? Or is it just the slipcover that is sealed and the game on the inside is unsealed?

[quote name='Radewagon']For anyone curious enough for an in depth look, I just finished my review of the Amazon Collector's Edition. I thought it was pretty lackluster except for the figure. I think the figure is a must have for figure collectors.

Link to review!

Enjoy, there's photos aplenty.[/QUOTE]
(secretly imitates scene from Grandma's Boy) Just kidding.

Amazon blew me off saying contact enix and enix says contact amazon. Why i hate preorder dlc sometimes. ahhh......

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']it's not even the CE.[/QUOTE]
Auto notify sent email with link of ce back instock. I know others bought from that link and msrp is ce price as well. I bet some will score or just return if by chance is not which i doubt but not 100% ;) :bouncy:

[quote name='Radewagon']For anyone curious enough for an in depth look, I just finished my review of the Amazon Collector's Edition. I thought it was pretty lackluster except for the figure. I think the figure is a must have for figure collectors.

Link to review!

Enjoy, there's photos aplenty.[/QUOTE]

The figure is a variant then regular figure that comes out in june for $65. So $100 - $65 is $35 for the game and tin and other stuff. I am shocked how many people think the same way you do. There is no way they can please people even if they gave it away. I am sorry but all i can say is wow. You even mentioned the figure is a must.

I just hope i will not hear this stuff nonstop like halo ce stuff. Sorry i am not trying to pick a fight. I just can not understand why you think that way.

To each there own if you want to sell that ce for cheap lmk. ;)

for those who have played or beaten the game... im wondering how it compares to arkham city?

is the story as epic? is there as much content as AC?

I'm a few hours in and this game is awesome. After seeing comparison videos between the Xbox 360 and PS3 version - I was kind of nervous that I had picked the 360 version. But the calibration on their system must have been way off (too much gamma). The game looks absolutely gorgeous on my 360 -- I have no regrets getting it for this system.

Maybe I was just lucky, but both the initial promo access code + the final redemption code Amazon sent me worked fine on the Scavenger Hunt website. Plus all five codes I received from the Hunt worked fine as well. (Although they did have an issue making it impossible to upload any photos using Safari. Hmph.)

What I DID have a problem with was one of the bonus codes I redeemed from BradyGames Tomb Raider Limited Edition Strategy Guide — the "Scavenger Executioner" code was accepted & downloaded perfectly; however, the "Scavenger Scout" code sent me was denied ("The code you entered may not be correct or may no longer be valid.")

I contacted BradyGames via their Facebook page and was told:
"We are aware of an issue redeeming the codes for the PS3 with our international customers. Are you outside of the US? Please let me know your location and I can give you new codes."

I'm not international, so it seems there's also the occasional issue redeeming them within the U.S. as well. After providing BradyGames with my details and the non-working code as proof, they sent me a new code a couple minutes later that worked perfectly. Now that's what I call good customer service!

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']The figure is a variant then regular figure that comes out in june for $65. So $100 - $65 is $35 for the game and tin and other stuff. I am shocked how many people think the same way you do. There is no way they can please people even if they gave it away. I am sorry but all i can say is wow. You even mentioned the figure is a must.

I just hope i will not hear this stuff nonstop like halo ce stuff. Sorry i am not trying to pick a fight. I just can not understand why you think that way.

To each there own if you want to sell that ce for cheap lmk. ;)[/QUOTE]
I definitely agree, you're getting the game at MSRP and the figure at almost half msrp which would have been awesome by itself, but you get a bunch of other stuff as well for basically free (physical soundtrack too which is awesome).

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I definitely agree, you're getting the game at MSRP and the figure at almost half msrp which would have been awesome by itself, but you get a bunch of other stuff as well for basically free (physical soundtrack too which is awesome).[/QUOTE]

no, there is no way that figure is $65 alone by itself. I want it really bad but cant justify how that little toy is more than $20

[quote name='red_devil32']no, there is no way that figure is $65 alone by itself. I want it really bad but cant justify how that little toy is more than $20[/QUOTE]

I would have really liked a statue of Lara - would have looked great next to some of my others.

I definitely see the appeal for collecting Kai Arts figures though - need to have some deep pockets!

[quote name='red_devil32']no, there is no way that figure is $65 alone by itself. I want it really bad but cant justify how that little toy is more than $20[/QUOTE]
No, just because you don't want to pay more than $20 doesn't mean it's worth any less. Have you ever bought figures of this sort?

Saying you can't justify the price of the figure is perfectly fine. Denying the price of it is absolutely incorrect, so please stop spreading bad information. It is $65 by itself:

Kirin Hobby $64.99 + shipping
BigBadToyStore $64.99 + shipping
HobbyLinkJapan (sold out) $66.35 + shipping
AmiAmi (sold out) $50.42 + shipping
Anime-Island $52.69 + shipping
MegapopCherry $55 + shipping

So yeah, it's not even close to $20 and probably never will be. That's why the collector's edition of this game is a pretty good value even at MSRP. If it lasts long enough to get a good price drop and you can nab one at that time, then kudos.

This DLC news just in from the official Tomb Raider Blog:

Caves & Cliffs Multiplayer Map Pack Announced First for Xbox Live

Don’t want your time on Yamatai to end? Try your hand fighting alongside (or against)
the Endurance crew in Tomb Raider’s multiplayer mode, soon to include even more
maps!

Today we’re revealing that DLC hinted at on stage at E3 2012, the Caves and Cliffs
Multiplayer Map Pack, coming first exclusively to Xbox Live. Each of the maps is
playable in all four game modes: Rescue, Cry for Help, Team Deathmatch, and Free
for All.

The maps include:

Scavenger Caverns
An extensive subterranean network of caves used by the island’s scavengers as an
underground prison

Cliff Shantytown
This scavenger settlement was built high up on the island cliffs. Its many layers hide
some of the deadliest traps on the island

The Burning Village
A raging fire has embraced an abandoned Japanese village, the burning buildings
offer multiple ways to escape or engage your enemies

The Caves & Cliffs Multiplayer Map Pack will go on sale March 19 for 400 Microsoft
Points.

Some additional information about this and other DLC appeared earlier today on Eurogamer:

[The Caves & Cliffs Multiplayer Map Pack] will then launch for other platforms at an undisclosed later time.

But it looks as if one one of these is already available on Xbox Marketplace - Shanty Town costs 240 Microsoft Points.

There are 19 add-ons already available for Tomb Raider, including new player skins, weapons and time-saver DLC for a number of upgrades.

just wanted to ask again for anyone that got the final hours edition of the game from amazon, is the game itself sealed inside the bigger package?

I want to open up the package and take out the cover and artbook but sell the game as I'm going to keep my best buy one (but want to keep the artbook and cover). if it's not sealed on the inside I might reconsider.

Would anyone be willing to help me out with getting a xbox360 steelbook from Target? I would just wanted the outer slipcover and the steelbook, I have the game from the collectors edition already. Would be willing to do $40.

[quote name='snakeinthegrass']Would anyone be willing to help me out with getting a xbox360 steelbook from Target? I would just wanted the outer slipcover and the steelbook, I have the game from the collectors edition already. Would be willing to do $40.[/QUOTE]

PM'd

[quote name='tlwizard']just wanted to ask again for anyone that got the final hours edition of the game from amazon, is the game itself sealed inside the bigger package?

I want to open up the package and take out the cover and artbook but sell the game as I'm going to keep my best buy one (but want to keep the artbook and cover). if it's not sealed on the inside I might reconsider.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the game is sealed and inside a slipcover that holds the game case and the book.

Not sure if serious...

The only way you will be able to get it at $20, is if you are able to track down the manufacturing facility (which I think is around Shen Zhen for Play Arts? I forgot, somebody enlighten me if possible), and have the connections to score one directly from there.

[quote name='hoofrog']Yes, the game is sealed and inside a slipcover that holds the game case and the book.[/QUOTE]Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Geez... I picked up the last copy of the Target steelbook version and it has a dent (and a rip in the shrinkwrap).

Is this limited or something I can pick up later? I'm a bit too tied up to try and track down another copy elsewhere.

[quote name='Krispow']This DLC news just in from the official Tomb Raider Blog:[/QUOTE]

Looks like the 360 has timed exclusivity with this DLC, I usually hate it when that happens but considering how horrible the mulitplayer is in this game I don't care this time around. :lol:

I dont know which one to get guys. My local Target has the steelbook still in stock, best buy has both their regular and special editions available. What is the general consensus?

bread's done
Back